Capt.JohnPaul

Heroica RPG - Quest #80: Sic Semper Tyrannis

sic_semper_tyrannis.jpg

~Welcome to Sic Semper Tyrannis! This quest is for chosen heroes only! If you wish to join the game, head over to the

Rules and FAQs topic to learn how to do so.~

The soldier leads the heroes onto a boat, getting ready to head to Laticum.

legionaire.png

"Viri, if you have any purchases to make, do so, and then we can make our way to Laticum."

Party:

copy_of_pict0550.jpg

Haldor Skovgaard (Played by Scorpiox)

34 year old male human Nord. Level 272/3 Shaman. *Immune to Stunned, Fragile and Blinded* *Party Leader*

Power: 46 (Level 27, +15 WP, +4 from Scarlett Hood)

Defence: 7 (Base 0 +2 from Ethereal Cloak, +5 from Heavy Armour)

Health: 45/45 (Base 9, +26 Level Increase, +9 Additional +1 Zoot's Bonus)

Ether: 37/37 (Base 5, +26 Level Increase, +1 Additional, +4 from Ethereal Cloak)

Gold: 103

Equipment: Zoot er Isen (WP:15, Ice and Light Elemental) Ethereal Cloak (SP:+2, +4 Ether, Protects from Blindness), Scarlet Hood (+4 Power, Protects from Stunning), Heavy Armour (SP:+5, Protects from Fragility).

Inventory: Heavy Metal Rod (WP:12, Water Elemental), Dualis Sceptre (WP: 8, Dual-Striking), Bear Claw Gloves (WP:8, SP:+2), Sickle Claw Knife (WP:12), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 Power, Protects from Weakening), Shovel, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Diamond of Thoric (Empty), Bluehood's Aquamarine (Empty), Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep, Reptillian Scale, Health Core (x2), Potion (x4), Remedy (x5), Venom, Pheonix Esscence, Tonic, Smelling Salts, Mead.

7932686900_57081d2403_t.jpgRomulus Dean(TheBoyWonder)

Level 18.5 Raider *Immune to Fragile*

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 5

Health: 32/32 (7+16+7+1)

Gold: 160 (30 to Loreal)

Equipment: Dawnbreaker (WP:13, Light), Sticky Gloves , Heavy Armour (SP5 protects from Fragile)

Inventory: Bedroll, Potion, Nostrum x3, Sylvania's Cowl(grants Animal Talk to Wearer), Phoenix Essence, Throwing Dagger (WP: 6), Combrys (WP:15, consecutive successful strikes raise Combry's WP by 1, unsuccessful strikes drop it to it's base WP), Spiked Club (WP:10, Earth), Staff of Frog Paladin (WP6, Grants Amphibianoc's Blessing).

Mizuki_Fancy_Ava2.jpgName: Mizuki Kimura (zakura)

21-year-old female human Assassin

Level 16.5

Health: 27/27

Gold: 150

Equipment: , Sticky Gloves( Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up)), Magic Viper Skin (accessory, heals 1 health to wearer each round of battle, unless knocked out)

Inventory: Top Hat (WP: 14. 50% Stun chance, retrievable), Sylph Shuriken (WP:12, wind- and light-elemental, retrievable), Dagger (WP:10), Explosive Handcannon (WP:8/16 to Rock Monsters), Grand Potion, Potion, Phoenix Essence, 2 Venoms, Deadly Venom, 3 Nostrums, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Death Progg Claw, Trial Brew, Rito Feather (consumable, grants the hastened- and blessed-effects upon use for one battle)

xander_hunter.jpgXander Unth'or (posades)

24 year-old male human Hunter

Level 26.66 *Natural Respite* *Immune to Blindness and Fragile* *Favours Beast and Aquatic Monsters*

Power: 47 (26+19+2)

Health: 39/39 (8+25+6)

Ether: 0/0

Gold: 1

Equipment: Precision Bow (WP:19; all 'Aim's become 'Hit's), Hunter's Quiver of Marksmanship (WP:2 to a bow, allows the hunter to favor two types at the same time; protects from blindness-effect), Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect), Medal of Glory (Wearer gains triple experience, accessory)

Inventory: Pongcanis Club (WP:8), Enigmatic Hammer (WP:3), Electro Gear (Wearer deals and is immune to lightning elemental damage, accessory), Aquamarine (Water), Topaz (Lightning) 3 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 5 Remedies, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Venom, Deadly Venom, Skeleton Decoy, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Bones, 3 Dragon Scales, Mead, 1 Level-Up Mushroom

QM Note: Thank you all for playing! You all have 24 hours to confirm, or else be replaced. Also notify me of any last minute purchases and if your stats are correct. :classic:

Haldor follows the soldier out into the streets and over to Eubric's seaport, finishing the last of his ale as he walks. After finally reaching the particular boat that would take the heroes to their destination, the nord turns to address his unfamiliar colleges.

