Sign in to follow this  
Ritz Brick

[REVIEW]:Minifig Pack - Star Wars #3 3342

gallery_101_23_281.gif

The actual name of the set is "

Chewbacca and 2 Biker Scouts Minifig Pack - Star Wars #3', but I shortened it down.

I noticed these 4 minifig packs are missing from our review index and I've always wanted these for myself. Unfortunately sets #1 and #2 are very expensive! I wasn't able to get these two sealed, but are still in very good condition.

These could be called the original 'battlepacks' even before battlepacks were actually a term. Released in 2000, some sets already had these minifigs in them, but these did introduce some new ones that are common fare nowadays. I have never seen much on these sets so this review will be very picture heavy.

Set info:

Name: Chewbacca and 2 Biker Scouts Minifig Pack - Star Wars #3

Number: 3342

Pieces: 22

Minifigures: 3

Year of release: 2000

So happy when these two showed up in the mail today.

minifigs_0035.jpg

I would be amazed to see a set now that has only 21 pieces and no building.

minifigs_0001.jpg

Side of the box shows our 3 characters.

minifigs_0017.jpg

Even back in 2000 TLC was advertising 'NEW' 'EXCLUSIVE' minifigures (Chewie). Although back in the day this actually meant something.

minifigs_0034.jpg

The back of the box shows the entire line up of these minifigure display stands, Star Wars, Ninja, City and Rock Raiders.

minifigs_0033.jpg

You can see here you're supposed to puncture the side of the box, now who would want to do that? Plus the other 3 Star Wars ones, the first two are upwards of $60-$70 for sealed.

minifigs_0032.jpg

Instructions on the back, if you really needed them.

minifigs_0031.jpg

The year 2000 was a much simpler time, when all you needed to defeat your enemy was a glowing megaphone. Old dark grey, brown. Love these classic colours. (The 3 2x2 grey plates aren't actually supposed to be there, the seller included them).

minifigs_0029.jpg

In addition to this wonderful dark grey, the piece is engraved. (it looks dirty, but it's really shiny).

minifigs_0028.jpg

Classic Chewie in his brown and black bowcaster glory.

minifigs_0027.jpg

Two of these guys, I prefer the printed face over the solid black head anyday. (See next picture)

minifigs_0026.jpg

No there is nothing wrong with the lighting here, the one on the right is the most recent incarnation of the scout trooper. Our poor guy on the left has spent too much time in the sun. As you can see the printed visor gives a better impression.

minifigs_0025.jpg

Now onto the cards, here is Chewie's card. Front and back.

minifigs_0024.jpg

minifigs_0023.jpg

You can see from the reflection, they are quite glossy.

minifigs_0022.jpg

minifigs_0021.jpg

minifigs_0020.jpg

minifigs_0019.jpg

"They are also fooled easily.."

The gang is all here, I bet the backdrops could be used for some forced perspective shots. I really appreciate how Lego had considered the biker scouts as two different figs, with their own description and backdrops.

minifigs_0018.jpg

Final thoughts;

When these were released they were $5 USD. Which is a great deal nowadays. They were only available from the catalogs, so I wasn't able to get them when I was a kid. Maybe its the nostalgia kicking in that makes me like these so much, or the fact nothing like them has been produced since. These shall proudly be displayed with my other classic sets.

Brilliant review Ritz Brick I in some ways I really wish magnet sets these days had those display cards.

Brilliant review Ritz Brick I in some ways I really wish magnet sets these days had those display cards.

Thank you, I agree, couldn't be any harm done having them in there.

Nice review. Incidentally, the gray plates were supposed to be there. They were included so you could connect the bases together for display if you wanted. I have all 4 of these sets buried in a box somewhere in the basement of my parents' house, which I should really try to find and dig out the next time I'm there. These figures fit in perfectly with today's, at least until you take the helmets off :wacko:

Edited by Jeff Huntington

Great review Ritz Brick :thumbup: The photographs are really well done, and it's interesting to see that Chewie hasn't changed much in the last 13 years (apart from the quality of the printing!).