ZCerberus

Future The Hobbit Sets?

Speaking of the Gundabad Orcs, the Lego versions seem a little too bright orange compared to how they looked in the film.

Well lego deosent have too many color variations, and the movie is fairly desaturated.

I would have loved to have gotten the original version of Bolg. The CGI one in the final film... not so much.

2kg3z9.jpg

Edited by wesker

That is not the original version of Bolg, that is an earlier version of Azog.

But its far more better, than that CGI nonsense we saw in DoS.

Who else is hoping for a Bolg minfig? The only orc to make legolas bleed.

When that scene happened, all I thought of was Ben Stiller saying "No one makes me bleed my own blood!" In Dodgeball.

While it's kinda sad that we won't get the original Bolg design, I have no problems with the new one either. He's just as big and terrifying, just in a different way. And overall, the new design will be easier to represent as a LEGO piece.

I would seriously doubt there would be anything to scale. The children (and us) will use our imaginations. The ninjago dragons were actually pretty good sized, even though Smaug would greatly over size them. I could see them doing a Smaug, just not as big as everyone is thinking. But maybe I will be wrong.

Something around the size of the Hero Factory Dragon Bolt Constraction figure, just a bit more fleshed out and filled in with brickwork would probably be a reasonable compromise. Assuming they use sail cloth or Mylar plastic to fill in the wings. It's about twice the size of the Ninjago dragons. Big enough to swallow a Dwarf minifig, but not so big as to be unreasonable.

I think when we do see a Smaug set it will be an attack on Laketown set. Centered on that prominent Laketown archers tower. It will probably use that new spring missile from the newer SW sets for the black arrow.

That is not the original version of Bolg, that is an earlier version of Azog.

It suppose to be Bolg, not Azog btw :)

It was deisgned as Azog, when they changed Azog, they thought they could use it as Bolg for a while, uintill they changed him into cg to match his father.

Edited by deskp

It was deisgned as Azog, when they changed Azog, they thought they could use it as Bolg for a while, uintill they changed him into cg to match his father.

Is there some evidence or source which can be used for that theory? :)

I think its less of a theory, and more of a logical assumption. Then again, the Yazneg design was originally Azog. So who knows.

Yazneg design suppose to be Azog? Thats simpy imposible, its just mistake of TLG.

Btw both of them Azog and old version of Bolg are present in battle of Azanulbizar ...

I remember hearing that was from an art book, if I remember correctly. Azog went through a massive ammount of design changes, the final CG version wasn't finished until late in development.

Yazneg design suppose to be Azog? Thats simpy imposible, its just mistake of TLG.

Btw both of them Azog and old version of Bolg are present in battle of Azanulbizar ...

Here is a pic of Yazneg fighting Thorin at the Battle of Azanulbizar:

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/YaznegAzog3.jpg

They decided later to make Azog the Pale Orc, and Manu Bennet was brought in quite late to the project.

Also, given that the bearded orc seen being beaten by Dwalin during the same fight looked like the original design for Bolg, but now Bolg is the way he looks in DOS, that bearded orc likely can just be considered as part of the group that slew Beorn's people (explaining the bear hands on the shoulders).

Maybe its a picture of random figth at this battle, then they add a fight with pale orc..Pale orc is definitely not yazneg, he is not pale at all.

Its a shame we didnt get the old version of Bolg, anyway the bearded version and the actual one has the same weapon

Yazneg was the original design of Azog. They went trough dozens of designs, including the one with orange beard higher up on this page, before they scrapped everything and went with CGI. Yes, that design was Azog and was never the design of Bolg.

However, you do get to see a non CGI-Bolg during the flashback to the dwarves trying to take back Moria in AUJ - Thrain is fighting him: http://images.wikia.com/lotr/images/b/b2/Bolg.png

Altough he is now just an ordinary Orc, since they changed Bolg into CGI since it would look weird when they interacted. All is explained on the extra material on the AUJ Extended edition.

That is Dwalin, and while the armour is the same, the head is different - no armour plate screw to the forehead.

Also, I stumbled across a short interview with PJ (I can't find the link anymore), and in it he states that form the beginning, he wanted Smaug to be huge, and they used the basis of his head being the size of a bus, and then make everything else proportion to that.

So putting that into perspective, think of the size of a typical LEGO bus. Perhaps something like the green bus in this set:

http://thecityfix.com/files/2010/09/LEGO-City-Transport-Station.jpg

If that is the basis of the head of the dragon, LEGO will have a massive set on their hands.

Edited by Fives

Hm, now I'm totally confused which of the live action orc designs was supposed to be which character :wacko: Let's recap: Yazneg was Azog, Azog was Bolg, Bolg was the orc with the grey beard, Azog got a orange beard, then turned into Bolg and now they're both CG :laugh: Did I get that right? :grin: I like all of the designs, but my favorites are now the ones they went with; Azog and Bolg both look great, can't wait to get a minfig representation of the latter :wub: Oh, and he's quite a good shot for someone with a lack of depth perception :tongue:

I'm pretty sure it was just Yazneg was Azog and the orange bearded orc was Bolg. Then when they changed Azog, they decided to make Bolg match his father in look and stature.

It'll be cool to see how they do Bolg's bear hand shoulder armour in LEGO.

Also, Beorn in his bear form will be really cool. I'd think something the same size as the triceratops from the most recent Dino theme would make sense.

I liked the original design of Bolg where he had the orange beard, it was distinct but honestly as an orc it didn't work imo. He looked like a cross between something out of the Exorcist and a lion, but as a ginger version. I think the new Bolg design is less interesting but works much better. I kind of wish Lego had done Laketown Chase as encompassing two scenes and had Bolg in it as well. It would of been a good way to get him. All well, I am sure we will in the TABA wave.

Yazneg is a discarted AZOG deisgn.

old bolg was a discarted design for azog.

Watch the bonus amterial on the extended edition, it shows off ALOT of unused Azog designs.

The fact that they sold action figures and otehr amchandise naming the bearded orc as Bold should be proof enough.

Theres also the fact that the current Bolg has taken ALOT of the design elements off old bolg/azog.

tumblr_mxtavyXmA91t2yvfao2_250.gif

Edited by deskp

Also, Azog/old Bolg had Conan Stevens (the Mountain from season one of Game of Thrones) cast in the role, but then they changed the design to be digital, and the new design is Lawrence Makoare (Lurtz, Gothmog, the Witch-King).

Yazneg is a discarted AZOG deisgn.

old bolg was a discarted design for azog.

Watch the bonus amterial on the extended edition, it shows off ALOT of unused Azog designs.

The fact that they sold action figures and otehr amchandise naming the bearded orc as Bold should be proof enough.

Theres also the fact that the current Bolg has taken ALOT of the design elements off old bolg/azog.

May I ask where you found that image? I've been having trouble finding pictures of CG Bolg anywhere.

Anyone else curious on how they would do a Bolg minifigure? He's much taller than his father, who's already gigantic. Not to mention his bear-paw shoulder pads.

Anyone else curious on how they would do a Bolg minifigure? He's much taller than his father, who's already gigantic. Not to mention his bear-paw shoulder pads.

Bolg IS lower than Azog.. about half a head lower. Lego can make him just like azog, He will look better too, cause he has soulderpads hiding the mold's edges, and he has iron spikes on his chest wich could hide the edge of the mold there too.

BOLG

Yeah, he'll be done the same as Azog. The iron spikes will be interesting to see, since they are literally part of his body. Overall, the mold will require more detail and colours, whereas Azog is pretty simple.

I feel like Azog, especially after seeing DOS, has a very Vader-esque presence. He's this huge, imposing warrior who still has a tactical mind, and has a personal vendetta against the main heroes. Bolg is far less of a compelling character (although, we haven't seen much of him yet).