ZCerberus

Book II - Nocturnus: Guild sign-up and Discussion

On the issue of Kaliphlin; the Desert King controls the major trade hubs, but the outlying regions are mostly left to themselves. They pay taxes, and some contribute soldiers for military needs, but the Desert King doesn't have the military might to enforce societal control over the diverse populations.

The Nestlands Clans were able to beat back the Ulandus invasion of their regionĀ themselves, with some help from Shadowmere, and the Desert King's forces just chased the invaders' forces about the area. When the Desert King took the major Kaliphlin seats of power, the Nestlands Clans just got on with life.

The Mountain Mummies of the region were able to resist the Desert King's magical control, and stayed out of the fight. They recognize him as ruler, but refuse to call him Pharaoh, because he is an undead thing, not the Living Horus. The Nestlands Clans did the same to honor their allies.

The Nestlands Clans supported Shadowmere in its resistance to Raavage, and maintain an embassy at the edge of the Moruth swamplands near the Claw Breakers' lands. It's even on the Nocturnus map. The Nestlands Clans maintain a steady cross-border trade with most of the southernĀ Rakath werewolves clans, and a mutual defense treaty with Shadowmere.

So then Kali is sort of barely more unified than Nocturnus, but the Desert King is at least nominally the leader, or at least represents Kali interests to the Queen?

11 hours ago, mccoyed said:

I had this idea that Nocturnus is still war-torn with pockets of fierce fighting as different factions try to get up on each other. Rather than being a unified Guild like the others, recent events have left Nocturnus fractured into a bunch of small principalities, fiefs, and strongholds where no one knows who they can trust anymore.

Nocturnus has always been a hostile place, filled with danger around every corner:Ā beasts, bands of thieves, rogues, and the hostile terrain itself. Our territories of control have never extended much further than the settlements themselves. So it's mostly Nocty business as usual.Ā :shrug_oh_well:Ā 

5 hours ago, mccoyed said:

So then Kali is sort of barely more unified than Nocturnus, but the Desert King is at least nominally the leader, or at least represents Kali interests to the Queen?

It would be totally out of character for the Desert King Ā to be subservient to Cedrica.Ā He has always claimed he is the rightful ruler of the Guilds and it was mostly Nocturnus support that put him in power in Kaliphlin. His claim to the throne dates centuries ago so depending on perspective could legally supersede the Queen.

Edited by Mike S

7 hours ago, Mike S said:

It would be totally out of character for the Desert King Ā to be subservient to Cedrica.Ā He has always claimed he is the rightful ruler of the Guilds and it was mostly Nocturnus support that put him in power in Kaliphlin. His claim to the throne dates centuries ago so depending on perspective could legally supersede the Queen.

Indeed. I'm not sure, but I'd say that only Mitgardia and Avalonia (and of course Cedrica, but that's not a guild) are completely under the Queen's reign. Kaliphlin is torn, with the DK notĀ acknowledging the new ruler, while the various free cities and regions could be looking to her for protection or leadership (could, because every semi-independent town decides on its own now, if I understand the situation in the South correctly?). With the Hand defeated (or at least beaten), the Nocturnians recognise the new Queen as their suzerain, but the very nature of the Darklands just doesn't allow a really centralised authority. As for Varlyrio: noone knows what has happened to the fifth guild during the last Book, so...

Again, just my imagination running wild, what are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, TitusV said:

Indeed. I'm not sure, but I'd say that only Mitgardia and Avalonia (and of course Cedrica, but that's not a guild) are completely under the Queen's reign. Kaliphlin is torn, with the DK notĀ acknowledging the new ruler, while the various free cities and regions could be looking to her for protection or leadership (could, because every semi-independent town decides on its own now, if I understand the situation in the South correctly?). With the Hand defeated (or at least beaten), the Nocturnians recognise the new Queen as their suzerain, but the very nature of the Darklands just doesn't allow a really centralised authority. As for Varlyrio: noone knows what has happened to the fifth guild during the last Book, so...

Again, just my imagination running wild, what are your thoughts?

That is pretty much how I see the situation although didnā€™t Varlyrio support The Hand at one point? So highly Ā unlikely Varlyrio is in support of the Queen... unless of course she managed to gain support there before coming back to Cedrica.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

That is pretty much how I see the situation although didnā€™t Varlyrio support The Hand at one point? So highly Ā unlikely Varlyrio is in support of the Queen... unless of course she managed to gain support there before coming back to Cedrica.

It wasn't Varlyrio proper, but a portion of the guards' force (cannot remember what they were called) joined the HandĀ trying to secretly control Historica through Raavage. I think he turned on them midway through his offensive campaign.

1 hour ago, gedren_y said:

It wasn't Varlyrio proper, but a portion of the guards' force (cannot remember what they were called) joined the HandĀ trying to secretly control Historica through Raavage. I think he turned on them midway through his offensive campaign.

Yes, I stated Varlyrio as a whole because it seemed to be VarlyrioĀ sanctioned military instead of some random mercenaries who happened to beĀ from Varlyrio. But you are right, I seem to remember something like a falling outĀ between them and Raavage as well, hence probably why they have disappeared from the scene for the last while.

It would be interesting if Varlyrio staged an invasion/colonization of Historica to take advantage of all the chaos and the disunity. I thought the Guilds were more unified than they are, so Book 3 is set to be more politically interesting and chaotic than I expected.

Ā 

Ā 

I'm looking forward to joining up for Book III, and will be joining Nocturnus (if it stays an option).

If it is not an option, it doesn't really matter which guild I join, as most of my characters and builds will be in Nocturnus.

So this post is just my pledge of support in the campaign for a Nocturnian option.

The irony is that Nocturnus is the most active guild thread right now. Doesn't seem like too many Mitgardians, Avalonians, or Kaliphlinites have come out of the woodwork since the announcement of Book 3. Or maybe they're hiding and biding their time. Or I'm trying to drum up some Nocturnus activity so the staff don't close the guild!

I really donā€™t understand what all the fuss is about, itā€™s not like Nocturnus is being thrown into the abyss and removedĀ GoH history never to come back. As already stated many times, you can still continue to build your story in Nocturnus.Ā 

I think the lack of discussion in the other guild threads is because nothing is going to change there, people are just waiting for book III now.

Ā 

Dr Rod was one of the first characters in Nocturnus (2011) and possibly the longest serving member of Nocturnus here anymore?.. but he doesn't do much these days :)

I'll always keep doing the odd build in Nocturnus and some day Dr Rod's castle will get built.. Until then he's just hanging out in the Northern Rakath Mountains around Rod's Peaks tinkering in his chem lab ;)

Dr Rod

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Dr Rod

6 hours ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

I really donā€™t understand what all the fuss is about, itā€™s not like Nocturnus is being thrown into the abyss and removedĀ GoH history never to come back. As already stated many times, you can still continue to build your story in Nocturnus.Ā 

I think the lack of discussion in the other guild threads is because nothing is going to change there, people are just waiting for book III now.

Ā 

There's no fuss in the way you mean. Just trying to throw some shade, be silly, and get some energy and activity built up. If you look around, GoH is still incredibly quiet and in the past there has been a lot of chatter around new events. I don't see that this time and it does kinda worry me. You're probably right that people are just in hibernation waiting for Book 3 but in the meantime, getting some juice flowing in the Guild threads can't hurt.

I'm back with a build! Not my personal saga this time, it's a scene from the Nocturnus Civil War:Ā 

Ā 

While looking for inspiration, I've been doing some digging into old threads lately. There were many places on our map of whichĀ I didn't know anything. I think many newer guild members feel the same way, as there are quite a few settlements that haven't seen builds in years.Ā So thereforeĀ I thought I would share some featuresĀ that I foundĀ and I am willing to add more info as we go:

25154188325_a3d6a3aaf2_b.jpg

Merodaquinas

Important stop for people who have crossed or are about to cross the Kelra Labyrinth.

