Itaria No Shintaku

The LEGO Movie Sets News and Discussion

Weird, but cool. Ball joints, mini joints, the hair, and metallic silver parts. and that gear are all good pieces.

I don't see any metallic silver. I think it's just a trick of the light and they are all light bley, dark bley and black.

Today was the building event!

(If you want to see how to build the example models, click the pictures to enlarge 'em!)

14398564596_f78536d141.jpg

14235038479_b06df4f0e9.jpg

14420550734_fc2987a748.jpg

Overall, there were some AWESOME pieces in this free event! There's the Padame hair (which only comes in one other set), some nice gray 2x2 jumpers, mini ball-joints and receivers, and cool red slopes, to name a few. But, the builds themselves are flimsy, and there are no instructions for them. I just built the examples.

I took my daughter as well. The TRU we went to was pretty generous and let you take as much as you wanted. I had to calm my daughter down and tried to limit her to two of each piece (she went a little over on that, but the store didn't mind). I really wanted her to leave plenty for the other kids attending.

This certainly was a different event since there were no pre-planned instructions. I wonder how well those will do in the future if they or the Lego Store ever have a freebuild event again.

The TRU we went to was pretty generous and let you take as much as you wanted.

Yeah, mine had a limit of four for the most part, and let me take a few more of some pieces. To make these, I had to also take pieces from other sets I had.

Wait, the only reason Metalbeard was like that is because he was near-murdered by Lord Business. These are only kids, it seems, so does that mean Lord Business resorted to murdering children?

Grim.

Wait, the only reason Metalbeard was like that is because he was near-murdered by Lord Business. These are only kids, it seems, so does that mean Lord Business resorted to murdering children?

Grim.

I don't think they are kids but just regular grown ups I think.

Yeah, I wouldn't overthink it. They're kids in robot costumes.

Besides, we saw beheaded minifigs being used as golf balls in Cloud Cuckoo Land. I think it's a staple of Lego animation that the characters know they can be disassembled.

Grim.

There probably meaning to say that kids can become giant cool,robots so there self esteem goes up.

Something I noticed while building at the TRU event was that the clutch power (something I had to explain to my young neighbors I was accompanying) was not really there. This resulted in a model that falls apart constantly, so instead of engaging it in play as I usually attempt, I can't even look at it without it falling apart. Anyone else have this experience with this set of parts / know what is wrong with this?

On a side note, I built an amazing robot with a claw and a gun-arm using parts from the bag they gave out (ten minutes in they were almost gone) as well as extra pieces (so many red 1 X 2 plates).

Edited by Zorglorfian

Yeah, I wouldn't overthink it. They're kids in robot costumes.

Besides, we saw beheaded minifigs being used as golf balls in Cloud Cuckoo Land. I think it's a staple of Lego animation that the characters know they can be disassembled.

But what about Vitruvius?

But what about Vitruvius?

...that's...I mean, that's explained in the movie. It just is. I don't know how to do spoiler tags, so I'll assume we all know what I'm talking about.

The metaphysics of how the "Lego world" interacts with Finn's imagination isn't clear. It might have ALL been in his imagination, except that Emmet actually moves and thinks in the real world. I'll note that in the Lego world, things can literally change and aren't cemented in their existing blocks. Case in point: Batman becomes Bruce Wayne in the movie. That shouldn't strike you as weird, except that Bruce and Batman are separate minifigures right down to the head. It wasn't simply a matter of Bruce changing clothes--that's literally an entirely different figure.

So whatever happens with Vitruvius--well, it just happens. He changes, and either Finn's imagination allowed it or something else weird happened. I wouldn't overthink it.

...that's...I mean, that's explained in the movie. It just is. I don't know how to do spoiler tags, so I'll assume we all know what I'm talking about.

The metaphysics of how the "Lego world" interacts with Finn's imagination isn't clear. It might have ALL been in his imagination, except that Emmet actually moves and thinks in the real world. I'll note that in the Lego world, things can literally change and aren't cemented in their existing blocks. Case in point: Batman becomes Bruce Wayne in the movie. That shouldn't strike you as weird, except that Bruce and Batman are separate minifigures right down to the head. It wasn't simply a matter of Bruce changing clothes--that's literally an entirely different figure.

So whatever happens with Vitruvius--well, it just happens. He changes, and either Finn's imagination allowed it or something else weird happened. I wouldn't overthink it.

I know we are supposed to be talking about the sets, but this sort of stuff is exactly why The LEGO Movie was truly great, and not just "cool" or really good. The concepts are just so interesting.

Edited by DPrime

Finn wanted him to die, so he did.

Or blame it on classic movie tropes.

Yeah, I wish there'd been a quick cutaway to Obi-Wan Kenobi, Gandalf, and Dumbledore all freaking out about Vitruvius. Maybe it would have hurt the drama of the moment, though.

Finn wanted him to die, so he did.

Or blame it on classic movie tropes.

Or Finn's just a budding serial killer. Having slowly been brought to this point by the micromanagement from the Man Upstairs. Lego Movie 4 takes place in a basement in Detroit. Next to a Sausage Factory.

At my Toys R Us, they were instructing people to only take two of each piece and one head. They also had some of the pieces that looked similar mixed together, such as the round grey plates. So when I got home, I realized that I didn't really have enough pieces to do much with all of the ball joints and I only had one of the grey piece that snaps into the black turntable. But hey, I decided that it's really in the spirit of the movie to make something cool with what you have (and the robot-person thing doesn't make a ton of sense to me anyway), so I made a spaceship!

BennyFanSpaceship1forPosting.jpgBennyFanSpaceship2forPosting.jpg

I used every single piece I got at Toys R Us, with the only outside additions being the steering wheel and the pilot. My only rules for myself were to use everything and to try and keep it symmetrical if I could (since, as I mentioned, I didn't actually end up with two of everything). I'm usually a "follow the instructions" kind of person, so I'm really pretty proud of this.

What did everybody else come up with?

I know we are supposed to be talking about the sets, but this sort of stuff is exactly why The LEGO Movie was truly great, and not just "cool" or really good. The concepts are just so interesting.

Maybe it just killed him in how it was taken off, like if it resembled a neck snap it counts, if it's like a simple removal it doesn't. Reminds us President Business really shouldn't be allowed in the city walking around if he just killed a man!

Isn't there also the theory that the story is actually two universes, connected by what happens in the real world, and that this is confirmed by Emmett being alive in the real world?

I think there are two universes that are connected and parallel, but not completely ruled by one or the other. What Finn imagines happens in the LEGO world, but when the minifigures end up in the human world, they're still conscious and just barely capable of animation.

I'm modding my Emmet car to be movie accurate, so I kind of wish I'd seen that video last week when I ordered the parts! The good news is that while there was no way to know about that black 2x3 plate by his feet (which is completely covered anyway), the changes I'm planning are pretty much exactly right - raising and tweaking the mirrors and steering wheel, adding the radio and tail light. Being able to go frame-by-frame through this movie is going to be a lot of fun, I think.

Edited by ResurrectionBob

I got my prelude Vitruvious today. Aside from the cape, I'm disappointed he doesn't have a double-sided face with the blinded side as well. Since "blind" Vitruvious is in an expensive set, it would have been nice to have a cheaper option...

I went to the TRU promo at my local TRU, and they had already sorted the parts into little baggies, with each baggie containing apparently all the parts that were intended. Not only was I able to get a complete "set" for myself, but they also let me take a whole second bag for my fiancée, who wan't with me on this particular visit.

Just got my 'young' Vitruvius... With a snow-white beard past his waist, not sure how young he can be.

:sceptic:

8 1/2 years younger than he was when he trained Emmet.