Pandora

2014 Friends Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Can anyone tell me what set 41035 is about.

The Newsvan bring back memories, I look a bit like the old mobilehome from the early 90s.

I'll hope that we'll soon get some better pictures of the rest of the sets.

Can anyone tell me what set 41035 is about.

41035 is a juice bar. Certainly not a staple of every city but still a nice sort of establishment we haven't seen in LEGO Friends (or any LEGO theme, for that matter).

Orange Julius is the only juice bar chain I know from my childhood — it mostly specializes in (really good) fruit-flavored smoothies and can be found in lots of shopping malls. Jamba Juice is a chain that has been gaining popularity in the United States in the past couple decades though. I've never been to one myself.

Edited by Aanchir

41035 is a juice bar. Certainly not a staple of every city but still a nice sort of establishment we haven't seen in LEGO Friends (or any LEGO theme, for that matter).

Orange Julius is the only juice bar chain I know from my childhood — it mostly specializes in (really good) fruit-flavored smoothies and can be found in lots of shopping malls. Jamba Juice is a chain that has been gaining popularity in the United States in the past couple decades though. I've never been to one myself.

Thank you.

It's funny with both a juicebar and a lemonade stand in spring of 2014 serie.

It didn't look familiar to me because, the only juicebarchain I know of here in Denmark, is a place that serve juices with fancy names and where the music is so lou,d that you can't hear what you are thinking.

I can't wait for them especially the lemonade stand

and the beach lifeguard platform

also wonder when they will release the pictures for the heartlake news van

Love that new scooter. Definitely getting Mia. :classic:

Friends animals are not awful. They are girly cute and target a different type of play. Not the kind you raise on the farm and end up on the dinner table.

But is there really any need for the 'anime' eyes and makeup? Surely it would make more sense for Lego to produce animals that would work with both city type sets and the Friends line. This lot look more like inflated / stuffed toys and is a bit condescending to girls, who, in my experience, have always loved the traditional horse as it was. My little sister went mad for the Paradisa horse riding sets when we were kids. They didn't look like inflated toys in drag. And they were City interchangeable.

But is there really any need for the 'anime' eyes and makeup? Surely it would make more sense for Lego to produce animals that would work with both city type sets and the Friends line. This lot look more like inflated / stuffed toys and is a bit condescending to girls, who, in my experience, have always loved the traditional horse as it was. My little sister went mad for the Paradisa horse riding sets when we were kids. They didn't look like inflated toys in drag. And they were City interchangeable.

The anime eyes perform an important function: they keep the design aesthetic for the animals consistent with the design aesthetic for the figures. I appreciate this design choice, for the same reason that my favorite animals for LEGO City, Castle, and Pirates are the ones that have beady printed eyes much like modern-day minifigures. Not sure what makeup you're referring to... most LEGO Friends animals have nothing of the sort, unless you're referring to their eyelashes. And those, I feel, are just another part of the aesthetic.

As for the shape of the LEGO Friends animals, it, too, is consistent with the design of the mini-dolls. Don't get me wrong, I love when the LEGO Friends animals are marginally consistent with LEGO City, like the bunny rabbit, hedgehog, or poodle. I feel like all these would need to fit in with LEGO City is different eye prints. But at the same time, LEGO City and other minifigure-based themes tend to use a more blocky aesthetic for their animals that would look terribly out-of-place next to mini-dolls. I feel like the LEGO Friends horse is one of the worst animals in the theme, what with its massive size and complete lack of posability, but at the same time I don't think LEGO Castle horses would work in LEGO Friends at all. Designing animals to fit the aesthetic of both the LEGO Friends mini-dolls and the classic minifigures would be a formidable challenge, and not necessarily one that would benefit LEGO Friends as a theme.

Hey, Pandora. I am so new to this whole forum thing. Trying to learn more about it, just a little confusing :wacko:

Hard to navigate! But I appreciate the feedback :) Sorry for inconvenience! :sweet:

:grin:

Some really nice stuff here. The Friends designers are just crushing it. Whenever I get aggravated at the monotonous, repetitive sets in the Lego City line, I just pop over to the Friends theme. It's such a breath of fresh air -- fun sets, bright colors, new ideas. A lemonade stand? That's awesome! In 30+ years of Town/City, TLC had never made a lemonade stand before! Why the hell not??

My only tiny, tiny complaint is that crate of what I can only assume is supposed to be limes and lemons. I'm not sure that using the 1x1 cylinder was entirely successful. That would have been a great opportunity to introduce a new mold. Ah well. The printed cookies more than make up for it!!

