Rick

2014 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

If my memory serves me correct there was a rumour about two years ago about new dog moulds.....actually I think it was a set of dogs. :blush:

I hope that is true! The most likely next new dog, I would guess are a sheep dog in a set with some sheep :wink: But after that a dachshund is very likely due to there easy recognisable body shape...

No one has considered this yet, but it's a great tie in for the winter village theme every Christmas.......in search of Santa ? :grin:

I hope they find him with all his moulded reindeers :grin:

I think part of the reason we haven't seen LEGO sheep might be that the settings where you expect to see sheep are not as conducive to sets as the settings where you expect to see other farm animals. Cows are frequently associated with barns and pigs with pens, but when I think sheep, I think wide-open pastures. Since LEGO animals are more often than not an accessory to a building kit, not the actual focus of a set, this means there has to be a buildable structure where a sheep would be appropriate but it's deemed more worthwhile to introduce a new animal than to reuse an existing one.

This doesn't mean I never expect to see sheep in a set — you could cram them in a general sort of farm set with no more trouble than any other new farm animal — more easily, in fact, because unlike larger animals like cows, horses, alpacas, etc. they wouldn't need to be pre-assembled from multiple molded sections. I'm just suggesting why they might seem so "late to the party" compared to other common farm animals. Next time there's a full farm sub-theme I think it's incredibly likely that sheep will make an appearance.

200px-0%2C1600%2C160%2C960-41029_alt4.jpg

I wonder if all Friends animals could be directly used in all System sets. We actually already got a System lamb. They have a Friendish style print, but print can be changed if designers think they should do. I kinda appreciate Friends animal playbags because we can use these materials to create a MOC zoo.

Friends focus on pets and riding, while the animals in City are mostly patrol dogs :look: . The other places that have animals are Farm and Zoo, but now both of them don't appear in City, only in Duplo sets.

I'd like to see Friends reintroduce the elephants from Adventurers. If Friends don't do this, we can only wait for another action theme or licensed theme coming with animals.

Edited by Dorayaki

A little question I had earlier that I hope one of you can answer, is the flower shop we're expecting this year a city set or a creator set? Because I think there may have been discussion here, I don't know, I haven't really been keeping up. Anyways, that little glimpse of the train station we saw was great, really hope there's some way I can tie that into the Horizon express. Not that I own HE anyways, though.

A little question I had earlier that I hope one of you can answer, is the flower shop we're expecting this year a city set or a creator set? Because I think there may have been discussion here, I don't know, I haven't really been keeping up.

It isn't a flower shop, but a bike shop. It's a Creator set. :wink:

I wonder if all Friends animals could be directly used in all System sets. We actually already got a System lamb. They have a Friendish style print, but print can be changed if designers think they should do. I kinda appreciate Friends animal playbags because we can use these materials to create a MOC zoo.

Friends focus on pets and riding, while the animals in City are mostly patrol dogs :look: . The other places that have animals are Farm and Zoo, but now both of them don't appear in City, only in Duplo sets.

I'd like to see Friends reintroduce the elephants from Adventurers. If Friends don't do this, we can only wait for another action theme or licensed theme coming with animals.

The Adventurers Elephants are unlikely to show up again. They're based on the old Dinosaur building system which hasn't been used in years, and is not quite stylistically compatible with most modern animals (for instance, their empty stud eyes aren't like any modern animal molds). But I'd appreciate a NEW elephant mold as much as anyone. I wouldn't bet on them appearing in Friends, for sure, since they're extremely blocky even compared to modern horses or sharks from minifig-based themes. Plus, the only large animals we've seen in Friends are the horses. Maybe we'll see a baby elephant at some point, but I don't know about a full-sized one.

Friends animals could sometimes work in system and sometimes not. The lamb, I think, is iffy, since it's a little too rounded and poofy even for modern City animals. The poodle, however, would be wonderful if you gave it more typical black bead eyes (since that style of trim on a poodle is meant to be poofy and frou-frouey. The Friends Dolphin is a bit cartoony, but on the other hand it's not much more rounded than the old dolphin. The penguin could probably work in minifig-based themes, too. And so on and so forth.

