ZCerberus

Future The Hobbit Sets?

"If the set list is from a reputable website, then yes, discuss the list, but don't discuss a list people just make up, or what mold we would use for Smaug. I mean really, we may never even see a Smaug and I don't want 17 pages for that. Same thing with the Bear. "

This is what ZCerberus said in the LOTR and The Hobbit thread. I am sure there will be a Smaug, because the movies are about defeating the Dragon, and reclaiming the mountain for the Dwarves. That way, with no Smaug the Dragon, the whole line of sets is just a waste of plastic, because I know that almost every Tolkien fan/AFOL is looking forward in seeing that dragon, a tleast I am.

Did we get every character or iconic set we would expect from Pirates of the Caribbean?

Was there a Dutchmen? Of the Governor character? No. Do we get the classic tank scene when Indiana Jones had it's waves? No. There is no guarantee we will get a Smaug.

I think it would be a bit of a miss step since Dragons are awesome and kids and adults love them, but there are no guarantees!

Well, I haven't seen any PotC movie, and I don't know what Indiana Jones movie you mean, I saw a few, but I don't remember the scene you mean, but I see you point. Not all important characters are LEGOnized. (Can Smaug be considered a character?)

If you want the Dutchmen, you are talking to one now :tongue: .

Lego has been good at covering every characters so far in the hobbit sets.

IF my predctions on the minifigs in this years sets come true, then we'll only be missing 4 important characthers/soldiers and 4 very minor characthers. Along with smaug.

If lego make a 3rd wave, I'm sure they can cover the rest of the important characthers. I'm sure we'll see a smaug set at some point, But I wouldn't be suprised if he is staying out of marketing/merchandising during 2013, with the possible exception of the art book.

Lego could easily do a "black pearl" and release the Smaug set a little later.

Did we get every character or iconic set we would expect from Pirates of the Caribbean?

Was there a Dutchmen? Of the Governor character? No. Do we get the classic tank scene when Indiana Jones had it's waves? No. There is no guarantee we will get a Smaug.

I think it would be a bit of a miss step since Dragons are awesome and kids and adults love them, but there are no guarantees!

I kinda think we'll get him. He's the entire damn point of the Hobbit.

The entire Hobbit theme would be for naught if we don't get Smaug, IMO. He's in the title of the film, after all. :tongue:

Edited by The_Chosen_1

The entire Hobbit theme would be for naught if we don't get Smaug, IMO. He's in the title of the film, after all. :tongue:

Sub title if anything... the title of the film is HOBBIT afterall... and thats Bilbo who we got already.

He might be the main villain but he is not the main title for sure :P

Nothing is certain, but I'd be surprised if Smaug didn't appear. Recent Castle waves have had dragons, so they must sell. Recently there have also been a lot of large, molded creatures; Rancor, Wampa, Cave Troll, Goblin King, Hulk. Whether brick built, molded, or somewhere inbetween remains to be seen.

Radagast, Beorn, Thranduil, Azog, Thrain, Galadriel. All these characters will play a major part in DoS and non have seen a widely released minifigure yet. However:

Azog is almost certainly going to be in a set sometime.

Galadriel can use the same hairpiece as Arwen, so so no new molds need creating.

The others would all need new headpiece molds. Radagast could re-use Gandalf's beard, and Thranduil could possibly adapt the standard Elvish hair.

There are lots of characters with costume variations who would only require new printing, Elrond, Bilbo and the Dwarves.

Then there are a few characters kept quite tightly under wraps. Bolg, Narzug, Bain, Alfrid and the Necromancer all play parts, though it's not clear how big these roles are yet, and whether they're worthy of a minifig.

I think we'll see another two or threeGandalfs this wave, but at least other repeats have the chance of getting a new print, such as Thorin.

High Fells - Gandalf, Radagast (based on the High Fells scene from the preview)

Mirkwood Elves - Thranduil, Azog, Two Mirkwood Elves, Orc (based on the battle from the preview)

Beorn's House - Beorn, Gandalf, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur (based on book knowledge, randomly selected three Dwarves. Unfortunately this comes before Lake Town where they change outfits)

Lake Town - Bilbo, Throrin, Bard, The Master, Guard (actual set)

Dol Guldur - Galadriel, Elrond, Gandalf, Saruman, Thrain, ?Bolg, ?Necromancer, Two Orcs (based on the idea that the White Council attack Dol Guldur. Remove one of the White Council Members (I hope Saruman). Bolg was present early in production, but this might have changed now. Not sure if the Necromancer will take part in the battle.)

Erebor - Smaug, Bilbo, Balin, Dwalin, Dori, Nori, Ori (randomly selected Dwarves)

This list gives only two repeats (Bilbo and Gandalf) which are the same figures as in the first wave, but we got an extra Bilbo then. The last Hobbit wave introduced 12 new minifig molds, not including the Great Goblin, so that leaves 8 after Azog's hand, head, the Master's hat and the Lake Town Guards helmet. It's definitely possible.

