Huw

10183 Hobby Train review

I have now built 1, 4 and 9, but with addition of some smaller parts and some minor modifications to models.

The main problem when building several cars are wheels and buffers. You get 12wheels and you use 8 for main model, so you are left with four which is good for one car. If you add 9V motor to both locomotives then you get additional 4 wheels, so it's possible to build what I wrote. You may also have to add some plain bricks and plates, but I think that we all have enough of these.

thanks for the info! I realize I could probably have looked that up about the boggies, but it's great to actually hear the experience from someone. I've got the Emerald Night on it's way and have already allocated a spot for it in my display (more on that below). This info really helps me to plan out how much room to allocate for this hobby train set (or even to make the decision to keep this set sealed as there may not be more room for it) :cry_sad:

Does that say something about the size of your lego collection or more about your memory? :wink:

actually ... neither :)

I've been collecting for approximately 10-12 years, and I say "collecting" as I'm more of a collect-and-display person within display cases and shelves rather than having them incorporated into a big cityscape, etc. My Lego collection is very modest and part of the reason being is that space is limited for display purposes at my current home.

I do remember that I have certain sets still sealed and this hobby train was one of them. I've recently done some rearranging of a few things and have some room to start opening up older sets. A few off the top of my head that I've got stored away still sealed (and they're not necessarily anything special by any standards) are: Creator Stegosaurus (childhood dino nerd), Technic Crane Truck (that I had to jump through hoops to purchase from the US since they don't sell it in Canada), Hobby Train, a few "My Own Train" cars, and the Boeing 787.

I actually wouldn't mind showing what I have on display at home, but it looks like collections are just shown in whatever relevant discussion threads here: somewhat different from a lot of other forums I frequent where there are dedicated threads for showing of specific collections of some sort.

I'm still new to this community, but doing a lot of browsing and so far I love what I see :)

Edited by j3tang

I have now built 1, 4 and 9, but with addition of some smaller parts and some minor modifications to models.

The main problem when building several cars are wheels and buffers. You get 12wheels and you use 8 for main model, so you are left with four which is good for one car. If you add 9V motor to both locomotives then you get additional 4 wheels, so it's possible to build what I wrote. You may also have to add some plain bricks and plates, but I think that we all have enough of these.

I built #4 and incorporated the RC base from the 7898 Cargo Train.

2239110400101579773S500x500Q85.jpg

Here it's what I manage to put together with addition of some standard parts (from my collection of non-train parts)

row1: red crocodile

row4: "BNSF" and flat car

Row5: small black steamer, 2 red/white cars and caboose

p8290183.jpg