Which Wave 2 LotR Set Do You Like Best?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favorite!

• The Wizard Battle
    • The Council of Elrond
    • The Battle at the Black Gate
    • Pirate Ship Ambush

Now that the second LotR wave sets have been out for awhile it got me thinking, what does everyone else think is the best set of the bunch this time around? How does this wave compare to the first LotR wave and the Hobbit wave so far? Personally I am torn. I generally like the bigger sets best because I feel they offer more (and the price reflects it :grin: ), but I feel like the smaller sets actually offer a lot this time around too. I definitely liked the first LotR wave the best though, mainly because of Helm's Deep and the accompanying army/wall builder with the Uruk-hai Army. Please note Tower of Orthanc is not on this list for two reasons. First off it seemed like it would hands down be the winner. Second I don't think it is technically part of wave two since it doesn't share the same LotR logo in the top right?

So, what is YOUR Favorite?

Hi Deatleech, I am not sure Orthanc would be a clear winner. In my personnal case, it is undoubtly the council of Elrond. I love the unique bricks the set bring. I also find it more colourful and thus attaraying than the other sets in the line.

I have to admit that I am amongst those few that love the LOTR Lego theme but have never watched any of the movies.

Having just finished getting all of them, I would say Pirate Ship Ambush. Mostly cause its my first ship. But Elrond comes in second. Surprised to see Black Gate getting so many votes. That was probably my least favorite.

Council of Elrond. Overall, I'm somewhat disappointed in this wave.

In other words: "no Gondor, no care".

Council of Elrond (due to absence of Tower of Orthanc from the list).

The Black Gate is a close second, although you really need a second tower to make it look good, in my opinion.

The Wizard Battle ist third on my list: great small set!

The Pirate Ship Ambush is the only Middle-earth set I haven't purchased. No interest.

I only have the Wizard Battle and Council of Elrond so far, although I intend to get the others.

I doubt any of them will beat CoE though. It has made me display my Lego models for the first time ever, so it gets my vote.

Definitely the Council of Elrond for me. It's not the biggest set, but it's just such a great representation. And the colors look great!

Pirate Ship Ambush for me. It's big, detailed, and has tons of figs. (because I can't vote for Orthanc)

Council of Elrond. Overall, I'm somewhat disappointed in this wave.

In other words: "no Gondor, no care".

Well, we have those in the meantime.

cas408.jpg?0

cas407.jpg?0

cas417.jpg?0

cas367.jpg?0

cas366.jpg?0

cas423.jpg?0

Edited by SheepEater

Huh... I passed on the Council of Elrond at 30% off because I thought it was boring. Shows what I know.

Black Gate is the Uruk-Hai Army equivalent this wave. I'm going to buy 2-4 more to build a long enough wall.

Anything with elves wins out for me. Arwen is beautiful :wub: . The arches are neat, the Orange leaves are awesome and the color combination of olive, pearl gold, dark orange works really well.

I have Orthanc and I like it okay, but I wouldn't vote for it here.

I voted for the pirate ship, but I really like the council of elrond. I only picked the ship because I love the zombie figures and Peter Jackson figure.

I don't own any of the LotR wave 2 sets, because they are quite expensive for the amount of pieces you get.

But I'll get all of them with the exception of the pirate ship, when they are reduced on Amazon.

What I've seen so far, the Council of Elrond is my favourite set in that wave.

The minifigs and pieces are just faboulous.

Edited by Wat Tambor

I had to vote for the Council of Elrond, I just love the parts and color scheme! :wub:

Definitely Elrond. Great design, great minifigs, great parts pack, great price. I like all the sets, but CoE is the only one I've pulled the trigger on, and I'm actually thinking about getting another one.

Pirate ship ambush for me, the sentimentality of building a pirate ship (my last was the Dark Shark / Barracuda) it was a fun build and I especially like the Lego humour with the Peter Jackson minifig, rat and birthday sticker!

I vote Council of Elrond because of the colors, the pieces, and those wonderful elf figs.

+1 I agree.

I love the black gate but yes I will buy two cos it is too small.

Also the wizard battle is the best £12 set we have got so far although the first one was great until we got the same figs in other sets and as freebies

I spent quite a while deciding what set to vote for. In the end I settled on the Wizard Battle, as it is the best small boxed set I have ever bought and I think it packs a lot in and captures it's scene perfectly with so few pieces. But the Council of Elrond and two Battle at the Black gates are equal second for me, though the CoE wins against one BatBG as I really think you need two to complete the scene and do it justice, and unfortunately I am not a huge fan of the Pirate Ship Ambush, it may be my least favourite LOTR set. I have nothing against it, I enjoyed the build, but I prefer displaying locations and scenes and just having a ship sitting on a shelf doesn't feel as impressive to me - I'm not a big lover of vehicles and luckily for me there aren't a great deal of them in Middle Earth

Overall this wave was less enthusing than the first one. The Elrond minifig was great, but the set itself felt too basic (good parts though). The Orthanc tower is nice and would get my vote, but comes nowhere near to Uruk Hai or Helm's deep. The ship was a nice build, but not really special. Overall I think the Black gate surprised me most and I loved the Gandalf fig, so that got my vote.

None of them is really good in my book. Compared to wave I and the Hobbit wave it's a bit of a disappointment.