Rick

2014 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Looks the same as the former one. http://www.promobricks.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/lego-city-arctic4.jpg You can see the serration in that picture pretty well.

Ah, you're right! Great!

On another note, I'm surprised the hood isn't orange like the jacket, as Graysmith noted above. As well as looking like the hood is part of the jacket, I would assume being highly visible would be important in case of accidents...

I see "City" as meaning "contemporary era, non action" (sure vrooming and zooming around the Arctic and running from polar bears is pretty action-y, but still real world).

Generally yes, Farm was one of the example. It doesn't matter as long as we can get the sets we want. However I'd like to see these subthemes have more things to do with "residence" or "settlements". For the Arctic, there could be some Eskimo cultural things rather than just a expedition team.

I'm just happy there isn't any Fire and Police sets in the summer.

Remember we are still awaiting the announcement of the "Summer Special" release like 60026 Town square and 4207 City Garage, but fingers crossed, hopefully it won't be Police or Fire related

Remember before city was town hence a beach set or the Canyon Creek set can be tied to a local town or very near a city.........but rocket launch pads and polar research bases......not really found with in the limits of city or just out of ? :blush:

Anyway it's only a week or so before Legoworld and we find out what surprises the City designers have install for us. :grin:

I wonder if there will be anything else City, apart from the Aritc Ice Breaker. Wonder if this will have a helipad on it, similar to those on North sea supply vessels. I imagine it will be like a combination of the latest Coastguard boat 60014 and the previous offering 7739 in that it has a helipad on the bow (60014) for either its own small helicopter or that from the Artic Base Camp and a crane on the on the Stern (7739) for lifting supplies on and off!

Remember we are still awaiting the announcement of the "Summer Special" release like 60026 Town square and 4207 City Garage, but fingers crossed, hopefully it won't be Police or Fire related

I wonder if there will be anything else City, apart from the Aritc Ice Breaker. Wonder if this will have a helipad on it, similar to those on North sea supply vessels. I imagine it will be like a combination of the latest Coastguard boat 60014 and the previous offering 7739 in that it has a helipad on the bow (60014) for either its own small helicopter or that from the Artic Base Camp and a crane on the on the Stern (7739) for lifting supplies on and off!

Do we know the ice breaker (which we haven't seen for whatever reason) isn't going to be the special summer release?

My gut feeling the ice breaker will appear at Legoworld like if memory serves me correct the coast guard plane set was featured last year.......plus I hope a surprise city set like town square or parking station.

Generally yes, Farm was one of the example. It doesn't matter as long as we can get the sets we want. However I'd like to see these subthemes have more things to do with "residence" or "settlements". For the Arctic, there could be some Eskimo cultural things rather than just a expedition team.

I expect TLG would like to avoid references to real-world cultures in their in-house themes - after all, LEGOland is a place with no races, nations or religions, open to everybody. Of course, the wild west theme was specific since by definition it takes place in the American (or Canadian) west, but even then, there was no contact between the "whites" and the natives (not to mention the stereotypical/idealized portrayal of the natives). And the Islanders in the pirate theme were a completely fictional culture as an amalgam of Caribbean and Oceanian influences.

Edited by Ardelon

I expect TLG would like to avoid references to real-world cultures in their in-house themes - after all, LEGOland is a place with no races, nations or religions, open to everybody. Of course, the wild west theme was specific since by definition it takes place in the American (or Canadian) west, but even then, there was no contact between the "whites" and the natives (not to mention the stereotypical/idealized portrayal of the natives). And the Islanders in the pirate theme were a completely fictional culture as an amalgam of Caribbean and Oceanian influences.

I think these things can be avoided as long as the cultural elements are generic enough, since we've seen many examples such as CMFs with cultural backgrounds. Winter Village is a generic theme, but maybe it doesn't locate in a place as cold as the Arctic scenes, so a different building style is needed.

Edited by Dorayaki

I see Legos as toys to be played with by those who use their imagination to make whatever kind of world they want. I find it funny when adults are trying to define the limits of how toys can be used. If someone doesn't want to include scientists from cities doing exploration in the arctic that is just as ok as someone who want to do so.

TLG is selling toys not replicas and the only limits on using lego sets are your own imagination.

That being said, I live near a very large city but I still appreciate and enjoy areas far away from myself,,including the arctic.

I see Legos as toys to be played with by those who use their imagination to make whatever kind of world they want. I find it funny when adults are trying to define the limits of how toys can be used. If someone doesn't want to include scientists from cities doing exploration in the arctic that is just as ok as someone who want to do so.

TLG is selling toys not replicas and the only limits on using lego sets are your own imagination.

I see this argument made over and over and over again on Eurobricks whenever somebody dares to criticize a Lego product.I think everybody understands that you can build whatever you want with Lego bricks. That's pretty common knowledge.

You seem to be suggesting that we view Lego's official sets SOLELY as raw materials -- as nothing but piles of spare parts. I think there are some harcdore parts-monkeys that probably do this ("Oooh! Part 36827 in trans-dark-flame-magenta!! Awesome!!"). But most of us view official Lego sets as ... jumping off points. We're hobbyist / collectors, and we view official Lego sets through that lens. Is this set something new or interesting that I've never seen before? Can I build upon it in some way? Is it a neat display piece that will look good on my shelf? Will it allow me to expand my collection in a fun, creative new way?

You seem to be suggesting that we view Lego's official sets SOLELY as raw materials -- as nothing but piles of spare parts. I think there are some harcdore parts-monkeys that probably do this ("Oooh! Part 36827 in trans-dark-flame-magenta!! Awesome!!"). But most of us view official Lego sets as ... jumping off points. We're hobbyist / collectors, and we view official Lego sets through that lens. Is this set something new or interesting that I've never seen before? Can I build upon it in some way? Is it a neat display piece that will look good on my shelf? Will it allow me to expand my collection in a fun, creative new way?

