Brainbox

Transformers

I'm really not impressed with any of the animated figs. As gifts i recieved Animated Prime and Bumble bee figs. Niether could stand up on their own, and bumble Bee's paint has been flaking off since it was removed from the package. Prime alos doesn't want to stay toeghter in vehicle mode. Rear legs want to pop out and not stay locked. To be fair this was around a year ago, and many of the problems that the first wave of figures had claimed to have been fixed.

That said, i would still like to pick up Animated Ultra Magnus as i really ike his alt mode, and he seems to have one of the best bot designs of all the animated figures.

Magnus is a solid figure, spot -on in both modes, and he says a couple quotes from the show. Even better, he sounds exactly like he does in the show.

I have most of the Animated figs, and find them to be well made. My BB stands just fine, as do all my figs. The only fig i've had trouble with is Swindle: his right arm is defective at the shoulder ball joint and falls off easily with light handling. I've thought about beefing up the area around the socket with superglue. otherwise, he's a great fig with a decent transformation, and good aesthetics in both bot and alt modes.

Of course, the toys aren't without their design flaws. Lockdown's knee articulation is very limited, and BB's "stingers" don't fold flush into the arms(there's room for them to do so, but stops were molded onto the things to prevent them ) Leader class Megs has an excellent bot mode, but his alt almost seems like an afterthought, esp the simplistic folding of his arms. Sentinel Prime is quite small and short compared to his depiction on the show. He probably should have been a voyager class toy instead of deluxe. His shoulder articulation is limited due to his transformation design.

I have quite a few of the movie toys from the first movie, and I like most of them. :tongue: Longarm, the tow truck, is hands down my favorite movie based toy...a very poseable fig with a good alt mode. I like voyager Ratchet, as well; he's a solid figure with a good transformation and looks good in both modes, if you can handle the greenish-yellow coloring. Brawl is, IMHO, one of the best tank transformers ever designed; his shoulder tabs are really about the only flaw. While i wasn't that jazzed about the first movie's leader Prime toy, the new retooled version has my interest. I'm looking forward to getting Sideswipe, as well...looks good in both modes. I like Skids and Mudflap, but their heads are terrible. I may just wait for a possible repaint of each with, hopefully, new head molds.

Magnus is a solid figure, spot -on in both modes, and he says a couple quotes from the show. Even better, he sounds exactly like he does in the show.

I have most of the Animated figs, and find them to be well made. My BB stands just fine, as do all my figs. The only fig i've had trouble with is Swindle: his right arm is defective at the shoulder ball joint and falls off easily with light handling. I've thought about beefing up the area around the socket with superglue. otherwise, he's a great fig with a decent transformation, and good aesthetics in both bot and alt modes.

Of course, the toys aren't without their design flaws. Lockdown's knee articulation is very limited, and BB's "stingers" don't fold flush into the arms(there's room for them to do so, but stops were molded onto the things to prevent them ) Leader class Megs has an excellent bot mode, but his alt almost seems like an afterthought, esp the simplistic folding of his arms. Sentinel Prime is quite small and short compared to his depiction on the show. He probably should have been a voyager class toy instead of deluxe. His shoulder articulation is limited due to his transformation design.

I have quite a few of the movie toys from the first movie, and I like most of them. :tongue: Longarm, the tow truck, is hands down my favorite movie based toy...a very poseable fig with a good alt mode. I like voyager Ratchet, as well; he's a solid figure with a good transformation and looks good in both modes, if you can handle the greenish-yellow coloring. Brawl is, IMHO, one of the best tank transformers ever designed; his shoulder tabs are really about the only flaw. While i wasn't that jazzed about the first movie's leader Prime toy, the new retooled version has my interest. I'm looking forward to getting Sideswipe, as well...looks good in both modes. I like Skids and Mudflap, but their heads are terrible. I may just wait for a possible repaint of each with, hopefully, new head molds.

I just might bite the bullet and go pickup Leader class Ultra Magnus. Every time i make the trip to Target or Wallmart, he seem to just be staring down into me. I'm also thinking about picking up a few more Universe figs. I have prowl and i was quite impressed with his overall design. Inferno is probbly going to be next on my list of universe figs, along with Onslaught. Both Alt and bot modes look very good and sturdy.

For movie figs, i have all the ones that were in the movie and only a select few that weren't. Starscream has very good bot mode, but the worst vehicle mode of ANY transformer i've ever seen. From the top it he looks ok, but from nearly ever other angle he's a mess. He also doesn't have much "swoop" factor, as his arms tend to become dislodged. From what i've read, most of this has been fixed for his ROTF figure.

Speaking of alt forms, Incinorator has by far the best vehicle mode of any of the movie figs (if you can get over the exposed mechanics under his wings.) I love the radar dish on the top doubling as the mechanism to turn the rotors. Very cool. Unfortunutly, that mechanism is also his down fall in bot mode. Simular to Blackout with the tail section being extending all the way down the back. I do like the way the cockpit splits to form his chest.

My absolulte favorite of the movie line has to be Leader class Brawl. Great detail in both alt and bot modes, and sturdy design. Your correct that he has the best tank design of any transformer. Very impressed.

I got Animated Waspinator last night. He's a neat update to the BW character. His transformation is pretty simple, but he looks good in both modes, is very poseable, and he has a small lever on his back that makes his wings flap. I wasn't planning on getting him, as I was more interested in finding Samurai Prowl, but my wife spotted him and "twisted my arm". I never had the original BW figure, as I wasn't crazy about it, but I've no regrets grabbing his Animated incarnation.

Speaking of Animated, anyone else catch the 1.5 hours of the third season opener this past weekend. IMO, it was a great opening, resolving some issues from the end of second season, and planting the seeds for a good main plotline. My understanding is that there were originally plans to go beyond the third season, and then it was decided to canx the show after the third, so many elements that were to be introduced have either been cut or condensed. I feel a tug of remorse, as this is the first TF show since BW that I've liked, and it's being cancelled quite early into its run.

I have a bad feeling that it's going to be replaced by a live-action-movie based show. If so, more's the pity for a better show lost.

Edited by M'Kyuun

But Beast Wars also only ran 3 season's and remained great all the way through. If this goes on too long I fear we'll be retreading old ground (was we were a little in this weekend's 'Transwarped' if I'm honest).

Was a brilliant episode, laughed out loud at Perceptor and Optimus has become a badass all of a sudden which is great.

Yeah, but if it's good ground, I don't mind a little retread. :tongue: Perceptor caught me by surprise when he talked..I was expecting a cultured voice similar to the old G1 character. Instead, we get a Stephen Hawking-esque electronic voice. :laugh: I had a little trouble understanding what he was saying, but had to laugh all the same. It's oddly fitting.

Sari's subplot felt a little rushed and Sumdac's "She's my daughter and I love her" defense sounded a bit forced, but otherwise, it was interesting and opens the character up for more story. This was my only gripe.

The many cameos in Transwarped had me near to giddy; I hope they get more screen time and toys, esp Wheeljack and Brawn. The 80's toys just didn't do these guys justice, and the new Legends version of Brawn, while very evocative of the original, would make a nice Deluxe on par with Swindle, who, IMHO, is an excellent figure. I hope we see Huffer added in, with his constant positive outlook. :tongue::laugh: I always liked him, Brawn, and CliffJumper. They were all very defined characters. Additionally, Blackout, who's an Animated take on Bay's movie Blackout, was cool just b/c they're using characters from every part of the franchise. Well, short as the series may be, I'm thankful for it, as my cup o' happy nostalgia runneth over and doth staineth the carpet.

I liked that they added Oil Slick as a character. Originally, he was just a one-off toy with no in-show incarnation. His toy is pretty cool.

Edited by M'Kyuun

I had gotten up early to get ready for a day of 4wheeling with some buddies and while getting ready, I caught the new season opener for TFA too. Preety good. I was really glad that professor Sumdac was able to return and take control back from that weastle and head master. That had always ticked me off about the last season.

While watching my girlfrined was getting ready for work and i was talking about how bulkhead was one of my favorite characters on the Animated show. SO while i'm gone what does she do? She buys me Leader class Bulkhead!

I have to say, Leader class bulkhead is a VERY well made figure. ten Times better than my animated Bumble Bee or prime. Great posability, color was the same althrough out and everything fit perfect. This is one of best figs i have to date. Only problem i had was when i vehicle mode you couldn't close his turent over his head cause the opening for the little "tooth" in the front of the turent wasn't wide enough. This was fixed rather quick with my utility knife so no biggie.

This gives me new hope that the rest of the animated figs are built up to par. Next, Leader clas megs and Ultra Magnus!

A couple weeks ago i also picked up Universe Onslaught. Another nice fig. He's actually a preety decent sized fig. In both vehicle and bot mode he's preety much the same size as Leader Bulkhead. I don't care for the way he stores his shield while in swat truck mode, but other than that no complaints.

