Rick

2014 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I'm impressed by the new Arctic sets, though I still say how do these fit in my city....set far away from any polar action ? :tongue:

I'm impressed by the new Arctic sets, though I still say how do these fit in my city....set far away from any polar action ? :tongue:

what about fitting it to the winter village series? :sceptic:

These arctic sets look pretty impressive. But what is that orange color? Is it "forest firemen" orange or the the slightly darker "coast guard" orange? (Im not good with official color names...)

Edited by Ardelon

what about fitting it to the winter village series? :sceptic:

Maybe, since it's in a snow covered region where the village is set so it's where the team has it's main HQ or supply point ?

Sounds like a lot of MOC's might head in that direction......maybe ? :wink:

Those Arctic sets are all really nice. The skycrane's pretty cool, and smaller than I expected. With the addition of the dogsled I think I'll have to pick that one up.

And all the others...

Polar vortex?

An erickson skycrane for my fire dept :sweet:

Is that a new door on the trailer of 60035 (the semi)? - At a second look, I think it is just a sticker that was making the door look more 3 dimensional than it is.

Edited by meyerc13

I also don't see the need for a new parka mold...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the parka is as old as 2011 (or older), as seen in 7879.

EDIT: It would seem you're right, the "Han version's" hood is more ribbed than the more classic-fur texture of the new parka. Strange choice indeed.

Edited by Apollo

I'm looking at the hi-res pictures and I noticed an antenna on the cargo loader rig's control shed has a flat top on it, not the old school rounded top. :wink:

Plus we get two females in the train station set.......only if they did a proper female torso for the female railway controller eh ? :look:

I'll be getting one or two of the larger sets this year; that was my son's New Year's resolution!

Looking at more enlarged pics of the Artic theme 60036, its amazing the slight changes you notice from the prelim images (which I suppose goes for a lot of models). The crawler vehicle has different roof mounted spotlights plus on the prelim box art, you can clearly see 8 minifig's, but on the box at the show, there are only 6 in view and given that the small helicopter is missing in the shot then it would have 7 minifig's, with the figure on the crawler vehicles crane missing. But then in the scene shot there are 8 fig's with a minifig beside the crawler vehicle. Plus I like the ice axes. Shame they hadn't been used with the CMF mountaineer instead of the road pick axe

O yes! Arctic returns!

I loved the old theme, I'm definitely going to spend my money on this one :wink: .

Anyone here read Danish thriller Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow? The translucent meteors reminded me of that. Unintentionally, I've no doubt - the book isn't especially child-friendly!

As for the sets themselves, I've a deep love of the colour orange. I sometimes buy random pieces on Bricklink simply because they're orange, with no thought of where I can use them, so I may have to forego Ninja City for these... but it's a hard choice. I also love ninjas.

Look closely at many of Lego's own theme's and you can see some inspiration from books, etc., not really aimed towards children.....even the Lego Movie is a children friendly version of 1984.

So perhaps the designers might have read that book to gain a little insight or something. :blush:

It's so great to see qood quality pictures of the new arctic sets, I'm so glad that theme coming back. The sets are very neat looking with some great vehicles and a few new parts. I like the truck the best but the HQ looks great as well. Thanks for the pics CM4S!

Don't really care for the arctic theme - wouldn't know how to fit it in with my town - but 60035 is interesting in that it could provide me with a lot of parts that can be used for municipal vehicles...

Look closely at many of Lego's own theme's and you can see some inspiration from books, etc., not really aimed towards children.....even the Lego Movie is a children friendly version of 1984.

So perhaps the designers might have read that book to gain a little insight or something. :blush:

I think any successful cartoon or movie for children usually have references that only adults would,get. Sponge bob is a great example, an amused adult is more likely to let their children watch it. Scooby doo is another classic example.

The sets look great and I also like the color orange. I have several of the older arctic sets and look forward to expanding my winter mantel scene that the kids love.

Edited by Darth Punk

Love the new Artic sets. Can't wait. I missed out on the old series. Love the colors. The new trains look good too.

Glad to see a mix of the old and new in the arctic sets, with the return of some more classic pieces like the pick axe, snowshoes and the general feel of the sets is the same. I wonder if the old style backpacks fit with these new parkas...i've never really tried with the ones I have at home

Oh! I really like those Arctic sets - they look like a fun new reboot of the old Arctic theme, which was very fun itself.

Those Arctic sets are beautiful. I want those huskies. That Cargo copter, moded with wheels, is a must! I love that huge truck with the wheels too. I'm gonna be so poor this year.

AND! The polar bear has made a come back. I'm gonna throw some CMF Yetis in there too.

Finally some great res images for Arctic, only we're still missing the one I and all other fellow ship enthusiasts are waiting on...the icebreaker?