I don't see the problem. If the 12-tooth gears which turns those grey gears, turns the same way, which is logical, it doesn't matter which side the grey gears are on. Unless I misunderstand something.

Me neither. I really doubt if the theory about the opposite idler gears is correct, and in practice I haven't seen any problem whatsoever, not in 8043 and not in 42009. No stress on the LA's and no visible difference in length, so I see no need for any MODs in this area. Looking forward to the extra boom extension MOD from Jurgen though...

For some time I thought the same. However, the theory is correct:

Moving the LA up or down causes it to turn the 20z gear or it will extend or retract the piston. Since it can't turn the 20z gear (as it's connected to a motor) it will extend or retract the piston, causing the 2 pistons to loose their symmetry.

However, in my experience, bracing the gears is more important that having the gears in the same direction. I noticed this on the 8043. When I switched one of the gears on my 8043, performance weakened and grinding-gears-sound appeared. The weight of the boom caused the (switched) gears to slip.

So to get optimal perfornamce: brace the bears and make sure the 20z gears are in the same direction.

I don't get it. Guess I'll have to see it myself when I build my crane when I get it.

I don't get it. Guess I'll have to see it myself when I build my crane when I get it.

Same here. I had built too much of the superstructure when i saw efferman's post that i didn't want to go back and change anything.

The instructions for the Ultimate 42009 are making good progress. Parts 1 (Truck) and 2 (Upperstructure) are ready (in Beta-version)

Now I'm looking for a Beta-instructions-tester: Someone who can build this model on short term and who is willing to check the images and make an error-report.

Of course your name (and website) will be mentioned in the final instructions. And you'll be the first to build this MOD.

If you're interrested, please contact me at info@jurgenstechniccorner.com.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

I've just finished building my 42009 today. I found 2 beams with the wrong color.. The LEGO guide says Dark grey, but in the box was only black beams, so I had to use those for the bumpers front and back.

Hi boerke,

same error as mine? I've used dark grey beams accidentally at the rear outtriggers - dont ask me why, it was late.

Hi boerke,

same error as mine? I've used dark grey beams accidentally at the rear outtriggers - dont ask me why, it was late.

I managed to make all 4 outriggers dark grey. Found out about 10 steps later and had to spend about half an hour switching the dark grey for black.

I shouldn't build so late.. had to reverse a few things while being ahead pages... Lucky for me most of it was in a straight line to stuff the axle back in :-) I will check on my outriggers, which I had obviously made 4x the same.. where 2 should be the other way round. For example.

Ok, 2 people have agreed to be Beta-instruction testers. No need to apply anymore. Thanks !!

Will you announce the additional parts list after testing, so that I can make some preparations?

The parts-list will be published as soon as possible.

I'll be waiting for your instruction. It will be fun building it. By the way I really like your Backhoe V2

s1dwc.jpg

I don't see the problem. If the 12-tooth gears which turns those grey gears, turns the same way, which is logical, it doesn't matter which side the grey gears are on. Unless I misunderstand something.

Look at the picture posted earlier from technic bricks.

Convince youself that if the motor is turned off and you have this LA free and move them up and down one will extend a little bit and the other retract. Okay?

This problem still true when the motor is running and lifts the boom in the assembled model (because the angle to the LAs' fixing point changes). Sure they extend a lot when the boom is raised but the number of revolutions will differ slightly, as when we moved it by hand up and down. The LAs' play (you can move a LA by hand a little bit out and in if you push/drag the piston) makes one of the LAs to do the hard work, where it more easily gets to much so its slip clutch makes it don't do any work. Remember, as the gears connecting the two LAs to there common source of rotation doesn't slip, the second LA won't "catch up" and help with the lifting.

That said, if the gears slip because of insufficient bracing, this doesn't matter because you get less lift power than if they work and the slip clutch is the weakest point (by design and intention).

And, I haven't gotten my 42009 yet and won't have time to build it right away so I can't test it out myself but I understand the theory why it is a problem and hope I could explain it to others.

Thanks for your clear explanation. I understand it well, but haven't really experienced a problem in my 42009. I did notice that in full extension, one LA (I think the left one) has got some play, while the other one is pretty tight. But I don't think this small difference (seems less than 1 mm to me) leads to an imbalance in the work the LA's need to do.

I received the 42009 and the box is a beast! I still have the 8110 NIB and this thing trumps it easily. The weight alone is terrifying! 11 lbs! OMG. I will wait patiently for instructions on the improved version before I open the box!

Looking forward to this, but not looking forward to dismantling my crane to start again!

I understand exactly what you feel. I sure hope these instructions aren't so damn spread out like the original was. It could easily have had half the number of steps if only a few more parts where added per step.

Yes, it will be instructions for the whole thing. I've completely redisigned the insides of the truck and upperstructure, so it was neccesary to make complete instructions.

@ FuzzyBallz: If you have the 42009 box already, why don't you build that ? It's a wonderfull set as it is and it'll make building the Ultimate 42009 easier.

I think I'll need about 2 weeks to complete the instructions. Book 1 and 2 (Truck & upperstructure) are in Beta-testing phase (I've found 2 great beta-testers :wink: ), part 3 (boom) is almost ready for testing.

After that I'll have to make the corrections and parts lists.

Jergen,

I only want to build that monster once, and I want it to be the best iteration of the model. If I have to wait 2 more weeks, then so be it! For now, I'll work on the 8110 that I had stored in the closet for the past year (just like the 9398 until I returned it for the 41999), then work on the VW T1 Van next!

@ FuzzyBallz: If you have the 42009 box already, why don't you build that ? It's a wonderfull set as it is and it'll make building the Ultimate 42009 easier.

I think I'll need about 2 weeks to complete the instructions. Book 1 and 2 (Truck & upperstructure) are in Beta-testing phase (I've found 2 great beta-testers :wink: ), part 3 (boom) is almost ready for testing.

After that I'll have to make the corrections and parts lists.

Juergen... Will your ultimate crane use the original battery box or will you change to the 8878 rechargeable battery? I am debating buying the 8878 battery.. But the $50+ price makes it expensive.

I am about to order parts for the ultimate 8043 excavator which hopefully I will start building by next weekend...