flailx

Victorian House/10228 Mod

I'm not sure whether this qualifies as a Mod or a MOC. I guess it's both. The exterior is an expansion/re-imagining of 10228. I used the same window design but with a 1/2 stud offset to give the windows a lower profile. Most of the design cues from 10228 have been carried over as well. I also added a bay window on the right and a two story set of bay windows on the left side of the house as well as a second chimney.

The house is built in the modular style and will eventually have a fully detailed interior. I will update with more pictures as I complete more of the house. The parlour is nearly done and most of the first floor is in progress - waiting on some pieces.

This is the biggest (and most expensive!) project I've attempted and I have big plans for this project, beyond just the interior and exterior.

Other images available here.

post-32340-0-15881300-1374675740_thumb.jpg

This is really a very nice reimagining of the HH. Is what you presented so far bricks or LDD? Either way, quite nice.

I really like both bay windows and the new chimneys.

I assume you started with a 10228. How many additional parts were required for the outside?

Thanks for sharing this and please do keep us informed.

Andy D

Wow really impressive MOD! I too really like both sets of bay windows, especially the two story one on the left! Unfortunately I missed out on the HH, I would have loved to make a modular building out of a HH set. I also love the deck (in Australia we would call it a verandah) out the front, really gives life to the front of the house and the section where the roof meets the house looks very realistic! Fantastic work all 'round!!!

I look forward to seeing the interior and the other 'big plans' you have in store! Happy building :laugh:

Is what you presented so far bricks or LDD? I assume you started with a 10228. How many additional parts were required for the outside?

This is bricks, though I did design it in LDD first. Lovely sand green and dark orange in all there expensive glory! And yes, I started with 10228. Pretty much all that remains of the set is the sand green and roof pieces. I changed the accent color from light blueish gray to white. This required a LOT of extra pieces. I'd say it's roughly twice the size of 10228. Thanks for the comments!

Wow really impressive MOD! I too really like both sets of bay windows, especially the two story one on the left! Unfortunately I missed out on the HH, I would have loved to make a modular building out of a HH set. I also love the deck (in Australia we would call it a verandah) out the front, really gives life to the front of the house and the section where the roof meets the house looks very realistic! Fantastic work all 'round!!!

I look forward to seeing the interior and the other 'big plans' you have in store! Happy building :laugh:

Thanks! The two story bay windows were a beast when it came to meeting the roof. There was a lot of trade off between durability and aesthetics. I am happy with the way it came out. Edited by flailx

What a great looking building! You had a good base to start from with the HH, but what you've done beyond that is really nicely done. I particularly like the greebling at the roof/wall intersection and the verandah.

I can't wait to see the interior images!

I really love this. This is the first thing I've ever looked at in this forum and it's set the bar of expectancy very high.

This is an awesome modification of the Haunted House! :wub: I love the colour combination you've used and the way that you have done the front verandah, particularly the tan trims and inverse arches.

A great redesign of HH. The white colour instead of LBG on corners and windows makes a very nice combination with sand green. My favourites are the verandah and the lower part made of 'brick' bricks. And the corners also look much nicer in bricks than pillars. Only the contrast between the house in sand green and the chimney in dark orange is maybe a bit too big (as seen on flickr pics), have you maybe considered to build it in brown?

Well done. :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words, Eurotrash, Mutant Orc, Kristel and Lightningtiger! :sweet:

Only the contrast between the house in sand green and the chimney in dark orange is maybe a bit too big (as seen on flickr pics), have you maybe considered to build it in brown?

Well done. :thumbup:

Actually, the dark orange chimneys are my favorite addition - I love how the color pops. Also, there are some Second Empire houses in our area that use that same color brick. Honestly, I would have prefered brown to look better - it would have been a lot cheaper! :wacko:

Amazing build. Very impressive. Very clean. I like it a lot.

The details are a nice added bonus. The little nooks and crannies here and there really add to the overall look.

I don't love the dark orange chimney as much, although I'm sure it is realistic in coloring. But the rest of the house is a great color scheme. And I love those bay windows (or are they bow windows based on the interior?).

That front door is top notch too. I love brick-built LEGO doors.

I really like what you've done! You've really expanded on a great idea, well planned and well executed.

Here's the parlour! It's mosly complete, though I may change the wall color and I will probably add some more details here and there.

parlour2.jpg

That's a great looking interior. The fireplace and mantle are well done, as are the bannisters. And that Red Leather chair looks comfy! I thing the color is right for a Victorian House and I wouldn't change it.

Beautiful build flailx, it looks fantastic. I can't decide to keep my haunted house dilapidated or try something like what you've done. I love this house :classic:

UPDATE: The first floor is nearly done. The library and dining room need work but the rest is pretty much done. More pics can be found here: Kitchen WIP 1

first-floor.jpg

Edited by flailx

Looking great so far! I love the details in the kitchen, particularly the crammed pantry and the pot with the veggies, as it reminds me of the homemade vegetable soup my Mum used to make.

Jaw-dropping! Not a big fan of victorian architecture but it is a solid build. What makes it shine though is the interior. Just..... Wow!

Fantastic house! I love the work on the interior as well.

You wrote "The house is built in the modular style", does that mean it would fit together with another modular house like Café Corner on two sides? Or is it "modular" because you can lift out each floor?

amazing interior, I think the proportions between the rooms and the object's in it are very good, keep on going.

Bart

It's only getting better with the interior pictures. The fridge in the kitchen is an eye catcher, but more than it, I like how you stacked plates and jars on the corner shelves. Also, the curtains in the kitchen are a lovely detail. The golden lamp in the parlor is fantastic, it really stands out in pearl gold. Library is a nice addition as well, I'd just put a comfy chair in there and start reading some nice A. Christie's books. Well done! :thumbup:

I'm really loving this creation. The interior I think looks fantastic! You've set the interior up nicely. I do like how you used the pipe piece for a bannister and what you did with the pantry in the kitchen. :laugh: