Ecclesiastes

Book II - Mitgardia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

A general question:

I am getting into toying with fabrics and other non-Lego diorama type materials to accentuate my MOCs and was wondering what the GoH stance was on that. I know that homebrew cloth and string is accepted for ships, but what about for capes and other items? An example of what I'm working with is gray and black felt for fur cloaks and bundles of trade furs for Mitgardian shipping. The gray felt cloaks work much better than the lighter capes from Lego to capture the feel of heavy furs that would be worn in cold climates. Is this sort of customization acceptable? Are there hard or even soft limits on what can be brought in to add detail and flavor to GoH MOCs?

I can show some examples later on if it helps.

I think building a battle scene is optional, kabel will have to confirm, but I'm pretty sure you just have to finish all 3 phases of Stables, Archery, or Barracks to enter.

I hope that answers your question :classic:

Thanks a lot guys.

I should certainly read more carefully in the future.

A general question:

I am getting into toying with fabrics and other non-Lego diorama type materials to accentuate my MOCs and was wondering what the GoH stance was on that. I know that homebrew cloth and string is accepted for ships, but what about for capes and other items? An example of what I'm working with is gray and black felt for fur cloaks and bundles of trade furs for Mitgardian shipping. The gray felt cloaks work much better than the lighter capes from Lego to capture the feel of heavy furs that would be worn in cold climates. Is this sort of customization acceptable? Are there hard or even soft limits on what can be brought in to add detail and flavor to GoH MOCs?

I can show some examples later on if it helps.

Most GoHers seem to be okay with non-Lego materials in MoCs, but at the same time are themselves purists, aka, with the exception of rigging and sails for some, they would not do it themselves :wink:

Stables Phase II is now finished:

13961924575_c1957400d7_z.jpg

I think capes and strings are fine. they have been used quite a bit by GoHers.

Over in Avalonia, we post pictures of our soldiers all the time.

Non-Lego items can be tolerated when used for freebuilds, but for contests there are rules against certain things. Competitor building materials are very frowned upon in freebuilds, and a big NO in contests. Aftermarket weapons and bodywear are welcome.

I once used a wooden container from a faux plant as a roof in one of my builds. I was able to incorporate it into the build, but this kind of thing should be used sparingly.

Those are neat, especially the multimaterial ones. I have the means to make a lot of that stuff myself, though.

@Ecclesiastes: Your point is beautifully made, sir. I must disagree. I think, in limited ways, a little material addition to Lego can't hurt.

The conversation seems a bit dead here, anyone else working on builds? (I'm trying to finish Stables Phase III)

Edited by Garmadon

I'm working on the Hold Fast. It's turned out a lot bigger than I originally thought. I may put up a post, when it's finished, to entice Historicans to create crew members for it.

I am on vacation May 6-27 so I won't get anything out in that time, but I really want to continue with Age of Mitgardia and a few free builds I have in mind.

In terms of Book II, we're kinda waiting our turn for our civil war, right? In terms of general discussion, I'm up for anything.

I have a bunch of builds that I'm sitting on until the May 1st deadline for HoM and the beginning of Chapter 2. The reason being is my builds for chapter 2 come first in my storyline before the HoM builds. Just get ready for the MOC onslaught that day :grin:

School's really picked up, and I've been kinda MOC'ed out. More builds soon though!

As I am in an internship now, for the next 10 weeks orso, I won't be able to build a lot. I am waiting for the challenge, entered the categories in HoM I wanted to enter, and for AoM, well, I entered a few phase l builds, but I don't have the inspiration nor the bricks to make phase ll's.

I was gone a week, still working on several Thorshaven modules at the same time tough

The backstory for my sig fig SigFriynd Nors.

SigFriynd Nor-- Originally an Avalonian he migrated to Mitigardia after the war

in search of land to build a trading post, but soon fell in love with the beautifulness

of the land and decided to settle down near the Orc Marshes.

Good to hear that there are some builds coming :moar: Welcome (back?) to Mitgardia, Captain Donkey :wink:

Ok, stupid request. Can someone link the HSS main topic thread for me here? I can't it buried amongst all the other builds right now,

EDIT:

While I'm asking questions. Does anyone know if an AoM build can count as a HSS build also?

Edited by MKJoshA

I was recently commisioned to rebuild 5 of my models (4 of which are Mitgardian) so I've been using my building time to work on those. Currently I'm about half-way through the builds, so in another week or two I'll be able to get back to building some more stuff for here.

I visited the nearest LEGO store yesterday and this is what I bought.

14079249812_16532dc332_c.jpg

Part Counts:

medium lavender 1x2 plates: 1104

clear 1x1 plates: 1090

bley levers: 27

bamboo leaves: 75

grass stalks: 66

green 6x8 plates: 8

white 2x2 jumper plates: 32

medium blue 1x2 bricks: 217

dark bley 2x2 bricks: 77

tan 2x4 bricks: 27

bley 2x2 tiles: 1714

bley 2x2 slopes: 134

bley 2x4 bricks: 26

Total Part Count: 4,597

I'm willing to trade/sell some of what I got, so if you're interested in something send me a PM.