Not sure if I should have started a new thread, but I built the 42009 and am just about done performing the 42009S modifications to motorize all functions using sbrick. This is my first technic build as an adult and it was very enjoyable. The drive motor is a L-motor and it works great on flat hard surfaces but unfortunately I have a lot of carpet at my house and it would be great if I could get the crane to drive well on carpet. Would replacing the L with a XL help? Would using 2 x L combined using a differential be any better? Should I just accept the fact that it just won’t drive well on carpet? I would appreciate any thoughts or advice from more experienced builders and modders.

Not too thick, it actually moves ok without the crane structure. I am still in the process of modding it and haven't tested driving it with the crane structure attached yet, but I imagine the added weight will be too much.

You might have to accept what you already know. It might not drive well on carpet... Even with another, more powerful motor. One thing to remember is backlash from axles made of plastic. Even if the motors are super powerful because of the resistance of the carpet will cause the axles to bend which will create backlash.....i.e. very jerky movements

For this heavy crane the XL for drive is definitely better! But the carpet issue will still remain. Reasons have already been explained..

I'm assembling the parts for this exquisite beauty and would like to use an sbrick to control it. Are there any instructions on what modifications need to be made in order to install the sbrick?

Here are the instructions for the 42009S, be sure to read through the comments section too.

https://social.sbrick.com/wiki/view/pageId/18/slug/42009s

I just attached the crane structure and it will drive if I give it a little push to start off. More importantly, the crane functions work great with sbrick. The next time I order from Lego, I'll pick up a XL motor to try out.

Hi all,

Bought the 42009 a few weeks ago but found a design on ebay for a 9-axle crane.

So was wondering if people around here already built that crane. Already have the needed 6000+ parts,

Can not really find any thoughts of this build.

Hi. I just bought and built the 42009 last weekend and despite some of the shortcomings I've read about it, I'm still very happy with it!

However, I just learned about this "Ultimate" version that will fully motorize it with RC functions, which has greatly piqued my interest.

I got a few questions:

1) Can anyone confirm if the Additional Parts list on Jurgen's site is accurate? I read a couple of comments saying either some parts were missing, misrepresented, or didn't have the right amount.

2) Are the building instructions on his site also accurate? Similar to above, I read that some people encountered building errors.

3) Can I use 4 v1 IR receivers? I don't think I can find any v2 receivers close to where I live.

Thanks!

Hi. I just bought and built the 42009 last weekend and despite some of the shortcomings I've read about it, I'm still very happy with it!

However, I just learned about this "Ultimate" version that will fully motorize it with RC functions, which has greatly piqued my interest.

I got a few questions:

1) Can anyone confirm if the Additional Parts list on Jurgen's site is accurate? I read a couple of comments saying either some parts were missing, misrepresented, or didn't have the right amount.

2) Are the building instructions on his site also accurate? Similar to above, I read that some people encountered building errors.

3) Can I use 4 v1 IR receivers? I don't think I can find any v2 receivers close to where I live.

Thanks!

I used rebrickable for parts and I don't recall having a problem. Where do you see the use of two V2 IR receivers? When I built it, it was four regular IR receivers and rebrickable has the same.

I used rebrickable for parts and I don't recall having a problem. Where do you see the use of two V2 IR receivers? When I built it, it was four regular IR receivers and rebrickable has the same.

Okay thanks for confirming! I actually saw the mention of the v2 receivers in the comments section of rebrickable. Some were saying that the v1 receivers wouldn't have enough power or something for the crane functions.

Okay thanks for confirming! I actually saw the mention of the v2 receivers in the comments section of rebrickable. Some were saying that the v1 receivers wouldn't have enough power or something for the crane functions.

I never noticed any issues with the crane.

Shucks, I was comparing the instructions for the Ultimate VS the original instructions and I just realized now that modding the 42009 to the Ultimate will require an almost complete disassembly. I was hoping that I didn't have to take it apart down to the very first square frame...

Newbie with his first question here.

Did anybody tried to use the servo motor (88004) with the steering of Jurgens´s Ultimate version?

I would like to have the behavior of resetting steering in the middle with my SBrick setup.

I finished my crane ultimate today and it works great. Top work of Jurgen !

On 10/26/2014 at 12:29 AM, therealjustin said:

I made a few small improvements last night to my 42009. The rear superstructure has been raised and extended by one stud so as to match the front cabin height, and it now sits even with the boom.

15627717402_3e282fa20b_b.jpg

15440876947_4b302feffb_b.jpg

this looks much bether !!!!!!!  where did you raised the superstructure?

On 12/29/2019 at 8:23 AM, curakar said:

this looks much bether !!!!!!!  where did you raised the superstructure?

I added extra liftarms around the rear, to make it level with the operator cabin and boom. I have also changed a few other things since then like replacing all visible red 2L axles, and I added a safety cage on top of the superstructure.

Has anyone tried adding the new 15L actuators to this set? Perhaps there is not enough space? It is a shame that the boom on 42009 doesn't connect closer to the rear like on the real thing, but the gearbox is the issue there I suppose.

Edited by therealjustin

7 hours ago, therealjustin said:

Has anyone tried adding the new 15L actuators to this set? 

I didn't but I'm sure you cannot be able to lower the boom fully with them.
You'll have to edit a boom a little. Nothing is impossible.

I recently built the MKII from the online instructions using generic parts from my collection. It was a fun set to build, but it was even more fun once I was done modding it!

I added my quasi-hobby motor setup to drive the middle axle and steer the other four axles, making it a very fast RC mod, clocking in at roughly 10 km/h!

It was definitely interesting to control with the steering, and would roll over in corners if taken too quickly. Here's a video of this quick, goofy, little Mod: