Freddy Bricker

Will Lego Marvel ever focus on comic based sets?

So I just want to start off by saying that this is my first topic on eurobricks and that I am a new user (I started like 2 weeks ago) and I am an American, and I'm excited to hear what you have to say about my topic. Now I want to start off by saying that in 2014 alone the following 5 Marvel movies will be released: Amazing Spiderman 2, X-Men days of future past, Captain America: The winter soldier, Guardians of the galaxy, and Black Panther, with that being said I also want to remind you that every year Lego can only make 6 Marvel sets. So I just wanted to ask you guys how you think this will affect the Lego sets, obviously the movies will be released at different times, which means that some of these movies will get sets in 2015, but with 5 movies, Lego can only make 6 sets, and a Green Goblin big fig was already promised to be released in a set in 2014 as well. We also have no information on the 6th 2013 Marvel set, and Thor 2: The dark world is surely going to need a couple sets. So what do you think? Will Lego pass on making sets on some of these movies? If you think they would, what movies would they pass on? X-Men? Guardians of the galaxy? I believe that the SDCC fig of Spiderman in his AMS2 variant hints at ASM2 sets. Also they discontinued the Captain America's avenging cycle set which mean Lego may be preparing for sets in 2014. I would personally love it if Lego did not do X-Men Days of future past sets. Why? Well Lego only has 1 comic book based set in Marvel (being wolverines chopper showdown), and other than that only 5 mini-figs got comic book variants. The Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, the Phoenix, and Spiderwoman. When you make a theme that revolves around comic book's I find it to be a bad "move" to make so many sets not based on comic books. I would love another comic book based X-Men set. How about you? Sorry for the length of this article, but I just wanted to get that all off of my chest! Also I know the title was very misleading and that I talked (well typed) mostly about movies in this articles, but oh well.

Edited by STSH2013Lego

The obvious solution would be for TLG to increase the amount of Superhero sets per year to 20 (10 for DC, 10 for Marvel) not counting exclusives like D2C either. This would then be on par with Star Wars in terms of sets per year, and IMHO this theme has enough content to sustain it easily. Another possibility if this theme lasts as long Star Wars, then eventually we will see more comic based sets. Unfortunately, I get the feeling TLG doesn't know how to handle these licenses properly. I am not sure even if DC knows how to handle DC IP. :snicker: For the reasons why, who knows why; past bad sales on Spider-man and Batman themes, focus on vehicles, holding out the good stuff etc. So far SDCC exclusives have lived up to the hype of the theme, unfortunately the sets in the actual theme haven't. That is the biggest thing I take from all of it, I have given up on predicting what sets they are going to make.

It's hard to say if there will be any Lego based on X-Men: DOFP, since it's not a Marvel or WB movie. The same could go for ASM2. As for actual comic-based sets, who knows? I think they will try to put out at least one set in each wave that comes from comics, but the majority will come from the more visible movie franchises. There's just more money in the films.

It will happen, eventually (many many, MANY moons from now).

Look at how long it took before star wars started doing the variants and updated characters (the yellow to fleshies rev, etc) Things change give them time and do customs, it's good for your health (specially the mental one, when faced with the lack of variety by TLG)

So guys any bets on how many spideys we get next year?? 4-5, any takers, regards.

Edited by CustomJoe_MD