Cwetqo

[REVIEW] 42009 Mobile Crane Mk II

There were already some reviews of this, but none here, so I decided to give it a try:

Set name: Mobile Crane Mk.2

Set number: 42009

Pieces: 2606

Year: 2013

Price: 199,99 eur (S@H)

Set no. 8421 Mobile Crane (http://brickset.com/detail/?set=8421-1) was for a long time, with its 1884 pieces, the largest technic set. With its fine looks

and combination of mechanical and pneumatic functions, it was also one of the most wanted ones and still is today, as can be seen from prices of used sets.

Because of that, a lot of people (including me) were waiting for decent succesor. In 2010 we got 8053 Mobile Crane (http://brickset.com/detail/?set=8053-1), but it was not in same league. It was smaller, with strange outriggers combinaton, just one stage extendable boom and no motors. It was nice set, but not real 8421 succesor.

When first rumors about 2h 2013 sets came out, I was very glad to see that new flagship will be another mobile crane. And after first fair pictures and

information that it will include more than 2600 pieces and that it will designed by same man as 8421 (Marcus Kossman), I was sold.

After long waiting it finaly came (I would like to thank Jan and CEE team for that) and here is my review:

Box is surprisingly small, similar to last years 9398, but its weight soon tells you that it carries something large.

img_0790.jpg

Front flap openes and here you can see this set's main functions, diagram of wheel turning ratios and other interesting things. You also get to see that this set is huge.

img_0795.jpg

On the rear side there is a picture of B-model. I dont like it, because it breaks one incredible large set into two sub-average ones.

img_0788.jpg

After opening the box, I was surprised (or not, considering number of pieces), to see that its almost full. There is almost no "billund air".

img_0802.jpg

There are total of 24 bags (with some smaller bags inside large ones), ten standard technic tires (same as on 8421), six (!) books with instructions), two

32L axles (one is spare, which is strange), three strings with studs, one very thick main string, standard PF battery box and one L-motor.

img_0806.jpg

img_0808.jpg

As said, there are total of six instruction booklets. After their covers we can see how build is divided: first three build carier, four and five

superstructure and sixth boom. Bags with parts are numbered and as can be seen from the picture, most parts go into section one.

img_0810.jpg

Back sides are strange mix, ranging from usual annoying "gagne" kid, club and web site commercials, to B-model, this years sets and even ordinary instruction page.

img_0812.jpg

There is also large sticker sheet:

img_0816.jpg

Not many new parts in this set. There are this 8T gears, which can freely slide on axles (used in outriggers) and new panels (can bee seen in photo of bag number six). I like those new gears, because they open different ways of implementing new functions. We get four of them so it should be easy to get them on BL. Regular 8T gears are also of newer type, but ve've seen them in 1H sets.

img_0832.jpg

Parts from bags number one. As wee can there's plenty of everything. In total there are almost 1000 of various pins (in complete set), large number of beams, gears and everything. Interesting parts are four mini-LAs, twelve (12) gear racks, three yellow square panels (I hope that will bring price down a little on BL) and some frames.

img_0822.jpg

We start the build with carrier vehicle. As we can see, steering is done differently than in 8421. There we had different gear ratio from main steering axle, but here all those are the same and different ratios are achieved with different offset of racks. Inner two axles have 4L offset for 13 degrees steering angle, rear axle 3L offset and 17 degrees maximum angle and front axle 2L offset and 21 degrees angle. 32L axle is used for turning all those wheels. Middle axle is not steered and it has differential and driver 8 cylinder fake motor.

img_0827.jpg

Outrigger modules are built separately and are almost identical for front and rear end. Build is very compact and it uses gear/rack combination for in/out function and sliding 16L axles for in up/down movement. Idea is nice, but there is just too much friction in complete mechanism for it to work ok. As result of that, up/down movement is very slow.

img_0836.jpg

Assembly put on carrier. Rear 24T gear used for steering can be partialy seen:

img_0858.jpg

Bags number 2 build the superstructure. As you can see from number of gears (more than 40) build gets realy complex here. I had to correct this part twice, because its easy to overlook something, but this is still the best building experience of all set. Here we get two normal LA-s and one additional square yellow panel.

img_0838.jpg

At the end, everything is nicely covered with panels:

img_0848.jpg

And finally, parts from bags number three. We get six new curved panels, which are uglier then old ones, but have more mounting holes. That enables to build self sustaining construction with them, which is also used here. With old one you could just cover someting, but with those you could build sturdy constructions.

img_0841.jpg

Assembled crane is huge and could not fit into my photo corner, so I apologise for some un-even background. I dont have 8421 at hand to compare, butm I'm sure this is bigger. Everything is nicely paneled and we even see method previously used only by MOC-ers: stacking of beams to get solid surfaces (that explains high number of beams). Carrier is too grey and could use some yellow. 8421 had that done better, with studded beams.

