ZCerberus

Future The Hobbit Sets?

Is getting multiple battle packs for the BO5A even realistic? Would Lego actually do this seeing as how we have only gotten, at most, 1 big $30 army builder type set each wave? I would love them to break everything down into proper $15 army builders for each raced so people have options (some people may want tons of dwarves and have no interest in the Hobbit, some may only want only elves, etc.). I am just not sold Lego would actually do it which is a shame. I would hope at the very least we get a single $29.99 BP set. That's still going to kind of suck though, how do I build a dwarf army without massing even more elves and Laketown soldiers, or mass any single army for that matter without having to pay $5 per figure on BL?

I'm pretty sure that someone somewhere seemed to imply that SW type Battlepacks were not an option for the Middle Earth licenses. Something in the parts or build per minifig ratio requirements. That is why we get the larger $30 Army Builders instead. Each license defines these requirements differently.

I'm pretty sure that someone somewhere seemed to imply that SW type Battlepacks were not an option for the Middle Earth licenses. Something in the parts or build per minifig ratio requirements. That is why we get the larger $30 Army Builders instead. Each license defines these requirements differently.

Just theories, They do make polybags with 30-something pieces INCLUDING the pieces made to make the minifig SO it's not that strict.

If anything star wars would be the msot strict about brick to minifig ratio. their action figure business is much larger.

I for one prefer larger army builders rather than smaller battle packs. In the end, you're likely getting more figs and pieces if you buy 4-6 $30 sets instead of 4-6 $16 sets. It makes more sense for my wallet, and also feels like I'm getting more out of it (which I ultimately am).

I just saw the trailer of the Hobbit game... and a three nice additions came to mind:

Hobbit game trailer

1. it showed the three mountain trolls a few times
  2. ponies... horses with shorter legs (they looked great
  3. the bunny slede of Radagast

Just theories, They do make polybags with 30-something pieces INCLUDING the pieces made to make the minifig SO it's not that strict.

If anything star wars would be the msot strict about brick to minifig ratio. their action figure business is much larger.

polybags are excluded because they are considered as promo material most likely.... so contract does not bind them so heavily on piece per fig ratios. Logical assumptions...

Edited by Alcarin

polybags are excluded because they are considered as promo material most likely.... so contract does not bind them so heavily on piece per fig ratios. Logical assumptions...

I think Alcarin is correct here. The Elrond polybag didnt have any brick built component to it, just the Elrond minifigure with a weapon. That's basically the definition of an action figure. Some polybags end up being sold in limited quantities at places like Toys R Us, but they usually are offered later with special purchases and I don't think TRU is even technically suppose to be selling the polys on their own.

I think Alcarin is correct here. The Elrond polybag didnt have any brick built component to it, just the Elrond minifigure with a weapon. That's basically the definition of an action figure. Some polybags end up being sold in limited quantities at places like Toys R Us, but they usually are offered later with special purchases and I don't think TRU is even technically suppose to be selling the polys on their own.

Elrond was part of buying the videogame.

It depends on the type of Polybad. Figure only ones are ALWAYS promotional materials. So stuff like the Elrond one or the Silver Age Lex Luthor. The small teaser sets in polybags are sort of sit somewhere between the two. They are really impulse / marketing materials. So the License holder probably view them a little differently. But somewhere one of the TLG people was specifically asked about SW type Battlepacks, and the answer was "it depends on the specific terms of the license". The contracts specifically lay out the terms and ratios. I get the impression that of the major Licensors, Lucasfilms seems sort of Middel fo the Road for this kind of thing. Disney seems the most wide open (note the PotC straight up battle packs), and WB typically seems to have the most restrictive terms.

It depends on the type of Polybad. Figure only ones are ALWAYS promotional materials. So stuff like the Elrond one or the Silver Age Lex Luthor. The small teaser sets in polybags are sort of sit somewhere between the two. They are really impulse / marketing materials. So the License holder probably view them a little differently.

Right, the polybags vary slightly by the type of promotion. Figure only ones are usually for a special event, tie in with a movie/video game, or a Lego S@H exclusive when you spend a certain amount on a theme. The polybags with actual builds seem a little more widely available. TRU usually has them directly for sale in limited quantities before only offering them with a certain purchase. Last year the Gandalf poly was available with the purchase of the Hobbit board game and available for direct sale. The Mirkwood Elf was available for direct sale then it was only offered when you spent $20 or 25 on Hobbit themed Lego sets. The Uruk-hai poly was a little weird, it was never widely available at first, only being seen at Lego Discovery Centers and through the newspaper promo in the UK. Months later it showed up in 5 Below stores which was probably left over stock that never sold elsewhere. I am sure the Laketown Guard poly will be tied to some future buy $XX amount of Hobbit Lego sets and get it free promo since TRU is no longer offering it for direct sale.

I finally got Bag End today... it's so lovely!! I was just wondering- do you reckon we'll be getting all the dwarves again in other sets? I mean, I'd quite like Gloin but I cannot see the point spending £30/£40 just for him and the other dwarf... Maybe he will come out in another set?

Any ideas?

Do you reckon we'll be getting all the dwarves again in other sets? I mean, I'd quite like Gloin but I cannot see the point spending £30/£40 just for him and the other dwarf... Maybe he will come out in another set?

Well, if they do come in other sets next year, they will likely wear armors meaning the torso will be different and won't belong with the Bag-End scene.

I finally got Bag End today... it's so lovely!! I was just wondering- do you reckon we'll be getting all the dwarves again in other sets? I mean, I'd quite like Gloin but I cannot see the point spending £30/£40 just for him and the other dwarf... Maybe he will come out in another set?

Any ideas?

Bricklink is your answer!

Any ideas?

Oin and Gloin come in the Barrel Escape set. Keep an eye out. That one is a TRU exclusive, and they are starting to discount it. It's also one of the more charming of the Middle Earth sets as it has a lot of stuff useful for MOC'ers. Between the barrels, glasses, elf sword thingies, and the two distinct elf figs it's worth it if you can find it discounted.

Lego is also starting to retire some of the first wave Hobbit sets as of this week. Goblin King is going away, taking Ori Nori and Dori. And Attack of the Wargs is also retiring. Which makes Thorin with Chainmail and Bifur disappear as well. Like the others I think we will see at least some of the Dwarves again, in their Battle of 5 Armies armor, next wave. But we will probably not see another release that has them in their TUJ outfits appropriate for the Bag End scene.

I'm guessing we will at a minimum see Thorin, Fili And Kili in armor. Their hairpiece seems designed for it. Bofur as well would convert easily to armor and a helmet. Some of the others will depend heavily on their hair and beard piece. (I mean really why bother to make an armor printed torso for Gloin or Bombur? You won't be able to see them.)

Oin and Gloin come in the Barrel Escape set. Keep an eye out. That one is a TRU exclusive, and they are starting to discount it.

TRU currently has it for $25.50. It's probably not going to get much better than that at almost 36% off.

The Sets I would like to see are:

#1 An $100 Erebor set with Smaug, Dwarves,gold,Bilbo and the Arken Stone.

#2 A $50 White Counsel vs. Sauron, set would include: Sauron, Radagast,Sarumon,Galadriel and maybe a Ring Wraith (if their in the movie) and some more ruins of Dol Guldur.

#3 A $30 BO5A set would include: 2 Armored Orcs ,2 Armored Elves ,a Goblin, a Lake Town Soldier and small ruins of Dale.

#4 A $20 set with Bolg,an Orc,Bard and a small tower with the Black flick fire Missle :laugh: .

#3 A $30 BO5A set would include: 2 Armored Orcs ,2 Armored Elves ,a Goblin, a Lake Town Soldier and small ruins of Dale.

What, no dwarven soldiers!? It might be the only chance we get at normal dwarf infantry. I think Dain would be a perfect choice, he could probably look mundane enough to serve as a (second?) dwarf soldier in a Bo5A army builder.

What, no dwarven soldiers!? It might be the only chance we get at normal dwarf infantry. I think Dain would be a perfect choice, he could probably look mundane enough to serve as a (second?) dwarf soldier in a Bo5A army builder.

Dain's got a mowhak, but i guess his torso could work sure.

The new dwarf helmets kindof got mowhawkish designs aswell.

