JimBee

REVIEW: 21050 Create Your Own Architecture

Set Rating  

59 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, how do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Because it is the first of its kind ..

It's not. Read caperberry's exellent blog about it here :

http://www.newelementary.com/2013/07/like-virgin.html

I see as it's sort revival of Modulex geared towards architects. It could probably also be used as a parts pack along with the other Architecture sets to design new buildings. As a regular set for Afols, it probably has little value though. I know I got all the parts as they're quite common ..

Id like to get hold of that book, as a student wanting to eventually amount to an architect.

thats a cool set, easy on legos part, thanks for the review! :classic:

I'm sorry - it's just 1x1 plates. I'd have loved tiles as well. =(

Aw. That's too bad. I was completely fooled by the picture of the parts call out, and I even checked another source as well to be sure ;(

Not bad at all, I voted "Above Average".

I really need some of those plastic trays though! :drool: I had a good idea for incorporating them into a build :wink:

Well if it doesn't sell, TLG just can just rebox it as LEGO Star Wars Battle of Hoth Diorama Builder Set.

Awesome review! I heard about this a couple days ago, it looks awesome, but it's way too expensive. I get that it comes with a book and everything, and LOTS of bricks, but still, I won't be paying that price for it. I would if I somehow got my hands on some extra cash, but there's always other things to spend on. :wink:

Thank you for posting such a thorough and informative review. I went out on impulse and bought the set the day after it came out at B&N. I've since spent some time with it and believe the book is the biggest reason for picking up the set. I'm by no means a student of architecture, but always interested to learn-- the book is extremely high-quality and it is packed with excellent, thought-provoking information. Long-term, I think it will increase my enjoyment of the set quite a bit (I haven't made big progress in the book-- I went right for the bricks of course!). I do agree that more storage boxes could have been provided-- I'm the kind of builder who likes to have all pieces of a certain shape well-organized, so the containers provided with the set (though high-quality and convenient) didn't come close to meeting my needs for in-box storage. I went out and picked up a bunch of small, stackable plastic food storage containers today, and plan to sort tonight. After spending time with the set, I have to say my two biggest complaints are: 1. not enough of key pieces (especially trans-clear 1x2 plates, which I need to explore Micropolis-type buildings, and 2. the mono-color. I appreciate the thought behind making all the pieces white (to free you up for maximum creativity), but I found the lack of color detracted from my enjoyment of the set. The book makes a point of being a list of ideas, theories, and inspirations-- and it is that-- but if you want to build real buildings (not just conceptual models), I found the all-white a letdown. While it would have been impractical to include any decent color assortment in a set like this, seeing all those white bricks on my dining room table has proven to be less inspiring than I'd first hoped. Anyway, just my impressions after putting in a few hours with the set. Overall I like the concept, and I hope TLG releases more open-ended sets like this in the future.

I just picked this box (set?) up tonight. I won't have time to do much with it until next week though. The first thing I noticed is how heavy it is. It feels heavier than a 2000 piece modular, when I opened it I found out why... it is because the book is heavier than the parts. Of course I bought it for the book as I am sure I already have all the parts. I am looking forward to reading and learning more.

Oh yeah, I looked on Bricklink and eBay and folks have it already listed for $180 to $200+ Will people really buy it at those prices? Why not just go to Amazon or direct from LEGO Shop @ Home?

Andy D

P.S. Thanks for the great review. It is the reason I bought it so early. I to look for more open-ended sets from LEGO.

Edited by Andy D

I picked this up at the local LEGO store today, and I'm definitely impressed.

I'm in college right now, studying to be a structural engineer, and as such have a thing for architecture.

I have the entire Architecture line, so initially I was going to buy this just for the completist factor, but I was intrigued by the possibilities of the book.

I also went to the B&N event this past weekend, and I like the brick selection. There's a few slopes and wedges in there I hadn't seen before, as well as the double-sided grooved blocks. Sadly, they didn't have the book available for viewing, though.

If you are interested in seeing the book before you buy, the "instructions" for 21050 are available in .pdf form at the LEGO.com site, all 272 pages of it.