I'm hoping that maybe another set will be released later in the wave, possibly Erebor with Smaug, leaving room for another set to include Kili, Fili, Oin and Gloin.

I really can't see Lego skipping out on doing Smaug. He is hands down the main villain in the book and appears to be just as important in the films. Plus, kids love dragons so it's a win win if they make a set with him in it. I imagine he would have a better chance of getting made than Thranduil, Beorn, Galadriel, Radagast, and the Necromancer... COMBINED. Then again who knows with Lego, we got Arwen before Faramir and Eowyn and she has such a minor role in the film. Basically she just saves Frodo from the Ringwraiths and shows up at the end of the trilogy to marry Aragorn. Eowyn on the other hand is shown throughout the entire second film and has a pivotal role at the Battle of Pelennor Fields when she slays the Witch King.

Arwen wasn't heavily involved in the action, but was important to the arc of the story. However, it makes sense to hold back some characters to keep interest high. Also, the next LOTR wave looks likely to be ROTK heavy, so fingers crossed!

I think the only real issue with Smaug is size. The T-Rex from the Dino Attack range looked horrible, but the larger molds of recent years are of better quality. Lots of people want a brick built Smaug, but at a large size, he might be flimsy. Either way, Smaug will be expensive.

I'm hoping that after TABA, we get another wave going over scenes missed out in original waves. The Troll sequence and Rhosgobel could make good, diverse sets. It would also be really nice to get a video game.

OK so now there are 3 topics I need to read for general LOTR and hobbit talk. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is getting really confusing

I don't think we will get a Beorn this wave, I think next wave will be all sets surrounding Bo5A which can be put together and Smaug being the 'Diagon Alley' of the Hobbit wave

This is getting really confusing

I don't think we will get a Beorn this wave, I think next wave will be all sets surrounding Bo5A which can be put together and Smaug being the 'Diagon Alley' of the Hobbit wave

What's there to be confused about? Just read the titles of the threads..

Outside of the BO5A, possible Smaug, Lake-town sets, and a bunch of the other stuff from the back TLG might use whatever 'connections' Jackson makes with LOTR and make more sets based of off that; hopefully it won't come to that.

Well to be fair it is the Desolation of Smaug, the example isn't the same. It wasn't Pirates of the Carribean: Rise of the Flying Dutchmen or Pirates of the Carribean: The Governor's Folly. Smaug is the central antagonist and a plot device, the catalyst for the entire three part Hobbit movies. True this does not guarantee that Lego will make him in some form, however trivializing his importance and equating him with supporting characters or ships isn't accurate. Smaug just happens to be a colossal dragon but he is still as pivotal to the narrative as The Emperor in RotJ or Count Dooku in AotC. Each of these are examples of characters who drove the story but did meet the protagonist until second or third act.

I agree that this newly created board is a fair compromise until the brickset list is verified or revealed. Here we will have more freedom to discuss ideas and set designs. At least now we shouldn't have any more confusion or issues about future Hobbit sets.

Well to be fair it is the Desolation of Smaug, the example isn't the same. It wasn't Pirates of the Carribean: Rise of the Flying Dutchmen or Pirates of the Carribean: The Governor's Folly. Smaug is the central antagonist and a plot device.........

True, but we havnet gotten a witch king or a sauron. no one is more important than they are villain wise.

True, but we havnet gotten a witch king or a sauron. no one is more important than they are villain wise.

Exactly... both Witch King and Sauron (especially sauron) are way more important antagonists of LOTR and we got neither....

Besides this year Smaug is SMALL CHANCE in my opinion...

Why?

Because we got Castle Dragon set and that one needs to sell first!

The LOTR line hasn't ended so there's not really any point there. I feel confident there will be a Smaug at some point but honestly everything that there is to say about the upcoming wave has been said until we have more information.

Edited by Str0ngbad

Exactly... both Witch King and Sauron (especially sauron) are way more important antagonists of LOTR and we got neither....

But with LOTR, there are three films worth of material to draw from, so naturally some locations or characters will take longer to be released than others.

The Hobbit is going to be taking each film as it comes (most likely). Possible spoiler, highlight to reveal:It's possible Smaug might die during DOS, so perhaps this wave is the best one for him to appear in.

If they don't appear this wave, Thranduil and Beorn will appear in TABA, with Radagast and Azog Likely too. Galadriel could appear in any Hobbit or LOTR wave.

While Sauron is definetly a main antagonist, he never actually makes an appearance. The only time we see him in physical form is during the prologue. I imagine this makes it difficult for Lego to fit him into a set. As for the Witch King, technically we could have already got him with the Attack on Weathertop set, just not with his distinguishing crown. I would say the Witch King is much less important just based on the movies, he is only seen briefly before and during the Battle of Pelennor Fields then he kicks the bucket. He is shown as a normal Nazgul much more and we already got two Nazgul.

