Tacker

Technic 2014 Discussion and Speculation

Maybe is this set made by volvo suggestion,cheap and interesting commercial is great for business.But lego is very limited, they must make this loader very realistic.

Something's bugging me....

Why would TLG go through all the trouble of having a Volvo license, instead of just making the model without brand designation?! They have never (or almost never, not sure) used a license for construction equipment (Unimog excluded). The 8265 didn't need a license either?

me too (bugging): what is so appealing with a new frontloader????? there was recently already the very good 8265, powered with a motor it look good, is fun to build and play... IMO just adding an even bigger and RC Loader is quite boring... IMHO TLG is quite unimaginative and uninspired with the latest models, at least full year 2013 and also 1h 2014 (the airplane is nothing more than the 9396 in the shape of a plane instead of a heli - more or less the same mechanisms).. and now as flagship of 2H a frontloader.................... :wacko: <yawn>

always the same stuff: tow trucks, loaders, mobile cranes and so on...

what about new universal sets, what about technic creatures (like the famous T-rex), what about mechanical robots, what about a new supercar which earns the name "supercar" (8070 wasn't a supercar) with really new parts which bring the technic theme forward (rims for suspension, better gearbox-parts etc.), what about a transformer, what about a sophisticated garbage Truck, what about a really pneumatic-flagship, what about the return of the flex-system, what about anything else instead always the same construction stuff, racers, crawlers?

well, maybe i'm the only one who is bored ... than it's ok because TLG should give the market what the market wants.... apparently the market wants construction equipment :wink::sick:

You're absolutely right, I agree with everything you said! The designers seem to have no more inventive. And I would add that if these rumors come true, set 42025 will be my only purchase of the year.

Let's not forget this has nothing to do with designers not being inventive anymore. They make what TLG decides to bring to the market.

Yeah, sad reality. I wonder why TLG occasionally does some kind of survey: that would make us more happy!

Let's not forget this has nothing to do with designers not being inventive anymore. They make what TLG decides to bring to the market.

yes, probably you are right.... then i should write: Why TLG doesn't have more boldness?! They had it long time ago....... But please: i do not want to capture this thread with my slightly frustration! But at least once my opinion has to be freed ;)

Yeah, sad reality. I wonder why TLG occasionally does some kind of survey: that would make us more happy!

Let's not forget one thing, TLG brings to the market sets designed for kids, so maybe they think that big yellow machinery will appeal much more to them than something else. In the end it's all about the earnings, if they make a flagship set and it won't sell they lose and they can not afford that. In my country a good example is the 9398 Crawler, it was RC, but it didn't sell as well as let's say 8043 Excavator (facts based on the shelf-life and stock of the toy stores).

Is this 100% set in stone that it's a front loader , Conchas gave some info! Where did he get this?

Are we fairly sure it won't have pneumatics?

Let's not forget one thing, TLG brings to the market sets designed for kids, so maybe they think that big yellow machinery will appeal much more to them than something else. In the end it's all about the earnings, if they make a flagship set and it won't sell they lose and they can not afford that. In my country a good example is the 9398 Crawler, it was RC, but it didn't sell as well as let's say 8043 Excavator (facts based on the shelf-life and stock of the toy stores).

Sure, but in my opinion it is a wrong policy. There aren't only front loader or tow trucks as a heavy vehicles ;)

Sure, but in my opinion it is a wrong policy. There aren't only front loader or tow trucks as a heavy vehicles ;)

agreed - there are much more different heavy vehicles as always the same big three: tow truck, front-loader and mobile crane...

Okay, let's get back on topic with 2014 set speculation :sweet:

We can create a new topic regarding TLG's Technic policy!

Ok, last rant. For me it's not so much that it's always the same yellow construction machinery. It's just that it's all the same unrealistic mechanisms (motor>gears>la) just rearranged into the shape of a plane or front end loader. I understand that it's for kids but I don't see how that is relevant. How does using the same unrealistic, slow, unreliable and weak mechanisms make their sets more appealing to kids? I'm not angry or anything, i just think they (or I) are missing something. The real thing has electronically operated valves and planetary reduction in the wheel hubs. So why not just aim for that and make it not only appealing to kids but also more appealing to adults looking for realism whilst also making the set more unique and fun to build as it would not feel like every other set build feels today. Why not have functions that reliably move with the power to lift 42009 high off the ground and not take all day to do it? I can only hope the reasons why is because what they are releasing is selling well and so they don't feel inclined to change anything. If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say. However I can't think of a single time greatness was achieved by thinking that way.

I've started a new topic to save this topic getting cluttered with how crap technic design policy has become :devil: so no more about that here, as much as I would like there to be :grin:

Edited by allanp

It's only logical that TLG make sets resembling the most popular things. What the market wants, is what sells. It does get a bit too much sometimes, though.

I myself am a huge fan of construction machines and tractors, and I don't really care about super cars. That's just my opinion. I'm satisfied with the number of construction-themed sets, although I wish they would make them in other colors and not just yellow all the time. An orange front end loader would be nice for once. And perhaps they could try out new machines and/or variants/combinations of equipment.

Even if the 2H2014 flagship is a Volvo-licensed front end loader, I think they should continue the orange theme from the Unimog, since the 2H2013 flagship was in yellow.

Regarding other Technic sets, there's a few "new" things I would like to see, for example a licensed John Deere tractor in their typical colors. Being a fan of tractors, I personally would love that.

Volvo seats are grey,I have operated a Volvo mini digger in the past.

My last year at high school, I took a course in the education for construction machine operator. I didn't manage to get a job as such, and now work with other things, but I drove a handful of machines that year.

The biggest front end loader I drove, was a Volvo L180E with joystick steering. It was awesome :laugh:

Edited by Error404

I would buy any flagship as long as it isn't YELLOW!!! :tongue:

But I really wish it was a dump truck, imagine a fully molded tray container, whatever its called. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As far as I've understood, the share of yellow Technic sets have been rather big the last years.

I would say that 42006 is so similar to 8043 that it should have been made in a different color. Orange would have been good, and would also stay realistic, since Daewoo and Hitachi makes orange excavators in general.

The previous mobile cranes came in 2005 and 2002, I think. Given that these were also in yellow, I think 42009 should have been made in a different color. Red could have been good, or maybe white. Both occur on real mobile cranes.

LEGO and Volvo are 2 solid brands it may even b apealing to peopple who never bought a lego set

As far as I've understood, the share of yellow Technic sets have been rather big the last years.

Yeah, with too much of red, black and both grey colours. I wish there were more colors like SW have: lots of cominations of white+some other color + dark variants of red, blue, green.

I don't like the new plane, but its white+blue look awesome.

Yes its seems there should be more diverity to the sets other than just heavy constructiction machinery etc...Why not more boats? Or somethign totally different like IDK wtaches, mechanism, universal sets, etc..

Remember. Nobody confirmed the rumours regarding Volvo. He posted a video of a real life Volvo front loader..

Remember. Nobody confirmed the rumours regarding Volvo. He posted a video of a real life Volvo front loader..

Yeah, and on "Your '2buy' list of 2014" topic Cwetqo posted:

Technic:

42025 Cargo plane

42030 Volvo front loader

Wooo... There is a lot of fuss for nothing here. Oo

Exactly my thoughts :wink:

Yeah, and on "Your '2buy' list of 2014" topic Cwetqo posted:

Meaning what? :laugh:

He's just following the rumors.

I'm definitely going to pass on this. Although I have no idea what it is, and I haven't seen the design, I definitely don't like it. Whatever TLG have done, it's not to my taste, and there's definitely too much yellow.

EDIT, deleted some stuff that would get me a mod warning, again. Let's just say that yellow flagships are not new, nor particularly more common now than any time since 1977. Check out Brickset http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Technic has got boring' does not stack up, unless you fancy a trip back to the glory days of 'Slizers'. No?

Suggestion: each year start two threads, '20xx rumours' and '20xx bitching'. I've got zero interest in trying to stop people slagging TLG's set roster, but it's tedious trying to sort the actual rumours from the 'me too' comments and complaints. It's an off-topic problem imho, do it in another thread. Probably every sub-theme forum would benefit from this.

Also, why is 2014 Technic missing Police and Fire sets? :classic:

Edited by andythenorth

On the design Policy of TLG: I guess the market is like that.

Remember my insects? That's not construction, it's something "unique" many of you said, it won an AFOL voting. Yet, 30 votes for the dragonfly on Cuusoo in three weeks...

Big, or car, or Back to the Future, or big Back to the Future car, it sells.

Edited by Lipko