Csacsa234

Review: 75020 - Jabba's Sail Barge

I wasn't paying attention to Lego much when the first sail barge was released, so I haven't seen it in person to compare this to. But, my lego store has this setup with the desert skiff in a display case, and I can say that it looks absolutely fantastic in person. It went from not on my radar to a must buy for me. Jabba's palace and the sail barge are such an iconic scene, any fan of star wars lego should have some version of each. I don't understand the heavy use of stickers though. Why couldn't they just use a handful of grille pieces (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2412a) instead? I plan on doing this instead of applying the stickers.

Ah yes, I have always wanted this set but never did get it in time! I had a chance a few weeks ago, and as you mentioned, the part count is way lower then the gunship, which is why I got the LAAT/i. Plus it's my favorite ship! Well crafted review! :thumbup:

I am glad lego decided to re-make this set since i missed out on the previous one and I think this version is far superior that the older one.

It is a decently designed set but the thing the bugs me is there is no conflict. The figures are nicely detailed but there are no main heroes to save the day. The last one had Luke, han and Lando! This one just seems bland. It is a nice ship with some detailed figures but that's it. There is nothing there to make you excited to get the set. There is no conflict leia is just sitting there. This is just a poor excuse not to make large sets with a lot in them anymore. The last barge had a skiff and a sarlacc. I understand the skiff set already exists but there were two in the film. If Lego had put a skiff in this set with han and chewie and a gamorean guard then this set would've been great as then you could by combining it with the skiff set accurately recreate the sequence from the film. had that been the set then I would have got it to put with the skiff set but sadly I must decline this set as to me it is a flying boat with some nice figures. Without a bit of conflict it puts me off the set as it seems well... humdrum. I think I'll go with the gunship this year as that is one of the best redesigns of a set I've seen in a long time! Plus it has conflict and a varied selection of minifigures to recreate a cool battle. Plus if you combine the Geonosis sets together you get an amazing battle! Maybe next year the flagship OT set of the summer will be less humdrum. My vote goes for the emperor's throne room if they are going for JEDI scenes. Very good review though!

Edited by legofreak86

I've just finished building mine, and it's a lot better than I'd imagined. The only downside are the plastic sails which are waaay too shiny and, well, plastic!! :look: I managed to get mine at a 33% discount (bless Amazon), and at that price it was very reasonable, but I wouldn't recommend buying one at full RRP.

Thanks for the nice review, I to still prefer the 6210, but I must admit the nose on this looks more accurate, I have yet to pick one up, but when/if I do , it think I'll try to merge the both models into one..

Take the nose from this one but the rear from the old.. and also make it a tad longer.

The figs in this set are adorable, Rebo is a so nice to finally see as a minfig.

I missed out on the original but picked up the new one this time around, as it is my only current opportunity to own a barge. I haven't built it yet so this review has been great fun to read - I now realise that this set isn't the disaster that I first thought. There seem to be quite a few nice touches and the figures are certainly better in the new version. Thanks for the review!

It is a decently designed set but the thing the bugs me is there is no conflict. <snipped>

I'm actually glad that there is no conflict right out of the box with this set. Instead of wasting pieces, and driving up the price, on a skiff and sarlacc, more attention is made on the actual sail barge model. Conflict can be had by buying the desert skiff set, which can easily be had for under $20 on sale. If these were included 75020 would have easily been a $150 set with people complaining about the high price.

With having the sets separate, more focus is paid to the main model, so I'm happy they went this route.

Tremendous review, thanks. You did a great job showing all the important parts of this set and even though I won't be getting it, I'm glad to have tour of it first to make up my mind for me -

I'd been on the fence for a while - unfortunately, I need to pass on this one.

I want to want to buy this set - as a child one of my favorite Kenner Figs was Ree-yees and I'm glad to see him in Lego Form (though I agree...he's too happy as a minifig. Not at all like the morose and melancholy Gran of my youth). I already have the new Jabba from the Palace (for my money I would buy another one of those before I got this) and I have the old Jabba's palace, #4480 that gives me Leia (And yellow skinned at that!) so I see nothing new for me in this set. I, too, prefer the old Sail Barge.

That said - I did get two of the Skiff this past go-around. I would like them to have a Barge to sail around, but I think I'll have to build it myself.

Hi. I have just bought this for 60 euros at Müller in Germany. It seems a good deal. Going to build it now. :classic:

Buying a 130€ 800 part SW set to get spare parts is for rich people ! Oo

I mean use Bricklink. You can have brown and dark tan slopes and plates for a much lower price ! ;)

I think it's a bit much to expect kids in LEGO's target audience to use Bricklink, and there are also some folks who just prefer getting new sets. It's nice that it's there, though.

This set has a lot more than just brown and dark tan slopes and plates, of course.

It is a decently designed set but the thing the bugs me is there is no conflict. The figures are nicely detailed but there are no main heroes to save the day. The last one had Luke, han and Lando! This one just seems bland. It is a nice ship with some detailed figures but that's it. There is nothing there to make you excited to get the set. There is no conflict leia is just sitting there.

What? No main heroes? What do you call Artoo and Leia? Yes, it's true the previous one had more, but two does not equal zero.

Leia may appear to be "just sitting there," but she's the one who takes out Jabba himself, remember? How is having those two characters in a set together at all not representing conflict, for that matter?