Half timbered houses (reminiscent of Avalonia), canals for transporting goods. Theft and other shady businesses are common.

Population:Ā mostly human.

Roofs: Bright red or dark red.

Builds found: 1, 2

Builders: @Cij Daoke

Ā 

Lith My'athar

Very large royalĀ city in the depths of the underground. A major crossroad in the network of underground passages and lavaĀ chambers that spans Avalonia, Nocturnus and Kaliphlin. According to the lore, it is connected to a twin city in another dimension.

Bright red and black gothic superstructures with lots of towers andĀ bridges, with bows, spikes, stained windows and supposedly magical devices. State of the art knowledge of magic. Obsession with hunting and enslavement of 'strong'Ā species and monsters, to add to the 'arsenal' of curiosities. ArguablyĀ the most diverse population in all of Historica.

Population: Dark elves (Drow, the rulers), surface dwellersĀ (i.e. lizardfolk, snakemen,Ā half dragons, feline humanoids,Ā orcs, wherewolves) andĀ abyssal dwellers (i.e. humanoid bats, demons, elementals).Ā Ā 

Roofs: Bright red or black.

Builds found: 1Ā 

Builders: @Angeli

Ā 

Kelra Labyrinths

System of labyrinths, plugs the gap in the Rakath Range and forms the greatest constructedĀ barrier for anyone trying to get to the heart of Nocturnus.

Disorienting maze of overgrown stone walls of varying height.Ā 

Population: Minotaurs, lizardfolk and lost travellers.Ā 

Builds found: 1,Ā 2, 3

Builders: @I Scream Clone, @Windusky

Ā 

Fallen Angel

Crater/geological depression in the Siccus Badlands. Mysterious place, reportedly surrounded by remnants of an ancient civilization. Purple water lakes.

Population: -

Roofs: -

Builds found: 1Ā 

Builders: @-Carson Haupt-

Ā 

Port Wrath

A grim, dangerousĀ harbor town in the Northern Rakath Mountains, lawless black market trading hub. Blood-red water in and around the harbor, reportedly cursed.

Wooden and stone wharfs, taverns and trading houses in shades of grey, red stained windows. Skulls and spikes serve as decoration.

Population: Minotaurs, orcs,Ā undead,Ā cyclopes, ghosts, tradesmen.Ā 

Roofs: Black or dark red.

Builds found: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Builders: @Dr Rod, @Captain Nemo, @Lord Vladivus

Ā 

CarakathĀ 

Town in the Southern Rakath Mountains, once home to a fighting tournament with wild animals and children.

Population: Humans, dwarves, orcs.

Roofs: Dark red.

Builds found: 1

Builders: @Exetrius

Ā 

The Reach

Surface capital of the goblin empire, the southernmost city of Nocturnus, located in a narrow, forestedĀ river valley inĀ the Rakath Mountains.

Free standing houses of wood, small wooden watchtowers on poles and stone fortifications.Ā Colourful, autumnal trees are interspersing the city.Ā 

Population: Goblins, orcs, humans, dwarves, kozar.Ā 

Roofs: Brown.

Builds found: 1, 2, 3, 4

Builders: @Blufiji, @Brandon Stark

Ā 

Zotharith

City at the edge of a swamplandĀ onĀ the eastern side of the Rakath Range. Major magic development hub. City lies partly on rocky river banks, partly expands into the marshes. Home to a big magic festival.

Small wooden huts/houses on polesĀ in the swampy outskirts, extensive arcane energy collector network. Oriental featuresĀ adopted from eastern Kaliphlin.Ā Horned roofs.

Population: Humans, orcs,Ā mages.

Roofs: Black.

