ZCerberus

Book II - Nocturnus: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Steampunk and airships have been discussed multiple times, and it is always turned down. Some dwarves machinery is used, but be aware that it is pushing the boundaries of the established lore of GoH. Use it with caution, as using too much could upset members of cause controversy.

I don't think there's a problem with having a brick built figure, but you might also want a minifigures version for others to use, should they want to include your character in a build.

Hi all, I'm thinking of rejoining Nocturnus, so before I post my character and faction I have 2 questions:

1. Are GoH open to steampunk elements? Can I base my faction around that? Are airships and stuff like that allowed?

2. Does my character have to be a minifig or can he be brick built?

I'm no expert myself (especially being Avalonian), but I think the answer to the first is largely what Titus said, though I think it would depend on how steampunk-ish you go, especially being in Nocturnus. I could imagine a warlock rising with some sort of fire-breathing machine out of a swamp, powered by dark magic or soul crystals, or something like that, but you do have to keep in mind that these are medieval-era fantasy guilds. Steampunk is generally, to my knowledge, a 19th-century (the heyday of steam locomotives) based fantasy genre. A kooky medieval inventor could make a da Vinci-esque flying machine, or a glider, perhaps, but probably not a whole zeppelin-style airship.

As for your second question, I have no idea. I have never seen anyone else with anything but a minifig main character, but I suppose it could be possible to have a brick-built one. The main thing to keep in mind, if it is possible, would be that it would have to be able to interact with minifigs and be compatible with them. But really I do not know. One of the forum moderators or regulators would have to make the final call there, as Titus mentioned in his post.

But welcome!

Hi all, I'm thinking of rejoining Nocturnus, so before I post my character and faction I have 2 questions:

1. Are GoH open to steampunk elements? Can I base my faction around that? Are airships and stuff like that allowed?

2. Does my character have to be a minifig or can he be brick built?

I am not a member of Nocturnus but to answer your questions:

1. To put it simply - no. I tried to do that but it did not end. However, as TitusV said, some [Mitgardian] Dwarves use specific varieties of technology. If you really want to incorporate some sort of technology, I suggest bringing the idea up with a seasoned user or moderator. After all, GoH is supposed to more Medieval-Fantasy and not Steampunk.

2. Your signature minifig can be whatever you want to some degree. After all, it is your character. Just don't make like a robot or something that involves sophisticated technology. But if you want other players to incorporate you into a build or whatever, minifig is the way to go.

Something just came to mind about your steampunk question:

Get a look at the Skaveport Incinerator by Jacob Nion and one of Nion's KCW builds featuring a canon. I think that's about the border.

Thanks for your replies.

I didn't necessarily wanted to build a steampunk faction, I was asking because I have several ideas and wanted to narrow it down :)

Something just came to mind about your steampunk question:

Get a look at the Skaveport Incinerator by Jacob Nion and one of Nion's KCW builds featuring a canon. I think that's about the border.

Aye, that bombard didn't upset anyone. But as I mentioned in an earlier discussion about steampunk elements, it was more a combination of bloack magic and alchemy. The borders between magic and technology are fluent, something Tolkien depicted wonderfully in his work. Look at Saruman. That's the level of technology that fits into the guilds. But literally steampunk, machines which are actually self propelled by an engine- that's probably too much, simply because there would be no end. With that technology you could do anything and soon we would have cars and airplanes travelling from guild to guild.

The challenge is to find ways to depict your ideas that fit in this world. If you want to travel the sky, you do not need airships or steam power. Think of Lego's very first fantasy castle theme, the Fright Knights. They had dragons carrying flying machines. It looked ridiculous, but you may get the spirit. Or simply use a gryphon. The whole fantasy setting offers so many possibilities that you really don't need steampunk. Just use a bit of magic and maybe some fantasy creatures.

About the brick built character thing: though it is always stated that you shall create a sig fig to join the guilds, and a sig fig is per definitionem a minifigure, I really don't see any reason why a brick built character should violate the rules. If you want to be a giant, I think it would be awesome to see it brick built. And nobody ever asked if he could be a dragon. I don't see why that should be a problem. It would surely be an enrichment for the game. Thinking out of the box is always a great thing.

as for regular sig figs: don't make your character an invincible, immortal super superior awesome godlike hero nobody can challenge. That's something so mundane everybody should know without mentioning it.

I've asked a similar question in the general discussion thread a while ago. If you are familiar with Lord of the Rings, I'd say all the stuff there are the limit of technology in Historica too. Catapults, ballistae, rails and vagons for dwarven mines, crude elevators and gate opening/closing mechanisms, windmills and watermills, bellows, black oil (ask Kaliphlinites for more detail), and even black powder (not gunpowder, something like Saruman prepared and has a limited use, not for making cannons and guns) are what you can expect to see in Historica. But, gyrocopters and mortars like in Warcraft 3, or an army of mass produced dwarven automatons like in The Elder Scrolls series are a not allowed, as much as I'd love to see Drow torn apart by a legion of steampunk automatons. :tongue:

Aye, that bombard didn't upset anyone.

