Some opening to see inside and a few yellow beams and panels for decoration.

image.jpg

A better butt, more realistic i think, espesially the lowest bar such as could be for road safety.

image.jpg

Also i made some changes in steering in order to achieve for angle in turns. I have removed the pins with balls in front steering axle and also i made a replace in some parts that "hits" wheels in maximum turn.

image.jpg

update: here you are the final 6 axles grove 6400 with the extended boom sit on top, making this crane heavier than i expected and much difficult to drive, and caused me some time to fix the gearing for drive and steer. I'm happy with it now :)

_DSC0755.JPG

_DSC0749.JPG

_DSC0751.JPG

I have finally find the instructions. But can you tell me where i can find the parts list? I have find a list, but i dont think that this is te right one. I have buy 2 42009 sets, so now i want to know witch parts i need more. I hope you can tell me...

I am still looking for the instructions and have not yet found them. Can anyone tell me where I can find them and what software I will need to view the instructions with, such as LDD or Ldraw. This is a work of genius.

i have download that file. But in LDD i can not create the buildinginstructions or the part list. I now have found a 136 pages building instruction of the Groev Crane, But there is no parts list includid. i have 2 sets of the original lego crane 42009 but i will need more extra parts. The question is witch parts..?? I hope you can tell me of the instruction i have is the right one, and where i can find the part list.

Gr. JDL1967

I´d like to ask, if someone try or at least think about another big MODing of this beast. And it is carrier with x-style outriggers. Somethig like have the biggest mobile crane of Liebherr or Demag.

I now have found a 136 pages building instruction of the Groev Crane, But there is no parts list includid.

Gr. JDL1967

The 136 pages instructions are them I've made from the gerger's Grove GMK6400. And there are 3 separate part lists included: carrier, superstructure, RC unit. See link above posted by efferman (post Nb. 261) The LDRAW file is available too.

Greetings

Alex

I am ready to start ordering parts for this beautiful GMK 6400. As a starting point, would it be a good idea to order the Lego 42009 set and then continue ordering the parts from that point?

Kind Regards,

Stephen Walters

I am ready to start ordering parts for this beautiful GMK 6400. As a starting point, would it be a good idea to order the Lego 42009 set and then continue ordering the parts from that point?

Kind Regards,

Stephen Walters

The GMK 6400 contains 3503 parts with an average BrickLink value (used parts) of $930.

If you substract the contents of the 42009 crane 'only' 1385 parts with a BL value of $600 remain.

So if you can find a 42009 for less than $330 it is a good approach.

Note: 544 parts of 42009 are not used in the Grove and can go in your spare parts bin.

Of the remaining $600 the Power Functions make up $270.

If you have these already 'only' $330 extra investment remains.

Many, MANY thanks, Theo. Your help has been invaluable.

Kind Regards

You're welcome!

You can perform all those calculations yourself by installing BrickStock from http://brickstock.patrickbrans.com/

Using BrickStock you can load inventories of MOCs and import sets.

You then can calculate the BL values and subtract sets from each other to find out how many parts you miss.

You can even export the remainder to your BL Wanted List.

I have searched the net a bit but I haven't been able to find exactly how a boom extends in real life. it can't be a "thread" in real life :classic: maybe chain or similar. I think, but I'm guessing that each section is extended using internal hydraulic actuator, most of the time, rather than racked gears. there are hydraulic actuators that can be compressed into themselves for several steps. most tipped beds have this solution.

at the same time I have actually not found any proof that a real crane extends one section at a time, or all sections simultaneously. I really can't tell yet!

Real cranes extend the boom in different ways. In the old days there was a single hydraulic cylinder that extended the first section, additional section where extended by steel wires and pulleys, just like the Lego cranes. The downside to this is that every section has to have the same strength and thus somewhat the same weight if you want to lift something at 20% boom-length.

Modern cranes don’t work like this. They have a very strong base section and use weaker/thinner/lighter steel for the additional sections. If you want to lift something heavy at 20% boom-length it’s better to fully extend the first section and leave sections 3,4,5,6 retracted. To achieve this there is a single hydraulic cylinder inside the boom which extends all sections. Once a single section is extended it is locked with pins, then the cylinder travels inside the boom to the next section and extends it. Once that section is locked in place the cylinder goes to the next section. Rinse and repeat…

The successful creation of this concept is quite difficult. Old cranes fully depend on cables with a single cylinder whereas new cranes have fully independent sections with a single walking cylinder. Everything in between is a ‘hybrid’ where the top one or two sections are linked together by wire and pulleys while the bottom sections are independently extendable.

Edited by Jelmer

Hi all I have been reading this thread with great interest, I have this model and made a minor changes to it I think you may want to add to your versions. Unfortunately I don't have many photos yet but it's easy to explain, it's to do with the hoist rope, currently it is operating on 2 falls (a fall = how many times the rope goes from cat head to hook block) I have increased mine to 4 falls thus reducing the strain on the hoist drum.

Please excuse the snowglobe ballast.

Another possibility for someone to try adding, the crane ability to build it's own ballast. Modern cranes load their own ballast onto what's called a castle situated on the bed of the crane once all the ballast is loaded the crane slews round and picks up the castle and ballast,watch this video to see what I mean

btw I am on the back of the trailer the ballast is being loaded onto lol

Hi all I have been reading this thread with great interest, I have this model and made a minor changes to it I think you may want to add to your versions. Unfortunately I don't have many photos yet but it's easy to explain, it's to do with the hoist rope, currently it is operating on 2 falls (a fall = how many times the rope goes from cat head to hook block) I have increased mine to 4 falls thus reducing the strain on the hoist drum.

Please excuse the snowglobe ballast.

Another possibility for someone to try adding, the crane ability to build it's own ballast. Modern cranes load their own ballast onto what's called a castle situated on the bed of the crane once all the ballast is loaded the crane slews round and picks up the castle and ballast,watch this video to see what I mean

btw I am on the back of the trailer the ballast is being loaded onto lol

post-145680-0-01176900-1443089430_thumb.jpg

did anyone make the original 42009 in LLD??? and is the file somewhere i can download it??

Sure

I´d like to ask, if someone try or at least think about another big MODing of this beast. And it is carrier with x-style outriggers. Somethig like have the biggest mobile crane of Liebherr or Demag.

There are many modded 42009s. Just google or youtube it. I have done my own...pics are below and in sig. block. I also tried to make it very functional, with lots of lifting power..... although that is a work in progress. I tried once already to lift the 8070 and failed. Not enough power. Here in a bit I hope to get around to including an XL motor in the super structure so it can lift the 8070 (right now it only has a L motor). It has the robustness.... although my version could not lift it it holds it well.

14008655672_DISPLAY.jpg

14008649426_DISPLAY.jpg

Here are some other information on other mods on not just the 42009 but 8421 as well. People are typically crazy about modifying the cranes. They are lots of fun.

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=84820

And...... IMO one of the best crane builders out there is M-Longer. Perhaps not modifications of the 42009but pretty cool cranes with the x-style outriggers that you speak of.

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=356082

Edited by nerdsforprez

@Nerdsforprez add a few more falls to the hookblock and it will put less strain on the hoist drum, if the boom can take the weight the extra falls will do the heavy lifting. Love the luffer addition too.

Just found this today. Looks like exactly what you are asking about.

Hello. :classic:

Is there any BrickStore .bsx of extra parts for the extended boom?

Thanks for helping a newby.

PauloS