just2good

Super Heroes 2014 Rumors & Discussion

It's not about the fact that people won't have the Collector in their collections. It's the fact that a lot of people are completionists, and LEGO is making it impossible to have a complete set of figures.

The Collector could've easily been placed in any GOTG-themed set. I suppose it depends on how large a role he has in the film, but if they made more I think he'd be able to find a home easily. Just because nobody was "missing" him beforehand (when there was always the potential of GOTG being revisited, if only in a sequel), doesn't mean we wouldn't want to have a minifig of him. Small themes like this are fairly easy to collect completely. As an exclusive, there's no way to do that without paying hundreds of dollars, and that's ridiculous.

I guess it depends on the film, but I doubt there'd be a good situation to fit Collector in. And if they put him a set where he's not crucial to the action, all it's doing is raising the price point with a figure that is not recognizable to most kids, and not very "cool" either. (He's pretty easy to make a decent purist custom of, on that note.)

I sort of get the completionist thing, but on the other hand, that's just going to be the case with any "exclusive" anyway. That's what makes them exclusives. :tongue: So I see why completionists would be upset about these exclusive minifigures in general, but how people are lamenting particularly over the fact that it's the Collector just seems kind of... odd.

I guess it depends on the film, but I doubt there'd be a good situation to fit Collector in. And if they put him a set where he's not crucial to the action, all it's doing is raising the price point with a figure that is not recognizable to most kids, and not very "cool" either. (He's pretty easy to make a decent purist custom of, on that note.)

I sort of get the completionist thing, but on the other hand, that's just going to be the case with any "exclusive" anyway. That's what makes them exclusives. :tongue: So I see why completionists would be upset about these exclusive minifigures in general, but how people are lamenting particularly over the fact that it's the Collector just seems kind of... odd.

I'd rather there not be a Collector figure, than there be a Collector figure, but it costs $400. Preview figures in exclusive packaging is better for everyone.

Edited by KingPixels

I'd rather there not be a Collector figure, than there be a Collector figure, but it costs $400. Preview figures in exclusive packaging is better for everyone.

Couldn't agree more. This whole exclusive situation is really screwing all of the fans this year.

I don't mind missing out on Green Lantern since the SDCC figure was based on the movie, and we know a comic version is coming down the road. But it annoys me how fans are screwed out of so many other characters like Green Arrow, Spider-Woman, Bizaro, Symbiote Spidey and Shazam.

Phoenix is probably the worst one for me because not only are we looking at one of the most popular X-Men characters in whats easily her most iconic outfit, but the figure was essentially giving you two characters in one. Sure we can get a 90s Jean Grey in a set someday, but that figure would only be useful as Jean Grey alone. Likewise a Dark Phoenix minifigure is only useful for representing Jean's darkside. The SDCC Phoenix gave the best of both worlds. :sceptic:

Although most of you guys hate Lego for doing exclusives, I actually don't mind it at all. As a matter of fact, I love it!

They make random figures you would probably never see (or the variant) and the fact that you are holding on one of 1000 or 250 adds to the exclusivity.

I bought both Phoenix and black spider man back in 2012 and have not regretted it. Looking forward to seeing what other exclusives I can get my hands on.

Although most of you guys hate Lego for doing exclusives, I actually don't mind it at all. As a matter of fact, I love it!

They make random figures you would probably never see (or the variant) and the fact that you are holding on one of 1000 or 250 adds to the exclusivity.

I bought both Phoenix and black spider man back in 2012 and have not regretted it. Looking forward to seeing what other exclusives I can get my hands on.

Unlike you, most people can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a single minifigure.

I hate it, as I live nowhere near San Diego, and the mini figs are at least $200+, and I only get that kind of money on my birthday or Christmas.And when. I do get that money, I only buy sets as I find it ludicrous how I can buy at least 3 great sets or buy 1 minifigure that I can buy a custom of for $20 .

Edited by Captain America fan 1

You're the only one who loves SDCC exclusives in this thread..

GL should have been a preview figure, and Green Arrow should be in sets, but as for the other DC exclusives (not sure about marvel ones), Most kids probably have no idea who Bizarro and Shazam are, because they aren't on TV/Movies every day, and not many kids read comics still. This is why we always get Batman in the DC line and we always get X-men/Spider-man in Marvel.

Also, I literally have no idea who the hell the collector is, but he's obviously popular, and if he is from the GotG comic, then he probably will be expensive in the after markets because of the new movie.

