Sign in to follow this  
kabel

Thorshaven II - Storage and Merchant House

This is the second part of my Thorshaven layout. It's still missing the one or the other brick but I was hoping you wouldn't mind. On the left you can see a typical hanseatic, I mean Mitgardian storage house made entirely of bricks. The house on the right is owned by a richt merchant and it contains a shop for all sort of good on the ground level.

9420928341_2b127f2fa3_c.jpg

9423694716_93b4b94406_c.jpg

photo of modules one and two connected

9423700398_4e613eca95_c.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality today. I hope you still like it though!

This looks really good! You really have improved your building skills and I really like some of your unique arangements of different building techniques. :thumbup:

Great addition to your layout! The brick house has a lot of really nice details: the upper story doors/windows for receiving supplies, the crane, and the brickwork :thumbup:

I also like the stone and wood building: The woodwork in the shop section is superb and I like the offset of the third story :thumbup: Keep up the good work :classic:

The red building looks incredibly good! I would never imagine that a red house can look so great! The 1x2 plate technique is very clever ;)

The whole scene has such a unique atmosphere , I love it very much! (I hope I will have more time and insipation in the future to build something of my own again.)

Wonderful build, I especially like the house to the right. The left one is great as well, but maybe a tad too much "standard red" to match the rest of your wonderful color palette.

Great work :thumbup: :thumbup: I really like the two houses :wink:

Wonderful, I love the red house, amazing effect with the plates. They look great altogether too.

Great work and happy building :laugh:

Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback guys, and those of you who are going to be in Antwerpen this fall, get to see the whole thing!

@Masa. well improving is why we stayed here for so long, isn't it? Glad we're still having the oportunity to become better and better castle mocers!

@yooha: actually wegde09 proves with every moc that you don't really need that many bricks, so get building for real again!

@Gideon: dark red is kinda expensive, and I'm constantly running out of it. But go check out some old brick walls, I'm sure you'll find bricks colored standard red :wink:

@timmy: I'm not 100% convinced of Lego's brick brick, that's why I'm still building brick buildings like that.

@LD: kinda cool how we all developed our personal style, isn't it. Once you have participated in GoH long enough, you can tell the builder without knowing the name. Hm, sort of idea for a challenge ...

Nice build Kabel, it looks very good next to the other one :thumbup:

@LD: kinda cool how we all developed our personal style, isn't it. Once you have participated in GoH long enough, you can tell the builder without knowing the name. Hm, sort of idea for a challenge ...

Great idea, everybody has to build someone else's style :look::classic:

Stunning! Love the color combinations, they seems to work very well. Also nice job on the wood behind the arch, looks really good. The two modules combined look even better!

@Gideon: dark red is kinda expensive, and I'm constantly running out of it. But go check out some old brick walls, I'm sure you'll find bricks colored standard red :wink:

I know that dark red is more rare, but as an observer I don't have to factor in such petty constraints as brick cost :wink:

I would by the way love to have a brick wall with any colors anywhere nearby, still can't understand why TLG won't at least open a store in Stockholm (which at least would be within 250 km)...

Anyway, it's a wonderful build and I'm very much looking forward to more modules!

thanks guys,

as for me and colors, I grew up in a medieval city called the "Colorful city in the Harz Mountains", with lots of brightly painted half timbered houses. If I need inspiration I just go through the pics of my home town!

neu-13_04.jpg

11450964_Marktplatz_Wernigerode_HB.jpg

Edited by kabel

I think I really want to visit your home town, that is beautiful!

The MOC is outstanding too. I like how the modules are coming together, and I really like the shop!

That brown house is just a total win for me! So few colours yet so detailed and beautiful! Love that! The red house is also great but that brown house....mmm! =)

thanks guys, I'm now onto modules 4 and 5, module 3 as almost done, so stay tuned for further updates on this project!

@gravgunner &skh: yeah its a nice town, I don't life there anymore though. However, my parents still do and I visit regularily for inspiartion.

@dg: I've sort of made it a rule for myself not to use too many different colors on one building, so I'm glad it seems to work

The pictures of the town feels more Avalonian, but your build feels more Varlyrian. Maybe it's just me!

Anywho, I like the work on the bottom half of the merchant building the most, very cool looking. The two builds look very nice together. Good work!

Zcerberus; how many different type of wheels do you know? :classic: in the end there are only so many ways things can be build(especially with the limits we set ourselves and LEGO inherently gave us) so it is only natural that some pieces look or feel much a like. Asides of that discussion, a porttown tends to follow the most efficient designs gathered from all-over, so perhaps the 'designer/owner' wanted it to be build that way :classic:

but that is all moot, this is a very nice build and I cannot wait until all the other parts :grin:

Funny discussion you guys. I've actually always thought of Northern Germany as Mitgardia, since around 1450 (the timeframe we once gave ourselves) the Hanseatic League more or less united everything around the Baltic Sea, from Northern Germany, into Poland, Lithuania, Sweden etc. So what I'm trying to emulate here is the so called "Brick Gothic" a style of architecture that was used in most Hanseatic cities. In short, what you see here is basically North German in varous ways. South German, and of course British/Irish (Avalonian) half timber frame houses look quite a bit different.

On the other hand, I would consider Varlyria Mediterrenean and the only reason why my Mitgardian trade mission was also build in the brick style is because it was meant as a Mitgardian (Hanseatic) Kontor in Varlyria.

So what I'm building right now is a port town in southwestern Mitgardia, which is very close to Avalonia (haven't choosen a location yet tough) and of course resembles some Varlyrian influences as well.

I really like it, one of your best builds, all in general looks great. :classic: