Brainbox

Transformers

Us Toyfair stuff coming out of my earholes and it's so good.

:D

I'm gonna get Sunstreaker, Prowl, Animated Jazz, Animated Blackarachnia, Galvatron and Octan...sorry Tankor. At least.

Oh man, why does this taking so friggin' long. *sing*

Well, considering I can only get the first page of each gallery to work, I've not really looked into anything other than Universe, and I have to say I'm impressed.

Prowl and Sunstreaker I'm definitely getting, and while the Tankor, Galvy and Onslaught are impressive, I'll probably not be getting them. Although you never know.

I'm also gonna get Animated Prowl, and Jazz and Soundwave are pretty nice in a weird sort of way. But how big does Soundwave's guitar need to be? :-D

The only ASSURED buys of mine will be Blackarachnia, Soundwave.

I noticed that the human "Meltdown" character is now a brain-in-a-box / Mr. Freeze type dealie... except he transforms into something much akin to a bike you'd see in a Ghost Rider comic. Don't like his shoulder joints though... seem a little sloppy.

I prefer the custom Powerglide from Jizai toys compared to Hasbro's new plane guy.

This guy NEEDS to be on Takara's payroll:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=...%3Doff%26sa%3DX

Funny thing is, both the new Hasbro guy and this customized G1 Powerglide both look like they stole the head off of Shogun warriors Combattra and ripped his antennae off.

I prefer the custom Powerglide from Jizai toys compared to Hasbro's new plane guy.

This guy NEEDS to be on Takara's payroll:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&am...%3Doff%26sa%3DX

QFT. After seeing Jizai's Powerglide and Octane(Tankor) designs, the Hasbro versions are even more unappealing, as they barely resemble their namesakes. I'd love to see them expand production, maybe become a contractor to a larger known company, and get their stuff out on shelves, at least as models, much like Gundam. As models, we fans could get a very accurate Transformer at a hopefully reasonable price, and Hasbro wouldn't have to worry about Jizai competing against their toyline. It'd be win-win. And too, I don't think models need adhere so much to strict guidelines placed on toys. They're in a different category, so excessively ridiculous American toy safety laws wouldn't affect the designs.

I noticed that the human "Meltdown" character is now a brain-in-a-box / Mr. Freeze type dealie... except he transforms into something much akin to a bike you'd see in a Ghost Rider comic. Don't like his shoulder joints though... seem a little sloppy.

Actually, that's Oil Slick. Wanna know what's really, really, really hilarious about him?

He's a homage to Cy-Kill from Gobots. The line that was the rival of the early Transformers one. I'm going to buy him for that alone

Oh, and about the Jizai toys things, while they're nifty in design, aren't exactly the least expensive toys around. As in, they're fracking expensive to produce. And personally, I prefer Classics Tankor above the Jizai one

EDIT

Just because Transformers fans love doing this stuff...

Well, I've been bitten by the Neo-G1 bug and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations (not classics toys please, already know all about 'em, nor would I like exclusives as suggestions). I'm already thinking I'll get Cybertron Downshift (Wheeljack) and/or Cybertron Smokescreen but I'd like some suggestions for Decepticons. Energon Shockblast is a possibility...

If anyone can help, please do! :-)

General best thing is to pick up a Superlink Wheeljack, as he is obnoxiously Wheeljack, even moreso than Cyb. Downshift. But the Cyb. Downshift is the better mold, its just that Superlink Wheeljack, or En. Downshift, is a much better representation

Other Autobots are Energon Inferno, Cyb. Blurr, En. Arcee, Universe Repungus, Cyb. Metroplex, En. Roadblock, Cyb. Quickmix, Cyb. Breakdown GTS (As Kup), and the greatest named Transformer ever, Movie Big Daddy, who's a repaint of Cyb. Downshift

For the Decepticons, you've got a bit less. En. Shockblast is obvious, and you can get a pretty good squad for Soundwave with the red Cyb. Scrapmetal as Rumble, En. Battle Ravage as Ravage, and Movie Booster 10x as Laserbeak. If you don't want to spend a fair ammount on the Soundwave MP3 player, then go for Cyb. Soundwave instead. For Onslaught, two of the Energon combiner limbs make a fairly good Brawl and Vortex, and Cyb. Swindle is, well, Swindle. There's also Cyb. Runamuck or Runabout, what ever his name is. He homages the one opposite to his name though, which is odd

Edited by Mecheon

General best thing is to pick up a Superlink Wheeljack, as he is obnoxiously Wheeljack, even moreso than Cyb. Downshift. But the Cyb. Downshift is the better mold, its just that Superlink Wheeljack, or En. Downshift, is a much better representation

Other Autobots are Energon Inferno, Cyb. Blurr, En. Arcee, Universe Repungus, Cyb. Metroplex, En. Roadblock, Cyb. Quickmix, Cyb. Breakdown GTS (As Kup), and the greatest named Transformer ever, Movie Big Daddy, who's a repaint of Cyb. Downshift

For the Decepticons, you've got a bit less. En. Shockblast is obvious, and you can get a pretty good squad for Soundwave with the red Cyb. Scrapmetal as Rumble, En. Battle Ravage as Ravage, and Movie Booster 10x as Laserbeak. If you don't want to spend a fair ammount on the Soundwave MP3 player, then go for Cyb. Soundwave instead. For Onslaught, two of the Energon combiner limbs make a fairly good Brawl and Vortex, and Cyb. Swindle is, well, Swindle. There's also Cyb. Runamuck or Runabout, what ever his name is. He homages the one opposite to his name though, which is odd

I have the Cybertron Runamuck. It's based on Runabout, but they didn't have rights to the name. It's a pretty good figure for being a remold of Armada

Sideswipe. For more Decepticons, go with Energon Scorponok for a good powerhouse.

Plus try to pick up the Timelines convention exclusives Ironhide and Ratchet. They're repaints of Energon Tow-line, which could be used for Classics Skids.

For even more Autobots, go with Energon Rodimus for Rodimus Prime, and the Universe release Micromaster Aerialbots.

I've also managed to pick up Movie Stockade. with some paint applications and a few stickers, it could be made into a classics Trailbreaker( at lest I think :-$ ) I mean just look at it!

Movie_Stockade_toy.jpg

Homages On!

Thanks for all the pointers guys. *sweet* I've kind of halted my Transformers buying until Animated and Universe toys come out and to be honest I don't think I'll be buying many new toys at all. I've got so many other things I'd rather buy this year and I'm trying to cut back on buying the 'plastic crack' (including LEGO).

I'm still really enjoying Transformers animated though! Great show.

He's a homage to Cy-Kill from Gobots. The line that was the rival of the early Transformers one. I'm going to buy him for that alone

Ah the Go-Bots. Have you seen how much stick they come under in the recent TF comics, especially Cy-Kill. He's never once been named, but he's been killed several times in both DW and the new (rather good) IDW series. Mostly against Megs actually.

I've got so many other things I'd rather buy this year and I'm trying to cut back on buying the 'plastic crack' (including LEGO).

Tsk. And you call yourself a fan. ;-)

On a side niote, I bought TF: Megs Origin the other week. Personally, I don't think it's quite as good as the main IDW story, but it's still an entertaining read. I'm also looking forward to picking up Spotlights (vol 2) soon, and the Devastation later. Should be good.

Wow, surprised there hasn't been any discussion about BOTCON yet. Taken from Tformers.com:

[quote

ANIMATED

+ Toy launch for Animated toys is June 22.

+ Full licensing program will launch in August when stores reset their toy displays.

+ Deluxe Sentinel Prime, Elite Guard Bumblebee, and Swoop are coming in September 2008. Swoop looks really sweet and has a mace weapon.

+ Leader Ultra Magnus is also coming in September 2008. Images shown depict a very cool-looking figure, as described in the Animated panel. The Hammer does not light up but he does have a transformation feature.

UNIVERSE

+ Universe is not a storyline unto itself. It is a compilation of stories.

+ Universe ultra Silverbolt coming August 2008. Will have sounds in robot and jet including the transformation sound. Gun sounds and Jet sounds too.

+ Universe Ultra Storm Cloud coming in September 2008. Redeco of the Powerglide figure.

+ Universe deluxes Ironhide and Sideswipe are coming October 2008.

+ Ironhide's license plate says Oregon and looks like a modern SUV/Van-type vehicle. He will have a mid-level transformers difficulty

+ Sideswipe is the same mold as Sunstreaker with new hands. The image that is shown on the presentation is the wrong head and the chest plate is not turned around.

+ Universe Legends coming August 2008.

+ Robot Heroes Kickback vs. Ironhide, Thrust vs. Blaster, Megatron vs. Silverbolt, and G2 Megatron and Jazz will arrive in October 2008.

FALL 2008 EXCLUSIVES

+ The San Diego ComicCon 2008-Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive Nemesis Prime, was discussed. The Classics Optimus Prime redeco sports blue windows. A Japanese convention exclusive sister figure will have red windows. (Ed Note: Will probably be offered at Wonderfest or C3X Hobby)

+ Another ComicCon-Hasbro Toy Shop is 6" Titanium War Within Skywarp.

+ Some Wal-Mart off-screen deluxes are Breakaway (Cybertron Hot Shot repaint), Fracture (Classics Mirage repaint), and Crankcase (Cybertron Red Alert repaint). These figures will arrive in September 2008.

+ Target Universe comic packs are coming in November 2008 and will be Dirge and Roadbuster (Cybertron Hot Shot 2 repaint / Cybertron Starscream) and Springer and Ratbat (Cybertron Evac vs Cybertron Sideways). These sets are each packaged with a deluxe figures and a voyager figure as well as a comic.

+ A K-Mart store exclusive Mini-Con 12 pack is coming in September 2008.

+ Toys 'R' Us will be receive 6" Titanium War Within Prowl and Grimlock as exclusives in September 2008.

TRANSFORMERS 25th ANNIVERSARY - 1984-2009

+ 25th anniversary culminates with "Transformers 2."

+ The series will be celebrating all eras of Transformers and not just G1 and will feature all updated, modernized sculpts.

+ Animated will also continue.

+ Thanksgiving release to kick off G1 re-issue of original U.S. version of Optimus Prime with silver roller. Also included with the figure will be a reprint of issue 1 from the Marvel-era as well as a DVD that contains the 3-episode "More Than Meets the Eye" digitally re-mastered. The figure will also have a sound box with quotes from Peter Cullen himself. The packaging will have 5 panel windows with a silver foil 25th anniversary logo with Classics-type package.

+ Universe deluxe Hound w/ Ravage will be a G1-type mold. The clips on the back of Hound fit Ravage. Shoulder cannon on Hound comes off.

+ Universe deluxe Cyclonus w/ Nightstick Targetmaster will also be a G1-type mold. Nightstick may be held by Cyclonus. The figure almost looks black and is very nice.

+ Universe deluxe Beast Wars Cheetor and has eyes that turn from green to red. However, that may be changed.

+ Universe Legends Brawn and Beachcomber will be making an appearance.

+ Universe Robot Heroes Cheetor vs Tankor, and Optimus vs Megatron will be making an appearance. Cheetor and Tankor are based on the Beast Machines-era, while Optimus and Megatron are from Robots In Disguise-era.

+ There will be another 25th revealed tomorrow that Archer said fans will be very happy about.

+ Hasbro is making a statement on G1 counterfeit knockoffs. Basically, they do not condone it and hint at legal issues. More on this later we're sure.

Q&A

+ MP Thundercracker is on their shortlist, they are looking to do as an exclusive in 2009 for the 25th anniversary line. While not confirmed they are definitely looking at it.

+ Not many off screen characters will be in the toy line for Animated. Oil Slick was an exception to the rule.

+ Attackix are pushed to the side for now.

+ Fans wants 6" Titanium Cliffjumper and Bumblebee but there are no plans right now.

+ As for the chances of a Sari toy, they want to find a way to bring human characters to the market, but it is not in the cards right now.

+ Fan wants to see those prototype Titaniums that were shown during last year's BotCon. Hasbro says they are looking to just use molds that have already been made, but tools cost a lot of money. The Titanium line was popular with the collector market, but was not so beyond that, so its hard to justify making new tools. However, they recognize the characters are important.

+ No plans for a Voyager Soundwave for Classics because they just did the re-issue.

+ When asked plans for a G1 Arcee for Alternators, they responded that just because there hasn't been any rumblings about the figure doesn't mean it is not being worked. Although they acknowledged that Alternators are still on the back burner for Hasbro.

+ There are currently still no plans for G1 Dinobot reissues.

+ We will see variation on the standard size of Robot Heroes in the future. Much like with larger scale figures in the Marvel Superhero Squad line.

+ Might see some combiners worked into 25th Anniversary.

+ All the 25th anniversary figures shown comes in as wave 3 of 4 of Universe, so with the exception of 25th G1 Prime coming out in November, the rest won't be seem until at the end of Dec 2008 or Jan 2009.

+ The GM-exclusive Aveo was created specifically as a promotional give-away in Europe for GM and was never meant to be sold. They chose that type of car due the vehicle's popularity in Europe. They didn't have a toy already made that they could give GM to be given away so GM paid to have that one made.

+ Universe will expand and contract as other things happen. So basically during the "Transformers" movie years, the movie stuff will have priority, but Universe won't go away.

+ No plans for G.I.Joe / Transformers crossover toys right now. Archer jokingly suggests to just put your G.I. Joe and Transformer toys on the same shelf right now.

+ Will there be a Wheeljack, Sunstorm or Trailbreaker figure in the future? Hasbro said there is a possibility. Pencil in Headmasters on that list, too.

+ There are no plans in the next year or two for G1 DVDs as far as they know.

+ The topic of whether Megatron will appear in TF2 has arisen many times, according to Archer.

+ Archer says he had to buy the USA MP Starscream on eBay because he couldn't find it at the store.

+ Acid Storm is a generic Seeker. Archer came up with the idea and it was supposed to be "Rainmaker" or "Acid Rainmaker," but couldn't get the name so it ended up as Acid Storm.

+ Music Label TFs are for Takara and Hasbro doesn't really do that format.

+ The companies respect each other exclusives, so if Takara re-released any seekers that were exclusive here, they would be different in some way so that they weren't exact.

+ Might see a figure based off of Dispensor, the Mountain Dew machine figure from "Transformers."

+ Hasbro took a poll with a raise of hands for accessory packs. About half the room raised their hand.

+ Even Hasbro was surprised at just how successful the movie was and had not planned for the demand on "Transformers" stuff to last that long. They acknowledged that the amount of repaints is due to this popularity.

+ For TF 2 they will be better prepared. There will be more new molds and less repaints as they get into the spring period.

+ Any chance for a larger Bonecrusher? He's one they would like to do in a better way if he is in the sequel.

+ Any character that was in TF1 as is in TF2, they will try to improve the mold and not just re-release the TF1 versions.

+ Is there any chance for an Animated Prime trailer? Since he has had several different trailers they are trying to figure out the best way to make that happen.

+ No plans for Hasbro re-issue of all of Soundwave's cassettes.

+ Is there any chance of revisiting Go-Bots molds? Hasbro owns the names and owns the name of Go-Bots, but not the Bandai molds so there is not much of a chance of paying homage to the original Go-Bots.

+ When asked about the lack of Sludge and Snarl in Animated, Hasbro said they hope to have Sludge somewhere down the road while at the same time saying that Snarl is coming.

+ Hasbro says they are currently discussing the possibility of holding Q&A sessions with Transformers fan sites like they do now with Star Wars and other lines.

+ The Alternators are not dead, just sleeping.

+ Joe is in charge of the exclusives.

+ Thundercraker, Skywarp have been planned as toys for the Animated toy line for a while.

+ Cartoon Network has day colors and night colors for their animations for each character. Hasbro has tried to work these into the toy as best as possible.

+ At one point Blitzwing was going to be more military.

+ Originally, Animated was going to be called "Transformers Heroes" (as we previously heavily speculated it to be called - ed.) because they wanted to be more superhero.

+ "The Archer," originally slated to be called Angry Archer, was put in by CN as an inside joke for Aaron Archer. While he had no control of the overall look and voice Archer asked that he have the left hand be more robotic but he had no control of the overall look and voice.

+ Takara couldn't make out the head from the image provided by the studio of deluxe Stryker. So instead, Archer drew it 5 minutes before catching a plane out to Tokyo and the head for the toy was created based on the sketch.

+ Salvage's inspiration is from the Sanford & Son truck.

+ A Cadillac XLR was going the alt mode for Megatron in the Transformers: Alternators but it never came to fruition.

+ The alt mode of the space shuttle for Skyfire was based on the one used in Michael Bay's "Armageddon."

+ Universe Classics 2.0 Storm Cloud is a redeco Powerglide. The "MM-89" on him stands for Micro Master 89, the year he was made.

