Rick

2014 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

So basically the S9 Police cap in blue. I like that idea. The police officers look nice this year.

-Sci

Now we can not half tell that old US TV cop shops have in part inspired at least the police uniforms.....and maybe the vehicles ? :blush:

They vary much look like USA TV cops. Love the hat. However I still wish they would change the theme up, like Coast Guard police or something. Like they did with the forest ranger / fire themes. Those were fun, and I loved the uniforms.

Anyone else think Lego needs to release a new wheel design? The balloon tires that came out around, what? 1992, ' 93? They look WAY too chunky on cars. They need something that is the same height but is much thinner in width, with a thinner tire allowing for a taller rim. Because at the moment you have cars and lorries with the same wheels, which just looks odd.

Totally agree.

But hey, looks like we have a new wheel design in 60060. Or at least its new for me. Seems like its attached by a cross-axe or something like it.

lww9.png

But even before TLG already have these kind of wheel, just look at 4207 "City Garage" from 2012 and 7642 "Garage" from 2009:

4207_alt3.jpg

7642-0000-xx-33-1.jpg

What I didn't get though is why designers insist using the bulky wheels on small 4 studs cars....

Edited by fabiano

But hey, looks like we have a new wheel design in 60060. Or at least its new for me. Seems like its attached by a cross-axe or something like it.

It's used in a couple of 2013 sets. There's a discussion topic about it here.

I find these police sets a bit lacking. Most of them look like repeats but badly edited. I can safely say that I can save my money when it comes to these sets. the only good I can see i them are all the brick-bricks.

I just noticed something. In the photo below, it highlights the wheel cut out on the trailer, and I'm wondering how does the car park on that without interfering with the trucks wheels? Is it something I'm not noticing, or is that a design flaw? :shrug_confused:

lww9.png

I just noticed something. In the photo below, it highlights the wheel cut out on the trailer, and I'm wondering how does the car park on that without interfering with the trucks wheels? Is it something I'm not noticing, or is that a design flaw? :shrug_confused:

lww9.png

The car wheels will not sit over the trailer wheels when parked. Actually this is a very common design for some flat bed trailers:

1327326207_237946573_3-CARRETA-PRANCHA-DE-3-EIXOS-KRONE-ANO-98-Caminhoes-Veiculos-comerciais.jpg

Edited by fabiano

The car wheels will not sit over the trailer wheels when parked. Actually this is a very common design for some flat bed trailers:

1327326207_237946573_3-CARRETA-PRANCHA-DE-3-EIXOS-KRONE-ANO-98-Caminhoes-Veiculos-comerciais.jpg

Oh, thanks. Guess I've just never seen a auto transporter up close before.

I like the 60048 the retro van is wonderful and the price is reasonable ($30). I think that I'm surely going to buy it.

I like some elements of the 60046 but not the helicopter nor the price ($60). I think that I'm going to try to reproduce it with my bricks and some bricklink buys.

lww9.png

Also - the car is 4-wide, the truck is 6 (granted, the cars wheels stick out past the studs)

Oh, thanks. Guess I've just never seen a auto transporter up close before.

That trailer is just a goose neck flat-bed or low-boy. Generally used for large to oversized loads. Car carrier trailers normally don't have open wheels like in the new model. This one may take a little modifying to get it covered without making the car sit a too high of an incline. Really looking forward to this set :classic:

Totally agree.

lww9.png

[...]

What I didn't get though is why designers insist using the bulky wheels on small 4 studs cars....

Indeed thinner wheels look much better on small cars.

And unfortunately here in the final set the car has the same tyres as the truck:

http://www.1000stein...ges/60060-1.jpg (very big image from http://www.brickset....il/?Set=60060-1 hence the link-only)

Edited by antp

Oh, man......those oversize wheels again ! :hmpf_bad:

Look, Lego if you are going to use those wide tyres on simple cars then pick a slightly large tyre for a truck. :look:

Though a positive from that set is new torsos.....I was getting a little sick of the old mechanic or Octan overall torso.

Edit - Actually looking much closer at the top deck of the car transporter I see why has opt for the wide wheels - it will sit perfectly in the grooves on top.....note the other imagine from the instruction booklets show both cars on the upper decks of the transporter.

Edit No. 2 - I've been able to resize that image of the car transporter.

60060-1_resized.jpg

Edited by lightningtiger

Liking the car transporter even more now, the fig is great, as is the clipboard tile and its great to get another set of blue wheel arches and blue car doors :)

Edit - Actually looking much closer at the top deck of the car transporter I see why has opt for the wide wheels - it will sit perfectly in the grooves on top.....note the other imagine from the instruction booklets show both cars on the upper decks of the transporter.

It looks like the cars on the top deck of the car transporter are fixed by those yellow hooks (which fit behind the car bumpers).

It looks like the cars on the top deck of the car transporter are fixed by those yellow hooks (which fit behind the car bumpers).

Well that will stop the vehicles rolling back, but that means you have to lift them over the pins to back them off the ramps ? :sceptic:

Oh, well for the price what can we expect......improvements will be left to us AFOL's right ? :wink:

See this is why I love Lego! The first image in the preliminary image and the second one in the finished image (as seen in Lightning Tigers comment) You can see how they changed things. Smaller tires on the black car to wider tires. They removed the bowed slope on both cars in the trunk section. They also changed the upper and lower parts of the trailers. Removed a Octan gas tank and added a brace for the axle on the front trailer. I'm wondering though which piece they used to connect the trailers? I have my suspicions. :grin: (Hopefully its not an issue posting this image?)

10627429124_8e1e9a47cc.jpg

Edited by Wodanis
Removed image marked "confidential"

(Hopefully its not an issue posting this image?)

At least until TLG releases the images for the 2014 sets, we don't allow images stamped "confidential" to be embedded.

Indeed thinner wheels look much better on small cars.

And unfortunately here in the final set the car has the same tyres as the truck:

http://www.1000stein...ges/60060-1.jpg (very big image from http://www.brickset....il/?Set=60060-1 hence the link-only)

Oh my gosh, they simply ruined this set for me :hmpf_bad:

Seems like I'll need to replace the wheels myself... I was thinking about bricklink a lot of those new wheels to replace the bulky ones on all my lego cars, anyway...

Dam, price point crap again :hmpf_bad: .....look at what they did to the rear ends of those cars.....got rid of the curves and replaced with tiles. They look a little incomplete now, actually they made quite a few changes.......I wonder about the other sets ? :look:

Time for a close look again at that fuzzy overview images again to spot the differences. :wink:

At least until TLG releases the images for the 2014 sets, we don't allow images stamped "confidential" to be embedded.

But the non-confidential pic is there, so the preliminary one isn't really confidential anymore (and there will never be a non-confidential version of that pic, since it was not the final model)