I guess it's pretty much for show, but it looks amazing! While I really don't like that negative caster, the gear change mechanism is ingenious! :thumbup:

TLH

Yeha the caster doesn't make it look great. It helps with playabilty don't have to manually switch those gears as I used to whenever I wanted to be faster vs climb stuff.

In theory the oposite should happen because of the bigger diameter of the PP tires...

Unfortunately it is not that easy ...

If the motors run at constant RPM, no matter what the load is, then putting the PP tires will cause the vehicle to run faster.

However, the torque available from the motors goes as 1/RPM i.e. (motors 'should' deliver constant power =RPM×Torque=Constant).

There are multiple 'noise factors' in such experiment/reasoning: The PP tires are heavier, may have different footprint/friction/inertia ... As such, it is rather difficult to do very 'clean' comparison between standard 4999 and PP tires.

I recall on the actual Power-Puller, one 9V motor was not enough to move the PP, so the instructions showed how to add a second motor, and have both run in parallel.

If the motors run at constant RPM, no matter what the load is....

?????? Not sure where you get that statement. The motor tries to run at constant at rpm and draws more current as a function of load, but it certainly slows down as a function of load as well. It is easily demonstrated. There is a such thing as stall torque after all, and the path to stall is a ramp function.

I like the idea of a colour change, will cost about 86 euros to change the colour (85 bricks), used this ldd to make a bricklink parts list at rebrickable, lego.com is cheaper but I doubt they will have all the parts needed.

I used the bricks that i have, some compromise are made (like for the 11x1 liftarms, i don't have so much in yellow). For the rear license plate i used the 2x4 white tile with write "New York" taken from the magnet i buy at LEGO shop in Rockefeller center :tongue:

Better late than never, so I just finished my 41999 mod :blush:

First goal was to add wheels with planetary gears and use buggy motors instead of common L motors.

Result was not so impressive as I imagine. High speed, but poor climbing abilities (especially due to buggy motor placement). Driving on snow was terrible experience for me :tongue:

9zPoWqiW62o_zps368eadd5.jpg

So I decided to make a version with tracks. Buggy motors was replaced by 4x L motors, so this time there was enough torque :wink: . Practical tests have shown that such chassis has the right to life, although it needs some improvements.

DSCF9454_zpsc13a140f.jpg

DSCF9462_zpsa6d7a9c9.jpg

Hope you like it!

Edited by SilenWin

That looks pretty awesome, do you have the possibility of shooting a video of it in the snow? :thumbup:

That looks pretty awesome, do you have the possibility of shooting a video of it in the snow? :thumbup:

Edit: just added working videos

Edited by SilenWin

DrJB, on 05 February 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

If the motors run at constant RPM, no matter what the load is....

?????? Not sure where you get that statement. The motor tries to run at constant at rpm and draws more current as a function of load, but it certainly slows down as a function of load as well. It is easily demonstrated. There is a such thing as stall torque after all, and the path to stall is a ramp function.

That statement by itself is NOT complete, you need to read the second part 'however ...' to make sense.

Typically most motors have a torque-rpm curve i.e., the rpm decreases as the load increases. Not sure if such curve is available for the PF motors ... (philo?)

Where I got that from is? Well, graduate courses in Multi-Domain System Dynamics and Control, such as THIS

Edited by DrJB

Hi!

I really like the look of this model, but always missed the option to switch the lights off (to save some torque) and the rear lights of course :)

So I made it... Hope you will like it.

01_s.jpg

02_s.jpg

03_s.jpg

04_s.jpg

05_s.jpg

06_s.jpg

07_s.jpg

09_s.jpg

10_s.jpg

11_s.jpg

Perhaps add to this topic its own version of the modification 41999 :) Police Rancher. Of course the body of my work at the other, but the basis is still the same Boss :)zF1y5QmcvHA.jpg

gBG9cwZyEUk.jpg

more information here

Guys, I recently gave in and ordered a Boss for me :blush:. Does anyone have the parts list to transform the chassis/undercarriage in black or gray?

Guys, I recently gave in and ordered a Boss for me :blush:. Does anyone have the parts list to transform the chassis/undercarriage in black or gray?

Just check part list for 41999 and change pretty much every red part to to desired colour.

Darn, everything? :look:

It's not that bad. Almost all of the red parts are liftarms.

You can hide the red 2-axles in the model, so unless you're very particular about not wanting any red peeking out from beneath the connectors then you don't need to replace those. Apart from that almost all the red parts are liftarms as Jim has said.

I changed everything I could to black myself, including the 2-axles! But my 41999's bottom half still isn't fully black because the frames are only available in LBG. Still looks good to me though.

Here's a list of the red parts you will have to trade for black or gray to have a more uniform undercarriage (the second number is how many of that part you have to order):

post-22168-0-53144400-1434973475_thumb.jpg

Edited by Werlu Ulcur