Review Review: 21103 Back To The Future Time Machine

212 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Great review! Was looking forward to getting this set today but my local LEGO store claims it won't be released until August for the US. That's dissapointing.

Great review! Was looking forward to getting this set today but my local LEGO store claims it won't be released until August for the US. That's dissapointing.

We called the local LEGO store and they didn't have a release date. Then we called the local Discovery Center and she said the release date was today and she would call back if they had gotten them. Here's hoping my phone rings soon!

Brilliant review, Rufus!

This is an amazing kit all the way through - from the deluxe box, the informative manual, to the ability to choose which of the 3 models you want to build. TLG really has done a great job with this release!

All 3 versions of the car look good. I think if the flying version had more baloon styled tires it would look better, but then again they might be too big. This review goes to show once again that we can never judge early pictures too critically. I admit that I was a bit skeptical about the model from the first pics that came out, but after seeing the models from all angles I am quite pleased with the design. I am particularily delighted by the inclusion of the printed pieces - they make this kit extra special. Shame about the typo, but even if it doesn't get corrected down the road it still adds some charm. I'd have been happy with just the car in this set, but the minifigs are a fantastic addition too.

I'll be picking this up as soon as it arrives at my local Lego store (buying 3 is tempting, but I'll have to start with 1).

It's listed UK S@H now, "Coming soon on 1 August".

Excitement cometh.

Thanks for the really detailed review Rufus. :sweet: I love the in-depth research you did on the comparison with the real thing and especially the original Cuusoo model. The model definitely isn't without it's flaws but it looks like TLG really did what they could at this scale and without special-purpose molds. I definitely don't think the necessity to be able to recreate the BTTF III model was the only reason to not include the 8-wide slope piece. It would have probably made the car more visually appealing, but definitely at the expense of a lot of bulkiness as you clearly show in the review. The original Cuusoo model doesn't look good from a lot of angles and seems to have been photographed from an acceptable angle for the Cuusoo submission. On the other hand, the picture on the front of the box of the final model definitely doesn't show the car at it's best angle, but from a lot of angles it seems to look just fine though.

I'm surprised TLG included building techniques they would never use in regular sets, like the 1 x 1 pieces to connect the hoses to the sides that are only attached by one single stud.

Great review. You have pushed me back to the purchase side of this one. After seeing the Cuusoo and final version next to each other, I agree that the final version is better, even though I'm not 100% sold on the hood. In the end, the 6x8 slope is too drastic and does not look quite right either. I am thrilled that the license plates and flux capacitor are printed tiles, as well at the date tile. My kids haven't got into BTTF movies yet, but I know they'll watch them at some point of their childhood and will love to have this. I was 8 when the original came out and still love the movie to this day, the other 2, well, not as much.

I've updated the review with information from Shop@Home, including the official set title and release date (1st August, officially). I has assumed it would be release on the day I was allowed to post the review. :blush:

Rufus, I just noticed that you left out Mr. Fusion from the BTTF III version of the car. It should be there!

Yes, you're right, but I did comment on that in the review. It wasn't deliberate.

Once again well done, Rufus, ... your review convinced me and i got to the cologne L-store this afternoon to get three time machines ... one for one of my sons ... and two for me ... :wub:

What?? 50 euros here in the Netherlands? 40 euros in Germany and 26 euros (converted) in the States?

Was very excited for this set, but for 50 euros it's a definite pass for me.

This set is fantabulous! I didn't have high hopes for this set, but as a automobile aficionado, the final shape of the Delorean turned out great. Also, I had no idea they included different parts for each movie in the trilogy! Great touch. I really want this set now, even though I haven't watched the films! ( :blush: )

What?? 50 euros here in the Netherlands? 40 euros in Germany and 26 euros (converted) in the States?

Remember US prices are listed excluding tax because it's applied at the state level, whereas European prices are listed including tax.

That's not to say that there won't be a price differential across the Atlantic, but that it's not quite as drastic as it sometimes appears...

...New York sales tax converted back to Eurors would be 29euros, so still a sizeable differential :hmpf_bad:

The front could have been an easy fix, we have several types of cheese slopes to use and LEGO didn't bother.

They didn't bother because there doesn't exist a single type of cheese slope that would have worked for this hood. They're all way too steep. Even the slope the original model proposed to Cuusoo used is almost too steep.

You could use cheese slopes to stagger the hood, but even that would have been a lot steeper than just using tiles like the final model does.

Sweet!! $53NZD??? Thats a bargain for us kiwis - especially since the Australian price is $69AUD. Definitely getting 3 for that price!

Wow Rufus. You never fail in making a set look amazing. :tongue: In all seriousness though, excellent review. I'll be thinking about getting this one.

Nice Review!

$34.99 USD seems reasonable. But that hood... I guess I'll just leave it at BTTF 3. :tongue:

Lego Spy

Having read a few reviews (very bad ones) and just putting finishing touches to my own review for Brick Fanatics, i have to say your review is spot on and I agree with most of it and your use of the concept version will hopefully clear a things up as well.

I didn't like it at first, but this review has changed my mind.

Still not happy about the AU$69 price tag though! Especially since it's such a small set!!

Wow! This is one of the best reviews I've ever read on this site- thoroughly detail-packed and well-researched, with no part left unanalyzed. Everything from the packaging to the contents to the experience and the comparison not only to the film but also to the model that inspired it is looked-at and considered here. Rufus, I really think you deserve some kind of award for all the effort you've put into this review! :laugh:

As for the model itself: it's just as great as I thought it would be. What's not to love here? The box and instruction manual are top-quality; there are lots of great, useful pieces that when constructed create a detail-packed model; and the finished product has a profile and overall feel to it that is leagues better than its chunky-square predecessor. And that's just the model itself- add the excellent minifigures plus all the included extras, and you've got a set that truly goes above and beyond the norm. I'll be picking up a copy first-day for sure!

(As an aside...when I first saw the leaked pictures I was thinking of replacing the hood with the 6x8 piece as many others were. As the discussion grew however I've come to terms with the hood, and those last shots where the official model is compared to the Cuusoo submission sealed it; the plate-hood works with the rest of the model to make a smoother whole, so I'm keeping my copy as-is. The 6x8 bonnet isn't as fitting as some make it out to be anyway- the slope is wrong and the sides are too flat to be accurate to the movie version. :wink: )

Edited by Canticleer blues

Remember US prices are listed excluding tax because it's applied at the state level, whereas European prices are listed including tax.

That's not to say that there won't be a price differential across the Atlantic, but that it's not quite as drastic as it sometimes appears...

...New York sales tax converted back to Eurors would be 29euros, so still a sizeable differential :hmpf_bad:

Buyers are still considered as “sheep” in Europe.

It was announced at 34,99€ on the Cuusoo website (17th july) :

http://blog.lego.cuu...-to-the-future/ (bottom of the page)

Dollar conversion : $34,99 = 26,65€

If I add the sales tax in France (+19,6%) : +5,22€

It should be 31,87€. The set is sold 10€ more in France. :sceptic:

I hope LEGO will release more BTTF sets and won't disappoint many FOLs or fans of the movie this time.

Well, I picked up the set yesterday at a price that I just couldn't pass up! :tongue: I will not be building it for a while, but am glad I picket it up!

I think the real problem with the hoverboard is that there's simply not a piece that works with it.

You can use the skateboard but it's got pegs sticking out the bottom which would make it kind of suck. That piece without the pegs would be perfect with the right sticker/print. But that would require a new mold.