Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2014 Pictures and Rumors

What on earth?! While fans of other themes scrape together their armies fig by fig (Oh why not pay another 6 Euro for ONE more Eomer, to use his legs and helmet and throw away the rest?), Star Wars gets such splendid battle packs?! Makes me want to become a SW-collector.

I want to hear not one complaint about these!

OK, throw in a new plant piece in nice olive green in a random battle Star Wars pack, because the figs are only perfect already.

(Please read this with a grain of salt, I do not want to offend anyone. It's just pure envy.)

dear lord this line sucks... dont see a single must buy!!!! hope the police gunship will at least be cool. royal guards? perhaps removing the ligth saber hilt so it is just a grey stick would improve their guardiness.

i cry everytime i see those new blasters.

Nice to finally get a closer look on the upcoming sets.

Being more of an OT fan, the only set that caught me instantly is the 'Death Star Troopers'. Time was due for the Imperial gunners. Considering the name of the BP, i was expecting at least one of them: http://starwars.wiki...th_Star_Trooper They are simply supposed to be aboard any Death Star you might encounter along the way. :laugh:

Apart from this, the new blasters might look awkward and oversized. Lego being a toy - to redesign them into having a playbility feature is a logical step, IMHO. I preferred the old ones but millions of kids will love the new ones. Thus i accept the choice.

Whether i will go for other sets will strongly depend on the pricing. Seeing the tags for the upcoming Hobbit sets i am absolutely upset: Price in Germany (in USD) = (USD + 10) x 1.3465 :angry: Are we already so much wealthier? Before starting to rant, i better stop and hope for an ISD and a Cloud City to complement this wave. :wink:

Edited by Ki-Adi-Mundi

The funny thing is, I was literally pressed up against the box of the AT-AP when it was unveiled at SDCC (trying to get my raffle ticket for a super hero fig) and couldn't have cared less about it, but now that I look at it more and more it's probably the set I want the most. I'm thinking this has more to do with my recent rewatching and subsequent appreciation of the prequel trilogy than anything else.

I agree that the Royal Guard's faux-sabers look weird, but I'm guessing their are ways to MOC it- a 6L grey bar with a painted tip would probably be perfect, or even a 4L antenna attached to a lightsaber hilt would at least distinguish it from actual lightsabers.

Still curious about the police gunship and tri-fighter!

There are few new trends that can be deduced from this new Lego SW lineup.

First, economic crisis is beating its best, buying power is at its lowest in years. So much focus on these so-called BPs aka. small sets with figures and random building blocks that don't deserve the name of playsets (Octuppara droid forfeited it) tells you only that Lego puts most focus on the cheapest sets (usually the highest profit margin sets) and count on return on investment through auxiliary buys (the additional box that a grumpy parent puts in its caddy when already at the cashier so he doesn't need to listen to the child's begging and whining anymore, telling himself, ok, it's "only" 15 bucks and the child would be happy).

Second, and its ensuing from the logic of the first, Lego shifts focus of the SW line from more AFOL-oriented to exclusively kid-friendly. Another one bites the dust. Therefore, instead of getting more structure sets and faithful display models (and here I'm not talking UCS, mid-scale sets from few years ago were a very nice indicator that Lego catered to its AFOL-community as well) we are getting the bloody pea-shooters as someone here called them. That shift in focus I honestly don't understand, business-wise. Lego SW line has the biggest price premium of all the licensed sets, if I was a parent, I'd be more likely to buy my children larger set from another theme, especially in a period that Star Wars buzz is at its lowest in years (compare to Hobbit, Super Heroes, etc.). So who buys Star Wars in this period (in any period)? Enthusiasts like us. Slightly higher purchasing power than the average kid that's into Lego.

And what do they feed us? 'Swooshable' ships? Pea-shooters? Spring shooters? Minifigures for army building? :look: Help me to understand. Especially seeing how everybody is drooling over the minifigs, that are, objectively very detailed and good looking, but wth?! There is like 0.0002% of this community that will use these minifigs for awesome army displays like this one. What about the rest, what's so exciting about having n! minifigures of one kind?

While still awaiting Invisible Hand, Separatists Battle-cruiser, C-9979 landing craft (God-forbid Lucrehulk-class), endless great structures and that's without even getting to the famous Cloud City/Mos Eisley OT debate.

I just don't seem to follow TLG logic on SW, that's all. It's a 419 euros Death Star that brought me out of my dark ages, not Imperial Dropship battlepack with nice stormtroopers back in the day...

... especially in a period that Star Wars buzz is at its lowest in years (compare to Hobbit, Super Heroes, etc.). ...

While still awaiting Invisible Hand, Separatists Battle-cruiser, C-9979 landing craft (God-forbid Lucrehulk-class), endless great structures and that's without even getting to the famous Cloud City/Mos Eisley OT debate.

I dont think LSW theme buzz is at its lowest. For the past 5 years we have had 5 CW series which have brought in a large audience (young and old) and the recent Disney takeover and announcement of the 7th film have peaked the public's interest in SW again.

On one hand I do agree with you that there is a lot more (ships, structures, etc) that Lego can release. On the other hand as a mainly minifigure collector I am grateful that I have the chance to get a lot of minifigures by spending little money on the sets. My wallet is thankful for the occassional break like this. I do wish Lego released at least one major set (the AT-AP doesn't count in my eyes). But then again we may get something nice in the "UCS" line.

I'm looking forward to the DS Troopers BP and the Kashyyyk Troopers BP. The models are passable and the figs are nice!

There are few new trends that can be deduced from this new Lego SW lineup.

The only thing 'new' about this wave is that there are more sets in each price category than before. If you take a look at the winter waves for the last five years, you'll see that they always top out with a $60-price-range set and always contain some small sets. There's nothing new about this at all. Now LEGO has just added more sets with 3! battle-pack price-range sets plus a replacement line for the planet sets, and also 3 in the 25-30 price range.

And all this hollering about 'just minifigures' is nonsense. Did you notice the Jedi Interceptor, V-Wing, Wheel Bike (which very much needed an update), plus rumored Tri-Fighter and Police Gunship? All of those are barely MF-centric at all.

If you don't like PT stuff, it's understandable that this wave is a bit of a let down, but there's nothing new in terms of 'market strategy' going on here. And don't worry, since this time next year we'll be seeing a wave full of stormies and new random Rebels things, I'd bet.

I think those complaining about how heavy this wave is with PT/CW sets need to consider the future. The "Rebels" TV show will be coming out next fall, and if Lego reacts in any way similar to how they reacted with the debut of the CW series, we'll see a summer wave of almost exclusively OT/Rebels sets. From then on, "Rebels" sets will most likely be as prevalent as the CW sets have been for the past few years, meaning OT fans most likely have a bright future ahead of them while it will be the PT/CW fans' turn to complain.

I am willing to bet that we get so many PT/CW sets this wave because the next wave will be just the opposite: Lots of OT vehicles to coincide with the "Rebels" TV show.

Sometimes I feel like the only person who loves the OT as much as the PT/CW.

Edited by Jarneh

I think Lego could make a new marketing strategy that involves a list of set names that collectors can vote for....because whilst these sets are decent they aren't surprising except for the figs, if lego were to listen more to our input they might even make more of a sale!?!?!? Give the people what they want. All this aside I reckon the sets are sweet, especially airborne troopers never foresaw those going into production.

I've decided to wait until February 20th 2014 I.e. The NY toy fair where all pics will be released, anybody else going to? Won't be easy but it's great to have no idea what the summer wave will be and seeing pictures first hand rather than constantly(yeh me) checking online for information can take a lot of the excitement out of the whole thing I've noticed, even the sets themselves. May the force be with us all :P

Look what i found . Its the part of the summer wave :laugh: Just kidding. :grin:

IMG_0570.jpg

(Sad sight) :)

On the other hand as a mainly minifigure collector I am grateful that I have the chance to get a lot of minifigures by spending little money on the sets.

Valid argument ofc, I was just always more brought on logic that figs are great, but Lego isn't Hasbro, and detailed minifigs are a great extra, not an aim in itself. But, don't get me wrong, I fully respect the collector drive.

The only thing 'new' about this wave is that there are more sets in each price category than before. If you take a look at the winter waves for the last five years, you'll see that they always top out with a $60-price-range set and always contain some small sets. There's nothing new about this at all. Now LEGO has just added more sets with 3! battle-pack price-range sets plus a replacement line for the planet sets, and also 3 in the 25-30 price range.

Well, yes and no. It is true that there are more sets, but the upsurge you are talking about occurs mainly in lower-priced category, and that's the issue I'm having with it. First, there was a Planet line few years ago. Needless to say that many people weren't overenthusiastic about it. Now all this microfighters thing and more battle packs then ever. 3 regular ones plus Battle on Saleucami which is supposed to be in Battle of Naboo or Desrt Skiff price range, and what do we get? A speeder, hooray (well and a real hooray from me for introducing a new plant piece that will allow me to finally advance a bit my diorama of Felucia, but that's off-topic). Speeder and this blast-shield or whatever is a shameful lack of content. I would be delighted to see an extra 80-100 set and two extra 100+ sets, but somehow I get the feeling TLG wouldn't really feel like extrapolating its current strategy to these price ranges. Ergo, SW line = more and more kids-oriented :hmpf_bad: .

And all this hollering about 'just minifigures' is nonsense. Did you notice the Jedi Interceptor, V-Wing, Wheel Bike (which very much needed an update), plus rumored Tri-Fighter and Police Gunship? All of those are barely MF-centric at all.

Did I notice like the sixth or seventh Jedi Interceptor, third V-Wing (an extremely prominent vehicle of the SW universe with about 1,5 sec screen time all trilogies confounded), and a droid tri-fighter we had, like, not two years ago? Oh, I noticed them and I better refrain from commenting :hmpf_bad: Kudos only for the Wheel-bike, it was overdue.

If you don't like PT stuff, it's understandable that this wave is a bit of a let down, but there's nothing new in terms of 'market strategy' going on here. And don't worry, since this time next year we'll be seeing a wave full of stormies and new random Rebels things, I'd bet.

Oh, I love all things SW, particularly CW, I am not at all the grumpy OT unconditional. This wave isn't a let down because of that, but because of general shift in TLG policy when it comes to this line in particular. Stop paying your engineers and designers to invent 'creative' replacements for flick-fire missiles and put them to designing an Octuptarra droid that wouldn't provoke a massive facepalm when seen under Lego logo. Oh, bad news, it won't be under 20$.

Or an AV-7 canon that lends itself to as much similarity with the actual thing from the movie as Ewoks do with the Wookies.

In my opinion,Anakyn´s Interceptor,is nearly perfect accurate,If you don´t believe,watch a image from his real interceptor.I really love it.It´s just perfect.

The only thing that I complain about,is the fact that Anakyn´s double face,must have one headphone face and one normal face.That is the only fail.

This is why ROTS sets are always my least anticipated. Most of the ships and vehicles are too obscure and only appear for a couple of seconds. There's not really anything memorable aside from what already appeared in the previous movies.

Even with that, a few of my all time favorite SW ships come from RotS. Heck I'm working on lighting and super detailing a Revell Venator model. Just one of the all time great designs. The a Arc 170 is great. Even the ETa 2 Interceptors are kind of neat and Palpatines Shuttle.

So instead of any of that we get the smallest and worst version of the Interceptor. Just the same old yellow one. Not even any extra Minifigs. The last green one at least had character with the distinct selection of Minifigs, the dark side Anakin etc. and the play stuff. This one has nothing. And yet it's among the best of this wave. It's really kind of sad when the BP's have some of the most interesting builds.

75036 Utapau Troopers

The only reason I'd buy this set: the minifigures. Got to love those skirts! As for the droid... Lego Designer #1: "Gosh, I'm sick of this wave." Lego Designer #2: "Hey, I know, the only one left is one of the two Utapau sets. Why don't we just leave it at the preliminary design?" Lego Designer #1: "Yeah, why not?". The only reason I'd want the droid in this set, is so that I could fix it, post a mod (not moderator) on EB, and have everyone fix their ruined lives. :laugh: (A bit excessive, but I do plan on modifying it.)

The rest of the wave I don't have a big problem with. And General Grievous' Wheel Bike is literally a wheel! :wink:

Battle On Saleucami 75037:

Some random rubble and plants do not make for a very good build, but the pieces are alright.

Are those new plants?

Edited by Lego Spy

This is a very exciting wave indeed for me, I for one love all of the varieties of clones we are getting. I have my eye on all three battle-packs, the gunship, wheel-bike and also the Vulture droid. I'm in-love with all of the figures and vehicles, especially that droid gunship. I would have hoped the Utapau battle-pack to be slightly more expensive and have a more elegant Tri-droid design, but one cannot have everything.

The only obvious error in these sets is the new Kashyyyk trooper helmet mould, as it is absolutely hideous and odd-looking - I'd have much preferred just a re-use of the scout trooper helmet again than this. The new blaster moulds also leave much to be desired. Sure, they look reasonable as vehicle weapons, but hand-held? No, the existing more accurate and better-looking blasters are superior to these gimmicks.

I think the problem with the Utapau Troopers set is the box design. The droid should be closer in the shot, the troopers should be standing in some sort of formation, the background is extremely dull and should be swapped for some sort of cave with a large opening to the cliff side or maybe even a shot of the sinkhole city. Anything to make the set seem more appealing... do any PT fans have suggestions for a good background?

Edited by montyofmusic

I agree - The only remotely interestings things are the DeathStar troopers and maybe Grievious' wheel bike.

Yeah, the sets look like one of the designers let their kids design the sets. The box art looks lame, too. Very poor job, Lego, one of the worst Star Wars waves.

I think the problem with the Utapau Troopers set is the box design. The droid should be closer in the shot, the troopers should be standing in some sort of formation, the background is extremely dull and should be swapped for some sort of cave with a large opening to the cliff side or maybe even a shot of the sinkhole city. Anything to make the set seem more appealing... do any PT fans have suggestions for a good background?

Yeah, How about just the Utapau background like it should be! something like this would suffice (in a simpler version of course) http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100918093757/starwars/nl/images/5/51/Clone_troopers_arriveren_op_Utapau.png

The Wookiees look fantastic :thumbup: . The new blasters look like an interesting concept, but personally I don't really like the look of them. Grievous's wheel bike looks pretty cool too.

Why would Lego ruin the Battle Packs with those lame blasters? Do they know that the SW theme is popular with adults?

I know right? The new blasters do look pretty bad.

:laugh: :')

While I'm not so sure about this, I believe that the plant pieces will also come in the Parisian Restaurant, if not that, the pieces still look awfully familiar.

When are these sets going to be released in the US? And when were the winter 2013 sets released at Toys R Us in the US? Anyone know? It's important.

When are these sets going to be released in the US? And when were the winter 2013 sets released at Toys R Us in the US? Anyone know? It's important.

They'll most likely be released mid-December, which is when they were released last year in the "wild". December 14th is when they were first spotted in a US Toys"R"Us last year. :wink:

But... only time will tell. :grin:

Edited by just2good