Edited by Lyichir

Ah, but it has a different build......flower shop/car repair shop - perhaps a third idea as well......usually there is three ideas with creator sets. :wink:

Ah, but it has a different build......flower shop/car repair shop - perhaps a third idea as well......usually there is three ideas with creator sets. :wink:

I'm not sure on the third build, but the two we know are Bike Shop and Cafe. The picture we have is of the Cafe.

Thanks for that.

I'm not sure on the third build, but the two we know are Bike Shop and Cafe. The picture we have is of the Cafe.

Wait now I'm confused, is the bike shop a re-build of he cafe, or is it a bike shop - cafe that can be rebuild-ed into a flower shop and auto repair? This is gonna be a good year.

We can assume that it's two 16 wide shops each book will cover. :wink:

Plus, the only large animals we've seen in Friends are the horses.

Friends animals could sometimes work in system and sometimes not. The lamb, I think, is iffy, since it's a little too rounded and poofy even for modern City animals. The poodle, however, would be wonderful if you gave it more typical black bead eyes (since that style of trim on a poodle is meant to be poofy and frou-frouey. The Friends Dolphin is a bit cartoony, but on the other hand it's not much more rounded than the old dolphin. The penguin could probably work in minifig-based themes, too. And so on and so forth.

If the rumored Friends Jungle series can be more imaginary, maybe we'll actually see large savanna animals there.

118px-Friendsdog.jpg185px-Newdog.jpg250px-Cmf_scratchen.jpg116px-The_cat.jpg

Friends animals are somewhat different from the typical City animals, just like their human counterparts. Ironically, minidolls are meant to be more realistic than minifigures, but Friends animals look less realistic and somewhat cuter. Actually, as long as both Friends and other System themes introduce different kinds of dogs and cats ( chihuahua, husky, poodle), they can also be put together and considered as different varieties. Oh, I don't think we'll see the Friends version of Dino.

I admit that lamb doesn't look like the typical animaml we expect to see in any Lego Farm, for what you described. Maybe we'll see when its parents appear in Friends.

Edited by Dorayaki

I think part of the reason we haven't seen LEGO sheep might be that the settings where you expect to see sheep are not as conducive to sets as the settings where you expect to see other farm animals. Cows are frequently associated with barns and pigs with pens, but when I think sheep, I think wide-open pastures. Since LEGO animals are more often than not an accessory to a building kit, not the actual focus of a set, this means there has to be a buildable structure where a sheep would be appropriate but it's deemed more worthwhile to introduce a new animal than to reuse an existing one.

This doesn't mean I never expect to see sheep in a set — you could cram them in a general sort of farm set with no more trouble than any other new farm animal — more easily, in fact, because unlike larger animals like cows, horses, alpacas, etc. they wouldn't need to be pre-assembled from multiple molded sections. I'm just suggesting why they might seem so "late to the party" compared to other common farm animals. Next time there's a full farm sub-theme I think it's incredibly likely that sheep will make an appearance.

You are probably right, but If Lego wanted to include sheep in a set they would have no problems making some buildable stuff to go with it. The other farm animals were also very “late to the party” as well except the horse off course.

I believe Lego have understood that we want more animal moulds, but they are releasing them in a slow rate to save money and have us eagerly awaiting the next mould :sceptic:

Take the goat for instance; they could have easily released a sheep instead. But in the period before the goat came out, several great moc’s with brick built goats were made. So maybe they wanted to surprise us, because I guess they pay rather close attention to what AFOL’s are doing. Do not get me wrong, I preferred the goat over sheep, because I think it is more likely with a sheep in the future than the other way around :wink:

We can only hope for a quick return of the farm subtheme!

A another matter is molded reindeers with Santa in the winter village series, that is a excellent opportunity I can not believe they have not used yet :wacko:

TLC have no problems inventing new animals in Friends, so it's not a technical problem, but prodcut design. If there wasn't a Friendish lamb, another chance is a CMF shepherd coming with a lamb, but blind bags can't include a full-size sheep. After all Farm isn't what TLC care about. We can only see if more tropical or arctic animals will be in the next wave.

