Rick

2014 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

There you go; set 60041. There's printing on the cop's back. And 5 extra pieces, one of which is an extra wheel.

Thank you forsharing, now it is a must have.

Might buy more than one of this set.

There you go; set 60041. There's printing on the cop's back. And 5 extra pieces, one of which is an extra wheel.

Thanks! It's a cute set... Based on the other sets like that with that box size, it will be $7 in the United States... Eh, there's not much going on there, so I'm a bit iffy.

Thanks! It's a cute set... Based on the other sets like that with that box size, it will be $7 in the United States... Eh, there's not much going on there, so I'm a bit iffy.

I'm no City collector myself, but the vehicles make an exception – they work well with the Modulars. I have MOCed two 7498 Police Stations into one modular police station, so the motorcycle will fit in well. I've got to admit, though, that the primary reason I bought it was that it surprised me to see it so early on. I wish they'd be selling the LEGO Movie Ice Cream Truck and the Friends Juice Bar already...

Thanks for the image 'finnbricker', could you post an image of the police officer on his own ? :wink:

A neat little set......I like it :grin: .....now to wait till they make it to Oz.......in a few months ! :cry_sad:

I like the fire engine! Some moding of the front windshild and it will look amazing!

Let us hope that things follow last year where I spotted 2013 City sets in Australia just after xmas 2012 :)

Is there an empty space between the two glass pieces in the airport fire truck. I zoomed in on it in the picture but I still cant figure out if there are 3 windscreen pieces or just two.

Two pieces, no gap. See here.

On 13.11.2013 at 2:46 PM, lightningtiger said:

Thanks for the image 'finnbricker', could you post an image of the police officer on his own ? :wink:

Front view of the minifigs in set 60041.

Now the system says I have a 6K upload limit so no back pic :(

Edited by finnbricker
remove pic

These are nice - I like the design of the cars. I never end up buying city sets, however - unless they are on some extreme sale - but I have to say I'm very happy with the design of these this year. I may pick up some of the cheaper crook/cop chase sets.

At least the motorcycle officer looks cool in his new uniform.....a change from black......funny our state police force have gone to black for their uniforms now.

The only thing from the Policetheme that sounds good is the Motorcycle chase, but the rest sounds like meeehhh.. but it might surprise me.

But the camper with canoe and the repair car sounds very interesting.

I hear ya - female baddy? I'm in! Any set with a female minifig that isn't 'smiling' makes my heart soar. I'm definitely keen for the canoe set and love the 'rescue' sets. It's a shame the way City has become so 'rough' - and kids know it too. Yesterday, my 5yo took her 'Lego family' (a mix of minidolls, minifigs and duplo people) to a baseball game - but 'Dad' (police minifig) had to stay home cause he was "too grumpy to be fun." Ha!

I think the criminals could use some updating. Some new hats, etc. And more female criminals would be good too.

Also, does anyone else remember baseball caps with a ponytail at the back? I swear I had one as a kid - she came in some sports set - but it was really useful to make female minifigs into anything, really - cops, firefighters, crims etc.

I decided to LDD the cherry picker unit on the light repair truck......who ever the designer of it at Lego is a genius.....it works perfectly and operates more to real life than the 2010 model. :grin:

Like the use of dark grey chair pieces on the boat trailer on 60045 Police Patrol, and the new police station looks like a good candidate for modding in to a modular-style building for my town.

Edited by BricksMcgee

LOVE the logging truck, and oddly enough for me, the new race car. I just wish LEGO would build their trucks with bigger wheels. Especially when they seem to put the same size wheels/tires on a lot of cars.

I have to say that I'm disappointed with the majority of these sets compared to previous years. Few new ideas and inferior versions of previous equivalent models. I guess it means that 2014 is so far looking like a cheap year for me. Here's my thoughts set by set:

60041 Crook Pursuit

Nothing except the policeman new here. At a glance would struggle to distinguish it from the last couple of police bike sets.

60042 High Speed Police Chase

As above. The car is almost exactly the same as the forest police car but in plain white.

60043 Prisoner Transporter

The vehicle is too American looking for my liking. Looks more like an armoured car from the 1980s.

60044 Mobile Police Unit

Really don't like any of the artic police units. TO big, too unwieldy and just not realistic.

60045 Police Patrol

Too big for City. They did the same with the off road fire truck and coat a couple of years ago. Simply too big to be of any use except a parts pack.

60046 Helicopter Surveillance

The new helicopters have some nice details but like the previous set are too big if you want to encompass them with layouts of a reasonable size.

60047 Police Station

This just looks uncohesive and messy. The last two police stations were too similar to each other but this one is just a mess. Disjointed bits of building that don't look like they should be together. Not enough cop minifigs in it either. Probably the most disappointing of the wave.

60053 Race Car

I quite like the look of this and as long as the price is sensible will probably get one. Not a huge fan of racing cars normally but liked this year's F1 car and this Le Mans-ish racer too.

