Blueberry Jam

Any Doctor Who Fans?

Watcha,

I thought I'd get started and show you all my current project.

http://www.flickr.co...N04/9489870472/

I think the full-size image would've been beyond the forum image limits, so here's the link.

Anyway, here are designs for the 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th Doctors. If anybody would be good enough to print them and show me what they look like on the actual legomen, that'd be wonderful (and seriously help with future proportioning if I'm way off) - I sadly don't have the time or know how to make what I draw into something physical, but hopefully these and any future designs are good enough to make up for the lack of actual building you're going to see from me.

If you have any criticisms, suggestions for improvements and so on, lay them on me, and if there's a specific Doctor you want next, I'll bump them up the list for you.

Later, Eurobrickers. :classic:

Your designs are great. You've really captured the appearance and facial features of the individual doctors. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks to you both. Anything you'd change? - Anyway, to the Commodore, four is in fact next on my list, and to Teessider, there's definitely more on the way!

Excellent work.Though I think the white specks in the eyes need to be bigger. Lego have been putting quite large light reflections in the eyes which avoids the characters having dead looking eyes or slightly evil gazes. The size you have them now would probably not even register when printed to scale. Black ink bleed and so on. Make the white dot about a quarter of the overall eye size and it should look ok when printed. That's my only recommendation / critique. :thumbup:

They look fantastic, absolutely fantastic! :laugh:

I think Eleven's cheeckbones are a bit too long and thin, though, without the nose it looks a bit wrong. I think they should either be thicker or not reach so far down. Other than that they're the best Doctor Who decals I've ever seen!

EDIT: Looking at it again, I think it's the lines around the eyes that are bothering me. It makes the face look too human-like, rather than minifig-like. I think your first draft is better in this regard.

Edited by KingPixels

Yes! Faces are particularly tricky when it comes to creating the look of the character, and keeping it design specific to lego. I just keep adding and taking away as part of my process anyway, so that I'm always innovating and never fall back on a design principle that could work for one thing but be horribly flawed for everything else. I'll keep editing and show you as soon as the fourth Doctor has reached a suitable level of completion. Thanks for all the feedback!

I don't think double posting is against the rules here (I sure hope it isn't). I thought I'd update because the ever colourful sixth Doctor has joined the roster. I was intending to do four, but I just couldn't resist the coat! As a side note, I've made various adjustments to the other four Doctors based on suggestions made here. I appreciate all the feedback, hopefully the fine tuning has pressed out any wrinkles, but please keep laying your thoughts on me! Anyway, without further ado: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34166136@N04/9583956937/

This is very good ! I think Eight's coat could be darker, but beside that, this is very good. Could you do Eleven's first costume (with the tweed jacket) ? Also, I really like Seven's face, this is very faithful to Sylvester McCoy's face. I think this is the most recognizable face, among your six doctors.

I think McGann once said that the Doctor is really a hair role. My hope is that with the right hair, they'll feel and look like their Doctor. I've tried deconstructing faces by drawing in the shape and all the human features minifigs don't have, like noses and jawlines, and then removing them piece by piece to try and figure out how significant those pieces are to the individual's face. I think McCoy is all in his smile and eyes, appearing to always be planning something. McGann has this impossible youthful beauty (even now in his 50s), and his Doctor is very bouncy, very romantic about life - he always looks like pensive and peaceful, too. There's all these subtleties to his face, and to all the others that I may or may not be able to evoke with fine tuning. I'll definitely keep trying, though. As for McGann's coat, I did initially start with a much darker green, but that's the official dark green torso colour. It's kinda like how there's no adequate purple for eleven's longcoat, and so I tried playing around with colours to try and reach something that had the same effect. If I have time when I've finished all of them, I'll see what I can do for eleven's first oufit. Thanks for the feedback!

It seems the more I add to each one, the plainer and simpler my previous designs seem, and I keep thinking about how I can make them more complex. I could try removing the scarf details and upload that. See if it looks any better. When you say lighter, do you mean smaller, or less present, so to speak, or do you mean a lighter colour? The problem with the latter is that the official lego brown is quite dark, and the only lighter colours you'd find on hair are too light to pass as Baker. I'll play around and see what I can do.

I meant a slightly lighter brown colour. Looking at pictures again I'd say you're probably right!

Removing some of the detailing on the scarf should help.

EDIT: Actually, looking again at an image, his sideburns look to be a lighter colour than his hair. Take a look:

http://www.mindpollution.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/tom-baker.jpg

Edited by KingPixels

That was one of my reference images - my thoughts were that it'd look odd if the hair and the sideburns are different shades of brown on a figure. If someone were to try both the hair shade of brown and a lighter shade on figure, we could probably see if it works and which works best! Trial and error it.

Love Three!

Four I think should have a brown jacket though..but the detail is fantastic!

One would be cool but do you just not like Ten or...?

It's probably an unpopular opinion to dislike the tenth Doctor, but I'm not a fan. I'll still make him for the sake of completion, but I'll only really find the motivation when I've done all the others. As for the brown coat for four, it might require some different colours, but I'll get cracking.