And how was I suggesting that?

Oh that's right i wasn't.

I've realized that despite this being a lego site, one must be very literal otherwise,some people just don't get it.

My response was aimed at the criticism that arctic does not belong in a city theme. My response was to state everyone gets to make their decision. What that has to do with spare parts I have no idea.

Edited by Darth Punk

I use the sets as jumping points. One of these years I will make a small Main Street with some of my own buildings and some heavily modded sets like the Friends shops, the Spider Man office building.

A lot of sets are for parts, but some are for new ideas on how to use the bricks and such.

The Arctic sets don't seem to have a ton of new pieces, the skis are nice and new, but they are still really cool idea.

I'm a diehard City collector, but other than the Huskies, Polar Bear, and a few interesting parts these Arctic sets do nothing for me. I think since most of us have limited space to display our cities, it's hard enough to integrate things like Airports, Harbors, Forrests, Farms, and Mines into our LEGO City, much less an arctic expidition. I could totally see something like this as a stand-alone line like Pharoah's Quest, but as a City subtheme I just don't get it. Especially because it means that we'll have to wait that much longer for something new and original (like a Zoo) or for a reboot of a subtheme that might fit into our City better (Construction, Farm - but even this one some would debate). I think another disadvantage to this line is that these won't stand out on the shelves because we just had an orange and blue subtheme in Coast Guard. I can see many parents vetoing these because they are too similar to what their kids already have a lot of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining too much because quite a while ago I realized that as a lover of City the most I typically have to look forward to each year are the great vehicles and hopefully one awesome TRU exclusive set. The 2014 Great Vehicles were among the best yet and hopefully we'll have one giant non-arctic City exclusive still to come. If not, at least there is an interesting Creator set coming this year.

I too am a diehard city collector or maniac, the Arctic subtheme.....I'll say it again.....this subtheme doesn't go with city at all. As an action subtheme, yes.

Look I study geography many years ago and have an interest in my own state......we have farms just thirty km's from the CBD and once had mining in the 19th century in our foothills, some things not city-ish can work as a city set.

Though now space and polar research.....ah, no.......for some fun Lego could release an ATM set for the polar subtheme.....there are ATM's in Antarctica - serious....... there are two Wells Fargo ATM's. :grin:

Meyerc13 and lightningtiger I completely agree with you- This Arctic subtheme might have been better off as an action theme. My layout has grown to accommodate Farm, Forest, and Space, but even if I had the extra room, Arctic? Um, there's a beach with palm trees right over there- and look! A park with grass and flowers. It just doesn't fit. Don't get me wrong- the sets look great! It's just not really CITY. What this means for me is saving a bit of cash this summer, or use it on the trains.

Meyerc13 and lightningtiger I completely agree with you- This Arctic subtheme might have been better off as an action theme. My layout has grown to accommodate Farm, Forest, and Space, but even if I had the extra room, Arctic? Um, there's a beach with palm trees right over there- and look! A park with grass and flowers. It just doesn't fit. Don't get me wrong- the sets look great! It's just not really CITY. What this means for me is saving a bit of cash this summer, or use it on the trains.

It's probably just a matter of it not actually being very "action-y," either. As others have said, they're kind of just using City for modern, realistic settings. Especially with this summer having Chima and Ultra Agents (and Ninjago? Dunno if there's a summer wave for that) sets on the "action" front. Maybe the reason I'm psyched about these is because I don't have an actual city display, myself. So I don't need them to fit into anything, really. I -can- however, use all those parkas and such for Mr. Freeze goons...

Well, TLG is in a hard spot, because some AFOLs don't like seeing 'yet another Police/Fire station' and yet something different like Arctic is too far out there. They have to make a series of City sets that will appeal to a broad audience, so very specific wishes (e.g. I need a blue bakery for my LEGOpolis) aren't something one should count on TLG making.

For what it's worth, I'm looking forward to the two smaller sets.

Edited by GregoryBrick

Well, TLG is in a hard spot, because some AFOLs don't like seeing 'yet another Police/Fire station' and yet something different like Arctic is too far out there. They have to make a series of City sets that will appeal to a broad audience, so very specific wishes (e.g. I need a blue bakery for my LEGOpolis) aren't something one should count on TLG making.

For what it's worth, I'm looking forward to the two smaller sets.

Well, the broad audience wish to see a full-featured City rather than "yet another", don't they? In the commercial view, you're correct, not all parents can afford more sets when children already bought a police and a fire station. But there should also be some other subthemes running (Trains, Post, city life) and random creative ideas to make a colorful City.

Like others said, Arctic is alittle weird for not being part of a real City, but it's just a small complaint.

Edited by Dorayaki

Honestly, I worry that the TLG designers have run out of ideas. They are trying to fob us serious collectors off with random new themes like Arctic and Mining because they have run out of ideas for Police and Fire - which is the true spirit of City. What's missing from this year is more Fire and Police sets. My collection is now worthless.

Also Coastguard. What a joke. Everyone knows that Cities aren't in the ocean.

Edited by andythenorth

This arctic theme would of been better suited for the winter wave rather than the summer wave of sets although I do think ti will still sell well.

Yeah, the city I live in is next to the Southern Ocean.......cities in the ocean......Atlantis ! :laugh:

Honestly, I worry that the TLG designers have run out of ideas. They are trying to fob us serious collectors off with random new themes like Arctic and Mining because they have run out of ideas for Police and Fire - which is the true spirit of City. What's missing from this year is more Fire and Police sets. My collection is now worthless.

Sarcasm is hard to see on the Internet. Are you trying to be sarcastic? Or ironic?