Morten

The Simpsons 2014 Rumors & Discussion

They just judge it by the medium it's in.

Everything you have said is entirely valid and probably far more accurate than my words, but I would like to point out that this quote is the point I had been trying to make in my last post here.

I don't think it's a double standard. I don't think they ban ALL violence and stuff. They just judge it by the medium it's in. Like WWII Nazis they look at the history and consider it for whatever reason inappropriate. Simpsons Itchy and Scratchy they might consider more appropriate because of it's medium being a cartoon that doesn't take things seriously. I would make a comparison to Stephen Colbert who's "character" can say some pretty horrible things and he's taken heat for his character's racist portrayal of an Asian stereotype. However despite the overt racism and stuff people don't usually take it that way due to the medium he uses with comedy and essentially making fun of racism with a ridiculous character made to outline how ridiculous it is.

And for violence, not all of it is created equal even if it seems to be at first. If you watch a video of Hitler shooting a Jewish person and watch another video of Captain America shooting a terrorist in exactly the same way one of those will be considered worse. It's all about how it's portrayed and less about the actual physical violence. Cutting off one head is not necessarily equal to cutting off another head. There are some heads cut off in LotRs but they're bad guy monster heads. Whereas if the movie was more filled with human heads rolling TLG might have a harder time making sets for those movies.

Yes, you're right - the real-life murder of millions is worse than Itchy and Scratchy "for whatever reason".

Don't compare a real-life murder to Captain America, either.

You know the Nazis and all that - that all actually happened. You realise that, right? Because you're talking about it as if it's another work of fiction, that is 'worse' than Captain America because a) it's the 'bad guys' winning and b ) it's gorier.

When in reality it's worse because it's, y'know....real. That's real life.

Everything you have said is entirely valid and probably far more accurate than my words

Please don't encourage him...

Edited by sj1984

Yes, you're right - the real-life murder of millions is worse than Itchy and Scratchy "for whatever reason".

Don't compare a real-life murder to Captain America, either.

You know the Nazis and all that - that all actually happened. You realise that, right? Because you're talking about it as if it's another work of fiction, that is 'worse' than Captain America because a) it's the 'bad guys' winning and b ) it's gorier.

When in reality it's worse because it's, y'know....real. That's real life.

What he heck are you talking about? You read what I wrote so wrong it's mind boggling. You somehow read my words completely opposite of what I intended and made a point which I already made (that one type of violence due to the medium is worse). Please practice reading comprehension before you comment. I'm pretty sure I didn't write it horribly since Star Wars NutJub 69 seemed to understand exactly what I said.

Seriously, you just completely missed the point of my whole post. And now I feel like I'm being told that I think Nazi violence isn't bad. Who doesn't realize that stuff actually happened? :/

I'm insulted and confused by your ridiculous post that seems to think I don't realize there's a difference here when my original post's point was to POINT OUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE and Lego considers the content of the violence... :hmpf_bad:

Edited by BrickG

*Aimed at sj1984, seeing as I am currently unable to directly quote posts at the moment*

My intent wasn't to encourage, I was merely expressing my agreement with what he said. I personally believe that his statement was correct: from my experience, people do perceive similar things differently depending on the form of media and the circumstances relating to the incident. If you disagree then that is fair enough; we'll just have to agree to disagree. Saying that, you do make valid points as well: as you said, the Nazis actually happened and shouldn't be mentioned as if they are another work of fiction (this is a general statement rather than explicitly directed at anyone, I'm not trying to stir up an argument).

Back on topic, I do hope that if we get more sets for this theme they try to focus more on buildings than vehicles, at least until many of the iconic and more viable locations have been realised in LEGO. It would be a nice change of pace to have a theme focusing on buildings rather than vehicles for once.

Edited by Star Wars NutJob 69

What he heck are you talking about? You read what I wrote so wrong it's mind boggling. You somehow read my words completely opposite of what I intended and made a point which I already made (that one type of violence due to the medium is worse). Please practice reading comprehension before you comment. I'm pretty sure I didn't write it horribly since Star Wars NutJub 69 seemed to understand exactly what I said.

Seriously, you just completely missed the point of my whole post. And now I feel like I'm being told that I think Nazi violence isn't bad. Who doesn't realize that stuff actually happened? :/

I'm insulted and confused by your ridiculous post that seems to think I don't realize there's a difference here when my original post's point was to POINT OUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE and Lego considers the content of the violence... :hmpf_bad:

I read perfectly fine, thanks - perhaps have a look at your post again. Whilst you're right that context affects violence - i.e the cartoon violence of Itchy and Scratchy is different to the violence of, say, an adult horror movie - your way of explaining that is ridiculous and borderline offensive.

Here's why - comparing cartoon violence to real life murder, and then flippantly saying that the latter is considered worse 'for whatever reason' is incredibly offensive. It's worse because it's the taking of an actual human life - a real thing that really happened.

And, in your post, you never touch upon it being worse because it's real. You say that if you watch a video of Hitler killing someone, and then watch Captain America killing a terrorist, you're watching two comparable things, and the former is worse just because it's a bad guy doing the killing. Not because, y'know, it's real.

And don't even get me started on your racism 'point', where you believe it's 'okay' because it's done in a 'funny' way and is therefore not harmful. Ugh.

Also, one persion saying 'Hey I understand your post' doesn't mean it's not nonsense.

I definitely agree that the context of violence in fiction is relevant to whether Lego produces stuff. But you tried to bring real-life violence and the murder of millions into that conversation, and at no point did you say 'This is worse because it's real life'. You treated it like it was fiction, said it was worse because it was 'bad guys' doing it, and said Lego don't produce Nazi sets 'for whatever reason'. That's the problem.

I read perfectly fine, thanks - perhaps have a look at your post again. Whilst you're right that context affects violence - i.e the cartoon violence of Itchy and Scratchy is different to the violence of, say, an adult horror movie - your way of explaining that is ridiculous and borderline offensive.

Here's why - comparing cartoon violence to real life murder, and then flippantly saying that the latter is considered worse 'for whatever reason' is incredibly offensive. It's worse because it's the taking of an actual human life - a real thing that really happened.

What's offensive are your ridiculous words that seem to suggest I think the holocaust is fine. :/

Comparing cartoon violence to real life violence is the whole point. The comparison is extreme which again is the whole point. You clearly MISSED the point.

Comparing and contrasting using two sides of an extreme was made to illustrate just WHY not all violence is equal and WHY The Lego Group is not hypocritical when accepting saying they want to avoid violence and then accepting some. The whole point was to give a CLEAR illustration that showed the obvious differences between different kinds of violence based on their medium and content.

And when I said "for whatever reason" I think you're thinking like a teenager. I'm not a teenager saying "whut-evveeer!" but simply listing that there is a reason that they choose that some violence is okay and some is not. "Whatever reason" is literally meaning that, they use whatever reason they come up with to come to their decisions. The simple wording does NOT mean I'm downplaying the holocaust or anything like that.

And, in your post, you never touch upon it being worse because it's real. You say that if you watch a video of Hitler killing someone, and then watch Captain America killing a terrorist, you're watching two comparable things, and the former is worse just because it's a bad guy doing the killing. Not because, y'know, it's real.

I thought it was OBVIOUS that I was suggesting that it's also worse because it's real. I compared a fictional scenario to an extreme scenario based on something real (though I'm not sure Hitler ever punched a jewish person personally).

That went WITHOUT SAYING. That was the WHOLE POINT OF THE POST! Comparing something with a bad guy, something based on reality to something fictional and hero like.

Again, THE WHOLE POINT. And you MISSED IT.

And don't even get me started on your racism 'point', where you believe it's 'okay' because it's done in a 'funny' way and is therefore not harmful. Ugh.

I never said it was OKAY. Again, you failed at basic reading comprehension stuff. And I'm highly doubting you know anything about the context of Stephen Colbert too.

I said that Colbert uses humor to make fun of stuff like racism. He uses it to point out the absurdity of things like racism (it's not the only thing) through the use of a character who just makes it all the more absurd.

Some people believe this makes it fine because his comedy is a social commentary on how absurd racism and other things are. Which in the content compared to a REAL racist who genuines believes racist things is something that could be viewed as not as bad.

It was an example. And if you knew how to read you'd see that I didn't take a personal stance on it myself. I literally never said it was 'okay' myself. I just used a general concensus and generalized thoughts of the people (he's got a lot of viewers) and did not say anything personally.

Also, one persion saying 'Hey I understand your post' doesn't mean it's not nonsense.

It's nonsense because you suck at reading and go on tantrums based on your lack of reading comprehension. You've already several times proven that you misread most everything with your statements that are clearly not true.

I definitely agree that the context of violence in fiction is relevant to whether Lego produces stuff. But you tried to bring real-life violence and the murder of millions into that conversation, and at no point did you say 'This is worse because it's real life'. You treated it like it was fiction, said it was worse because it was 'bad guys' doing it, and said Lego don't produce Nazi sets 'for whatever reason'. That's the problem.