Edited by _epicster_

Fortunately Lego is my only hobby, and I always see the glass half full.

Is anyone really hoping that in 2015, LEGO makes stories to co-exist with their sets? I love the comics in sets but I think they should up it up. Get someone like Geoff Johns to work on them for like a Justice League comic so issues 1-6 would be covered in a wave of sets. I'd love the first 6 issues of Justice League LEGO comic book style. That'd be so cool. Like just have sets to co-exist with some kid appropriate comics. Geoff Johns' Justice League is a perfect example! :grin: And all the New 52 costumesss

Edited by NuffSaid1996

Why is that? Would it really have been that hard to put Phoenix into the Blackbird, Black suit spider-man in one of his sets, or Spider-woman into the Aim set? The answer: NO

I know this question does have nothing to do with the current discussion but: have we ever got a marvel exclusive like Martian Manhunter? I mean this Shop@home thing

Minifig Hulk. Plus Iron Patriot was a game pre order exclusive.

GL should have been a preview figure, and Green Arrow should be in sets, but as for the other DC exclusives (not sure about marvel ones), Most kids probably have no idea who Bizarro and Shazam are, because they aren't on TV/Movies every day, and not many kids read comics still. This is why we always get Batman in the DC line and we always get X-men/Spider-man in Marvel.

Also, I literally have no idea who the hell the collector is, but he's obviously popular, and if he is from the GotG comic, then he probably will be expensive in the after markets because of the new movie.

This is a common misperception. Most kids are quite familiar with Bizarro at least. He showed up prominently in several of the animated series. In particular in the younger targeted stuff such as Krypto the Superdog and I believe Teen Titans Go. As far as Shazzam? They know the name and magic word. Plus we forget he had a Saturday Morning Live action TV show for 2 or 3 seasons in the 70's. So the older fan base knows him.

I agree with Namioik.

And now that I've found out how good the Decool figs are, I can buy those instead of super hero sets, and reinvest the money saved into SDCC and NYCC exclusives. I bought all of the first 2 super hero waves and most of the batman 1 sets, but I am losing interest in the 2014 wave. Until the DTC set comes along.

Why is that? Would it really have been that hard to put Phoenix into the Blackbird, Black suit spider-man in one of his sets, or Spider-woman into the Aim set? The answer: NO

I understand why exclusive figures do upset most of you, but need I remind everyone that Lego is just a toy brand. Even though most of you have great sentimental value behind it, do not let it consume your life. We all have freedom of speech but complaining in life gets no where. Let's all be mature and accept it for what it is. Either you go to SDCC or go to the secondary market to fulfill your completist ways...

I agree with Namioik.

And now that I've found out how good the Decool figs are, I can buy those instead of super hero sets, and reinvest the money saved into SDCC and NYCC exclusives. I bought all of the first 2 super hero waves and most of the batman 1 sets, but I am losing interest in the 2014 wave. Until the DTC set comes along.

Wait, so you're saying that you won't even be a Super Heroes collector but you'll still pay hundreds of dollars for individuals minifigs? Why not just buy bootlegs of the SDCC figures and spend the rest of the money on a retirement fund.

Either you go to SDCC or go to the secondary market to fulfill your completist ways...

...or LEGO could stop releasing figures that only benefit scalpers.

Is anyone really hoping that in 2015, LEGO makes stories to co-exist with their sets? I love the comics in sets but I think they should up it up. Get someone like Geoff Johns to work on them for like a Justice League comic so issues 1-6 would be covered in a wave of sets. I'd love the first 6 issues of Justice League LEGO comic book style. That'd be so cool. Like just have sets to co-exist with some kid appropriate comics. Geoff Johns' Justice League is a perfect example! :grin: And all the New 52 costumesss

Everyone would love that but that is not going to happen. As you know, those comics are just little fun things for kids, setting a background for the sets together.

And Geoff Johns has more important things to do :P

Wait, so you're saying that you won't even be a Super Heroes collector but you'll still pay hundreds of dollars for individuals minifigs? Why not just buy bootlegs of the SDCC figures and spend the rest of the money on a retirement fund.

Good question. I think the return on SDCC figures will be better than on equities or bonds, is the reason.

:classic:

I understand why exclusive figures do upset most of you, but need I remind everyone that Lego is just a toy brand. Even though most of you have great sentimental value behind it, do not let it consume your life. We all have freedom of speech but complaining in life gets no where. Let's all be mature and accept it for what it is. Either you go to SDCC or go to the secondary market to fulfill your completist ways...

