Hello all!

I want to present my MOC - remote controlled (RC) Grader.

49384771358_6e3aa631e2_b.jpg

Total construction time – about 4 months.

Total length without rigs – about 80 cm.

Weight – 5 kg.

Total parts quantity – 5200.

49385237686_914d51fd16_b.jpg

There are 12 independent RC functions:

five mechanical:

- All-Wheel Drive (3 x XL);
- Two-stage steering (1 x L – forward wheels steering, 2 x M – articulated chassis);
- Forward wheels tilt (1 x M);
- Mouldboard rotation (1 x L);

and seven pneumatic (5 x M – I used scheme with dependent and independent valves, as illustrated on picture below, so I exclude two additional motors):

- Forward and rear PPTOs;
- Mouldboard attack angle;
- Horizontal mouldboard shift;
- Diagonal mouldboard shift;
- Left and right main mouldboard cylinders.

The two-pump compressor is auxiliary function and it has independent RC too (1 x M).

All of these functions are provided by 17 Power Function motors connected to seven IR Receivers and two AA-Battery Boxes (electric scheme of the model you can see on the picture below).

49384771408_a60de65793_b.jpg

Model composition:

49385436792_91a7fb18e4_b.jpg

Total pneumatic hoses length – 14.8 m.

Scheme of pneumatic connections:

49385436492_8de0a458ab_b.jpg

The model has opening doors with locking, realistic mirrors and lights, some versions of rigs – forward (additional blade with pneumatic control or additional weight for mouldboard pressure increasing) and rear (pneumatic controlled ripper).

49385436632_5f58356497_b.jpg

49385234321_1198e20f54_b.jpg

49385436362_d167c875ef_b.jpg

49385436172_b2fb3d5779_b.jpg

Opening bonnet makes possible a visual control of pneumatic valves working.

Paralleling of the Power Function channels is realized by covering/uncovering some IR Receivers by using independent RC channel (mode switch). The mode switch consist of three M-motors, one of them is used for dependent pneumatic valves management.

The model is very big, so I create special platform for its transportation.

And a small video demonstration:

Thank you for your attention!

Edited by desert752

Awesomely complex! Did you do the software model after you completed the build?

Thank You! No, virtual model building is too difficult task for this project...

Awesome model with so many functions :wub: maybe the wheels are a tad small... my only criticism :grin:

Thanks! Yes, the wheels are a little smaller than the scale require :(

Awesome and yes you need bigger wheels or a smaller grader :laugh: . Many times I thought to build another one but there are too much functions for me...

That is a huge amazing MOC! :thumbup: :thumbup: Why do the front wheels have such excessive camber angle? Would power puller wheels work?

I guess 6 might not be in your budget.

Awesome model. I like the combination of studs and studless.

My recommendation for wheels would be to look into rc wheels. Check out this thread for lots of ideas. It would probably be cheaper than powerpuller wheels and you would have lots of choices for how the wheels should look.

I think that the camber angle is part of the steering somehow. Watch the video to see what i mean.

GOLIATH!

I hardly ever stop and comment in the Technic forum (Although I drop by every day to lurk) but this truly deserves recognition. I don't think I have ever seen a model packed with so many functions before!

It looks awesome and is fully functional, AND it looks great; good job!

You have an amazing amount of functions packed in there! The method of uncovering/covering the IR receivers is both simple and genius. Nicely done.

Absolutely amazing model of a totally unique subject. Incredible work not just on the model but on the presentation including the electrical and pneumatic functions. Do I understand correctly that the "mode switch" for the electrics happens by merely blocking the receiving port on the IR receiver? Do you have a picture of how this works? I am also interested to know how you command the pneumatic functions. Did you use autovalves?

Do I understand correctly that the "mode switch" for the electrics happens by merely blocking the receiving port on the IR receiver?

I believe it works by turning one battery pack on and the other off, not entirely sure though.

tim

I believe it works by turning one battery pack on and the other off, not entirely sure though.

tim

Curtain cover one receiver and open other to switch functions

I love graders and hope one day TLG will make a flagship of this subject.

This model is amazing! HAT OFF man for all the job and presentation with the schemes!! Big compliments again!

Why do the front wheels have such excessive camber angle?

The front wheels chamber angle is near zero! Front wheels can tilt simultaniously - this is the feature of the most graders.

Do I understand correctly that the "mode switch" for the electrics happens by merely blocking the receiving port on the IR receiver? Do you have a picture of how this works? I am also interested to know how you command the pneumatic functions. Did you use autovalves?

Yes, i did "shutter" that covers top part of the IR Receiver. I'll upload illustration later.

I did not use autovalves. I use some simple RC valves. Compact RC valve consists of M-motor, worm gear and 24t gear.

I considered this variant, but it is desirable to have the third battery box to realize it, that's why i found another solution.

The front wheels chamber angle is near zero! Front wheels can tilt simultaneously - this is the feature of the most graders.

Oh. That's called 3D steering, right?

What happens if you adjust the camber all the way, get to the max turning angle, and rotate the turntable all the way? Do you get very sharp turning?

Edited by TwentyLeggedHen

Awesome!

This is either witchcraft or the work of a mad genius!

Edited by grum64

This grader is amazing *huh* it's incredibly realistic and well done, great work :classic:

Wow, I'm speechless. The complexity with all the motors and then the pneumatics is mind numbing! Bravo Sir!

Oh. That's called 3D steering, right?

I don't know special term for this mechanism. Additional tilt angle is needed to compensate a front axle drift that is caused by the load on the mouldboard.