Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2014 Pictures and Rumors

The printing looks slightly different to me. The most notable part is the new legs which seem to be adjustable at the foot.

I doubt that the legs will actually be adjustable at the foot. I think (not positive, of course) that this is just a liberty that the animators took with the figure, much like they do with the arms of regular minifigs.

I doubt that the legs will actually be adjustable at the foot. I think (not positive, of course) that this is just a liberty that the animators took with the figure, much like they do with the arms of regular minifigs.

I agree. It looks pretty flimsy. Those things are full of animation liberties- hell Grievous is super poseable in these.

I doubt it as well. But I'm willing to think it's a possibility, Lego has surprised me before, and who knows they might have figured out a way to do it (After all they managed to make Iron Man's mask hinge open). If anything they could at least make the molding more detailed, even adding some printing to the legs would be a step up.

But I'm willing to think it's a possibility,

Nope. The only way they could do it is with the old style of hinges like 2880.gif. But those are out of production for years and except for the treasure chest every hinge is now with a click joint that is way too huge and blocky.

(After all they managed to make Iron Man's mask hinge open).

But the mask is much bigger and bulkier at the joint. If we want to keep R2s feet at 1x2 studs it doesn´t work, either R2 generally needs to be bigger or they have to use the old style hinges which were discontinued because of their small size which makes them more prone to breaking.

If anything they could at least make the molding more detailed, even adding some printing to the legs would be a step up.

They already have enough problems making the printing on the domes and torsos with all those overlapping and false fitting dots, I would prefer them getting that right first. And seeing how the only kind of printing they could do on R2 would be a blue stripe on the side and maybe those tiny cables on the feet (which are verging on going too far) I would prefer them making Phase 1 clone pilot helmets or any other kind of piece first. When battledroids can stay one color on their joints there is no reason to give R2 some.

If anything has to be changed at R2 it would have to be the torso with a pin hole at the bottom like in the good old times (so LEGO could use the pin+cheese technique to give R2 a third leg) instead of the cross hole and with a single stud on top instead of four so R2 can turn his head without taking the fig apart.

I can´t believe anybody really thought that R2 would be indicative of a new figure. Let alone LEGOs general unwillingness to chrome parts and the impossibly small and unstable joints: they use the exact same 3D model of R2 (minus the shiny texture on the dome maybe) in their films for several years now.

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

Nope. The only way they could do it is with the old style of hinges like 2880.gif. But those are out of production for years and except for the treasure chest every hinge is now with a click joint that is way too huge and blocky.

I don't see why they couldn't just make a piece that works like the hip joint. Make it into two pieces. The leg piece that connects to the main body and then a foot piece that clicks onto the bottom of the leg piece like the leg piece fits onto the hip piece of a minifigure. Perhaps something like this: http://www.flickr.co...07/9731215285/

While I don't think it's likely Lego will ever add a joint there, I do think that such a joint is possible. I mean if we can put a man on the moon... Lol.

Could the Utapau BP be in the same format as the Saleucami one, having figures from both sides? Since we're already getting Neyo in the Saleucami BP, we could see maybe Cody, a 212th trooper, or a crab droid in the Utapau one.

I don't see why they couldn't just make a piece that works like the hip joint. Make it into two pieces. The leg piece that connects to the main body and then a foot piece that clicks onto the bottom of the leg piece like the leg piece fits onto the hip piece of a minifigure. Perhaps something like this: http://www.flickr.co...07/9731215285/

While I don't think it's likely Lego will ever add a joint there, I do think that such a joint is possible. I mean if we can put a man on the moon... Lol.

And what would be the point of adding a joint there, exactly? It wouldn't add much poseability to the figure, and only make it more flimsy.

And what would be the point of adding a joint there, exactly? It wouldn't add much poseability to the figure, and only make it more flimsy.

Well R2 has a joint there in the movies, so really it would just be for accuracy I guess, and slightly more poseability options (I would like them to at least add the third foot one day). And I never said they should do it. Nor do I think they ever will. I was just discussing whether or not such a joint is possible or not. It was just a hypothetical scenario.

Edited by strangely

Pictures marked confidential are not allowed to be posted on the forum.

Edited by Big Cam
removed confidential stamped pictures.

:facepalm: ToaJaller!

Anyway, I don't see the point in the extra joint on R2 either. :classic:

Is it too much to ask for a 3rd leg or a rotating head? :pir-hmpf_bad:

Did he post the confidentials again? What happened?

Looks like it. Remember, pictures stamped 'Confidential' are prelims intended only for retailers' eyes. You are not allowed to embed them here. (Linking is not technically against the rules, but in all likelihood we'll remove the links at TLG's request.) If you see someone else posting these images, please use the 'Report' button to let a staff member know.

The R2-D2 looks like the one from the yoda chronicles, a same discussion about grievous happened earlier, if this the new one I can't see the new joint so I don't know how TLG have figured it out.

The R2-D2 looks like the one from the yoda chronicles, a same discussion about grievous happened earlier, if this the new one I can't see the new joint so I don't know how TLG have figured it out.

I doubt LEGO will actually bother with a new joint. I think the current R2 Is good enough.

I doubt LEGO will actually bother with a new joint. I think the current R2 Is good enough.

Yes, and it would be quite odd if TLG release one variant of R2 in the sail barge then a different one in the ewok village and another variant the next wave.

Yes, and it would be quite odd if TLG release one variant of R2 in the sail barge then a different one in the ewok village and another variant the next wave.

Since when did the Sailbarge have a different variant from the Ewok Village?

Since when did the Sailbarge have a different variant from the Ewok Village?

I thought the ewok village had the R2 with a shiny dome.

I thought the ewok village had the R2 with a shiny dome.

It does. (Received the set for my birthday :grin: )

-Sci

It does. (Received the set for my birthday :grin: )

-Sci

I have both, and I never noticed any difference. They both had the light bley dome. But back on topic now...

I have both, and I never noticed any difference. They both had the light bley dome. But back on topic now...

stay on target! :P

2014 LEGO Star Wars looks kind of lame. I hope the unseen sets are worthwhile, or at least the minifigs are. Some redesigns would certainly be refreshing!