Builds found: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Builders: @Exetrius, @jaapxaap, @Henjin_Quilones

Ā 

Town of Illusion

It's indicated on the map of Nocturnus, so it should exist, yetĀ unambiguous andĀ detailed recordsĀ of the place seem to beĀ missing...

Population: -

Builds found: Only this comment

Builders: @Dr.Cogg

Ā 

Shadowmere *HSS Status: Hamlet*

Large andĀ ancientĀ fortifiedĀ city inĀ central Nocturnus, built on an active volcanic plateau, surrounded by the Moruth Swamplands. Invaluable stronghold of the Nocturnian Resistance in the warĀ against the Black Spire.Ā 

Black, gothic citadel with many towers, arches and spikes, black city walls. Swamps, lava streams, blood fountains.Ā 

Population: Vampires, undead, orcs, lizardfolk, minotaurs.

Roofs: Bright red, black.

Builds found - exterior: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Builds found - interior:Ā 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,Ā  6, 7

Builders: @Lord Vladivus, @MassEditor, @Mike S, @TitusV, @SkaForHire, @Jorrith

Ā 

Nestlands Embassy (Formerly:Ā Kas'ret Vud)

Fortified settlement at the southern edge of the Moruth Swamplands, founded on a granite plateau surrounded by swamp and red badlands.Ā Conquered, abandoned and re-inhabited countless times, currently under rule of Shadowmere, run by the alliedĀ Nestlands Clan from Kaliphlin as an ambassy.Ā 

Thick stone outer walls, blackĀ gothic buildings, Kaliphlinian buildings, remnants of previous occupations. Magic installments.

Population: Orcs, wherewolves, minotaurs.

Roofs: Black, reddish brown, bright blue

Builders: @gedren_y

Ā 

RockwailĀ 

Ancient fortified city in the Boulderbogs, heart of the Moruth Swamplands, founded onĀ bed rock. According to lore, the entire fortress was carved out by dwarves, from aĀ giant boulder. Shrouded in fog, protected by thick walls andĀ a magic barrier, it is a secret and secure place.Ā 

Worn and weathered walls, dark, narrow streets, diverse, crooked and leaning buildings, taverns, makeshift scaffolding above the streets. Vast underground network of catacombs and dungeons.

Population: Humans, orcs, snakemen, frogmen, undead.

Builds found: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Builders: @-Sunder-

Ā 

Abyssian ***Capital***

Abyssian Castle is located at the centre of Nocturnian peninsula, in the Moruth Swamplands, and is home to (former?) guild leader Lord Ssylirrlith and the throne of Nocturnus. The castle was under an exhaustive siege by the Black Spire, but ultimately did not succumb. It harboursĀ theĀ Orion sphere, a crystal which allegedly holds the power to raise an army of millions of dead, and can be used to predict theĀ future.

Built on cluster of rocks suspended above the swamp, a grey fortress with many octagonal towers, big decorative spikes, and chains.Ā 

Population: Lord Ssylirrlith, lizardfolk, snakemen

Roofs: Light bluish grey, dark bluish grey

Builders: @I Scream Clone, @Ecclesiastes

Ā 

Harbringer's Haven

A village in the far north of Nocturnus. At the village lays a cemetery and a largeĀ vampire tomb.

Population: Vampires, batfolk, undead.Ā 

Builds found: 1

Builders: @Jorrith

Ā 

Kyrrath

Kyrrath, also known as the City of Purple, is aĀ city located between the forest of Grimwood and the Kyrrath Mountains.Ā 

Famous for it's half timbered houses with strange shapes, twists, and purple roofs. The terrain is mostly rocky, withĀ purple and green trees and murky green waters.

Roofs: Purple.Ā 

Builds: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Builders: @jaapxaap, @Exetrius

Ā 

Skavenport

A portĀ cityĀ east of Grimwood and the Kyrrath Mountains, where rats and men live side by sideĀ as merchants, craftsmen and farmers.

Half timbered houses with odd anglesĀ and sharp roofs, narrow streets.

Builds: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Builders: @Jacob Nion

Edited by Exetrius
expansion completed

3 hours ago, Windusky said:

@ExetriusĀ I've posted two small builds in Kelra, for your data. Build 1 and build 2.Ā 3 years ago! How the time has passed!

Thanks;Ā added!

Also added references to the builds and builders I found.

Maybe it is time for Drow to return and take over (everything:)
city by city :D

story aside, I have been building more then ever in my life, almsot on dayly basis, but I have been going trough themes a lot - I don;t know if there is a theme I haven't touched - it appears new challenges gave me new joy :)

I could tell you, though, I am preparing a world record Castle diorama, a Drow scene :) 12x12 48x48, and if it all goes as planned, with 10.000 minifigs, 3m tall castles and a 1:1 real life statue of some creature (possibly Cyclops), who will stand on the floor, one hand on the desk, other hand in air, with club - size of real human. I will try to contact Guiness book of records for this - and ALL will be built within 3 months :D

I will keep you informed :)

I will also make a series of posts with all my new creations, from last few years :)

So, what is going on in Historica? :)

On 10/2/2018 at 7:51 PM, Angeli said:

Maybe it is time for Drow to return and take over (everything:)
city by city :D

story aside, I have been building more then ever in my life, almsot on dayly basis, but I have been going trough themes a lot - I don;t know if there is a theme I haven't touched - it appears new challenges gave me new joy :)

I could tell you, though, I am preparing a world record Castle diorama, a Drow scene :) 12x12 48x48, and if it all goes as planned, with 10.000 minifigs, 3m tall castles and a 1:1 real life statue of some creature (possibly Cyclops), who will stand on the floor, one hand on the desk, other hand in air, with club - size of real human. I will try to contact Guiness book of records for this - and ALL will be built within 3 months :D

I will keep you informed :)

I will also make a series of posts with all my new creations, from last few years :)

So, what is going on in Historica? :)

Wishful thinking on the Drow Plague ;)

Hadn't checked out your Flickr in a while.Ā  Some interesting variety of themes you are getting into, and Star Wars?! - Excellent!

You may some reading to do to catch up on Historica...

Hello!

How are you nocturnians doing these days? I was on a little break from Lego building, but it seems i am back. (Also just want to let you all know i had a username change- i was known as "Lazer" before.)

Is there a Nocturnus Book III topic, or we just continue this one? Do i have to sign up again or something?

Have a good day!

3 hours ago, MaasEffekt said:

Hello!

How are you nocturnians doing these days? I was on a little break from Lego building, but it seems i am back. (Also just want to let you all know i had a username change- i was known as "Lazer" before.)

Is there a Nocturnus Book III topic, or we just continue this one? Do i have to sign up again or something?

Have a good day!

Welcome back, Lazer! Shall I call you Maas from now on?Ā 

Sadly, the Guild of Nocturnus has fallen into a slumber. Due to the inactivity of its members, Nocturnus is no longer a playable guild: it does not accept new members, and you can't participate in challengesĀ under its banner, but other than that you can just continue building here like you used to. You are free to switch to any of the four other guilds Ā (Avalonia, Mitgardia, Kaliplin and Varlyrio), regardless if you still feel Nocty at heart.Ā :wink:Ā 

I'm not going to switch guilds unless there is a challenge I really,Ā reallyĀ like to participate in. There isĀ enoughĀ work to do to round up the events of the Civil War alone, which is vital if we want to see Nocturnus become playable again in the future.

Ā 

I am very sorry to hear about the guild, but i understand. Thank you for informing me about the situation. While i was inactive, i checked EB from time to time, but somehow i missed this. I will think about the guild switch, but it won't be an easy decision.

@MaasEffekt: if you read the guild description for Varlyrio the western part of the island has a lot of non-human tribes similar to Nocturnus, so check that out if you want to keep a relatively dark vibe to your builds.