Except for Algus, that is! :grin: It's still one of my fav Nocturnus builds!

Edited by Sorrelon

Yep, no full on steampunk armies! :laugh:

Although I do think it would be fun some time to make some builds set in the world of the guilds several thousand years in the future!

Yep, no full on steampunk armies! :laugh:

Although I do think it would be fun some time to make some builds set in the world of the guilds several thousand years in the future!

Nexo Historica anyone? :laugh:

Don't. Even. Metion. It. D:

(I despise that stuff) :p

Except the lava bad guys. I love those and am building up a small army of them, possibly to attack my lands in Avalonia. But the sets themselves, and the good guys, are less than excellent, being neither good space stuff nor good castle stuff.

Nexo Historica anyone? :laugh:

Oh god no... :oh: In such case, I would definitely bring down technology and choose the side with the "evil" wizard lords of destruction! :tongue:

But we could have techno castles and mechanical horses, and glowing vibro-lances, right? Who wouldn't want that, a thundering charge of rocket-powered Nexo-Flight-of-Dragons cavalry across the plains of Avalonia, or titan mech-walkers scaling the peaks of Mitgardia like the gods of old, or an oasis full of sassy hologram wizards in the deserts of Kaliphlin? Exciting stuff!

Right?

Right?

Guys?

In such case, I would definitely bring down technology and choose the side with the "evil" wizard lords of destruction! :tongue:

Wouldn't we all? :wink:

But we could have techno castles and mechanical horses, and glowing vibro-lances, right? Who wouldn't want that, a thundering charge of rocket-powered Nexo-Flight-of-Dragons cavalry across the plains of Avalonia, or titan mech-walkers scaling the peaks of Mitgardia like the gods of old, or an oasis full of sassy hologram wizards in the deserts of Kaliphlin? Exciting stuff!

Right?

Well, we could start a new version of GoH set in the future... "Guilds of Modernorica"! :laugh:

Right?

Right?

Guys?

I don't know about you guys but i'd quite like one of those pre-historic light sabers. Oh, and one of those castles-on-wheels, and a coulpe of the great flying sheilds :D yeah, isn't nexo knights one of the best totally not sci-fi castle series that is still actually a sci-fi series ever? ;p

I don't know about you guys but i'd quite like one of those pre-historic light sabers. Oh, and one of those castles-on-wheels, and a coulpe of the great flying sheilds :D yeah, isn't nexo knights one of the best totally not sci-fi castle series that is still actually a sci-fi series ever? ;p

As I said before, at least it has good-looking bad guys, such that I almost went Nocturnian before ultimately choosing Avalonia. It's just about the only silver lining I have been able to find.

Right?

Right?

Guys?

I just died a little inside...

Now I feel terrible even bringing up the topic! :laugh:

Right?

Right?

Guys?

And while we are at it..lets make Historica's first low orbit manned flight vehicle...those dwarves can do it!

And while we are at it..lets make Historica's first low orbit manned flight vehicle...those dwarves can do it!

I expect it to be a collaboration between dwarven and goblin engineers. And for the sake of making it super cheesy (a.k.a. more Nexo-ish :tongue:) , the vehicle should be operated by being thrown to the low orbit by a supercharged catapult, then once it reaches the preferred altitude, engines start to keep it aloft.

Edited by Sorrelon

As I said before, at least it has good-looking bad guys, such that I almost went Nocturnian before ultimately choosing Avalonia. It's just about the only silver lining I have been able to find.

I didn't realise there was a silver lining! :laugh:

Jokes aside, those mini figures and even some of monster themed sets have some good parts. When the theme is finishing up and sets are on remainder, I intend to get a few and to even keep the trans orange parts for SHIPtember!

Catapult? Possible, I suppose, though there would have to be a very clever solution for bringing the pilot safety back to land. Edited by BrickCurve

Now that the nexo figures are back in discussion: we were looking for a name for that race a few months ago, now that they became generic citizen of Nocturnus.

Now that the nexo figures are back in discussion: we were looking for a name for that race a few months ago, now that they became generic citizen of Nocturnus.

Abyssal blood orcs?

Hellfire dwellers?

Pyrotrolls, maybe?

Abyssal blood orcs?

Hellfire dwellers?

Pyrotrolls, maybe?

I had been planning on calling them Lavarians in my own mythology out west, since they arise out of the lava of a volcano. But I was also planning on calling the volcano Lavaria, so that could just be their territorial affiliation.