+ Both Powerglide and Storm Cloud will have a feature where the figure's chest can be opened to reveal a heart. It is really for Powerglide, but Storm Cloud has it because it was molded in.

+ Animated Perceptor was just designed and the figure is coming.

+ Universe deluxe Acid Storm was originally named Rainmaker, then Acid Rain, until the name of Acid Storm was finally settled upon.

+ 25th Anniversary Armada deluxe class Hot Shot now has a rear window! This figure is how they will celebrate Mini-Cons because he comes with one. There will not be a bazooka weapon for Hot Shot. At this time, Dave Willis (ShortPacked) stood up, since he is a BIG Hot Shot fan. (Ed Note: Yes, this is the surprise 25th figure. @_@)

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

+ No plans for a Universe Six Shot right now.

+ When working on the Alternators line, Hasbro comes up with the ideas and Takara designed and sculpted them.

+ Wal-Mart exclusive Fracture, a Classics Mirage repaint, is Crasher from the Go-Bots and is a female. She is able to create tremors with her feet. They had tried to call her Crasher and then Catalyst but those names didn't clear.

+ Takara and Hasbro each do their own color guides for toys.

+ No combiners are planned for the Universe line right now.

+ No Ultra Magnus figures for the Universe line right now.

+ Hasbro has talked to GM about the possibility of using a Hummer as a basis for the figure but for many different reasons it never happened. However, it could be something in the future.

+ According to Archer, the 25th Anniversary Hot Shot was a great opportunity to redo a guy who needed to be redone. It wont be out till around this time next year.

+ We will probably see a Ratchet repaint of Ironhide in the Universe line.

+ It has not been confirmed what Animated Perceptor transforms into, but it's possible he'll still transform into a microscope or maybe a telescope. It has been confirmed that he does not have the microscope bazooka shoulder cannon.

+ Universe Cosmos is in the works and they are trying to get him done. They want to have something to show for next year.

+ When asked about MP Grimlock, Hasbro says the figure's on their short list. If Takara does it first, he will probably make his way here as an exclusive.

+ Galvatron was so small because the designer was told that they already had so many tanks in the larger scale. /quote]

I'm most surprised about the new Hotshot and Animated Perceptor, plus the new Classics. more photos here: http://tformers.com/transformers-botcon-20.../9353/news.html

http://tformers.com/transformers-botcon-20.../9357/news.html

Wow, big post is big. :tongue:

+Universe ultra Silverbolt coming August 2008. Will have sounds in robot and jet including the transformation sound. Gun sounds and Jet sounds too.

+ Universe Ultra Storm Cloud coming in September 2008. Redeco of the Powerglide figure.

+ Universe deluxes Ironhide and Sideswipe are coming October 2008.

+ Ironhide's license plate says Oregon and looks like a modern SUV/Van-type vehicle. He will have a mid-level transformers difficulty

+ Sideswipe is the same mold as Sunstreaker with new hands. The image that is shown on the presentation is the wrong head and the chest plate is not turned around.

+ Universe Legends coming August 2008.

+ Robot Heroes Kickback vs. Ironhide, Thrust vs. Blaster, Megatron vs. Silverbolt, and G2 Megatron and Jazz will arrive in October 2008.

Ironhide looks pretty nice, I have to say, and I do quite like Sideswipe. He should look cool alongside his brother. As for the Legends, well, I'm a sucker for the Legends scale, and these look really :thumbup: . I mean, Hound and G2 Megs. I'm not really a big G2 fan, but it's certainly a class Megs design.

TRANSFORMERS 25th ANNIVERSARY - 1984-2009

+ 25th anniversary culminates with "Transformers 2."

+ The series will be celebrating all eras of Transformers and not just G1 and will feature all updated, modernized sculpts.

+ Animated will also continue.

+ Thanksgiving release to kick off G1 re-issue of original U.S. version of Optimus Prime with silver roller. Also included with the figure will be a reprint of issue 1 from the Marvel-era as well as a DVD that contains the 3-episode "More Than Meets the Eye" digitally re-mastered. The figure will also have a sound box with quotes from Peter Cullen himself. The packaging will have 5 panel windows with a silver foil 25th anniversary logo with Classics-type package.

+ Universe deluxe Hound w/ Ravage will be a G1-type mold. The clips on the back of Hound fit Ravage. Shoulder cannon on Hound comes off.

+ Universe deluxe Cyclonus w/ Nightstick Targetmaster will also be a G1-type mold. Nightstick may be held by Cyclonus. The figure almost looks black and is very nice.

+ Universe deluxe Beast Wars Cheetor and has eyes that turn from green to red. However, that may be changed.

+ Universe Legends Brawn and Beachcomber will be making an appearance.

+ Universe Robot Heroes Cheetor vs Tankor, and Optimus vs Megatron will be making an appearance. Cheetor and Tankor are based on the Beast Machines-era, while Optimus and Megatron are from Robots In Disguise-era.

+ There will be another 25th revealed tomorrow that Archer said fans will be very happy about.

+ Hasbro is making a statement on G1 counterfeit knockoffs. Basically, they do not condone it and hint at legal issues. More on this later we're sure.

Oh, of course, I'd almost forgotten it was 25 years next year :blush:

It sounds like some really good stuff is planned. More Legends, good. Celebrations of all the series, fantastic. Hound, Brawn, Beachcomber, Ravage, Targetmaster Cyclonus, BW Cheetor, Prime...

So much... :wub:

+ There are currently still no plans for G1 Dinobot reissues.

:cry_sad:

+ Might see some combiners worked into 25th Anniversary.

Please, please, please...

+ Will there be a Wheeljack, Sunstorm or Trailbreaker figure in the future? Hasbro said there is a possibility. Pencil in Headmasters on that list, too.

