just2good

Disney Princess 2014 Rumors & Discussion

The pet chameleon in Rapunzel's set is so insanely cute :wub: That set along with Merida's and Ariel's smaller one are my faves.

Merida's bears and Ariel's Flounder are so sweet as well. I really wish I didn't have to collect another theme :tongue:

Besides for the fact that all of the Princess faces look identical, these sets look great. Sure, there's a wall piece here and there, but no more so than in a Castle theme. I see lots of detail everywhere, and the colors are lovely.

They also nailed Flynn Rider. His expression looks perfect!

Wow, the final Ariel looks great! And Flynn's face is spot on! The rest looks good too. Merida definitely seems like the worst one out of the bunch now. Oh well. But no Sebastian in either of the Ariel sets? :cry_sad: It seems odd that they would omit such a key character. Hopefully they will at least include a red crab in the Magical Kiss set like they did in the prelim, even though I was really hoping for a new mold like Flounder.

The sets themselves look better too, especially the carriage, even though the shape of it is still off.

The first post of this thread has been updated with the pictures.

Thanks! Now how about updating the thread title? :wink:

I will say most of the sets look a bit boring too me. I mean I get the impression the Friends theme and the mini dolls are designed more for role-playing and such, and yet they didn't really provide a diverse enough cast of characters for each princess. No villains and few supporting characters seems boring to me. It's not like there are many play features in these sets to begin with. I feel like sooner or later they'll have to include more characters if they want continuing success. I guess the character selection is serviceable for now, but will definitely need to improve in later waves.

Agreed, it's certainly not as interesting as it could have been, but there is at least one other character in each set. That's enough to have some interaction and do some role playing. These sets are actually better in that regard than the Friends sets, most of which only include one character and ironically none of their friends except maybe a pet.

I just noticed in the other pictures that there are two variations of Cinderella. How odd.

Odd indeed... Maybe the dress is just turned the wrong way on the Carriage box art? That would be hilarious if that was the case, but I doubt it. Either way, it's always nice to get variations.

Agreed, it's certainly not as interesting as it could have been, but there is at least one other character in each set. That's enough to have some interaction and do some role playing.

I concur; there seems to be enough characters for role playing. Each scene besides the Cinderella carriage has the proper characters, and LEGO never puts as many Minidolls in sets as they do Minifigures.

I really can't see them doing villains, at least for a long while. These sets are about happiness and romance, not conflict. Hence it being Rapunzel's Tower of Creativity instead of Rapunzel Tower Breakout - 'Blast apart the tower walls with the explosion mechanism and flick fire the missiles at Rapunzel and Flynn as they flee. Will they escape Rapunzel's evil mother Gothel? Only you can decide!'

Hopefully LEGO works its way to doing villains since they have cool designs in most of these movies, but I can't see it happening.

Hoth Bricks has some out-of-box pics. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any crab in the Magical Kiss set. :cry_sad: Oh well, maybe in the next wave.

It's nice to see that they get rid of Elsa's hair and create a new one for Ariel.

The pet chameleon in Rapunzel's set is so insanely cute :wub:

Her hair is the most difficult but uncomplainable (we all know the reason). Sadly TLC seem not to come up with a solution. (Maybe they can give a short brown one).

I will say most of the sets look a bit boring too me. I mean I get the impression the Friends theme and the mini dolls are designed more for role-playing and such, and yet they didn't really provide a diverse enough cast of characters for each princess. No villains and few supporting characters seems boring to me. It's not like there are many play features in these sets to begin with. I feel like sooner or later they'll have to include more characters if they want continuing success. I guess the character selection is serviceable for now, but will definitely need to improve in later waves.

Maybe they'll include more characters if future sets would be based on the same story. For now we can't judge that. We worry about it because many other princess-related products seldom include secondary characters who are not princesses or their lovers. For villains, I think those from Mulan and Brave should be made, because the heroines need a rival to (physically) fight against.

However there are two problems of characters remain in the Cinderella's castle: 1, as a large set we could expect more than three characters included (the third one could be Godmother). 2, TLC still didn't add animals from Cinderella's own story, but add some weird collectible Friend animals there (A crossover? Maybe I can expect Andrea appears too). Pascal (Tangled) and Flounder (Little Mermaid) also appears in other sets.

Edited by Dorayaki

The theme falls victim to the 'girliness' syndrome, but I am loving the new parts, though some are also in Friends. Go to Brothers Brick to see more images of the sets.

I'm guessing we'll see something from The Princess and the Frog later.

I mean I understand Rapunzel's hair is... long, lmao. But they could've just made a short version of it, I know!. Rapunzel only wears her hair braided in a small part of the movie, and the WORST thing of all is that they give her that hair when she is in the TOWER! FAIL! :wall::ugh::enough:

Anyway, I really like some elements from the magical kiss set and cinderella's castle! I noticed that what really makes that castle look ugly is the ENTRANCE.

My daughter's favourite Disney flick is Tangled, and the first question she had about the set was, "Where's Rapunzel's hair?!?" I must concur.

MY question was, "What? No flick fire missiles?" Those verdammt things somehow make their way into every LEGO set!

That chameleon is pure cuteness, I so want one!

And I miss a small pumpkin-chariot with a mouse - okay with a rat.

I don't mind what they did with Rapunzel's hair. There was really no easy way to represent that much hair, it was always going to be shorter than we wanted no matter what they attempted. There may have been a few other lengths they could have tried though. The braid is a good enough solution, and down the line they can always try again. Plus the hairpiece looks good by itself, so at least its reusable.

Loving the new parts, especially those wheels and the chameleon. The mini dolls are a little bland I think, but good theme overall.

:classic:

I am enjoying these quite a bit. My daughter is just turning two, and loves to say "Guwrl" (girl) to indicate the Friends mini-dolls that she wants to play with in her brick-built doll house. She doesn't watch movies yet, but I'm sure she would like these characters.

I like the minidolls dresses - and think they will fit in well with the Friends' wardrobes (if not better - I like these colors much better!)

Hadn't planned on these to buy, but will probably add a few in.

While I've only gotten a few small Friends sets, and I'm more likely to be found in the Superheroes section of the Lego toy isle, I'm loving these sets! :wub:

They just look so fantastical and best of all colorful. I have to say that I may be seriously considering getting that castle. It just looks so nice and unique from anything we've seen before. And then I do have to say that I'd want it just to expand it into a larger more defensive castle to contrast with my Helms Deep! That contrast part won't be hard! All it needs is a front door, maybe some taller walls, and troops, and I got myself a super cute Highgarden! (Is it bad that the first thing I think of when seeing this castle is how those inside would fend off an Orc attack?)

I also love the Rapunzel tower. The purple top looks great, and the whole thing actually looks very impressive and soild, not like those wimpy new age Castle towers we normally see. Ooo it's going to be hard to distribute funds for all the sets I want next year!

Those wheels really do look cool and would be perfect for Asgard or any number of other sci-fi or fantasy settings featuring such architecture.

Heck, they might even work for certain kinds of steampunk work.

Cinderella's carriage's wheels look like optimal steampunk pieces. The set overall isn't that bad, but I won't buy it for parts with the licenced pricing anyway. I hope the wheel won't be that pricey on Bricklink.

Steampunk ideas made me think of the classic H.G. Wells' The Time Machine. And the Big Bang Theory episode featuring that time machine.

I showed these to a girl from my class and she went nuts for the cinderella and rapunzel ones :laugh: She said she will now save for those instead of a Disney castle thing.

I wonder if they'll end up making a Mulan in armor. Not only would that need a new sculpt, but it might also clash with the cuteness and innocence of those sets. I think they'll just go for the dress/kimono and maybe the training outfit.

Still a Mulan set would be interesting as she might be the only princess minifig with an original face.

Edited by Elrond

An educated guess would say no. Mulan will probably appear as a princess, in line with the aforementioned and incredibly detailed discussion about Disney's iron-clad definition of what it takes to be a Disney Princess.

I really can't see them doing villains, at least for a long while. These sets are about happiness and romance, not conflict. Hence it being Rapunzel's Tower of Creativity instead of Rapunzel Tower Breakout - 'Blast apart the tower walls with the explosion mechanism and flick fire the missiles at Rapunzel and Flynn as they flee. Will they escape Rapunzel's evil mother Gothel? Only you can decide!'

Wait? You mean my planned display of Canibalistic Uruk Hai laying siege to Cinderella's Castle is not considered "Romantically Happy"? Bah! You people don't know good romance when it eats you...

An educated guess would say no. Mulan will probably appear as a princess, in line with the aforementioned and incredibly detailed discussion about Disney's iron-clad definition of what it takes to be a Disney Princess.

Mulan may be a tough one to do. Chinese style architecture does not do well in Pink, Purle and Pale Blue :D

Yeah I think you're right, even though I kinda skipped said discussion. I discovered recently that Disney only recognize 11 princesses, but that's about it.

Wait? You mean my planned display of Canibalistic Uruk Hai laying siege to Cinderella's Castle is not considered "Romantically Happy"? Bah! You people don't know good romance when it eats you...

Alright, that's one of the first things I thought when I saw that castle... glad I'm not the only one. :D

Mulan may be a tough one to do. Chinese style architecture does not do well in Pink, Purle and Pale Blue :D

Let's be honest here, no architecture style does well in pink, purple and pale blue. XD

I wonder if they'll end up making a Mulan in armor. Not only would that need a new sculpt, but it might also clash with the cuteness and innocence of those sets. I think they'll just go for the dress/kimono and maybe the training outfit.

That's one of the concern if TLC decided not to use minifigures (maybe they will in the future). They have to invent numerous parts for minidolls that didn't appear in Friends, same for the sizes of different characters. So far these problems haven't shown in the first wave.

An educated guess would say no. John Reid will probably appear as a Disney princess so he didn't...... WHAT?

I don't see there are any necessity of "education" since all of us can see that there are fights and adventures in Disney world, or TLC should simply make more sets of the non-violent Disney Junior instead (Would Mulan teach Sofia how to use dynamites?). You may "ignore", but it's just a self-deception. Since Disney want to use their brand to make kids watch their old classics, they would inevitably see how those brave heroines beat off scoundrels.

For Mulan, she is the most controversial pick as a princess, since she isn't an actual one and her story is mostly about fights and politics instead of romance (well, the sequel is more "romantic" but it means TLC have to produce Ting-Ting, Su, Mei and their lovers). My speculation is that Disney chose her as an Asian representive in order to market, since there are no princess folks that really stand out in Asia.

Edited by Dorayaki