Itaria No Shintaku

The LEGO Movie Sets News and Discussion

In an interview one of the Lego designers (I think it was either Mark Stafford or Jamie Berard, they tend to be the most talkative in English) basically said, up front, yes they often use stickers because kids view them as a play feature. They determined this through focus groups and play testing. And by all accounts TLG is normally pretty thorough in their research on these sorts of things. Like you I personally mostly hate stickers. But I accept that I am not the target market.

I'm too cynical to believe that. I think they have to say things when the real reason is to save money.

PS those printed classic space logo slopes are intriguing, just for the thought that Lego would have added a healthy stock of such parts to inventory as a result. So maybe they were not planning on them being single set/single use? We can hope.

Totally agree with you on that!

There's an upcoming sequel, so we'll probably be seeing them again in a few years. If it does focus on the DUPLO aliens, does that mean we'll see both System and DUPLO bricks in the same sets? *oh2*

Well, we had fleshies and yellow characters in the same set (twice if you count the Cinema promotional set).

When I was a kid, I didn't have any problem with stickers, but I always trusted my dad to put them on for many years because I knew he could do it best. I was thrilled when I was finally old enough to put on stickers myself. To me, it was just another part of the building process, and I still quite like a good sticker sheet today.

What I did dislike, which were prevalent in my childhood 90s but have now practically disappeared, were STAMPs (Stickers Across Multiple Pieces). I typically let my dad separate those with a craft knife so that the parts could be disassembled without damaging the stickers.

I also have other sticker-related pet peeves. In my opinion, stickers should generally line up with the sides of a piece so they're easy to apply, and I prefer white-backed stickers rather than clear-backed stickers any time unless the sticker is being applied to a transparent, metallic, or blended piece where the base color can't be matched with ink alone. It bothers me that Benny's Spaceship violates both of those rules with the stickers on the tail fins.

I know some AFOLs prefer clear-backed stickers because they can use them on whatever part they like without worrying about the base color matching, but since I usually use stickers on the parts they are intended for, this does me no favors — and the disadvantages of clear-backed stickers are plentiful. Another reason some reviewers prefer clear-backed stickers is that the clear plastic film is allegedly more resilient than the paper used for white-backed stickers, but I have not had any such experience with my white-backed stickers. I have a strong suspicion that these concerns might only apply to much older sets than the ones in my collection.

The last of my pet peeves is that a sticker should not be applied to a part that it can't remain attached to effectively. This mostly applies to stickers on 1x1 or 2x2 cylinders. Thankfully I haven't had any problems with this in recent sets.

Well, we had fleshies and yellow characters in the same set (twice if you count the Cinema promotional set).

3 times-Batman's in the Dropship. But I really, really, don't care about mixing the two.

The mech looks decent, but I mostly just want Angry Kitty for my daughter. I'm sure she'll go for a pretty penny in the aftermarket.

3 times-Batman's in the Dropship. But I really, really, don't care about mixing the two.

It's actually a total of five (if you are including promos):

-Lord Business' Evil Lair (Vitruvius)

-Metal Beard's Sea Cow (Vitruvius)

-Cinema Tin (Batman, Vitruvius, and Wonder Woman)

-Super Secret Police Dropship (Batman)

-The Lego Movie: Everything is Awesome Edition (Young Vitruvius)

Edited by Penkid11

A yellow minfigure does not appear alongside Vitruvius in the Everything is Awesome edition, so that one doesn't really count.

A yellow minfigure does not appear alongside Vitruvius in the Everything is Awesome edition, so that one doesn't really count.

Giant Emmet Head?

I got Benny's Spaceship and the Super Cycle Chase (midway through the build; finished the cycle (it's REALLY small)) and I noticed some scratches on the cockpit windshield on the spaceship from the pieces in the bag. Should I order a replacement or buy one? How much do they go for? Thanks! (aside from this I HIGHLY recommend the set.)

I got Benny's Spaceship and the Super Cycle Chase (midway through the build; finished the cycle (it's REALLY small)) and I noticed some scratches on the cockpit windshield on the spaceship from the pieces in the bag. Should I order a replacement or buy one? How much do they go for? Thanks! (aside from this I HIGHLY recommend the set.)

I'd order a replacement, that part is only available in that colour in the Spaceship, so it'd be cheaper to order a replacement from LEGO.

Hi, I just got Benny's spaceship in the Lego store Berlin for 99,99 Euro, so I guess it is out in Europeans Lego stores :)

go check your local store, and be sure to get one, it is absolutely worth it !!!

SPACESHIP!!!!

Edited by LoRd AmUnRa

I hadn't had a chance to watch the LEGO movie until yesterday. Damn. I can't even. Like what. Wow. I laughed and cried. :cry_happy: I'm missing many important characters of the movie in LEGO form, and I will only get them because the movie was fantastic and every time I see them I wil remember it :thumbup:

I think we were all a bit cautious towards the Movie sets when the first pictures appeared...but it's proved to be one of lego's best ever themes.

The 4 biggest - sea cow, mech, dropship and SSS! are all just great toys. I can't imagine anyone that's not dead inside not loving them. The prices have been fantastic for this wave, the dropship especially is an absolute bargain for all that you get.

Got the Evil Lair yesterday and It's great! I love the fact that they included a battery that you can stick Emmet onto :grin:

I think they were very, very crafty by making so many permutations of Unikitty.

Original - Cloud Cuckoo Palace $20

Biznis - President Business' Evil Lair $70

Queasy - Metalbeard's Sea Cow $250

Astro - Benny's Spaceship, spaceship SPACESHIP! $100

Angry - Emmett's Construction Mech $60

Seriously, $500 to get 'em all is marketing genius.

I'm hoping this is a build-a-minifigure type event with characters like Michelangelo and other MBs at Cloud Cuckoo Land (Maybe even GL!), but the "inspired by MetalBeard" part is odd.

I'm hoping this is a build-a-minifigure type event with characters like Michelangelo and other MBs at Cloud Cuckoo Land (Maybe even GL!), but the "inspired by MetalBeard" part is odd.

I think this means we're going to build mech-like Master Builders, like MetalBeard.

-Sci

Probably the miniature version of his boat from the flashback of what happened the first time he went to the tower.

Oh, that would be AWESOME. But is that really what it'll be? The description sounds more like some sort of character. I fear it may be a character who wasn't really in the movie, but I suppose we'll find out...

Do we know if they will eventually release some material with details ont the actual sets designed specifically for the moie ? I got quite a few of the sets and I know they have some differences from their movie counterparts, so it would be awesome (as everything ^^) if we could get some way to modify them to match more closely the originals. Or even better, get some detailed pics to build those that don't exist as sets.

Man, that DVD better have the mother of all Making Of... LIke, on par with the extras on the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions... (Hey, one can dream, right ?)