TLC have no problems inventing new animals in Friends, so it's not a technical problem, but prodcut design. If there wasn't a Friendish lamb, another chance is a CMF shepherd coming with a lamb, but blind bags can't include a full-size sheep. After all Farm isn't what TLC care about. We can only see if more tropical or arctic animals will be in the next wave.

To me the friends lamb and other friends animals are as useless as duplo ones.

That is too bad because earlier series aimed at girls, have brought us animals we can use like the foal (I see some wrongly call it a pony) for instance.

TLC care about what the customers want, if we make it clear we want more animal moulds, they will give it too us :tongue:

It seems husky and polarbear (white bear) are confirmed.

Yes, you are right and that was a nice surprise from TLC :wink:

Honestly, I'm not sure about what Arctic means. If we're talknig about an "arctic town/city", the answer would be Winter Village or some real-world cities like Norilsk. But so far what the leaked pics show is scientific expedition team or something. So there won't be an Arctic Police Station even if TLC want to do.

It seems husky and polarbear (white bear) are confirmed.

There have been polar bears, but this leaked one reuses the mold introduced in Forest Police which have wider waistline. I'm not sure of the huskies.

To me the friends lamb and other friends animals are as useless as duplo ones.

That is too bad because earlier series aimed at girls, have brought us animals we can use like the foal (I see some wrongly call it a pony) for instance.

As Lyichir said, some Friends original animals (regardless of the cats and dogs mentioned above) do have a good compatibility with normal System sets. I don't think they're useless.

Duplo ironically make Zoo and Safari sets that System don't do. Actually there are some large animals (giraffe, elephants) that look very reasonable when being put with minifigures, though they're not based on the System scale.

Edited by Dorayaki

Wow, I can't believe they made a ball 'n chain piece! I love Lego town, so I'll be sure to pick up some of these new sets when they come out! They'll be an awesome addition to my current collection. Also, I love the new vests on the criminals. very cool. I wish they would make more buildings like they used to though. I remember they used to have pizza shops and metro stations, but it seems like mostly vehicles nowadays, which is okay, but not the same. The only buildings they have are large and prohibitively expensive.

Honestly, I'm not sure about what Arctic means. If we're talknig about an "arctic town/city", the answer would be Winter Village or some real-world cities like Norilsk. But so far what the leaked pics show is scientific expedition team or something. So there won't be an Arctic Police Station even if TLC want to do.

Forget Police. I still want my Kurt Russel minifig... but hey! We're getting a new dog. So we're halfway there.

There is a few new polybag sets which I don't recall being talked about on here over the past 36 pages of post which have now appeared over at Brickset,

http://www.brickset.com/browse/years/?year=2014&Theme=City

I'm liking this little Genie boom lift they are making, it's been something I've been thinking of for a while. Shame they did not make it in Blue.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=30229-1

The Jet Ski set is also a nice poly bag,

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=30227-1

No mention yet of the airline promo item for 2014?

Saw the images last week, neat little cherry picker......but the police chasing a guy in a crate and the officer is on a jet ski ? :look:

That crook must be some strong and fast rower eh ? :laugh:

I really hope you are right! I usually do not buy the non exclusive train sets, but if the train wagons are full with cows, then I most likely will buy it :tongue:

Do you know how many cows the set will have?

Just one.

Wow! That looks amazing! They're redoing the arctic theme? Finally, lego huskies! This is great news! I don't care how expensive the set with the huskies is, I have to get it! (although I hope they come in one of the smallest sets, just in case.) I loved this theme when it first came out. This is so nostalgic. And it looks like they're doing it right too, unlike they did with power miners.

Just one.

Thanks for answering!

That was a disappointment :sadnew: I was hoping for four, realistically two, but one is a lot better than none..

Is it a “new” cow or just the brown one with “lone ranger horns”?