Rick

2014 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I think it might have been because they used real brand names.

Or that they put it in the too hard basket.......but let's not scoot off topic eh ? :blush:

*sigh* MORE police? Yawn. They really need some more ideas. They could ask me to do it. A nice job. Thinking of things they can't. Yes...

Umm, anyways, I love the car transporter and logging truck!

The LEGO Group can and probably does think of all KINDS of ideas for LEGO City. But Fire and Police are the two that have enough proven success to feature in every new year of sets, whereas other ideas like Farm, Coast Guard, Construction, Mining, Cargo, etc. tend to be on more of a three– to five-year cycle, depending on how much success they have.

As long as Fire and Police sets continue to sell better than any other LEGO City subthemes, they will continue to be a ubiquitous presence in each year's catalog of sets. And I don't foresee that changing at any point in the near future. Obviously, no matter how tired the AFOL community is getting of Fire and Police, someone is out there buying new Fire and Police sets each wave.

The best chance of seeing greater diversity in LEGO City is to do away with the concept of each wave "focusing" on one or more subthemes. So you might get a police station one wave, but no police cars or helicopters, or you might get a hospital, but no ambulance. This is not far from what is currently happening with the Great Vehicles sets, which are pretty much independent of the other sets each year.

Unfortunately, there's a fatal flaw to this mode of thinking: kids love when there are multiple sets in the catalog that "go together". A kid who has a fire truck will want to buy a fire station for it to report back to. A kid who has an airplane will want an airport or air control tower to go with it. The smaller sets help drive the sales of the larger, "flagship" sets from the same subtheme. So while having a real variety each year is possible with smaller sets like the Great Vehicles, generally the larger sets sell better when there is a wide selection of corresponding sets to meet a diverse range of price points.

Edited by Aanchir

This year we have also another bunch of vehicles from LEGO the Movie.

My cops, maybe will be without doughnuts for another year but at least this year they are going to be able to buy some octan branded ice creams.

I just realized today: Lego has returned to their $9.99 price range! :cry_happy:

I couldn't believe it when I saw the Light Repair Truck was $9.99.

Anyone else surprised by this? I doesn't look like they used more uncommon pieces, so why would they be lowering prices?

Edited by Lego Spy

I just realized today: Lego has returned to their $9.99 price range! :cry_happy:

Anyone else surprised by this? I doesn't look like they used more uncommon pieces, so why would they be lowering prices?

I saw that the Wheeljack Race car was $10.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I just saw the products page for LEGO City at TLG's website and saw that the new 2014 sets have been released. So I looked at the police section but the new police station wasn't shown, only the rest. Is the police sets coming in one wave or more than one?

Lowering prices? The sets that are now available in the shops over here are at the same pricepoint as similar sized sets from last year...

Re the neverending "why more police" discussion: I'm conviced that it's just smart business having these sets and renewing the line quite frequently. However: some imagination within the theme would be well appreciated. We're seeing the same sets over and over again. I wouldn't be surprised if parents decide not to buy sets from the new line simply because they bought a similar set this or last year. Yes, they did experiment with the forest police range (which I've got a feeling didn't do that well), but there must also be more variations possible in the "classic" police range.

Edited by jfbat

Lowering prices? The sets that are now available in the shops over here are at the same pricepoint as similar sized sets from last year...

Well, here in the USA at least, it seems that the smaller ranged sets (70-100 pieces) have gone from $9.99 (around 2008-2009 were some of the last ones I saw), to about $12.99 for most of the recent sets. But it seems with these new city sets, several of them are $9.99, so it seems like they lowered their prices somewhat, but maybe it's just me. :sceptic:

Edited by Lego Spy

We're on different continents, so that might explain it. Sets that cost around 21 euro this year stlll cost that next year...

Got the Logging Truck, and the Race Car in the mail the other day. Really like both of them, but I think I'll have to mod the logging truck to accept bigger tires. The stock model simply looks funny with the small tires. The race car is most excellent all around.

Oh yeah! The Logging Truck introduced a part that is new to me. It's a 3x3 plate in dark bluish gray. I hope to see more of them!

I bought the new semi tow truck from TRU and its awesome! They so better come out with a truck stop soon

I agree and the wrecker is my favourite of this release. I plan to get another set just to deck it out in Red. While some people say that it's too long or too North American it's just how it is. The wreckers here in North America need to be longer because the trucks over here are longer, more powerful, and haul longer distances than the ones in Europe. The orange wrecker in the garage a couple years ago is something you'd see towing a delivery truck and not out on the highway.

A few pictures of some of these new pieces from the 2014 sets, they might not be new to everyone, but they are new to me. The most useful piece I think will be this new 2 x 2 round tile with a hole in it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Weird... The second and fourth parts aren't new, but that 3x3 plate, has that ever been in a set before? And I don't even know what to call the first one... :wink:

Yeahthe 3x3 is a 2013 part :) It was in Fire helicopter for example.

Yeah, I thought it might. It seemed somewhat likely. :classic:

I just bought the new Prisoner Transport set today from Toys R Us in Chester. Very nice set, but I'm going to mock it into a security / cash transport van. There were a few new sets there. I was surprised to see them on the shelves already.

Made a brief review of 60053, I have 60056 Tow Truck and 60059 Log Truck coming up as well as Heartlake High, and by all means those will be more involved and intuitive reviews. My thoughts were: it's a nice set to have and display, sleek car but too wide.

Edited by brickbuilder711

Made a brief review of 60053, I have 60056 Tow Truck and 60059 Log Truck coming up as well as Heartlake High, and by all means those will be more involved and intuitive reviews. My thoughts were: it's a nice set to have and display, sleek car but too wide.

Agree, it is a stunning car and will having my copy sitting on my work desk!

Just went into Birmingham City centre, UK. I went to WHS, and they had six of the monster truck, and one of the Police bike, Prison Van, and Race Car. I bought the Race Car, no pictures as I don't have a usable camera, and I've just built it. It's fantastic, it cost £7.99, knowing WHS its a £1 mark-up. Item number on the bottom of the box is 6056695.

Out shopping today and yesterday, I saw a lot of the new sets at Walmart and Target. If pics are needed, I can share them.

-Sci