Since many of us became owners of 41999 BOSS crawler, this thread became actual.

2013_%2525208_%2525201_%2525209_45.jpg

99% modifications will be about body design and color, since there is nothing new we can do with chassis.

I am waiting for pickups "El camino" style, wagons (like effe mentioned), new lowered chassis and other mods.

I will update first post from time to time to make database of mods with link to posts.

May be we can make our unofficial challenge with voting? What do you think?

I have an idea what we can do with the best models from voting:) thats a surprise.

First we have to,fill this topic with cool creations;)

Edited by rm8

Chromed black "bad to the bone"

Better photos later...

Edited by rm8

What would be the rules about including of original 41999 bricks? I presume that as long as you are including some exclusive parts, you are in. Because some might build their model and use only two 41999 parts. Would that be legal?

Edited by madjelly

What would be the rules about including of original 41999 bricks? I presume that as long as you are including some exclusive parts, you are in. Because some might build their model and use only two 41999 parts. Would that be legal?

Of course you can make Boss in other colours with different types of chassises and body including limousines:) but it should be from Boss family. I think boonet, front and doors have to be the same with minor updates. Other parts can be modified.

Edited by rm8

@ rm8: It may be many weeks before many participants will get their 41999 Crawler. Any chance that you can post the PDF Building Instructions somewhere, so that we can get started now?

I will probably build an orange coloured body and a standard height chassis to look like the General Lee, it was one of my favorites when gowing up in the 70s

I'll mod once I've built the original and appreciated it.

One question why did it end up with a white wing surely black would be more representative of actual cars

I think I'm going to make a second chassis at a standard height, not sure if this will be r/c or a non powered model with engine etc

I don't even own 9398, and I really want to modify it. Can somebody post a link to the LDD file?

I don't even own 9398, and I really want to modify it. Can somebody post a link to the LDD file?

Or maybe a link to the PDF?

If you want to find an LDD file, this probably isn't the best place to look. Go over to the LEGO Digital Designer forum. One of the Key Topics is "Official Sets made in LDD". If anyone has posted it, that's where you'll find it. If it is not there, you will probably have to make it yourself. In this case, you are in luck. You can find it right here.

Didnt know where to ask my question, but this thread seems the most appropriate.

The exclusive metallic parts on 41999 are painted or molded from metallic plastic. I need to know so I take care of them properly.

And i wonder why i didn't get it yet :(

The chrome looks fantastic!!

They are not painted, lego never paints their parts.

I think they are painted. I have some scratches at front bull bar. Take care of your details.

Oh, sorry. I'm surprised though, I just don't think of that as something Lego would use... :sceptic:

That's how you chrome things, I am not sure they could achieve a similar result with tinted plastic.

They are not painted, lego never paints their parts.

The metallic silver parts are painted. They always have been. That's why they are much more common (and cheap) than the chrome parts.

I finished building my Boss last night, and I did several modifications right from the start. Firstly, the red chassis had to go. I replaced all the red and yellow parts with black. I started with the 9398 parts list and bought black versions of all the red parts, but this only got me through the chassis. It turns out there are a lot of red parts in the upper body as well, and they are different than 9398 so I did not have the right parts. After pillaging some of my other models, I got enough black. I like the look, but it is still mottled because there is so much light gray. You can never go all black because many of the parts (like the frames) only come in gray. You could do the whole chassis in gray instead of black though. I did that with my version of the Zonda and liked the effect.

The second thing I did which was most important was change the tires. The balloon tires just don't look right. But with my RC4WD Super Swampers, it looks amazing!

img_0399.jpg

img_0400.jpg

I also thought people might be interested to see what this model looks like next a "real" R/C monster truck. There is a reason that LEGO R/C models don't perform as well as the real thing!

img_0401.jpg

Nice modifications !

But I prefer the version with origins tires.

Edited by MVtechnic

Firstly, the red chassis had to go. I replaced all the red and yellow parts with black. I started with the 9398 parts list and bought black versions of all the red parts, but this only got me through the chassis.

That is exactly what I have in mind.

I already checked against the set-list if I have enough black ones. Exept oly a few 13 beams I have to do dark or light grey I have everything in black.

There are several sets inside my sorting boxes, including one of the MOGs, which is a good source for black beams.

Does it look good with black chassis?

Can you please take some more pictures - e.g. from the bottom...

THANKS