Sign in to follow this  
GandalfofHoth

Is there a Brick building program for linux?

I am getting a linux system soon and I was wondering if anybody knew of a good brick building program for linux? I would appreciate any help, even if there isn't a program.

Thanks I'll see if this works when I get my system up and running, I'm converting on old mac mini (2007) so I'll try it when the systems up and running to my liking. Luckily you guy's just happened to mention a program that worked for Ubuntu (the distributer I'm using) so no looking for other similar programs that are compatible with it.

Edited by GandalfofHoth

Though LDD through Wine is a viable option, it is common for people to give up on wine due to the complications that can arise. Unfortunitly there really are no other alternatives. Or you could grab VMWare player and create a Windows virtual machine and run it more natively providely you have newer hardware that supports device sharing. (Linux Kernel Virtual Machine (KVM) can also do this but it is a lot more difficult.)

There was a way-more native program in the works that utilized the LDraw library, however I have not heard anything regarding it in a long time. However in the developement branch nothing has been touched for atleast 10 months, but most longer. It had pov-ray rendering support as well. I never managed to get it up and running. Maybe if I am feeling brave I could try again... We shall see.

It can be found here:

Konstruktor

3D LEGO

I did successfully install LDD through Wine in an Ubuntu 10 (?) system that I'd installed to play around with in VMWare Fusion. I remember I had to log in with the administrator account to get it to run, though, and even then the graphics were completely messed up to the point of being nearly unusable. (Though in the case of the latter, it could just be an issue with the virtual machine.)

Hi,

I'm using LDD a lot through Wine and I never had big issues. I had some issues with the sound but nothing major and it does not happen all the time.

An other issue, is I can't see the lower bar (with the part name, and numbers of parts). It's maybe a probleme of screen resolution I don't know. But except for that everything works fine

Hi,

I'm using LDD a lot through Wine and I never had big issues. I had some issues with the sound but nothing major and it does not happen all the time.

when I installed wine and LDD it was all glitchy and I couldn't rotate pieces, and I hated it's interface, so hopefully Konstructor or Mecabricks pulls through. If only I could get bricksmith on it.

@GandalfofHoth

About rotating bricks in LDD, is it a misfunction due to WINE or you don't know how to rotate bricks in LDD?

And what do you mean exactly with "glitchy"? A screenshot could explain better the problem?

and what do you mean by "it's interface"? LDD through WINE is exactly the same than on Windows. exactly.

I use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bits, Wine 1.4 and LDD 4.3.6

I've been using LDD via wine for some time and have not found any problems. Ok i have but those are all due to how LDD works and not related to running it. It sure is different from Mlcad. I just tried LDD part finder and it too works fine.

You can also try SR3DBuilder under Linux/WineHQ with the appropriate Directx extension.

It should work...

If this is the case, please feedback

Sergio

I've been using LDD via wine for some time and have not found any problems. Ok i have but those are all due to how LDD works and not related to running it. It sure is different from Mlcad. I just tried LDD part finder and it too works fine.

This is the case, the second time the first time (when I posted) i had incorrectly installed wine, I used the internet download, but I found that it wasn't working right, luckily Ubuntu software center has WINE download and that works I like konstructor a lot but I will try SR3DBuilder though.

Not bad LDCad, I didn't know about it.

The approach seems similar to MLCad, not a fully 3D environment such as LDD or SR3D.

Another software to add to the section index.

The program is fully 3D. You can switch to a sideways view, but it's possible to edit in full 3D with a rotatable camera.

Even better than.

It seems to be well developed and have a good looking graphics.

Besides, the software is very small size and standalone.

Do you use it?

How do it manages connections in full 3d mode?

Does the software rely on to the LDraw ecosystem? (EDIT: yes, it uses LDraw parts)

Edited by Calabar

Even better than.

It seems to be well developed and have a good looking graphics.

Besides, the software is very small size and standalone.

Do you use it?

How do it manages connections in full 3d mode?

Does the software rely on to the LDraw ecosystem? (EDIT: yes, it uses LDraw parts)

You can see for yourself. The author has his own YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rolandMelkert?feature=watch