It is essentially an introductory architecture text, introducing the concepts of sketching, inspiration, scale, texture, voids, density, modules, repetition and many more. TLG worked with world-class architecture firms including KRADS, MAD, REX, SOM, Sou Fujimoto, Winy Maas, Safdie and Tham & Videgaard. Real architects from these firms discuss concepts, then demonstrate how to use LEGOs to convey those concepts.

In my opinion, the book is fantastic, and as soon as I'm done with Finals next week, I'll be reading it cover to cover. The book by itself would easily cost upwards of $100 in any bookstore as an introductory or Architecture 101 text. Throw in over $100 worth of bricks and it's actually quite the bargain.

Incidentally, architecture and interior design concept models are nearly always 100% pure white, regardless of final intent, so the use of all white bricks is actually very accurate, and some of the firms in the book indicate that they occasionally will actually use LEGOs to represent buildings that they are designing, which is pretty cool.

I'm going to say 4.5 out of 5, only marking down because of what I see as a decided shortage of round pieces such as cones, antennae and peaks to go with the slopes that are provided.

Edited by rollermonkey

Wow! Thanks rollermonkey! I would not have thought to look for the book there, nor would I have thought LEGO would have put it there. I continue to be very, very impressed with LEGO as a company. Now i have a beautiful reference book that came with the set and I also have the book on my iPad for convenience.

I totally agree with a 4.5/5 as a score for this set. I plan to get some round small and large cones and other round pieces and other small pieces to enhance the set for building.

I also agree with the bargin, $100 in parts and $100 for the book!

Andy D

Oh yeah, I looked on Bricklink and eBay and folks have it already listed for $180 to $200+ Will people really buy it at those prices? Why not just go to Amazon or direct from LEGO Shop @ Home?

Andy D

It's only available in the US, and may stay that way.

If you want the download I suggest getting it now; surely TLG adding it online was an error. If it was intentional, they're complete idiots.

If you want the download I suggest getting it now; surely TLG adding it online was an error. If it was intentional, they're complete idiots.

I hope you are wrong about the error. I believe that there are two types of people who will download this book...

1. People like me who want both the book in paper and electrons.

2. People who cannot afford to buy the set but want the information.

Either way LEGO will sell parts. Either this set, on PAB or through the secondary market. I also believe having he book available as a PDF promotes a lot of good-will from LEGO, which is something I believe they do very well.

But just in case caprberry is right, get it while it's hot.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Odd that the set doesn't include parts that even come close to building what's seen in the photo on the box.

I like the space planning color diagram that results in a color LEGO three dimensional diagram/building. Odd that the set doesn't come with any color parts to let me explore this step in the design process.

Odd that the such a good-looking box can't be cleanly opened and re-closed. As an architect I'm a bit of a perfectionist and will want to be able to store the set in its box.

I like the overall concept for this set and gave it a 4/5. I hope it sells well so we will see more sets like it.

I hope you are wrong about the error. I believe that there are two types of people who will download this book...

1. People like me who want both the book in paper and electrons.

2. People who cannot afford to buy the set but want the information.

Either way LEGO will sell parts. Either this set, on PAB or through the secondary market. I also believe having he book available as a PDF promotes a lot of good-will from LEGO, which is something I believe they do very well.

But just in case caprberry is right, get it while it's hot.

Andy D

Mostly I think it was unintentional because that book has obviously cost them a lot of money to make; if they actually wanted to be charitable they wouldn't be charging $150 a set.

Like you I'd love it to be potential goodwill, but I (very rudely) called them potential idiots because they're a company not a charity, and this will lose them sales. How many? Maybe just the equivalent of a drop in the water as far as TLG are concerned, but probably more than that IMHO. A lot of FOLs seem to be on the fence about this set, feeling the parts don't offer value to them, but are interested in the book so are now very happy to download that for nothing. That's great and in no way am I condemning them, as (intentional or not) TLG have put it on their site for free download. I have no sympathy for TLG if it was an error - they've made mistakes in the past by uploading other instructions that shouldn't have been, most recently the 2013 Inside Tour model before the tours began. Plus the book contains exercises that can't be done with white elements, which devalues the experience of the set a bit to me.

