interestedpen

[MOC] Lego Game of Thrones - Winterfell (+CUUSOO Modular Castles)

I recently built this MOC of Winterfell courtyard from the Game of Thrones TV series. It's part of a CUUSOO idea for Modular Castle sets, which features well known castles, both fictional and non-fictional. This is the first proper moc I've built.

The model comes in easy-to-assemble sections, which can also be moved around.

The first section I built was the ravenry. The walls are removable, and the plan is to fit hinges on to the roof later on for full accessability. The ravnery also has cages to store the messenger birds.

Please support on cuusoo here: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/36041 :classic: :classic: :classic:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ned Stark entering the castle:

9396519630_8ee5fe657c_c.jpg

9393749503_6f6f26b8bf_c.jpg

9396539538_a10ecc1c8c_c.jpg

9396555196_496236d43a_c.jpg

9396547666_62d0cf58ff_c.jpg

The castle entrance:

9393757215_8d734cf2e9_c.jpg

Full view:

9396531892_4b4da78497_c.jpg

Here are some images of the actual thing:

498aa240c4a8.jpg

tumblr_ly25vzSxDc1r9h4heo1_500.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Please leave some feedback and constructive criticism in the comments! Also, please support the project at: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/36041

Edited by interestedpen

I can definitely say that it is well designed. Out of curiosity, are you planning to add things like wagons, torches, barrels, etc. to add to the scenery?

Amazing and accurate design too; you should definitely try your hand at a King's Landing in the future.

Thanks Leo, :classic:

Yes, I'm planning on making more castle MOCs, both from Game of Thrones, and other well-known castles, so King's Landing is a strong possibility!

Yes, the current castle sets are good but they don't really have enough detail of the actual castle buildings, and are a bit small, whereas this cuusoo is for larger more detailed castles :classic:

I'm just wondering if I have put this is the right thread? Does Game of Thrones count as Historic? :wacko:

About as much as Lord of the Rings does. Game of thrones is loosely based on War of the Roses in history.

That's a fantastic MOC, very detailed, very accurate. Certainly something to be proud of, and I hope you make more GOT locations

But as a Cuusoo project, it'll never happen. Sorry to be blunt, but there's no way around it. Game of Thrones is an adult book/TV series, featuring entirely adult themes. You can't make a children's toy out of it. The first episode features beheading, dismemberment, child cruelty, sex, nudity, prostitution, incest and only a few occasional fluffy puppies. And that's just the surface details. GOT is a politically-charged drama with almost-exclusively morally-questionable characters.

It's a fantastic show of course, and create inspiration for AFOL building, but as marketing and selling a children's toy? No. LEGO already refused the Shaun of the Dead project, and that was a slapstick comedy.

Have to agree with Bobsy, TLG wouldn't touch GOT or ASOIAF with a ten-foot pole. It is a nice MOC though.

I am afraid to say I have to agree with the posters before me, GoT is to mature. Modular castles however, I really hope they will set a standard. This way a lot of different groups can stop their bickering whether or not the standard should be this or that. Then again, the King's Castle 70404 seems to somewhat do that. That, and we AFOL's just have to many conditions our castles need to meet :tongue:

As for your MOC, I like the layout and the design. The only thing missing is the lively feeling, eg. it seems to empty at this moment to 'feel' like a castle where folks live and work. (also, you make me want to unpack my LEGO tonight instead of finishing rooms xD)

Love the idea, and love the way you approached it, but everything seems a little... flat. I think your models would benefit greatly with a little more three dimensional detailing on the vertical surfaces. Give everything more of an illusion of being aged. Very faithful to the movie sets though.

Thanks for the compliments and feedbacks guys! :classic:

I hope you make more GOT locations

:classic: Yes, I'm planning on building more GoT castles, but they will probably just be on LDD I'm afraid!

As for the whole cuusoo wouldn't produce GoT thing, sorry I wasn't clear enough! :look: The CUUSOO project is just for Modular Castles, not focusing on GoT. I've just used this MOC as an exampe for a possible castle. It's basically UCS castle sets.

Yeah, I know there's the king's castle set, but it's not really the kind of thing I'm suggesting. The castle itself is a bit basic and small. My idea is to have bigger, more detailed casltes aimed at the higher age range, maybe not with so many minifigs, so the focus is on the actual building. :D

Love the idea, and love the way you approached it, but everything seems a little... flat. I think your models would benefit greatly with a little more three dimensional detailing on the vertical surfaces. Give everything more of an illusion of being aged. Very faithful to the movie sets though.

Thanks for the feedback kibosh. Yes, I have to agree with you about it being a bit "flat". I tried to deal with that a bit by adding in some modified pieces and a little s.n.o.t. , but it still does look a quite flat. Have you got any tips or examples which might help?

Edited by interestedpen

I think adding greebles(in this case banners, birds, etc) to the higher vertical structures could break it.

Then again, in real life everything varies ever so slightly so that a flat surface doesn't look so flat. In LEGO, where all the 1x4s are exactly the same, we don't have the luxury and walls generally tend to look the same very quick. Perhaps more colours of grey will break the flat wall a bit?

Hello, glad to see another GOT's fan. Well done with wooden building, I love them.

A couple of months ago I displayed Winterfell layout at ItLUG Ballabio. I built Winterfell and Dondarrion's cave, my friend (Marco Cancellieri) Black Castle with The Wall.

At ItLUG Latina (April), we displayed the diorama plus The Twins (Itaria_no_shintaku made it).

Have a look:

Winterfell & Black Castle

182+ItLUG+Ballabio+7lug13.jpg

Large view , The Wall, Black Castle

Winterfell

GOT Diorama

Enjoy it.