60054 Light Repair Truck

This is again just average. Truck design is "meh" and the lift just looks like an excuse to stick some Technic parts in. It will be cheap but it really is a lazy effort.

60056 Tow Truck

Again too American for my taste and looks too long for it's role. The truck from the garage a few years back was a much better proportion. I do like the colours though.

60057 Camper Van

Hard to distinguish from the last camper. Has a different nose on the van which makes it look a bit more modern but the rest of it is just same-old...

60058 SUV with Watercraft

This I though had potential until I saw it. This is a scruffy , ugly looking little SUV. Compare it to the great looking black SUV from the horse box a few years ago and I wonder what they were trying to do here? Just looks plain bad. And why the big wheels? Bigger wheels than any of the trucks in the same wave... Jet skis are OK but that's all.

60059 Logging Truck

I actually like this one and it is on my list to get next when out. Good balanced design and some nice - and different - features.

60060 Auto Transporter

As with the logging truck this is another good one. Could do with a couple of extra axles and will do something with the ladders on the top deck to make them move but overall a nice design and at least it's original too!

60061 Airport Firetruck

Just too big again! 8-wide and very long. As with the giant helicopters and planes what are you supposed to do with these in the average town layout? Probably a good size for kinds to play with but disappointing for me I'm afraid.

Cheers

Rog

Just too big again! 8-wide and very long. As with the giant helicopters and planes what are you supposed to do with these in the average town layout? Probably a good size for kids to play with but disappointing for me I'm afraid.

Cheers

Rog

That's what you have to remember. These sets are aimed at kids. not AFOL. We are the after thought and quite frankly, should be when it comes to city sets. This is the reason we get so many police, fire, and construction year after year. Don't get me wrong, i get what your saying and understand your points, but the wants of the average AFOL usually don't correspond to the target audience.

For me, most of these look great except for the mobile command unit. Looks almost identical to the last one. same cab style and the trailer is just a box on wheels. NO thanks.

Police patrol looks great. Love the truck and how they incorporated "dually" style rear fenders. Something I've never seen TLC do before. Might have to try and moc this as a

6 wide vehicle with the fenders making it 8 as 4, to 6 wide might look to small behind the police boat in tow.

Helicopter surveillance also look really good. I love big helicopters as i like piling in tools, equipment, vehicles, men, etc in my helicopters. Sliding door is a nice touch.

Airport firetruck is nice. Would have liked a bit more ground clearance. and a working suspension, but overall its a good design.

It's also important to remember is that we are mostly AFOL's here who build different from what's on the box .......try and look at it from this point of view,.....Does that set contain useful parts or structural/vehicle sections one could adapt ?

Take the police station in this case, could not the right hand side of it make a great office block, post office or bank ?

Also just because a set is a police semi-trailer....you could make it into a chiller truck to carry fruit or dairy and the rest of the gear in that set....part of depot office perhaps for said fruit or dairy ? :wink:

Take off the blinkers, open one's mind and let your imagination go wild ! :grin:

Understand everything you're saying and completely agree but just can't remember the last time a City wave was so lacklustre or that there was so few sets I was interested in.

Don't have a problem with police and fire waves again and again - the majority of my sets are one or the other - it's the lack of originality in the designs that's disappointing this time.

LT - Even with a smiley face I think the patronisation was unnecessary. This is an AFOL forum and discussion on sets should therefore be from an AFOL point of view...

Cheers

Rog

I didn't mean to upset you 'rriggs', my point was with the negativity about some of the 2014 sets isn't needed and an open mind lets one see potential to create something different or just better than what Lego's designers have done.

I for one am relieved that next years City stuff is all same old same old, there are only a few of the vehicle sets I will be getting and this gives me a chance to catch up and buy a few modular buildings I'm still missing.

Edited by Ajax

Airport crash/fire/rescue trucks in real life are MUCH bigger and wider than city firetrucks. There is nothing unrealistic about Lego accurately replicating that fact.

They may be harder to "fit into a layout," but the fact is that the larger airplanes, helicopters and road vehicles that we're seeing today are much *more* detailed, true-to-life and accurately-scaled models than anything ever seen before in factory-sold Lego kits. I never liked the tiny single-seat bubble helicopters which are neither remotely realistic in a modern setting nor useful for much of anything, and the days of the single-row-of-seating airliners are thankfully long gone. What we have today are models exponentially better in every way.

Edited by polarscribe

So in other words "like it or be lucky they make sets to begin with"? Has anyone talked to a 10 year old collector? I have and here are the results when shown the new sets. Police Station: "I just got a police station". Race Car - "where does he race?" "Who is he racing?" Other Police sets - "I have all of those". Light Truck - "I have that too". Only things of interest are the Logging Truck and the Car Transport. So this kid has basically new City sets to add because he "has them all". The Coast Guard line did nothing for him as well as the Lego City is "all Police and Fire." Why is the answer always basically "buy a tub of bricks and build something yourself if you don't like it"?