Sign in to follow this  
Brickthus

Power Functions (Electrical System) Info

Some info I can now release, in addition to what I've posted here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=226241

The Power Functions large motors http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2337975 use the same metal motor inside as the NXT motors.

The motor driver chip in the IR RC receiver http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2337974 is the same chip as the NXT motor driver chip.

This all means that the large motors have lots of power (as they are geared a bit lower than NXT motors), but also that Power Functions motors and NXT motors are electrically interchangeable. Since an NXT to 9V adapter lead is available from TLG and there will be backward compatibility between Power Functions and the 9V system, it will be possible to connect Power Functions motors to NXTs and NXT motors to Power Functions receivers.

Mark

Your info has helped me understand this new system better. It's an interesting set up, but the parts are ugly as sin. As a minifig scale builder who likes to incorporate power and light functions into my models, even the medium sized motor may be too big. I like the old technic motors and especially the micromotor. The remote control feature might have some uses, that remains to be seen.

You said these are compatible with the 9V system, does that mean they run off 6 batteries in that battery box and I'm only seeing 3 in that photo you have?

You said these are compatible with the 9V system, does that mean they run off 6 batteries in that battery box and I'm only seeing 3 in that photo you have?

Looking at it it appears there are two rows of 3 batteries, with one row accessable from each side of the box.

I love the coaster Mark( Although your pictures need some work ;-) ) , shame it would take a monstrous amount of treads to do a full blown coaster though.

Also, any info on interfacing the remote with the NXT?

Thanks for the info Mark *y*

Is the battery box the same shape as the one that came with 8287 Motor set ?

Am I correct in assuming that these new motors cannot be run from an old style battery box as the connectors do not look compatible if this is a correct assumtion then they will not work with the available NXT convertor cables as these are designed for the 2x2 connector block

Thanks for the info Mark *y*

Is the battery box the same shape as the one that came with 8287 Motor set ?

Am I correct in assuming that these new motors cannot be run from an old style battery box as the connectors do not look compatible if this is a correct assumtion then they will not work with the available NXT convertor cables as these are designed for the 2x2 connector block

The battery box is similar to the 8287 one but the switch can be operated by a Technic lever and the connector is the Power Functions one.

There will be parts to interface the 9V system with the PF system, to ensure backward compatibility. These will be able to be connected to the 9V to NXT convertor cables.

Mark

Looking at it it appears there are two rows of 3 batteries, with one row accessable from each side of the box.

I love the coaster Mark( Although your pictures need some work ;-) ) , shame it would take a monstrous amount of treads to do a full blown coaster though.

Also, any info on interfacing the remote with the NXT?

That's right - 2 rows of 3, one row accessible from each side.

The pictures need my floodlight for more light and a bigger house - so much LEGO there's no other room to take pictures! *sweet* More light would help the focus to be correct more of the time too. The pictures I posted had to be brightened significantly before posting as a low-energy light bulb is too weak for photography.

A shame a bulldozer will have only 84 track links - I'd buy another 2000 if they were available for 5p each.

I believe the IR protocol on the remote is related to that on the 9V IR train. There are similarities and differences but I couldn't tell you much even if I knew!

You might like to try turning the remote levers with an NXT motor in order to control remote PF items from an NXT. Either that or interface a PF receiver with an NXT sensor port, to receive the signal from the remote and read the commanded motor directions. Perhaps the two motor Fwd/Off/Rev signals could be made into a 9-step input for the NXT (or an RCX) to sense the voltage and hence the states of 2 motors. Not too difficult with a window comparator (if I had time!).

With just PF elements, I tried having 2 remotes with their levers pushed by motors, each controlling each other's motors. It makes for quite a chaotic conversation between 2 machines! *wacko* I'll extend the experiment to see if I can get one machine to do something, complete it and then tell the other machine to do something, and so on.

Mark

While i mentioned it in the bulldozer review i thought it best to update this thread as well with the info that more info and some comparisons to the gear motors was included in brick journal 8. ;-)

Section8 Posted Mar 14 2007, 10:31 AM

Your info has helped me understand this new system better. It's an interesting set up, but the parts are ugly as sin. As a minifig scale builder who likes to incorporate power and light functions into my models, even the medium sized motor may be too big. I like the old technic motors and especially the micromotor.

Yeah, these are great if you're building more giant things... but a return to micromotors cleverly placed inside the tinier Town / System world is something Lego should definitely consider.

*sigh* :-/

BTW does anyone have any info on the converter cables seen on page 61. It would be nice if it came with the bulldozer but since no one mentioned it i figure you'll have to buy it separate. :-/ Makes me wonder if i really wanna buy this from TRU or get it from S@H since TRU might not have the cables. At least not at first, and i'm not gonna wait longer than i have to. X-D

I feel so stupid at times, i mean why ask if the cables are included with the bulldozer when i've read the inventory several times and not seen any mentioning of it. *sad* Bricklink has no info on them either so obviously they are not out yet. :-(

Actually it's the same article that was published in brickjournal only the layout has changed. I ran it through altavista and the more i read the more i recognized it. But that's good for people like my who don't know french.

I know i'm repeating myself (for the archives) but the faq over at lego.com has info that the adapter cables will be available through S@H september 1st.