Sign in to follow this  
AlmightyArjen

I need some inspiration...

As some of you already know/remember, I've built this automated train layout:

Now it's time to take it to the next level! I want to include some switches in the track but for the rest I can't come up with other cool ideas. So do you have some great ideas that I could include in a new fully automated layout? I'm quite bound to the physical size like you see in the video (my living room doesn't have more space), I could add some extra trains though...

Please share your ideas! :D

a bridge?, which opens to let pass a boat, (or another train if that is more easier.

although an opening bridge might be anough of a challenge for a moc of its own.

What about a system that automatically swaps out one locomotive for another after a certain period of time?

Edited by Phoxtane

I like the idea of a commuter train: that's not something easily done due to the reversed polarities/

What about a system that automatically swaps out one locomotive for another after a certain period of time?

How do you mean/see that? Does another locomotive also have to pull the same wagons as the first locomotive?

You could so some sort of automated switching, like this, though building in manual switching would probably be more interesting to play with. Signals for the trains would be great (semaphores or lights), working gates and flashing lights at the grade crossings, working cranes to load/unload flat cars, draw bridges, two or more trains on one track (using block signal control?), other automated wayside elements (e.g., coal loading/unloading).

How do you mean/see that? Does another locomotive also have to pull the same wagons as the first locomotive?

I was thinking something like an automated turntable or transfer table [i know there's one somewhere around here, can't find it at the moment] where the locomotive is disconnected from the train, parked in its bay, and another locomotive is pulled out to replace it and pulls the train for a bit.

That may be a tad overambitious, but it's certainly something I'd love to see done from an automation standpoint.

You could so some sort of automated switching, like this, though building in manual switching would probably be more interesting to play with. Signals for the trains would be great (semaphores or lights), working gates and flashing lights at the grade crossings, working cranes to load/unload flat cars, draw bridges, two or more trains on one track (using block signal control?), other automated wayside elements (e.g., coal loading/unloading).

I'm already working on automated switches. I like the idea of loading/unloading flat cars in combination with technic robotic arms so that's a really good idea!

I was thinking something like an automated turntable or transfer table [i know there's one somewhere around here, can't find it at the moment] where the locomotive is disconnected from the train, parked in its bay, and another locomotive is pulled out to replace it and pulls the train for a bit.

That may be a tad overambitious, but it's certainly something I'd love to see done from an automation standpoint.

It's quite ambitious but also very cool and according to me doable. But I don't have (yet) the Legos to build a whole turntable. But there are some nice MOC's out there and we've got Bricklink so that won't be a problem (only the costs ofcourse ;) )

Thanks you all, really nice ideas on which I can wrap my mind around :D

If you are at Hardenberg tomorrow I can show you my solution for the points (since we haven't yet been able to drink coffee together ;))

I'm thinking about creating an automated transfer table like this (for LEGOWorld Utrecht 2013):

6110232994_bf394c0a5f.jpg

Sorry, I won't be able to go to Hardenberg this weekend, but the coffee is still on! ;) Nice transfer you've posted, I've never seen anything like that!