Dain's got a mowhak, but i guess his torso could work sure.

The new dwarf helmets kindof got mowhawkish designs aswell.

How did you get this info?

Is this how the dwarven warriors still appear in the film?

Nope, thats the Erebor dwarves, the Ironhills dwarves are different. You can see the soldiers in the auj EE extras. if i rememebr correct they are kindof purple, unless I made that up, i might psot a off screen phone picture laer if people want.

Nope, thats the Erebor dwarves, the Ironhills dwarves are different. You can see the soldiers in the auj EE extras. if i rememebr correct they are kindof purple, unless I made that up, i might psot a off screen phone picture laer if people want.

That'd be great.

In the book the only dwarves that show up to assist Thorin and company are 500 Iron Hill dwarves under the command of Dain. This must be more made up PJ stuff...?

In the book the only dwarves that show up to assist Thorin and company are 500 Iron Hill dwarves under the command of Dain. This must be more made up PJ stuff...?

No, the erebor dwarves we saw during smaugs attack, and battle outside moria. thats the ones you showed picture of. the ironhill dwarves will show up at battle like in the book.

The Sets I would like to see are:

#1 An $100 Erebor set with Smaug, Dwarves,gold,Bilbo and the Arken Stone.

#2 A $50 White Counsel vs. Sauron, set would include: Sauron, Radagast,Sarumon,Galadriel and maybe a Ring Wraith (if their in the movie) and some more ruins of Dol Guldur.

#4 A $20 set with Bolg,an Orc,Bard and a small tower with the Black flick fire Missle :laugh: .

#1 I think we can all get behind. I'd actually prefer this to a Bard vs. Smaug set, we have Bard already and an Erebor Smaug set could give us a few more of the Dwarves in their TDOS garb. Or heck, just make them armored, who cares.

#2 We have Radagast and Saruman already, better to give us Galadriel and then a new-outfit Elrond - the only proper Elrond is the Rivendell one, the Last Alliance one really doesn't resemble him in the least (in fact, I've been considering just using him as Gil-Galad!) We could get him in his Red Elven armor from AUJ, assuming he wears that to go fight at Dol Guldur. Use the spare slots to reduce the price and/or toss in more Twilight Ringwraiths, doesn't matter whether they're there or not, there's no other way we could get them and that would be very very cool.

#3 We do need at least one Dwarf in any BO5A battlepack.

#4 The big players at the BO5A should be in a large, expensive set so the cheap sets can have a prevalence of non-uniques. A big set with Bolg, armored Thorin, an armored Thranduil, maybe an armored Bard if her wears armor, Dain, Beorn in superbear form, etc.

Honestly, Lego should lay out some basic rules for the BO5A wave (so they can assume it's their last Hobbit wave, and anything after that is gravy)

-Any battle pack must include all 3 armies of Good, with armored Elves and Iron Hills Dwarves prioritized, and an equal or greater number of Evil characters.

-Armored Thorin must be produced.

-All characters who have appeared previously must be in armored BO5A gear, if they are included at all: Thranduil, Bard, any members of the Company, Bilbo - and Tauriel and Legolas too, if they get armor.

-New characters should be focused on: Galadriel, Dain, Bolg - these are essentials

-At least 1 battle pack must be produced, preferably two, each of a smaller denomination (4 figures in a $20, perhaps).

-Large beasts should be included at some point - Eagles, Giant Bats, Beorn Superbear-form, Wargs - but they must never take precedence over infantry. A Warg or Eagle should not replace a slot that could be taken by a new-styled Dol Guldur Armored Orc or an Armored Mirkwood Elf.

-Battle packs should not be tainted with unique characters, and if they are, they should be easily swappable characters (like Eomer in UHA, NOT Thranduil in MEA). That captain of the guard dude from Laketown would be ideal - an excuse for a named character who can just be reused as an officer-class Esgaroth Warrior. Bolg is an example of a non-ideal character, he is too distinct and would have a unique mold that would preclude him from being reusable.

You'd think these things would be obvious, but I'm sure they fumble the ball on at least some of them. Minifigure distribution is hands down the most important thing in any licensed wave.

Edited by Darth Caedus