I want the whole set. I want the printed book, to have the pleasant experience of reading real pages laid out as intended, and to do the exercises away from the computer. But since there is no word from TLG as to whether they will sell this set to me (as I do not live in the US), I have downloaded the book in case - plus of course to have a sneak peek at a few pages to get a feel!

Odd that the such a good-looking box can't be cleanly opened and re-closed. As an architect I'm a bit of a perfectionist and will want to be able to store the set in its box.

If there was any confusion on this point, the box can in fact be easily open and re-closed. I am storing the parts inside the box right now-- it is a sturdy box and can easily be opened and securely re-closed. That is one of the "plus" aspects of the set.

Well if it doesn't sell, TLG just can just rebox it as LEGO Star Wars Battle of Hoth Diorama Builder Set.

LMAO. Good one.

From what I have read in the book so far I really like it. I can see myself using the book until it is ragged, so think I may have to buy another copy of be set just to have a pristine book to put away for me, and an extra set of he white parts can't hurt either. I see myself using the ebook on my iPad when I am relaxing and be print copy at my build desk. The more I get into his set, the more impressed I am by it.

I agree, this set is not cheap, but I think that anyone who has any intest in it at all and any interest in learning some new architectural information/techniques (which should help with MOCing) and can scrape the $$'s together should get it.

This set is way more than a book and a bunch (or a few) parts.

Just MHO, YMMV.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I bought this at a B&N store more than a week before its official release. Love the book. Now that I've had it a couple of weeks, I just don't get/agree with the strategy of force feeding a bunch of white bricks into the equation. Charge $150, but instead of white bricks give me a credit towards purchasing the bricks I need through pick a brick. Or, simply sell the book as a stand alone item with information on Lego products and pick a brick.

One other thing. About creativity. I don't think people need books or bricks chosen by others to be creative. Just look at all of the MOCs on this website. Creativity, you got or you ain't got it. :-)

Like I've said other places, the book is great and could almost be the text for a class on design.

I can see this as a one time effort with a very limited market. Hopefully, once the set itself falls off the radar, the book will continue to be available.

The review is great. Thanks for all of the effort you put into it.

Edited by TomLego

It's only available in the US, and may stay that way.

Couldn't resist checking; yup the file is unavailable today [edit: OK, now it's back! Probably just my computer being dumb. Anyways...] I hope this incident causes TLG to finally get their act together re. not automatically posting every instruction book - I'm all for free distribution of information and am glad I got a copy of something they might never sell in this country... but overall, still have a chip on my shoulder that they published the Villy Thomsen instructions early! :thumbdown:

Edited by caperberry

Yup, the book looks great as a download! I may still buy the set after reading the book online. TLG is to be complimented for even attempting such a set these days in a world that has gone digital in almost every aspect. Building or growing something real with ones hands is something from which everyone can benefit.

It would be fun to source all the parts from BL in one totally different color....like beige/tan because so many buildings are that color. But I already have most if not all of those parts and many more to select from, which will make building much easier than being limited to the bricks in the set.

Thank you Jimbee for this insightful review. This set is something which have never been presented before and is clearly targeted at the builders who have a strong passion towards architecture building through usage of LEGO bricks to present them in abstract art.

Although the set may present itself in merely a collection of just monotonous white bricks, but the selling point is get builders who are interested in architecture designs to follow up with in-depth inspirational journey with renowned architects to share their processes and ideas in this very thick publication title that is part of this set. TLG has been very kind enough to actually release their content in their domain and allow us to really experience the full content for free and more importantly to show and allow us to appreciate this set to the fullest. I am quite aware that there are many people out there who is not buying the idea of this set as it is just clearly show that it is just a box filled with white part bricks. It is not as shallow as it seems. But I have to admit that the disappointing thing in this set, is the lack of bricks to allow the builder to build all of the inspirational design that clearly set the limitation of the different illustrating inspirations. To me, that can be quite frustrating.

Nonetheless, I am very pleased to see something very different and clearly understand that TLG indeed value the LEGO Architecture Product line. :sweet:

OMG! nice review! I really want this, but I was told it may be a while for it to come to Canada, because they need time to translate the booklets into French. I hope we don't have to wait too long!