These are some really nice sets! Just wondering though, is the motorcycle from the lemonade stand a new mold, or an old Fabuland part? It looks like Fabuland based off of how large the area for the feet is, but I really don't know. What do you think? At any rate, I'm looking forward to getting one :drool:

Just wondering though, is the motorcycle from the lemonade stand a new mold, or an old Fabuland part? It looks like Fabuland based off of how large the area for the feet is, but I really don't know. What do you think?

It's a new part for 2014 which will also be making an appearance in the 10243 Parisian Restaurant. The Fabuland scooter looks quite different.

Ooh, the Beach House and the Juice Bar are must-buys for me! I'm also interested in the News Van, but I have to see what it entails more closely before making the purchase decision.

But seriously, yet another stable as the big set? The poor girls of Hearlake must practically live in these stables, since there's only one residential building (and now the beach house) as opposed to the three stables in the city. :tongue:

The anime eyes perform an important function: they keep the design aesthetic for the animals consistent with the design aesthetic for the figures. I appreciate this design choice, for the same reason that my favorite animals for LEGO City, Castle, and Pirates are the ones that have beady printed eyes much like modern-day minifigures. Not sure what makeup you're referring to... most LEGO Friends animals have nothing of the sort, unless you're referring to their eyelashes. And those, I feel, are just another part of the aesthetic.

As for the shape of the LEGO Friends animals, it, too, is consistent with the design of the mini-dolls. Don't get me wrong, I love when the LEGO Friends animals are marginally consistent with LEGO City, like the bunny rabbit, hedgehog, or poodle. I feel like all these would need to fit in with LEGO City is different eye prints. But at the same time, LEGO City and other minifigure-based themes tend to use a more blocky aesthetic for their animals that would look terribly out-of-place next to mini-dolls. I feel like the LEGO Friends horse is one of the worst animals in the theme, what with its massive size and complete lack of posability, but at the same time I don't think LEGO Castle horses would work in LEGO Friends at all. Designing animals to fit the aesthetic of both the LEGO Friends mini-dolls and the classic minifigures would be a formidable challenge, and not necessarily one that would benefit LEGO Friends as a theme.

No, I agree, the absolutely fit in with the doll aesthetic. But I feel that they too are flawed. In the same way as the Toy Story and future Simpsons Lego figs are. They have shaped and defined faces, but the same cup-holder hands as the regular Minifigs. I don't think the designs 'work' across the board. Lego is a blocky product and these details add a grey area that doesn't click.

The lemonade stand is so great; lovely colors, a scooter and the cookies! Nice to see the dolphin in a cheaper set. These €10 sets are my favorites in every series.

The lamb looks like a muppet, my first thought was that it could live in the Big Blue House ;) If the lambs are too cute to put it at minifig farm just turn them around or put their heads in the bushes. I'm waiting eagerly for the bear and tiger. The penguin is excellent.

All the other sets look good even on the prelims. I was a little scared by the sound of the tractor's colors but in the end it doesn't look that bad. The beach house is so cute I want two. Sunshine Ranch in the only set I'm not convinced about, I don't like the purple parts. But I know I'm going to buy it anyway...

I love the new prints on girls' torsos. It's a shame I don't see any boys (except for the news van?).

No, I agree, the absolutely fit in with the doll aesthetic. But I feel that they too are flawed. In the same way as the Toy Story and future Simpsons Lego figs are. They have shaped and defined faces, but the same cup-holder hands as the regular Minifigs. I don't think the designs 'work' across the board. Lego is a blocky product and these details add a grey area that doesn't click.

I agree with you man. I think basic beady eyes look a way cutter than the monstrosities we have now. I love the molds but the printings on many animals seems to be very unfitting for some reason.

I wish the picture was bigger so that I could get a better view of the tiger set.

Edited by kermit

We will see great Accessoires in the new sets:

41035: Ananas (orange head with printing), juice and ice crusher

41027: Cookies and Scooter

41037: new ice cream topping, soundbox for iPhone

41039: return of the white Chicken

41026: strawberries (printed on tile 1x1 round), new green "Top" for plants like carrots

Now that I've seen much better pictures of the sets, anyone need anything? The barn looks much better now...

-Sci

That tiger set is amazing! So many great parts and 3 new moulds. I will be buying quite a few of those.

:classic:

Now that I've seen much better pictures of the sets, anyone need anything? The barn looks much better now...

-Sci

Yeah, do you know how the penguin set looks like? It seems like it has a slide but I am not so sure...

Yeah, do you know how the penguin set looks like? It seems like it has a slide but I am not so sure...

I've seen it, too. It has a little cove, and a straight slide made out of a 2x6 plate and some tiles.

I'll try to build models of all the animal sets in LDD today, if I've got some free time. :classic:

-Sci