Read it again. I never treated it like it was fiction. Where the crap do I say it was fiction? The whole point was to contrast real world stuff with fake stuff for the clarity of the point which ended up going way above your head.

You keep telling me I'm doing stuff, none of which I did.

I never treated Hitler or the events like they were fiction. In fact I said the opposite when I said they looked at Nazi HISTORY (real history? did you think I meant FAKE history? wut?).

I never said the use of racism in jokes is okay.

And you took 'for whatever reason' really stupidly. "Whatever" does not only have the "teenager" meaning.

So again, you completely read everything wrong. You're insulted for STUPID reasons based solely on your poor reading comprehension and critical thinking skills. And I bet you CONTINUE to do so because chances are since this is the internet and you have a certain level of anonymity you can easily be stubborn and refuse to even consider that you were dead wrong. On every point I might add.

Seriously, leave the internet. I'm a bit defensive because I don't take kindly to essentially being told I'm acting like a Holocaust denier. Slight exaggeration but you are telling me I'm acting like that part of history is fictional which clearly I'm not. I'm not Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Edited by BrickG

What's offensive are your ridiculous words that seem to suggest I think the holocaust is fine. :/

As you'd say, learn to read. At no point have I said you're pro-Nazi. Like, I've not even remotely touched on anything like that at all.

Comparing cartoon violence to real life violence is the whole point. The comparison is extreme which again is the whole point. You clearly MISSED the point.

Comparing and contrasting using two sides of an extreme was made to illustrate just WHY not all violence is equal and WHY The Lego Group is not hypocritical when accepting saying they want to avoid violence and then accepting some. The whole point was to give a CLEAR illustration that showed the obvious differences between different kinds of violence based on their medium and content.

But to make your point, you should've been comparing two fictional instances of violence. As I said, Itchy and Scratchy cartoon violence against the violence in an adult horror movie. That's a fine comparison for what you're trying to achieve.

And when I said "for whatever reason" I think you're thinking like a teenager. I'm not a teenager saying "whut-evveeer!" but simply listing that there is a reason that they choose that some violence is okay and some is not. "Whatever reason" is literally meaning that, they use whatever reason they come up with to come to their decisions.

But in that case, the reason is obvious. You could've simply compared one fictional instance of violence with another, like a horror movie.

That'd have made it relevant - obviously Lego isn't going to make sets based on a real-life mass murder, so your comparison doesn't really work.

I thought it was OBVIOUS that I was suggesting that it's also worse because it's real. I compared a fictional scenario to an extreme scenario based on something real (though I'm not sure Hitler ever punched a jewish person personally).

That went WITHOUT SAYING. That was the WHOLE POINT OF THE POST! Comparing something with a bad guy, something based on reality to something fictional and hero like.

Again, THE WHOLE POINT. And you MISSED IT.

Thanks for the caps lock. Why would you compare fictional violence to real life violence in this context? It doesn't make sense. You could achieve the same point (and make it more relevant) through a comparison between two works of fiction.

Lego produce sets based on IPs that have 'okay' cartoon violence. They don't produce sets based on IPs which feature extreme, horriffic, graphic instances of violence. That's your point, right? I agree. I made that point in one sentence, there, with no Nazi references.

I never said it was OKAY. Again, you failed at basic reading comprehension stuff. And I'm highly doubting you know anything about the context of Stephen Colbert too.

I said that Colbert uses humor to make fun of stuff like racism. He uses it to point out the absurdity of things like racism (it's not the only thing) through the use of a character who just makes it all the more absurd.

Some people believe this makes it fine because his comedy is a social commentary on how absurd racism and other things are. Which in the content compared to a REAL racist who genuines believes racist things is something that could be viewed as not as bad.

Fair, I've not seen the sketch/characters - it may well be quite intelligent, in fairness. But in many instances, comedy based around racism is passed off as 'okay' because the person doing it isn't actually racist - BUT it still serves to perpetuate such beliefs among the public.

Also, once again - I can read. I can read so well that I can extensively pick flaws in your poorly structured post. So, please, since I've proven I can read, can we lay that to rest?

It was an example. And if you knew how to read you'd see that I didn't take a personal stance on it myself. I literally never said it was 'okay' myself. I just used a general concensus and generalized thoughts of the people (he's got a lot of viewers) and did not say anything personally.

Right. At no point did you say the words 'I am okay with this'. You're right on that. But the content and tone of your post imply as much. I mean, as above, you just defended him. You said 'some people say he's offensive but' and that he's just pointing out the absurdity of racism. That suggests that you are okay with it - though you did not say the sentence 'I am okay with it'.

I can read so well that I can take the meaning of the words you say and know what they mean. Crazy.

It's nonsense because you suck at reading and go on tantrums based on your lack of reading comprehension. You've already several times proven that you misread most everything with your statements that are clearly not true.

Er, like what?

Thanks for turning a potentially intelligent and interesting discussion into a 'YOU CAN'T READ, CAPS LOCK ON, STOP HAVING TANTRUMS' schoolyard fight.

Read it again. I never treated it like it was fiction. Where the crap do I say it was fiction?

You didn't say that it was fiction! I never said that you said it was fiction! I said you treated it like it was fiction. That is a very different thing to you outright saying it's fiction! Which you didn't do!

It's called reading. Seriously. I take your words. I see their meanings. I can take things from what you write. For example, you like Colburt. You never SAID you like him, but it's clear from your post that you do.

You never SAID the Holocaust is fiction. You don't believe the Holocaust is fiction. HOWEVER, in your post, you put it alongside fiction in your comparisons - thereby treating it as fiction. As you're saying it's comparable to fiction. As you say 'Hey a video of a Nazi killing someone is on the same level as a video of a movie character killing someone'. (Again, you didn't SAY those EXACT words in that order, but that is the meaning that was created with them).

I never treated Hitler or the events like they were fiction. In fact I said the opposite when I said they looked at Nazi HISTORY (real history? did you think I meant FAKE history? wut?).

Yes - you SAID it was history, you KNOW it's real life, BUT contained within that single post is the TREATMENT of those events as fiction. You TREATING them that way is DIFFERENT to you SAYING that they are fiction.

I never said that you SAID it was fiction.

So again, you completely read everything wrong. You're insulted for STUPID reasons based solely on your poor reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.

Thanks for the insults once again. I think I've just demonstrated my critical thinking skills.

You wrote your original post poorly. You put across certain ideas that I'm sure you didn't intend. Reading your post, it comes across as if you think that the ONLY REASON Nazi stuff is worse is because it's more violent and it's the 'bad guys' winning. That may not be the meaning you intended, but that's the meaning that people will take from it. So, just....learn to write.

I think you missed the point of his post and you get offended to easy.

Thanks, that sure added a lot to the discussion!

And yet again you misread everything I said. I never said you said I was pro-Nazi. Wat? Seriously?

Okay I stopped reading after that point. You're clearly a brick wall. You're stubborn and immobile. There's no point in continuing this conversation because you're just so blind and so ignorant. Your reading comprehension is clearly in need of further education and it is pointless to continue debating with someone as pigheaded as you. So I am stopping.

Thanks, that sure added a lot to the discussion!

It did. So far you're the only one that thinks anything you've been spewing. You are clearly alone. Go be alone somewhere else.

To everyone else I apologize for this diversion of the topic. I just found it difficult to ignore such absurdities and ridiculously unfounded accusations.

Edited by BrickG

Let's get this thread back on topic please.

Just to be clear, this is the end of this discussion. Feel free to argue through PM, but not in this thread.

"It did. So far you're the only one that thinks anything you've been spewing. You are clearly alone. Go be alone somewhere else."

Haw-haw!!

Edited by HomerJSimpson

Anyhoo...wal mart has these on sale for 2.97 this week...if you can find them

Where did you hear this from? :classic:

"It did. So far you're the only one that thinks anything you've been spewing. You are clearly alone. Go be alone somewhere else."

Haw-haw!!

Rick had already posted here to get this thread back on topic and you come in a couple of hours later to post this? Please do not try to reignite an argument.

Please get back on topic and stay on topic, thank you.

Still no sign of the figures in the UK, which is very strange. Usually the CMFs come out a few weeks before the release date here.

Still no sign of the figures in the UK, which is very strange. Usually the CMFs come out a few weeks before the release date here.

I don't think it should be too long to wait now. :classic:

Where did you hear this from? :classic:

People on brickset have posted it there. Wal-Mart has an ad out stating that movie minifigs are 2.97 all week long, but as y'all already know, movie minifigs have been sold out for quite a while now. So WMT is marking the Simpsons at 2.97...that's if you can find them. :(

I think Lego did the right thing with the faces now this image has popped-up:

1606981_10152087963813697_8423484284895748576_n.jpg