Pandora

2014 Friends Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Do you mean Series 5 (macaw/orangutan/bear) ?

Series 4 (tiger/turtle/penguin) has been out since January.

Not in the US. i've been eagerly awaiting Series 4 coming out. I'm glad to see it finally! Though it wasn't at Target last night :(

A microscope! Aigh! Yee :)

Not much of a lab otherwise :( But there are a lot of animals and hrms.

An interesting set, but for unknown reason it doesn't appear in the fairs or catalogues. The only thing that bothers me is these trees need lareger leaves or brances becasue it looks like that the characters chopped the trees in order to build a lab :look:. We've know that TLG seldom design realistic trees.

But there are a lot of animals and hrms.

Well it's not a small set but only one figure isn't enough to me.

An interesting set, but for unknown reason it doesn't appear in the fairs or catalogues.

That's because it's a retail exclusive set. But, even then, it was in one of my catalogs. :classic:

It's strange it comes with 4 animals and so many bricks, and only one minidoll.

It's strange it comes with 4 animals and so many bricks, and only one minidoll.

You must be new to Friends, that seems to be the norm to me. To get two minifigs I think it has to be at the $70 price point (I'm kidding, but not by much). This isn't much of an issue for my daughter any longer since she has almost every Friends set they've made... however the same problem plagues the Disney Princess sets and she has really complained that the princesses have nobody to interact with.

Edited by meyerc13

You must be new to Friends, that seems to be the norm to me. To get two minifigs I think it has to be at the $70 price point (I'm kidding, but not by much). This isn't much of an issue for my daughter any longer since she has almost every Friends set they've made... however the same problem plagues the Disney Princess sets and she has really complained that the princesses have nobody to interact with.

I actually thought this set looked like the Horse Trailer set (which retails for $25 if I recall? One minifigure because it had the horse.) Many Friends sets at the $25 price point have two minidolls. (Butterfly Beauty Ship, Heartlake News Van) At $50 (High School) you get 3 minidolls. The Riding Camp (at $100) had 4! And 3 horses

Sets of similar size and price (3061, 3184, 3187, 41006, 41007, 41035, 41056) all have two minifigs. The only set of roughly the same size with only 1 figure is 3186. I'd say it's very far from the norm to have only one figure in a 30 USD / 30 EUR set.

My point is, that LEGO rarely gives the same number of minidolls in a set that you'd get minifigs in a non-Friends set at the same price point. Heck, I can buy a $13 set and get four minifigs, but I'd need to buy a $100 set to get four minidolls. That same $100 would get me a City set with seven minifigs.

Even worse, every Friends set contains at least one of the main Friends, and I think at most only one character who isn't one of the main ones. So the entire unique population of Heartlake City is very small... at least so far. Which brings me back to my point about Disney Princesses... unless the princesses cross from one world to another and visit each other, they all live in very lonely places, at least so far.

Compared with City or other minifigure themes, the scenario of Friends doesn't really need aremy builders to "populate" Heartlake City. It more focuses on relationships between certain characters in one set. Well, sometimes I think the lack of minidolls per set does have impact on the lack of diversity of characters, because most of the sets have to include one of the five leading heroines and leave little room for the others. There are still different torso prints and minifigure hairpieces for customizers, but face prints are another problem for them.

Pretty much agree that it really matters in licensed themes. Fans always expect to see more characters from the given story. I've never seen a castle set from Castle theme comes with only two minifigures (queen and king??)

Edited by Dorayaki

An interesting set, but for unknown reason it doesn't appear in the fairs or catalogues. The only thing that bothers me is these trees need lareger leaves or brances becasue it looks like that the characters chopped the trees in order to build a lab :look:. We've know that TLG seldom design realistic trees.

Well it's not a small set but only one figure isn't enough to me.

If it doesn't appear in catalogs and isn't shown at toy fairs then 99% of the time it is a merchant exclusive set.

My point is, that LEGO rarely gives the same number of minidolls in a set that you'd get minifigs in a non-Friends set at the same price point. Heck, I can buy a $13 set and get four minifigs, but I'd need to buy a $100 set to get four minidolls. That same $100 would get me a City set with seven minifigs.

Even worse, every Friends set contains at least one of the main Friends, and I think at most only one character who isn't one of the main ones. So the entire unique population of Heartlake City is very small... at least so far. Which brings me back to my point about Disney Princesses... unless the princesses cross from one world to another and visit each other, they all live in very lonely places, at least so far.

I guess I figure that minidolls are more expensive than minifigs for them to make. SO yes. They are not equivalently populating the sets. Given.

If it doesn't appear in catalogs and isn't shown at toy fairs then 99% of the time it is a merchant exclusive set.

Maybe I missed it but which merchant?

Maybe I missed it but which merchant?

We typically don't know until it releases. Unless the merchant reveals it in their online catalog. It's normally either TRU, Target or Walmart in the US.

Hey guys =]

The new sets arrived in Germany. I bought Andreas Mountain Hut and the Treehouse. Sry for my bad english. XD I will post some pics later.

Is that printed treasure map brand-new for this set? Looks interesting. And that's a good idea you had of putting the squirrel up at the top with one of the flaps open.

The Mountain Hut is a bit of an oddity in how they've set the scene. Almost like a campsite tent or lookout point, but not quite so convincing. What do you make of it?

As for the treehouse, is the laptop hiding somewhere? ;) I'm sure the purple basket is a permanent fixture, but I almost feel like it could topple over to the lower level if there was structural weakness -- which, now that I think about it, could be a quirky play feature in having Mia care for any pretend injuries, but that'd be just a smidge over the line for a Friends set.

Is the flag a printed piece? It's odd that it's not double-sided and the reverse is kept blank. Interesting design choice to keep the rest area at the back rather than separate like the work station (or even attached to it).

I'm curious: Do you have an estimate on the US price for the treehouse? I know the Mountain Hut is $10.