img_0843.jpg

Nice cabin (doors open):

img_0859.jpg

Back end is spoiled with battery. Again, 8421 did better here:

img_0844.jpg

Eight cylinder fake motor behind cabin. Its not covered, so piston movement could be easily seen:

img_0847.jpg

Lets go to functions: L-motor is placed in superstructure. Over 4 way transmission it delivers power to (clockwise, from upper left):

-lifting of main beam over two sync LA-s (similar to 8043, with same problem of wrong placement of bevel gear, which can not be solved so easily here)

-pulling of main wire with hook (not in snyc with extending of boom like on 8421, which is too bad). Also, hook is not metal, like in previous set.

-extending of boom (over gear racks and system of strings with studs, which enables to strecth both parts at the same time)

-powering of outriggers. This goes through turntable, to main carrier, where there is additional gearbox, which switches between lifting/lowering and pulling in/out.

All functions work very smooth, except lowering and lifting of outriggers. It looks like long way from superstructure through turntable to four mini LAs takes away too much power. All funtions are protected with white clucth gears, so its safe to give this set to play with even to smaller children. Steering also works very well, but radius seems to larger than on 8421.

Main gearbox:

img_0849.jpg

Outriggers gearbox (red lever):

img_0846.jpg

Boom extended and lifted to max. Again, that thing is huge.

img_0854.jpg

Ratings:

Looks: 9/10 - very well made, except for back side

Functions: 9/10 - almost perfect, with exception of too slow movement of outriggers and non-sync movement of main wire.

Parts: 8/10 - enough too keep everyone happy. Nothing too special though.

Value: 10/10 - 200 euro for 2600 parts, with motor, lots of LA-s and panels is very good value. I was expecting higher price.

Total: 9/10 - very nice set, better than most re-makes

Conclusion: I shifted opinions several times over this set, but after finishing it, I'm impressed. 8421 finally got decent succesor, which is in most parts

even better. The king is dead - long live the king!

What does "Skupaj" mean?

Kind of off topic, but does people here think that 42009 gives you ALOT more for your money than 42008? I know this is a trend with flagship sets, but especially the British price seems a little bit off, 149 pounds for 42009 and 99 pounds for 42008. At least I know which one of them I am getting...

Edited by Traktor

Very nice. Do Want! I was thinking the same thing when 8053 came out. It's so skinny and un-crane like. I had an opportunity to pick that set up for half the MSRP price and I still let it go. Not worth the money.

Guess he copied review from Slovenian forum...

Skupaj: 9/10 - zelo dobro izveden set. - together, all in all 9/10 very good executed set.

Edited by Zblj

:)))

In Russia "skupaj" means "Buy it, faster!!!". Really, I am not joking:)

Thanks for another review.

My 42009 is 5-th day lays unopened, can't find time to begin...

Edited by rm8

Exactly same for me... 5 days sitting on my table... Tomorrow is the day I build it

In Russia "skupaj" means "Buy it, faster!!!". Really, I am not joking:)

Thanks for another review.

Thats cruel...

Very good review! Now I don't have to write one. ;). I just finished building mine last night. I was at my cabin on a bay of the Pacific and got to build the biggest set ever while looking at the ocean. Best building experience ever!

Agree, good review and good pics. Makes me the more eager to get my hands on this crane myself :laugh:

Very good review! Now I don't have to write one. ;). I just finished building mine last night. I was at my cabin on a bay of the Pacific and got to build the biggest set ever while looking at the ocean. Best building experience ever!

Sounds good - personally I build on a room in my apartment :laugh:

Nice review :) How long does the arm extend?

Blackbird, will we get a crane comparison from you since you own them all? hint hint :p

Nice review, ..... love the crane. :wub: I can't wait to get my hands on it. :thumbup:

Cwetqo,

I also assembled my 42009 today.

When raising or lowering the boom till the end positions, bevel gear with pin hole between actuators and cabin slip with "crunch" sound.

Do you have such problem?

Cwetqo,

I also assembled my 42009 today.

When raising or lowering the boom till the end positions, bevel gear with pin hole between actuators and cabin slip with "crunch" sound.

Do you have such problem?

I think thats one of the LA's clutch slipping in order for the to align themselfes, because they get out of sync duto to the mirrored 20 tooth gears.

I think thats one of the LA's clutch slipping in order for the to align themselfes, because they get out of sync duto to the mirrored 20 tooth gears.

No, slipping is because there is no clutch gear at boom rising drivetrain

Nice review, just bought my 42009 and I am enjoying the build a lot.

However it seems people have spare 32L axles. I didn't find two in my box, just the one. I can see them being very useful in MOCs so is it worth raising the issue with TLG; ask for another one to be sent?

Cheers

~Azz