The 'it's just a toy argument' is a ridiculous one - who has the right to say what anyone is interested in. Furthermore, think about the nature of the product - it is just a toy? TLG itself has marketed the product more and more in recent years as a collectible - it has encouraged it's adult fans to see some Lego themes in that way. Unless Lego are completely deluded they'll know that the figures on offer at SDCC won't end up in the hands of kids and they definitely won't get played with.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that this will consume their life - I think we're just expressing dissatisfaction with the way in which a company which produces a product we love has operated. Again.

You're right about what our choices are if we want to complete the collection (although as I said up thread there are other options available to us as consumers). And no, complaining won't magically mean we all get a Collector minifig - but it does help to share thoughts with others. Isn't that what forums are for?

Edited by jondesouza

Yes, I am trying to defend them. I don't think this is even particularly 'terrible.'

I get so sick and tired year after year with how the online community reacts. LEGO does not have a responsibility to give anybody anything. Nobody is entitled.

"Nobody" that is except for those lucky folks that:

A) Happen to live or be visiting San Diego during SDCC

B) Happen to be able to go to SDCC and are lucky enough to get the exclusives (e.g. lottery in the past)

C) Happen to have a few hundred spare dollars burning holes in their pockets for purchase by scalpers on eBay

Fixed that for you.

Thank God it's only The Collector. I was worried for a second. I'm very grateful one of the Marvel exclusives is a C-lister character like The Collector, a hoarder with a spaceship instead of a mobilehome, as opposed to some other character that has icon status. Give it a couple weeks, and some customizer will have The Collector available for 15 bucks, compete with frilled cape and probably even better leg printing. I'm curious. Who's the next reveal? Bring on Stilt Man and The Drummer!

I understand why exclusive figures do upset most of you, but need I remind everyone that Lego is just a toy brand.

There are so many fundamental issues with this statement, it's hard to know where to begin. First of all, from a very basic level -- beyond the things that people need as life necessities: food, water, clothing, housing, healthcare -- most things that people buy can be viewed as a "luxury" or non-essential. No ones "needs" to buy an iPhone or a Chanel handbag. But people do find value in certain brands that offer premium products, service and quality. IMO (and I'm sure I am in good company) LEGO is absolutely a premium brand with the highest specifications, highest quality and service within its peer group of construction toys (or hobby items in general). Not to mention that fact that it maintains an extremely active and loyal community of AFOLers from around the globe. I take issue with suggestions that dismiss LEGOs as merely a "toy". Not to mention that LEGO can be viewed as serious art / artform (exhibitions such as "The Art of the Brick" come immediately to mind).

Next, there are many people (including myself) who have taken up LEGO collecting as a serious hobby. In fact, this is my only hobby and I do take it seriously. I spend most of my free time (after work and time with my family -- and this is the beauty of LEGO I can spend it with my family as well) on LEGO.

Lastly, I have serious issue with the exclusives because it is these 2 points I have mentioned above (the loyalty of LEGO fans and AFOLers) that the scalpers are exploiting. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the promotion, initial exclusivity, etc. I get that -- but LEGO can easily solve this situation by releasing these minifigures for sale later to the general public -- even if it is a year or even two years later.

To me this is a very simply solution. By releasing every SDCC exclusive to the public a year (or two years later) you can get the full promotional value out of the SDCC figures at the time of the release. But you also get to solve the issue of finite supply (and hence astronomical demand through re-sellers like eBay). If people knew that it was just a matter of being patient for a year or two, the SDCC prices on secondary markets would plummet (not to mention the fact that you can drastically reduce the presence of greedy scalpers).

Besides, TLG has to ask itself this simple question: "who is benefiting the most from the SDCC exclusives"? It's certainly not the majority of their customers and fans. That doesn't seem to be a very smart or equitable strategy. And frankly, I think people are really fed up. Myself included.

We all have freedom of speech but complaining in life gets no where. Let's all be mature and accept it for what it is.

Good thing you weren't leading the American Revolution or the Civil Rights movement -- or any just cause for that matter.

Edited by agoodfella

Lego is more than a toy. It's more than a highly sophisticated system of interlocking bricks. It's a creative medium. And it can bring people together. Just like music, literature, cooking. Please don't minimalize what Lego may mean to somebody.