Also, as others have mentioned, The Lord of the Rings line is (hopefully) still going so we may still see Sauron or the Witch King. Lego is bouncing all around with that license making sets from all three films every wave. They have a lot to try and cover. With the Hobbit it is much more linear and they seem to be releasing waves of sets that relate to and coincide with the movie release.

Edited by Deathleech

The LOTR line hasn't ended so there's not really any point there. I feel confident there will be a Smaug at some point but honestly everything that there is to say about the upcoming wave has been said until we have more information.

The point made is there were 2 waves already and such important villains are not released so why would there be surprised if Smaug is not released in this wave

2 good reasons talk against Smaug this wave.

1st - Castle line with molded dragon (why would LEGO compete with itself?)

2nd - Smaug is the grand thing to do as the last set of the LEGO line Hobbit which is next year or a year after.

Its logical...

I agree with Deathleech here. We already got the Witch King. He just wasn't wearing the fancy helmet yet. Given that he is the Nazgul who actually stabs Frodo on Weathertop, it's extremely likely that one of the two Nazgul minifigs in the AoW set is him.

Of course I'd like him in his signature armor just as much as the next LOTR geek. But even if that minifig never shows up, we've still got a Witch-King.

Sauron, on the other hand, has no physical presence in the time frame of LOTR itself and is totally unnecessary for playing out the story or MOCing. The movies themselves would be complete without ever showing him. The book certainly gets away with it.

Smaug, on the other hand, IS the story. No matter how many new villains and battle scenes PJ throws into his trilogy, can you imagine the outrage if he decided to just skip the scenes with the dragon? It can't be done. No Smaug, no story.

The same thing goes for the Lego version. If they don't make Smaug, they might as well never have paid fir the license. This isn't like not producing the Flying Dutchman, it's like if LSW never had a Death Star or Darth Vader.

The only question in my mind is whether we see Lego Smaug in 2013 or 2014. I reckon they could go either way with that.

Well to be fair it is the Desolation of Smaug, the example isn't the same. It wasn't Pirates of the Carribean: Rise of the Flying Dutchmen or Pirates of the Carribean: The Governor's Folly. Smaug is the central antagonist and a plot device, the catalyst for the entire three part Hobbit movies. True this does not guarantee that Lego will make him in some form, however trivializing his importance and equating him with supporting characters or ships isn't accurate. Smaug just happens to be a colossal dragon but he is still as pivotal to the narrative as The Emperor in RotJ or Count Dooku in AotC. Each of these are examples of characters who drove the story but did meet the protagonist until second or third act.

I agree that this newly created board is a fair compromise until the brickset list is verified or revealed. Here we will have more freedom to discuss ideas and set designs. At least now we shouldn't have any more confusion or issues about future Hobbit sets.

First you'll notice I said it would be a misstep, and I wasn't being entirely serious. The main reason I said that was to distinguish what THIS thread should be about versus the "official" set thread. that thread was discussing how Smaug should be built, and to me that thread is not for speculation on a character we don't even know will appear. Do I think he SHOULD appear? Certainly. Is he guaranteed to appear? No. Should the official set thread be cluttered with that? No. Did you all complain when there was wild speculation and wish lists in the official 2013 thread? Yes. Did you guys go back to doing that even after the topics were split? Yes. So I thought I would start the thread off with the kind of stuff the we should leave out of the 2013 official set thread.

Anywho, there were iconic elements of prior license themes that never made it in. PotC BARELY got a Davey Jones, and the rumor was there was going to be a D2C Flying Dutchmen and it got cut. Same thing could happen here if The Hobbit doesn't sell well. I do agree it is different in the fact that The Hobbit waves are based off the movies that are currently coming out. We got more stuff from Indy 4 and PotC 4 then the more classic movies, and this could happen here.

However, I also think after the 3 Hobbit movie there won't be any more Hobbit sets. I also think LotR could dry up at the same point. That means I only really see maybe 3 more waves to get all the LotR and Hobbit stuff you want, and honestly, I am SURE some of the characters will not make it in.

However, I also think after the 3 Hobbit movie there won't be any more Hobbit sets. I also think LotR could dry up at the same point. That means I only really see maybe 3 more waves to get all the LotR and Hobbit stuff you want, and honestly, I am SURE some of the characters will not make it in.

There are 6 SW movies, and a TV series. There are almost 400 LSW sets, I checked brickset.com, and I know lots of them are re-designs, or minisets, but still, there are only 19 LOTR sets out so far, and more then 100 different (not re-designed) sets from SW.

My point is, that there could be a lot more LOTR sets, not only re-designs, but also scenes that are not covered yet, and all the important (and less important, but still very cool) characters can be made in LEGO, we just have to wait a bit longer. The same is for The Hobbit, I am almost sure that all the characters are made in LEGO.

Thranduil and Beorn will appear in TABA, with Radagast and Azog Likely too.

Azog has been released as a Comic-Con exclusive.

LEGO-Hobbit-Azog.png

Are we still going to get one in a regular set?