Ecclesiastes

Book II - Mitgardia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Hi rulers and citizens of mitgardia i was wondering what type of guild would be the best for me as i want to join the fun myself.

I really don't like to build snow areas or sand themed desert moc's.

I love grassy themed builds and would love to join the fun but what would be a good guild to start as a newbie medieval/fantasy builder?

All of the guilds feature grassy areas and you can base your character in those areas. It sounds like you have a preference for Avalonia, but as you have posted in Mitgardia, I am sure you would be welcome there too. Kaliphlin has beautiful grasslands on its northern borders.

:classic:

Kaliphlin also has tropical forest mountain terrain in the southeast.

Where in the South East? :) I thought the tropical forest was more to the island of Gorr :)

I see only sand, sand and a lot of trading caravans (yeeey gold!!) outside my city :)

Where in the South East? :) I thought the tropical forest was more to the island of Gorr :)

I see only sand, sand and a lot of trading caravans (yeeey gold!!) outside my city :)

I think there are tropical forests in the valleys on the eastern side of the Rakath mountains. Those mountains seem to be an important reason for the lack of rain in most of Kaliphlin as the prevailing direction for the weather systems in southern Historica is eastwards. This means that most has fallen as rain in the swamplands of Nocturnus (where not vaporized again by the volcanoes), on the east side of the Rakath range or as snow in the mountains before the clouds reach the Siccus badlands. This is a phenomenon called rain shadow. Fortunately, at least some of the melting snow feeds westward rivers, most notably the Qar-Akhen river. I assume that Mpya Stedor is affected by the rain shadow as well?

In the west, this rain shadow effect is less pronounced as there can be rain clouds coming in from the west in some parts of the year enabling the tropical forests on the west coast and on Gorr.

375px-Rainshadow_copy.jpg

A rain shadow is a dry area on the lee side of a mountainous area (away from the wind). The mountains block the passage of rain-producing weather systems and cast a "shadow" of dryness behind them.

The incoming warm and moist air is drawn by the prevailing winds towards the top of the mountains, where it condenses and precipitates before it crosses the top. The air, without much moisture left, advances behind the mountains creating a drier side called the "rain shadow".

Edited by Gideon

I think there are tropical forests in the valleys on the eastern side of the Rakath mountains. Those mountains seem to be an important reason for the lack of rain in most of Kaliphlin as the prevailing direction for the weather systems in southern Historica is eastwards. This means that most has fallen as rain in the swamplands of Nocturnus (where not vaporized again by the volcanoes), on the east side of the Rakath range or as snow in the mountains before the clouds reach the Siccus badlands. This is a phenomenon called rain shadow. Fortunately, at least some of the melting snow feeds westward rivers, most notably the Qar-Akhen river. I assume that Mpya Stedor is affected by the rain shadow as well?

In the west, this rain shadow effect is less pronounced as there can be rain clouds coming in from the west in some parts of the year enabling the tropical forests on the west coast and on Gorr.

375px-Rainshadow_copy.jpg

Awesome! :D hahaha thanks for the explanation :)

That's why the Nestlands are lush, but the high concentration of metals makes groundwater undrinkable without distillation. Good thing that the Clans had distillation before the Great Migration 2200 years ago. The dwarves of Mitgardia have had it even longer.

I used to live in Portland, Oregon where you real feel the effects of a mountain range off the coast. It rained 2 out of every 3 days and the climate coastward of the mountains was temperate rainforest, while landward it was arid and dry - kind of like Kaliphlin. Now I live in Wisconsin, similar to Southern Mitgardia/ Northern Avalonia. Haven't lived in any swamps or mazes yet though.

Haha, I love GoH. Now I'm even learning about meteorology! Thanks! :classic:

Wowww Nivremis thats a lot of action going on there!!! Lovely fortress!! The round tiled tower is great!

Haha, I love GoH. Now I'm even learning about meteorology! Thanks! :classic:

Why have fantasy-ish explanations when real world physics are perfectly adequate? :wink:

There are quite a lot of AoM builds in recent times.

Is there another challenge like the Hersir of Mitgardia military challenge or are these builds just for "fun"?

There are quite a lot of AoM builds in recent times.

Is there another challenge like the Hersir of Mitgardia military challenge or are these builds just for "fun"?

I think there might be a special tag :wink:

There's some good incentive to complete all of them, but mostly it's a really fun challenge that is just linear and progression-oriented enough to suck you in and just free-form enough to be inspiring.

I'd like to see the other Guilds mimic Age of Mitgardia, actually.

I finished my Mount Up entry, now I just need to figure out how to get it balanced for the pics :laugh:

So much cool stuff going on here mates but it's kinda hard to keep up with everything while working out the new challenge. Hope you are not mad that I can't comment on all of it.