Ooh... Headmasters. As long as they're good, that is. And Trailbreaker, Wheeljack and (especially) Sunstorm are always welcome.

+ Acid Storm is a generic Seeker. Archer came up with the idea and it was supposed to be "Rainmaker" or "Acid Rainmaker," but couldn't get the name so it ended up as Acid Storm.

I... have no idea who Acid Storm is.

+ Might see a figure based off of Dispensor, the Mountain Dew machine figure from "Transformers."

I would so buy that, just for the comedy value. :grin:

+ Both Powerglide and Storm Cloud will have a feature where the figure's chest can be opened to reveal a heart. It is really for Powerglide, but Storm Cloud has it because it was molded in.

Oh, I like the in-joke there. The girl who stole Powerglide's heart and all that.

+ 25th Anniversary Armada deluxe class Hot Shot now has a rear window! This figure is how they will celebrate Mini-Cons because he comes with one. There will not be a bazooka weapon for Hot Shot. At this time, Dave Willis (ShortPacked) stood up, since he is a BIG Hot Shot fan. (Ed Note: Yes, this is the surprise 25th figure. @_@)

I'll be honest, this wasn't a figure I was expecting. Not necessarily a bad release though, as I never got him the first time around, and I kind of wish I had.

+ We will probably see a Ratchet repaint of Ironhide in the Universe line.

Ah the old "repaint them, they're just the same" trick.

+ When asked about MP Grimlock, Hasbro says the figure's on their short list. If Takara does it first, he will probably make his way here as an exclusive.

:devil:

And as for the photo galleries, there are some nice looking figures in there.

::finds last episode of Season 2 Animated leaked on Youtube::

Yup, just as I thought.

Sari is indeed a robot herself... well... her arm is at least. Probably the rest.

Also, I'm glad Skywarp still looks like Skywarp... although he's FEMALE now.

All I'll say to those who don't look at spoilers... I am REALLY thinking it's lame how every other episode introduces a new guy, but then they get "lost" by the end of the episode.

Soundwave, WreckGar, ***** *******, etc etc...

I am REALLY thinking it's lame how every other episode introduces a new guy, but then they get "lost" by the end of the episode.

I've not actually seen any, but I think I'd probably prefer the Autobots fighting the Decepticons week in, week out, rather than Super-villains. Let Super-villains stay in Superhero comics.

But if you're refering to the actual TFs, the I suppose it's no different to what the original series did. :tongue:

Edited by Brainbox

All I'll say to those who don't look at spoilers... I am REALLY thinking it's lame how every other episode introduces a new guy, but then they get "lost" by the end of the episode.

Soundwave, WreckGar, ***** *******, etc etc...

What? They were still functional in some kind in the end of the episodes. :tongue:

Yeah, the're still alive at the end of the episodes (well, at least the ones aired so far spoiler spoiler spoiler) but then they leave, lose their ability to move, etc etc... It's like, why would it take many episodes later for them to hook back up with their respective teams?

It's like the writers (or maybe Hasbro) aren't "ready" for them yet, but understand they need to show that they will be characters in the future.

In any case, I'm loving TF:A. Sure, it looks like american Teen Titans stuff and not anime, but they've done a great job on it.

The amount of throwback gags to G1 are incredible in volume.

I was watching the newest one, "Velocity"... and was looking at the symbol on the side of the trailer that the illegal street racing orchestrator had... if I'm not mistaken, the symbol is what the minicars in Brazil had on them in the 80's, instead of Autobot or Decepticon symbols lol. What an absolutely abstract thing to resurrect for a G1 homage!

It shows that real knowledgeable people / probably fans are at the helm.

I especially love the terrorized pregnant Carlie and her husband Spike scenes, along with the little 2005 Daniel scenes of earlier episodes.

X D

Great stuff...

Now if some Animated toys would just pop up on the shelves already instead of all these megablocking ugly movie guys stilll hanging around.

I hope it happens soon, too... I don't want the Animated stuff to come in, only to be quickly obliterated by an influx of Movie 2 garbage.

>__<

Now if some Animated toys would just pop up on the shelves already instead of all these megablocking ugly movie guys stilll hanging around.

I hope it happens soon, too... I don't want the Animated stuff to come in, only to be quickly obliterated by an influx of Movie 2 garbage.

I think they're suppose to be coming out pretty soon. There's Universe/Classics 2 coming as well, and I think that's more towards the end of the year. TFA is earlier than that.

Yeah, the're still alive at the end of the episodes (well, at least the ones aired so far spoiler spoiler spoiler) but then they leave, lose their ability to move, etc etc... It's like, why would it take many episodes later for them to hook back up with their respective teams?

Its to give them more predominate roles for future episodes i'm sure.

It's like the writers (or maybe Hasbro) aren't "ready" for them yet, but understand they need to show that they will be characters in the future.

Its to give them more predominate roles for future episodes i'm sure. I justsaw the newest episode "Rise of the Constructicons". Kinda dissapointed that only two were introduced, but considering that they didn't even clarify who there aligence is to, i'm sure we'll see more of them and possible more constructicons in the near future.

In any case, I'm loving TF:A. Sure, it looks like american Teen Titans stuff and not anime, but they've done a great job on it.

I agree. The TF-A series has been great! My only gripe is that the autobots seem to get there megablocks handed to them every time a new Decepticon is introduced. If they do win, it takes all 5 to take just one down. Not even prime seems to stand a chance by himself. :sceptic:

So far i'm not to impressed with what i've seen with the TF-A toys. I dunno. Maybe once finnal production toys come out, they'll look better than the preliminary's. So far for me, the movie line is still my favorite.

Speaking of new toys, on my recent trip to TRU, i found a couple new figs. Well, there really nothing new, just re-named TF Cybertron Autobots Jetfire and Sabere wing. (I believe that was his name). In all i think this was a good thing since i was in my TF dark age when these figs originally appeared.

I share Jinzo's fear that TFA will be eclipsed by the TF2 toys, since they're not being released until nearly the end of the show's second season domestically. While I realize hasbro wants to milk the Movie toyline, personally, I'd prefer the Animated toys over the Movie toys, and i wonder why both lines can't share the shelves. I generally tend towards the more realistic looking T-formers, but the Movie aesthetics just don't really grab me. The Animated figs, although very cartoony, match their tv counterparts very well, have little to no kibble, and are some of the most highly articulated figures to date. The movie toys were very kibble-y. That said, I tip my hat readily to Takara, as I think they did a really good job rendering Bay's skelebots into decent, highly articulated toys, since there's no set pattern to how the things transform. The Movie toys also set a new precedent for unorthodox and more technical transformations; love em or hate em, today's Transformer toys are fairly inexpensive works of engineering art, and I'm glad to see that the Universe and Animated lines are benefitting from the new approach. One need only pick up a G1 toy to realize how far we've come...darned spoiled kids these days just don't realize how well done their toys really are!

Off topic but not really: As we're getting a new much more comic based Hulk this summer as opposed to Ang Lee's Hulk a couple years ago, i'd love to see another studio produce a big budget Transformers movie, but with better writing, more focus on the T-formers, and the characters themselves more akin to Binaltech/Alternators. This was what I was hoping for mightily before the actual designs were shown. It seemed a no-brainer that this would be the direction the art team would go, but what we actually got was much different. To those of you who like Bay's Movie designs, I'm happy for you, as we're probably going to see these things on shelves for another 10 years, if the sequels continue to be successful. And because I'm a hypocrite with an addicton to transformable plastic figs, i'll probably add a few to my collection like the first movie. :tongue:

I share Jinzo's fear that TFA will be eclipsed by the TF2 toys, since they're not being released until nearly the end of the show's second season domestically. While I realize hasbro wants to milk the Movie toyline, personally, I'd prefer the Animated toys over the Movie toys, and i wonder why both lines can't share the shelves. I generally tend towards the more realistic looking T-formers, but the Movie aesthetics just don't really grab me. The Animated figs, although very cartoony, match their tv counterparts very well, have little to no kibble, and are some of the most highly articulated figures to date. The movie toys were very kibble-y. That said, I tip my hat readily to Takara, as I think they did a really good job rendering Bay's skelebots into decent, highly articulated toys, since there's no set pattern to how the things transform. The Movie toys also set a new precedent for unorthodox and more technical transformations; love em or hate em, today's Transformer toys are fairly inexpensive works of engineering art, and I'm glad to see that the Universe and Animated lines are benefitting from the new approach. One need only pick up a G1 toy to realize how far we've come...darned spoiled kids these days just don't realize how well done their toys really are!

I acctually feel the opisite you do about the TF-A toys versus the Movie toys. Although to be honest, i shouldn't pass full judgment intill i see a more close-up of the animated toys. Though to be honest, though the TF2 movie toys might "eclipse" the animated toys,i don't beilve that it will automaticly just push them off the shelfs. But to be honest, thats really gonna depend on how well the both the movie, as well as how the Animated series is doing at the time. Idon't know how well its doing now I really feel that the series could do better if cartoon network would advertise the show more. While i'm watching the cartoon network in the mourning with nephew, there must be 20 to 30 comercials for "Ben 10" and "Pokemon-digimon" while your lucky if you see one or two for TF-A. Having toys on the shelf will help i'm sure, but somtimes i feel that cartoon network is just using the new series to fill a spot. :sceptic: Likei said, the series might be doing just fine in the ratings. I don't know. Just seems like its not a priority.

Off topic but not really: As we're getting a new much more comic based Hulk this summer as opposed to Ang Lee's Hulk a couple years ago, i'd love to see another studio produce a big budget Transformers movie, but with better writing, more focus on the T-formers, and the characters themselves more akin to Binaltech/Alternators. This was what I was hoping for mightily before the actual designs were shown. It seemed a no-brainer that this would be the direction the art team would go, but what we actually got was much different. To those of you who like Bay's Movie designs, I'm happy for you, as we're probably going to see these things on shelves for another 10 years, if the sequels continue to be successful. And because I'm a hypocrite with an addicton to transformable plastic figs, i'll probably add a few to my collection like the first movie. :tongue:

From what i've read so far, the there's going to be a much better balance between the humans and robots since the budget for this one far bigger than the first. As far as the writing goes, can you give an example of what you'd like to see better? Better story line, action etc? I defenatly felt that the decepticons should have had more personality and lines. Even some of the autobots got jipped in that department. But i felt the over all story was preety good. I mean there's always room from improvment, but for the first atempt of a live action movie, i felt the writers did a good job. They had a good balance of everything to please everyone. I'm sure they've learned alot from the reactions from fans, and no-fans alike about what they did, and didn'tlike about the movie, so i'm sure we'll see some improvments in the new script.

As far as the designs go, yes, i am a fan of the new designs. Both on screen, and as toys., for preety much the reasons you meantioned above. One question, can you post some pics of the aBinaltech/Alternators line? Its possible that the reason that they didn't go that route is cause they already did it. They might have wanted to do somthing new for the movie.

Go to www.tfw2005.com or www.seibertron.com Both of these are excellent sources of news and pics of all lines of Transformers.

My dissatisfaction with the movie is hard to sum up briefly. Basically, for a movie called Transformers, I think the title characters should be the absolute focus. I love how the original show and now Animated had a couple human character with whom the transformers interacted, but kept the focus on the title characters. Bay's movie was "The life and times of Sam Witwicky, with special cameo appearances by his Transformer friends." The humor was just, well, juvenile and not really humorous. Sector 7 was pointless as well as the hacker girl and her friend. Frenzy was a Transformer in name only/ I would never associate that design with Transformers had it not appeared in the movie. The Decepticons had almost no lines, no personalities, and almost no appearances. If I'd made the movie, I'd have started on Cybertron, establishing the characters, their war, and their reason for having to leave Cybertron. As far as the look of the characters, the Movie creations fragment unrealistically to assume robot mode. Their vehicle modes would be crisscrossed with separation lines to allow the various body panels to break up. The Alternators were a line of Transformers based on licensed vehicles and approved by their respective car companies before the final production models could be released. It drove Takara's designers nuts, as many companies, esp American, didn't want to see the hood of their vehicle splitting in half, and other such nitpickery. In the end, the toys were very complex, accurate, and still retained a 'Transformer' look. IMHO, the two best designs were the Mazda RX-8 and the 2005 Mustang. I understand Bay's reluctance to not use the classic 'blocky' look, so I think using an endoskeleton was a good beginning. However, as a matter of realism, body panels should remain and not fragment to the point of disintegrating into the robots' structures. They should shift or otherwise form various parts of the robot. Most importantly, each character should transform the same way all the time. ILM, in interviews, have said they never transform the same way; the sequence was always based on the particular angle of the shot and the CGI folks basically designed the transformation as they went along, fragmenting the various parts of the car and then moving them helter-skelter or eliminating them until they arrived at the established look of the robot. I suppose they explain it by saying it's nano-technology. To me, it's lazy and the result doesn't look so much like a Transformer to me as a generic robot skeleton to which shredded car parts were cut and pasted. Ergo, I much prefer TFA; the characters have defined personalities; the humans are there and they're engaging without being the focus; while very stylistically cartoonish, the toys match their tv incarnations well, are very articulated, and most have virtually no kibble. The writing of this show is well done, IMHO. I balked mightily when the first images were released...I still wish they'd gone in a more Batman: The Animated Series look, but it's grown on me. I think the toys being produced for this series are some of the best ever made, cartoonishness notwithstanding. Hopefully, the TF2 toys will see great improvements, as I understand the great folks at Takara had a tough time translating them into toys. As they are, the first movie toys were ok, but were pretty inaccurate when compared movie artwork/CGI captures. I don't blame the Takara people at all...Bay's Transformers use Pure Magic to affect transformation, and toy designers need to establish where everything on the car goes when it transforms.

As far as Cartoon Network goes, you're so right about their not promoting the series. CN is funny anyway; they shift schedules at whim, promote some stuff and not others. Odd, and not very professional at times.

I acctually feel the opisite you do about the TF-A toys versus the Movie toys. Although to be honest, i shouldn't pass full judgment intill i see a more close-up of the animated toys. Though to be honest, though the TF2 movie toys might "eclipse" the animated toys,i don't beilve that it will automaticly just push them off the shelfs. But to be honest, thats really gonna depend on how well the both the movie, as well as how the Animated series is doing at the time. Idon't know how well its doing now I really feel that the series could do better if cartoon network would advertise the show more. While i'm watching the cartoon network in the mourning with nephew, there must be 20 to 30 comercials for "Ben 10" and "Pokemon-digimon" while your lucky if you see one or two for TF-A. Having toys on the shelf will help i'm sure, but somtimes i feel that cartoon network is just using the new series to fill a spot. :sceptic: Likei said, the series might be doing just fine in the ratings. I don't know. Just seems like its not a priority.

From what i've read so far, the there's going to be a much better balance between the humans and robots since the budget for this one far bigger than the first. As far as the writing goes, can you give an example of what you'd like to see better? Better story line, action etc? I defenatly felt that the decepticons should have had more personality and lines. Even some of the autobots got jipped in that department. But i felt the over all story was preety good. I mean there's always room from improvment, but for the first atempt of a live action movie, i felt the writers did a good job. They had a good balance of everything to please everyone. I'm sure they've learned alot from the reactions from fans, and no-fans alike about what they did, and didn'tlike about the movie, so i'm sure we'll see some improvments in the new script.

As far as the designs go, yes, i am a fan of the new designs. Both on screen, and as toys., for preety much the reasons you meantioned above. One question, can you post some pics of the aBinaltech/Alternators line? Its possible that the reason that they didn't go that route is cause they already did it. They might have wanted to do somthing new for the movie.

Go to www.tfw2005.com or www.seibertron.com Both of these are excellent sources of news and pics of all lines of Transformers.

My dissatisfaction with the movie is hard to sum up briefly. Basically, for a movie called Transformers, I think the title characters should be the absolute focus. I love how the original show and now Animated had a couple human character with whom the transformers interacted, but kept the focus on the title characters. Bay's movie was "The life and times of Sam Witwicky, with special cameo appearances by his Transformer friends." The humor was just, well, juvenile and not really humorous. Sector 7 was pointless as well as the hacker girl and her friend. Frenzy was a Transformer in name only/ I would never associate that design with Transformers had it not appeared in the movie. The Decepticons had almost no lines, no personalities, and almost no appearances. If I'd made the movie, I'd have started on Cybertron, establishing the characters, their war, and their reason for having to leave Cybertron. As far as the look of the characters, the Movie creations fragment unrealistically to assume robot mode. Their vehicle modes would be crisscrossed with separation lines to allow the various body panels to break up. The Alternators were a line of Transformers based on licensed vehicles and approved by their respective car companies before the final production models could be released. It drove Takara's designers nuts, as many companies, esp American, didn't want to see the hood of their vehicle splitting in half, and other such nitpickery. In the end, the toys were very complex, accurate, and still retained a 'Transformer' look. IMHO, the two best designs were the Mazda RX-8 and the 2005 Mustang. I understand Bay's reluctance to not use the classic 'blocky' look, so I think using an endoskeleton was a good beginning. However, as a matter of realism, body panels should remain and not fragment to the point of disintegrating into the robots' structures. They should shift or otherwise form various parts of the robot. Most importantly, each character should transform the same way all the time. ILM, in interviews, have said they never transform the same way; the sequence was always based on the particular angle of the shot and the CGI folks basically designed the transformation as they went along, fragmenting the various parts of the car and then moving them helter-skelter or eliminating them until they arrived at the established look of the robot. I suppose they explain it by saying it's nano-technology. To me, it's lazy and the result doesn't look so much like a Transformer to me as a generic robot skeleton to which shredded car parts were cut and pasted. Ergo, I much prefer TFA; the characters have defined personalities; the humans are there and they're engaging without being the focus; while very stylistically cartoonish, the toys match their tv incarnations well, are very articulated, and most have virtually no kibble. The writing of this show is well done, IMHO. I balked mightily when the first images were released...I still wish they'd gone in a more Batman: The Animated Series look, but it's grown on me. I think the toys being produced for this series are some of the best ever made, cartoonishness notwithstanding. Hopefully, the TF2 toys will see great improvements, as I understand the great folks at Takara had a tough time translating them into toys. As they are, the first movie toys were ok, but were pretty inaccurate when compared movie artwork/CGI captures. I don't blame the Takara people at all...Bay's Transformers use Pure Magic to affect transformation, and toy designers need to establish where everything on the car goes when it transforms.

As far as Cartoon Network goes, you're so right about their not promoting the series. CN is funny anyway; they shift schedules at whim, promote some stuff and not others. Odd, and not very professional at times.

i can defenatly understand about the balance of the humans and transformers, but i don't agree that it was to bad. Would it have been better to see more of the TF's? Absolutley. But i think budget had alot to do with that. not sure if its really fair to compare the amount of human/TF interaction with the cartoons, since both the humans and TF were both cartoon animated. In this case, budget doesn't com into play while in the movie it plays a huge factor.

While i think the Alternators line is great, i don't see them working for the movie due to how basic the designs really are. While defentaly more complex anything from G1, they do carry that "blockyness" that the film bay was trying to aviod. Given the opertunity to due a movie with Tf name, i kinda felt it was there duty to create the most detailed TF that they could given the technology that they had accses to. Rememeber, its just not fans that are going to see these movies. They need to be catered to the general public as well, and when it comes to animation the general public can be preety brutal if they don't see somthing ground breaking. I'm not saying that the designs were perfect. I agree with most that Megatrons design was all jacked up. Frenzy while a good character and having exellent detail was acctually to complex. So complex, that we couldn't get a toy made. But while not perfect, i still felt that overall there appearance on screen with ground breaking. Like'em or not, the amount of detail used was defenatly impressive to see on screen. I will agree that in certain angles some of the bots transformation differed from scence to scene. You would think that they would pick a transformation and stick with it. But for the most part they stayed the same. Prime and bumble bee were good examples.

As far as the movie designs in relation to there prespective toys go, i think the toys are good representations of there on screen counterparts. Some are of course better than others, but overall i think they all capture the same lines and part transformations. Ironhide, Bumble Bee and Bonecrusher are probbly the better examples. Espeacially Ironhide.

We'll see how the second movie pans out. My biggest fear is that there rushing the production of the second movie. Hopfully they learned alot from the first movie. We'll see how it all pans out. I'm sure we'll stat seeing some preliminary TF pics, as well as a teaser trailer by as early as the end of summer.

Ew.

Listening to you two regurgitate the exchange over whether or not the movie blew (badly!) or not... something hit me.

Neither line will probably push the other out. I think they'll be sitting side by side.

I say that because you have the dark, poopy, CGI shard-bots of the movie, while you have the bordering on Playskool look of Animated.

Now, the only "normal" looking Transformers on the shelves will (maybe) be the hero figurines or some Titaniums.

In other words, the two different styles cancel each other out.

Did that make any sense?

Ew.

Listening to you two regurgitate the exchange over whether or not the movie blew (badly!) or not... something hit me.

Neither line will probably push the other out. I think they'll be sitting side by side.

I say that because you have the dark, poopy, CGI shard-bots of the movie, while you have the bordering on Playskool look of Animated.

Now, the only "normal" looking Transformers on the shelves will (maybe) be the hero figurines or some Titaniums.

In other words, the two different styles cancel each other out.

Did that make any sense?

Sure, makes sense. I take it you don't like the movie. :laugh: Wasn't my cup of tea either. Fortunately, for those who dislike the PlaySkool TFA and the 'poopy' shardbots, there's Classics 2.0. While I have a few Titanim 6" figs, their transformations are very simple. I like more complex figs with more poseability, but the die cast is Titanium's selling point. The Hero figs never interested me, but it's good that Hasbro puts something out there for everybody. Bottom line, I hope Hasbro/Takara-Tomy do well with all the lines to keep the brand alive as well as improving the product itself. IMHO, Alex Kubalsky's addition to the Takara Transformer design team was a great plus for us collectors.

Animated toys have been in Canada for about a month now. I'm in Ottawa and I've bought Lockdown, Prowl, Starscream, Ratchet and Blackarachnia locally, and passed on Cybertronian Megatron, Voyager Bulkhead, Cybertronian Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. Zellers, Toys R Us and Wal-Mart all have them, in addition to the local comic book shops.

(A comic store in Quebec apparently has the Leader Megatron and Bulkhead figures as well. )