Anyone else watch "5 Servos of Doom"? I thought it was a good episode. I like Prowl, so I'm biased. Last week's ep with the Constructicons was Ok. I didn't care for the Dirt Boss character, and I'm not real crazy about Scrapper and Mixmaster, either. It was so-so for me.

Anyone else watch "5 Servos of Doom"? I thought it was a good episode. I like Prowl, so I'm biased. Last week's ep with the Constructicons was Ok. I didn't care for the Dirt Boss character, and I'm not real crazy about Scrapper and Mixmaster, either. It was so-so for me.

Yup. Although my DVR cut off the last few minutes. Right after the part were Cliffjumper was telling Prime about Shockwave being a double agent. Good episode. I liked how they showed how Prowl became a ninja. I'm also liking the animated interpetation of Jazz the more i see him. He has the layed back"cool" attitude.8)

I actually like Scaper and Mixmaster. I'm hoping we see more Constructicons this season and dare i say "Devastator" makes an apearance. Speaking of Constructicons, are there any toys of Mix Master, or Scraper? Never seen any on the shelfs.

Bleh, Transformers Animated = killer of Soundwave's character. Way to rape one of the best characters in your franchise. :| I liked the obvious G1 homage but he was pathetic.

Bleh, Transformers Animated = killer of Soundwave's character. Way to rape one of the best characters in your franchise. :| I liked the obvious G1 homage but he was pathetic.

Luckily I haven't watched the animated series nor bought any of the tys, they are too cheesy for me.

I haven't visited this topic in quite a while, so a quick comment about the movie plot;

So, devastator finds an ancient weapon that will use the sun to destroy earth? Very interesting, and I can't wait to see him in action.

Luckily I haven't watched the animated series nor bought any of the tys, they are too cheesy for me.

I haven't visited this topic in quite a while, so a quick comment about the movie plot;

So, devastator finds an ancient weapon that will use the sun to destroy earth? Very interesting, and I can't wait to see him in action.

Say what?! When'd this happen? :wacko:

To date, as far as I know, no Animated Constructicon toys have been announced, shown, or leaked.

While Animated has a lot of G1 homages, it is not G1, so to say they ruined Soundwave's character is a bit unfair. Animated, like Bay's movie, is its own interpretation of the franchise. To me, Bay's Optimus, even with Peter Cullen supplying the voice, is a different OP than the one I grew up with. His look and the writing for the character set him apart from his cartoon incarnation, and likewise Animated Optimus.

I'm not really a fan of Bay's movie, for sundry reasons. The second movie looks the same to me, just on a much larger scale. Kudos to Bay for shooting in Giza. The Great Pyramid looks great in that one scene. I get a far, far greater sense that the producers of Animated really care about their characters and the franchise's history; despite their attestation of fandom, Orci and Kurtzman didn't convince me with their script for the first movie. It had big robots that morphed into vehicles, but they felt like mobile set pieces rather than actual characters. I didn't like Sam's character, either, and he has to sell the movie since it's really all about him. The bots are backdrop. From the trailers, it looks like the bots will have more focus in the second, just upscaled and with more bots thrown in the mix. I'm sadly unenthused. I wish Spielberg had hired James Cameron to direct. :cry_sad:

To date, as far as I know, no Animated Constructicon toys have been announced, shown, or leaked.
Then i'm not missing out. Cool.
While Animated has a lot of G1 homages, it is not G1, so to say they ruined Soundwave's character is a bit unfair. Animated, like Bay's movie, is its own interpretation of the franchise. To me, Bay's Optimus, even with Peter Cullen supplying the voice, is a different OP than the one I grew up with. His look and the writing for the character set him apart from his cartoon incarnation, and likewise Animated Optimus.

Exactly. Anyways it would be boring if every franchise interpeted the characters in the same fashion.

I'm not really a fan of Bay's movie, for sundry reasons. The second movie looks the same to me, just on a much larger scale. Kudos to Bay for shooting in Giza. The Great Pyramid looks great in that one scene. I get a far, far greater sense that the producers of Animated really care about their characters and the franchise's history; despite their attestation of fandom, Orci and Kurtzman didn't convince me with their script for the first movie. It had big robots that morphed into vehicles, but they felt like mobile set pieces rather than actual characters. I didn't like Sam's character, either, and he has to sell the movie since it's really all about him. The bots are backdrop. From the trailers, it looks like the bots will have more focus in the second, just upscaled and with more bots thrown in the mix. I'm sadly unenthused. I wish Spielberg had hired James Cameron to direct. :cry_sad:

I don't think that its really fair to compare the movie to the animated series (or any animated series for that matter). In any series were both the bots and humans are the same animation, there's really no excuxe not to make the story focused around the bots and character development. A live action movie is different. I'm sure we all would have loved to see nothing but bots in the first movie, but lets be realistic. Buget just wouldn't allow that to happen. I agree that the decepticons could have some how had more individual character development, but i think the over all feel was make them evil and "scary" ( for a lack of better words) whitch i think Bay captured. I do feel that the Autobots were well defined. Some more than others of corse, but its nearly impossible to define every character in a 2 hour movie. That said, considering the amount of bots that will be in the second movie, i'm not sure if the character devlopment is going to be much better. But half of the cast is returning, so we don't need to revist them in to much detail. Hopfully we'll get a good understanding of the fallen, and Soundwave. I also expect Star Scream will have a much more dominate role and will have more than just 2 lines.

As far as Sam goes, i think his role was very important, not only for the overall movie plot, but for the autobots characters. Espeacialy Bumble Bee.

Then i'm not missing out. Cool.

Exactly. Anyways it would be boring if every franchise interpeted the characters in the same fashion.

I don't think that its really fair to compare the movie to the animated series (or any animated series for that matter). In any series were both the bots and humans are the same animation, there's really no excuxe not to make the story focused around the bots and character development. A live action movie is different. I'm sure we all would have loved to see nothing but bots in the first movie, but lets be realistic. Buget just wouldn't allow that to happen. I agree that the decepticons could have some how had more individual character development, but i think the over all feel was make them evil and "scary" ( for a lack of better words) whitch i think Bay captured. I do feel that the Autobots were well defined. Some more than others of corse, but its nearly impossible to define every character in a 2 hour movie. That said, considering the amount of bots that will be in the second movie, i'm not sure if the character devlopment is going to be much better. But half of the cast is returning, so we don't need to revist them in to much detail. Hopfully we'll get a good understanding of the fallen, and Soundwave. I also expect Star Scream will have a much more dominate role and will have more than just 2 lines.

As far as Sam goes, i think his role was very important, not only for the overall movie plot, but for the autobots characters. Espeacialy Bumble Bee.

I wasn't comparing the movie to the Animated series, per se, but more the production of each, and ultimately, how each speaks to me personally. When I watch Animated, I feel like the guys making the show, from writers, to character design, to the voice actors, everybody loves this stuff genuinely. When I watch Transformers the Movie, I get the feeling the guys behind this movie like flashy cars, explosions, and frat humor. It's no secret that Bay knew very little about Transformers before agreeing to helm the movie, and he had to be persuaded by making a movie about a boy and his car. It wasn't pitched as the ongoing struggle between two factions of large robots who happen to have the uncanny ability to masquerade themselves as indigenous technology.

For those who liked the first, you've got something to look forward to this summer. As for me, I disliked much more about the movie than I liked. I didn't find the Decepticons scary; I found them almost lacking entirely. I absolutely hated Frenzy and Megatron. Nothing about these characters was cool to me. Blackout was probably the best Decepticon in the movie: he had a cool alt, he was the strong "silent type", and I thought it looked neat when he transformed during the city battle. I liked the tone of the movie's beginning at SOCCENT. Why couldn't Sam have been a new Army recruit? Seeing these alien robots from his point of view would have kept a more serious tone, and overall the movie may have been better. Well, it's like anything else; everybody has their own opinion and are seldom swayed. It would be a completely different movie if I had made it, but thus far, no one has thrown a a couple hundred million dollars at me and asked for my direction. :laugh: So for now, Bay's fans will get more of what they like, and grumps like me will gnash our teeth and cry "why?", and hope that some more like-minded director will pick up the franchise when Bay's done and make the movies that we want to see, whilst all the Bayformer fans cry "why?" :grin::tongue:

Edited by M'Kyuun

Hello there. :classic: I thought I'd just say what I think of Transformers. I'm not a big fan as some of you seem to be, but I think I'm starting to get into it. As a little kid, I enjoyed playing with the few transformer toys I had. However, I never saw the cartoon, so I never knew their story. I had almost forgotten about transformers when Bay's movie came out. I found myself enjoying the movie, even though I can understand everybody's complains about the lack of story. Now, I am a big fan of the new show Transformers Animated. The style and animation appeal to me, and the story is well written IMO. The season 3 opener was awesome, and it has been a good season so far (except for the episode with the constructicons :hmpf: ). I was really hoping that they woudn't cancel it anytime soon, but according to Wikipedia, there are only a few episodes left, and the last two are titled "End Game". :cry_sad: Oh well.

As I enjoyed the first Bay movie, I'm kinda looking forward to the upcoming one. I just hope that the movie will re-boost interest in transformers among kids so that they make another season for the cartoon! :sweet:

Btw, has anyone seen the sneak peek of "Human Error - Part 1" on the CN website? It's hilarious! :laugh: They designed the human versions of the Autobots very well IMO. Can't wait for the rest of the episode!

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I watched the preview of "Human Error" yesterday. Looks really good, and I'm sure there'll be some good humor in the episode. Have to agree that the weakest episode in season 3 was the one with Dirt Boss and the Constructicons. I guess it's cool that they fashioned them like the stereotypical construction worker, but it gets old quick, to me anyway.

I'm going to miss this show, and I don't watch much tv. I look forward to eps with Sentinel Prime..they've written him so well as the pompous megablocks you'd love to see fail, or get put in his place. The back and forth between Sentinel and Optimus is a treat. I also love Jazz's coolness... evocative of Scatman Crother's (R.I.P.) original. Overall, I dig both the similarities and differences between this show and the original series. It's not a copy, but there's enough of the old and new to please most fans. While I wasn't crazy about the art direction at first, it has grown on me. I love the toys. Ultimately, the writing and the homages make the show for me. Armada, Energon, Cybertron, and RID had CG characters and was generally pretty "clean" in its animation, but I couldn't bear to watch them. For lack of a better word, they were so incredibly cheesy. Animated is the first TF series since BW and BM that I've really enjoyed. All the more reason I shall shed a bitter tear of remorse in a few weeks.

2 minute footage of RotF is awesome.

Sucks. The web site that is hosting the trailer is password prtected. After a bit of searching i was able to find the last 57 seconds of it. Looks great! This is going ot be a good one!

I've been looking around for the footage too, but the only things that I could find are this, and this. From what I've seen, it looks pretty good! :sweet: Can't wait!

Also, has anyone seen

? Sorry if it's old news. Those are some pretty sweet cars, especially Sideswipe! :wub:

The first part of "Human Error" was pretty good, even though I had expected it to be a bit funnier. I'm curious for part 2.

I've been looking around for the footage too, but the only things that I could find are this, and this. From what I've seen, it looks pretty good! :sweet: Can't wait!

Also, has anyone seen

? Sorry if it's old news. Those are some pretty sweet cars, especially Sideswipe! :wub:

The first part of "Human Error" was pretty good, even though I had expected it to be a bit funnier. I'm curious for part 2.

Ya, thats the footage that i saw too. Apparently the original footage was taken down after only 12 hours as it was only meant to be up for a short time. Somthing to hold off fans till the second trailer comes out this friday during Wolverine.

I was lucky enough to see it before it got taken down. Bumblebee is pretty funny, and I'm glad that his voice isn't fixed yet. The voice he had at the end of the 1st movie didn't seem to fit him.

Okie guys, Time for some, well, stuff.

Firstly, after a few failed attempts at finding a way to fix Brawls arm problem, I just flipped the panel things that you opened up t make his arms come out, back closed, and it works perfectly!

Next, I got to see Mixmaster, Rampage, and Demolisher toys. Mixmaster is STUNNING. He is by a far my favorite set of this year's movie sets, followed by The Fallen and Starscream. I mean WOW, a fun transformation, awesome vehicle and Robot modes, and great detail. In addition, he is a triple changer, featuring an anti-air turret as his third mode. Rampage is okay, but I find his treads to be in the way. Fun transformation though. He also is a triple changer, to a jackhammer mode, where he can bounce up and down. Demolisher has an okay vehicle mode, and an average robot mode. His wheels don't even spin in robotmode, and even when they do, you have to push hard on him. At least his arms move fairly well.

Questions welcome.

I really like Rampage. Especaily his bot mode. How were you able to see and handle aoo these bots? Were you able to play with devestator?

ON a side note i went to go see Wolverine this weekend. From what i'e read they said they were going to show the preview for ROTF. Well guess what? They didn't. :thumbdown::angry: I was pissed. Aparatly there two sets of previews for this movie and i got the shit box ones. :hmpf_bad: Not cool.

Oh well, i just saw it on line, and it looks fantastic! Devestator swallows Mud flap!

1) I have associations with someone who has some of these.

2) Naw, I wish I did though.

WOW!!!!! During the season finale of 24, they showed a new preview for the movie!

They showed Jetfire transforming and......

DEVESTATOR COMBINING!!!!!! Awesome, just pure awesome!!!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: