TheBear

Minifigure scale Y-Wing instructions

This looks great. Have just downloaded the instructions. Might be the first non-official build I have a crack at.

This has been a back-burner project for about a year. I have gathered most of the parts and today I downloaded the instructions. BEWARE!!! I didn't pay enough attention to the download process and ended up getting a bunch of those junk programs that are really good a bogging down your computer. I was able to uninstall all but one program and tomorrow my computer will get a total system reboot to clean it off. Hopefully, I'll be able to report some building progress in a month of so. 

Edited by ecmo47

Any Y-wing builders still around? On page 37 (Step 41.17) I'm supposed to attach a 1x4 slope brick to the side by pushing onto the clip of a 1x1. Since the clip will not fit inside the 1x4 slope, how do you make it work? I know this would be considered an "illegal" connection but looks to me like some knife work may be needed.

Got one done! It compares pretty favorable to dmaclego's Y-Wing which I referenced many times during this build. I made many modifications to strengthen weak points and the end results a fairly swooshable model. The weakest connection is the pylon to engine connection which is three studs (from three stud-jumper plates) pressed into three technic pin holes.

32262780912_9f2cdf45ef_c.jpgDSC01835 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32373704286_9eba5dd05c_c.jpgDSC01840 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32262765462_d16405327f_c.jpgDSC01843 by Scott Roys, on Flickr 

11 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Got one done! It compares pretty favorable to dmaclego's Y-Wing which I referenced many times during this build. I made many modifications to strengthen weak points and the end results a fairly swooshable model. The weakest connection is the pylon to engine connection which is three studs (from three stud-jumper plates) pressed into three technic pin holes.

32262780912_9f2cdf45ef_c.jpgDSC01835 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32373704286_9eba5dd05c_c.jpgDSC01840 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32262765462_d16405327f_c.jpgDSC01843 by Scott Roys, on Flickr 

Beautifully done. The Y-wing is my favorite one as well. I'll have to add it to my list of ships to build. The instructions for this model is through Repubrick website. Does anyone know how to download them using a Mac computer? It appears that the download requires some .EXE setup file that only works on Windows OS.

Miro

Hi, I've started resourcing the parts I already have in my collection to build this MOC. So far I'm up to 40%, but I might be able to get to the halfway mark.

I know the copper tubes and, of course, the white spheres will be pretty hard to find at a fair price, but what I wanted to ask was:

Can I replace the old out-of-production hinges by the new ones? I know some 1x4 hinges only make detail on the outside, which is easily replaceable, but what about those in the connection between the head and the neck of the ship?

11 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

I've actually been checking the size of the ship on Google and it seems to be 24m long, instead of the 16m followed for this MOC. It appears the Y-Wing is a much bigger beast than expected :wacko:.

I'll be putting off this build since, though a remarkable representation of the ship, it'd be too small next to a minifig scale MF.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:59 AM, Terrasher said:

I've actually been checking the size of the ship on Google and it seems to be 24m long, instead of the 16m followed for this MOC. It appears the Y-Wing is a much bigger beast than expected :wacko:.

I'll be putting off this build since, though a remarkable representation of the ship, it'd be too small next to a minifig scale MF.

I wouldn't trust that number at all. 24m is way too big for ANH era Y-Wings. These are the filming models, scaled to match the Astromech droids. The X-Wing is 12.5m and the Y-Wing is closer to 16m.

7skkD2Bl.jpg

All in all, I'd say Brickwright's MOC is pretty darn close.

2 hours ago, cabooseforlife said:

I wouldn't trust that number at all. 24m is way too big for ANH era Y-Wings. These are the filming models, scaled to match the Astromech droids. The X-Wing is 12.5m and the Y-Wing is closer to 16m.

All in all, I'd say Brickwright's MOC is pretty darn close.

Yeah, checking comparison pics between 75192 and the latest Y-Wing, a reddit poster mentioned the faulty 24m.

The scene I'm trying to recreate is the long shot of the rebel hangar with the MF, the shuttle Tydirium, A-Wings, a Y-Wing and X-Wings. I don't know how I feel about the scale of the Y-Wing in that shot, since it feel pretty darn big.

I might still have a go at this, it's just that in the meantime I've been modding my X-Wing, which has used a few parts I had reserved for the Y-Wing.

Yeah, that matte painting is good for getting relative scales, but I know the artist took several liberties with perspective for it - for instance the A-Wings at the back are on a different perspective from the X-Wings to their left, despite being at relative similar depths in the hanger. So, not quite perfect, but close. I'd dig around for reference pics of the studio scale models ILM actually built and filmed for the movies - they were all 1/24 scale I think, so all the New Hope fighter ships were built to the same scale (mostly because they used the same pilot figures).

Also, the life-size Y-wing and X-wing from ANH would be a good place to reference too.

Here's my collection of minifig scale (or close) starfighters. 

LvUd0SYl.jpg

Hope that helps give an idea of scale.

Just now, cabooseforlife said:

Yeah, that matte painting is good for getting relative scales, but I know the artist took several liberties with perspective for it - for instance the A-Wings at the back are on a different perspective from the X-Wings to their left, despite being at relative similar depths in the hanger. So, not quite perfect, but close. I'd dig around for reference pics of the studio scale models ILM actually built and filmed for the movies - they were all 1/24 scale I think, so all the New Hope fighter ships were built to the same scale (mostly because they used the same pilot figures).

Also, the life-size Y-wing and X-wing from ANH would be a good place to reference too.

Here's my collection of minifig scale (or close) starfighters. 

Hope that helps give an idea of scale.

Huh, looking at the three rebel ships, the Y-Wing scale seems to be quite fine. A bigger Y-Wing would be too much of a stand out and would detract from the "trio" aspect of the A, X and Y wings.

I'll keep looking for pictures but your comparison has been very helpful in convincing me that the Y-Wing looks better at 16m rather than 24.

Thank you so much for your help! :classic: