Hi!

I made a new GBC module.

This one wasn't aimed to be complex or very clever - It was aimed to be simple and easy to operate.

I built it because many people on youtube asked me for a simple,not motorized GBC module,and only uses common Lego pieces.

It's very fun to operate as you only need to press a button and the ball elevates,unlike previous marble pumps which were hard to operate by hand.

I think that the video & description provide enough info...so...here's the video (there is also a LDD file in the description)

Very nice!

Everytime I see a post like this, I am hoping TLG will release a modular GBC Technic subtheme. That would be so awesome.

Is there a centralized database, forum, website or something for all GBCs?

Very nice!

Everytime I see a post like this, I am hoping TLG will release a modular GBC Technic subtheme. That would be so awesome.

No :/ There is a website called http://www.greatballcontraption.com/,but it's very old and outdated.

There is no GBC forum and since Technic is the closest to GBC,I post it here..

I found that website, but it's indeed quite outdated.

Would be nice to have a collection of GBCs with Building Instructions etc, divided in categories like starter, intermediate, advanced, superior.

I am always amazed how people can create huge contraptions with a single motor.

Probably needs a lot of practice and trial and error to get things up and running.

This is sweet! Thanks for sharing.

I'm really looking into GBC stuff, Just need lots of balls.

Balls to you, Sir!

very compact and simple, i like it!

i'd also like some more info on GBC, i had an hard time browing very old forum posts around the net to collect bits of knowledge. It would be fantastic to have something like a wiki with all tips and tricks.

very compact and simple, i like it!

i'd also like some more info on GBC, i had an hard time browing very old forum posts around the net to collect bits of knowledge. It would be fantastic to have something like a wiki with all tips and tricks.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. That would be very nice.

Could do that, but GBC is not really my field of expertise. I'm just really enthusiastic when I see GBC creations.

A GBC knowledge base could be very good.

I'm currently working on a series of tutorials for making "your first GBC" - these will include common pieces used including the GBC balls,building a runway,handy mechanisms (output splitter,ball isolation etc) and some LDD files of GBC modules.

Edited by LegoGBC

That's great!!

You can start a new topic and maybe it will get pinned.

Looking forward to it.

That's great!!

You can start a new topic and maybe it will get pinned.

Looking forward to it.

Might take a while as I'm working on my new GBC modules & loop,but I have it planned for this month. Hopefully i'll have the time.

Go for it. I'm also a little tempted to get into GBC but need to get some large base plates and some balls. :grin:

The closest thing I know is my own blog, searching in the GBC cathegory. Most of the last GBCs are updated on my blog (2011-2013).

http://yiharuablog.wordpress.com/?s=gbc

Buuut you´ve given me an idea. I am interested in doing that GBC database... If times comes to my life it will be a fact. ;)

A GBC knowledge base could be very good.

I'm currently working on a series of tutorials for making "your first GBC" - these will include common pieces used including the GBC balls,building a runway,handy mechanisms (output splitter,ball isolation etc) and some LDD files of GBC modules.

Please do!

Another thing i miss is a good glossary. There are a lot of terms in GBC forums that i don't understand, such as "hopper".. what is it ? :)

As for my experience: I managed to build a very simple marble pump some month ago, and i learned that building a GBC is HARD! i knew it beforehand, but not THAT much! The worst part is calibrating everything: a small offset on a lever or button or such can break down a whole mechanism.. But when you correct that, another part disalign and require calibration. Also, maybe it's becouse i'm a rookie, but it requires a lot of pieces. Gears, axle, structural elements, etc.

Another thing i learned is that the balls are evil :) if there's the remote possibility that some balls get stuck, they surely will! For example my input box included a mixer becouse no matter the shape i gave to it, balls kept jamming every minute :(

As i said, i'm relatively new to technics, so maybe most of that is becouse i suck :P

Balls are very naughty yes :D.

Hopper is the part where balls wait to be moved, at the entrance of the module. :)img_1448.jpg?w=500&h=400

That is the hopper of one of my old modules. ;)

Please do!

Another thing i miss is a good glossary. There are a lot of terms in GBC forums that i don't understand, such as "hopper".. what is it ? :)

As for my experience: I managed to build a very simple marble pump some month ago, and i learned that building a GBC is HARD! i knew it beforehand, but not THAT much! The worst part is calibrating everything: a small offset on a lever or button or such can break down a whole mechanism.. But when you correct that, another part disalign and require calibration. Also, maybe it's becouse i'm a rookie, but it requires a lot of pieces. Gears, axle, structural elements, etc.

Another thing i learned is that the balls are evil :) if there's the remote possibility that some balls get stuck, they surely will! For example my input box included a mixer becouse no matter the shape i gave to it, balls kept jamming every minute :(

As i said, i'm relatively new to technics, so maybe most of that is becouse i suck :P

Yes,GBC modules take TONS of tweaks to make them run well.

Even tough it may be frustrating (and it is when a module fails), it worth it when you finish the module and see it work :)

This module that you are commenting on for example (the marble pump v3) has a very simple mechanism - but it took A LOT of time and tons of troubleshooting to make it run well,and as you said: many times fixing one problem

caused another...but with some experience you start expecting the problems and manage to avoid them.