"Alright, so you're the gentlemen - and lady, that'll be serving under me for this particular venture. Fine folks you look to be too. I trust that we can depend on you to do your jobs."

He props himself up on a nearby wall and begins to sharpen his axe, glancing at the others every so often.

"Ready when you are, comrades."

"Ah Haldor, I look forward to serving under you. Mizuki is powerful, but overly sentimental, so be careful and make sure she doesn't try to help dead opponents, it was quite embarrassing last time. "

Romulus turns. " How far is Laticum?"

Romulus turns. " How far is Laticum?"

legionaire.png

"It is just West of Charis, Vir. It is the next peninsula over."

Xander arrives at the docks, glancing at the other heroes that had already arrived. A ragged bunch, but he had seen worse and had learned to underestimate no one.

Raising his hand slightly, he addresses them: "My name is Xander Unth'or, I do not believe I have quested with any of you before. Rest assured, my bow will not let you down."

He continues, "If it is not too early to ask of favors, I have a request. I have the ability to equip another artifact, although it seems I have nothing in my possession that I can wear. Do any of you have something I could borrow for some part of this quest?"

OoC: Just updated my stats from the last quest; you'll have to update mine on this page, sorry.

Mizuki walks out from an alley way carrying her Top Hat in front of the rest of the heroes.

"Sorry I'm late, just had to fix my satchel, its magic was malfunctioning and the wrong items were coming out."

OoC: Just updated my stats from the last quest; you'll have to update mine on this page, sorry.

Edited by Zakura

Raising his hand slightly, he addresses them: "My name is Xander Unth'or, I do not believe I have quested with any of you before. Rest assured, my bow will not let you down."

He continues, "If it is not too early to ask of favors, I have a request. I have the ability to equip another artifact, although it seems I have nothing in my possession that I can wear. Do any of you have something I could borrow for some part of this quest?"

"Aye, glad to hear that, mister Unth'or. If you're looking for spare equipment, you're welcome to borrow these Pugilist's Gloves of mine for the duration of our venture. Should help you to hit a bit harder."

legionaire.png

"It is just West of Charis, Vir. It is the next peninsula over."

"What kind of welcome should we be expecting? By the looks of it, we've got the army on our side; but what about the people themselves? We gonna have to lay low?"

Haldor hands Xander the gloves.

Party:

copy_of_pict0550.jpg

34 year old male human Nord. Level 272/3 Shaman. *Immune to Stunned, Fragile and Blinded* *Party Leader*

Ether: 37/37 (Base 5, +26 Level Increase, +1 Additional, +4 from Ethereal Cloak)

Equipment: Zoot er Isen (WP:15, Ice and Light Elemental) Ethereal Cloak (SP:+2, +4 Ether, Protects from Blindness), Scarlet Hood (+4 Power, Protects from Stunning), Heavy Armour (SP:+5, Protects from Fragility).

Inventory: Heavy Metal Rod (WP:12, Water Elemental), Dualis Sceptre (WP: 8, Dual-Striking), Bear Claw Gloves (WP:8, SP:+2), Sickle Claw Knife (WP:12), Shovel, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Diamond of Thoric (Empty), Bluehood's Aquamarine (Empty), Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep, Reptillian Scale, Health Core (x2), Potion (x4), Remedy (x5), Venom, Pheonix Esscence, Tonic, Smelling Salts, Mead.

Equipment: Dawnbreaker (WP:13, Light), Sticky Gloves , Heavy Armour (SP5 protects from Fragile)

Inventory: Bedroll, Potion, Nostrum x3, Sylvania's Cowl(grants Animal Talk to Wearer), Phoenix Essence, Throwing Dagger (WP: 6), Combrys (WP:15, consecutive successful strikes raise Combry's WP by 1, unsuccessful strikes drop it to it's base WP), Spiked Club (WP:10, Earth), Staff of Frog Paladin (WP6, Grants Amphibianoc's Blessing).

21-year-old female human Assassin

Level 18.5

Health: 30/30 (7+16+5+1)

Gold: 452

Equipment: Explosive Handcannon (WP:8/16 to Rock Monsters), Sticky Gloves( Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up)), Magic Viper Skin (accessory, heals 1 health to wearer each round of battle, unless knocked out)

Inventory: Top Hat (WP: 14. 50% Stun chance, retrievable), Sylph Shuriken (WP:12, wind- and light-elemental, retrievable), Dagger (WP:10), Grand Potion, 2 Phoenix Essences, 3 Venoms, Deadly Venom, 5 Nostrums, 1 Remedy, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Death Progg Claw, Trial Brew, Rito Feather (consumable, grants the hastened- and blessed-effects upon use for one battle), Heavy Shield (SP 5), Gold Locket(Worth 50 Gold)

photo-4353.jpgXander Unth'or (posades)

Level 30 *Natural Respite* *Immune to Blindness and Fragile and Weakened* *Favours Beast and Aquatic Monsters* *Earns Triple Experience*

Power: 49 (26+19+2+2)

Health: 43/43 (8+25+6)

Gold: 156

Equipment: Precision Bow (WP:19; all 'Aim's become 'Hit's), Hunter's Quiver of Marksmanship (WP:2 to a bow, allows the hunter to favor two types at the same time; protects from blindness-effect), Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect), Medal of Glory (Wearer gains triple experience, accessory), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 Power, Protects from Weakening)

Inventory: Pongcanis Club (WP:8), Enigmatic Hammer (WP:3), Electro Gear (Wearer deals and is immune to lightning elemental damage, accessory), Aquamarine (Water), Topaz (Lightning) 3 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 5 Remedies, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Venom, Deadly Venom, Skeleton Decoy, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Bones, 5 Dragon Scales, 1 Mead, 1 Level-Up Mushroom, Chicken Drumstick (Permant HP increase by 1), Seventh Heaven

"What kind of welcome should we be expecting? By the looks of it, we've got the army on our side; but what about the people themselves? We gonna have to lay low?"

legionaire.png

"I am not sure. I shall get the information for you from Brutus."

With that, the party ready, sails to Laticum. The soldier leads the party to a large city- the capital, called Laticum also. He stops outside the wall, where another armored man appears. He looks very wise and experianced.

img_4181.jpg

brutus.png

"Ave, heroes! I am Brutus. I will tell you everything."

legionaire.png

"Vir, the heroes have asked if they should lay low, as they don't know what the people think of Julio. I could not provide an answer, so I ask you."

brutus.png

"Ah yes. Most of the army, generals, and politicians are on our side. I am unsure about the populus. The masses did vote him in after all, so I'd suggest laying low. We don't want our plot to be foiled. Anyways, let's start with some history. There were 4 of us in the same campaign. Me, Julio, Antony, and Aurellius. We were great friends, we defeated many barbaric rebels serving together. Julio was more of the leader in the group, and I was like his tactical advisor. Antony maintained the legions discipline, and hahaha, Aurellius just wanted to fight. Though since we conquered that land, we went our seperate ways. I'm sure they're all somewhere in Laticum, but I hope they will help. That's when Julio came here as a politician, and seized power. He looks like your average leader, but once his term ends, he will not leave. I know his ambitions. I can not get to him, he hides in a guarded part of the palace, which is nearly impossible to get in. No one is as skilled as the Praetorian Guard. They are heavily armed and trained and wear the royal color of purple. Therefor, us plotters have come up with a plan. We need a group of people who they don't know we have connections to to go inside. The guards will only let people in who have a certain reputation with the masses. You will need to go about Laticum building a reputation and completing tasks. A total of 3. Here is a map to help you navigate, Antony and Aurellius are somewhere here, and I may be able to give you a task as well, I'll be at the palace if you need anything or would like a look around. I must go now, bye."

map.jpg

legionaire.png

"The palatium is the palace if you were unaware. Good luck. Just say where you wish to go."

"I say the forum. See if they have any weapons or amor that can benefit us, maybe find someone to help there, before heading to the colosseum. Nothing gets the masses excited like a bit of bloodshed."

Haldor nods his head respectfully.

"Thank you, Brutus, we will not fail you."

He then turns around to face the other heroes, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

"Better get started then, eh? Looks as though we're dealing with a bloke that's let power go to his head, got some nice guards on him and won't let nobody come near enough to cave in his skull. Should be fun."

The nord takes hold of the map provided by Brutus and takes a long, careful look at the various locations in the city.

"Right... I reckon that we'd be best off checking out the forum before we do anything else. Forums are places where the wise men talk, right? I can't think of a better place to begin our quest."

He pauses.

"Is there anything worth seeing at the wall, Brutus? If not, we should probably get going. The forum first, if you're all happy with that."

"Is there anything worth seeing at the wall, Brutus? If not, we should probably get going. The forum first, if you're all happy with that."

brutus.png

"Not really. We just get constant barbarian attacks. Otherwise the guard duty is pretty boring up there. Besides, you need special authorization to go up there."

The party heads down to the forum. It is just a long street, continuing down some way. There is also buildings and people on the street, which were open to go inside and talk to. A bum sits in the middle, and two guards stand in front of a building with a metal grate beside it, blocking an alley.

img_3901.jpg

Party:

copy_of_pict0550.jpg

Inventory: Heavy Metal Rod (WP:12, Water Elemental), Dualis Sceptre (WP: 8, Dual-Striking), Bear Claw Gloves (WP:8, SP:+2), Sickle Claw Knife (WP:12), Shovel, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Diamond of Thoric (Empty), Bluehood's Aquamarine (Empty), Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep, Reptillian Scale, Health Core (x2), Potion (x4), Remedy (x5), Venom, Pheonix Esscence, Tonic, Smelling Salts, Mead.

21-year-old female human Assassin *Lucky*

Level 18.5

Health: 30/30 (7+16+5+1)

Gold: 452

Equipment: Explosive Handcannon (WP:8/16 to Rock Monsters), Sticky Gloves( Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up)), Magic Viper Skin (accessory, heals 1 health to wearer each round of battle, unless knocked out)

Inventory: Top Hat (WP: 14. 50% Stun chance, retrievable), Sylph Shuriken (WP:12, wind- and light-elemental, retrievable), Dagger (WP:10), Grand Potion, 2 Phoenix Essences, 3 Venoms, Deadly Venom, 4 Nostrums, 1 Remedy, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Death Progg Claw, Trial Brew, Rito Feather (consumable, grants the hastened- and blessed-effects upon use for one battle), Heavy Shield (SP 5), Gold Locket(Worth 50 Gold)

photo-4353.jpgXander Unth'or (posades)

Level 30 *Natural Respite* *Immune to Blindness and Fragile and Weakened* *Favours Beast and Aquatic Monsters* *Earns Triple Experience*

Power: 49 (26+19+2+2)

Health: 43/43 (8+25+6)

Gold: 156

Equipment: Precision Bow (WP:19; all 'Aim's become 'Hit's), Hunter's Quiver of Marksmanship (WP:2 to a bow, allows the hunter to favor two types at the same time; protects from blindness-effect), Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect), Medal of Glory (Wearer gains triple experience, accessory), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 Power, Protects from Weakening)

Inventory: Pongcanis Club (WP:8), Enigmatic Hammer (WP:3), Electro Gear (Wearer deals and is immune to lightning elemental damage, accessory), Aquamarine (Water), Topaz (Lightning) 3 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 5 Remedies, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Venom, Deadly Venom, Skeleton Decoy, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Bones, 5 Dragon Scales, 1 Mead, 1 Level-Up Mushroom, Chicken Drumstick (Permant HP increase by 1), Seventh Heaven

"Is it me, or does the alley way look like something is happening there? Also, we should check the building without the guards, see if we can get any jobs from there."

Xander turns to Haldor, both walking towards the forum: "Thank you, I'll keep these safe," he says, adjusting the gloves on his hands.

"Any of Romulus's suggestions sound fine to me, and it might be wise to start a conversation with the man with the beard. Living on the streets, I'd imagine he'd have heard a passing conversation or two..."

Edited by posades

"We could distract the guards while one of us scouts that building they're guarding."

Wow, awesome scene, Captain!

"Before we start making any serious plans, perhaps we ought to see what the locals are thinking."

Haldor makes his way over to the tramp sitting crossed-legged in the middle of the street. He drops a coin into the man's lap as he does so.

"Hail, stranger. Me and my friends here are travelling mercenaries, I was wondering if you would be able to tell us what's what in the city. Who's in charge, what kind of bloke he is, that kind of thing."

Romulus pulls Mizuki aside. "We won't want to even attempt to break in to that place. It isn't a house. It's a base for the watchmen, guards of the city and the firefighters. They are known as vigils."

Edited by TheBoyWonder

"Did you ever think that something inside that building could aid us in finishing our tasks ?"

"Possibly, but your suggestion sounded eerily like trying to break in. I suggest we talk to the guards and not try to lure them away. "

Haldor makes his way over to the tramp sitting crossed-legged in the middle of the street. He drops a coin into the man's lap as he does so.

"Hail, stranger. Me and my friends here are travelling mercenaries, I was wondering if you would be able to tell us what's what in the city. Who's in charge, what kind of bloke he is, that kind of thing."

QM Note: Sorry for slightly different person, this is the closest picture I have for one. :blush:

fisherman.jpg

"Uh, thank you. You mercenaries eh? You work for Julio? He said he wanted to help the poorer folk. Though we've all been waiting for some. That's why we voted for Julio, and his vast experience in leadership. You wanna know what's what? There is a tavern and an inn behind you. Next to that is the Town Watch, and farther down the street is a few more warehouses, shops, and merchants."

Wow, awesome scene, Captain!

QM Note: Thanks, and TheBoyWonder- :thumbup: for the vigil catch.

OOC: I have an interest in Ancient Rome, and Shakespeare's Julius Caesar so I know a few bits.

"Merchants normally have errands they need someone to do, and taverns are a good source of rumours. "