just2good

Super Heroes 2014 Rumors & Discussion

1 word: bullsh*t

Why do lego do this! Bad enough making characters like martian manhunter only available to people who pay for $75 of stuff but then making figures literally impossible for almost the entire community! It just doesn't make sense! I felt really bad about owning the phoenix figure from one of the china bootleg company but I have no shame in it now as they are making it stupidly hard and expensive to finish collections! If these are "preview figure" I can live with it but the word "exclusive" never means anything good...

Comic Con is like a double edged sword. On one hand we get awesome reveals about what's to come next year. While on the other, Lego makes Comic Con Exclusive items with must have characters.

The Collector! Kind of an odd choice, but then again not a super popular character. Not as bad as it could have been, mixed emotions... :/

Edited by greeklad97

There we go again *sigh* :cry_sad: After yesterday's Rocket Raccoon reveal I foolishly thought it couldn't get any worse, but now it has :tongue: Hopefully the other Marvel one won't be from GotG too, otherwise I'd be even more annoyed than I already am :angry:

It could be much worse. The Collector isn't a MAJOR character in the Marvel Universe like Phoenix or Spider-Woman are so hopefully LEGO realizes that they made mistakes in past years. I could definitely see a minifig sized Groot appear though, or possibly Yondu or Korath as well.

They need to go back to school, then, cuz they still need some learnin'. Exclusive characters are a bad idea, even if it's just a redeco of one if it's something many fans might conceivably want (like a black-suit Superman, movie Spidey, team-colors Rocket). I gave up on SDCC a few years ago; it's just too bloated, and I always hated the majority of the exclusives--particularly the 'raffle' ones. Too many of the exclusives are just scalper-bait, and often vanish before the show even opens. Oh, sure, companies/booths may claim to put limits on things, but I know for many years vendors would just line up at HasbroToyShop's booth and scoop up cases of exclusives to sell later that day for a giant markup. Even tho it'd be incredibly easy to care about the fans, they don't. They care solely about the money, and why sell 80 items to 40-80 people, many of whom will be fans that will enjoy the item, when you can sell all 80 at once before the the con opens for the day to a guy who only cares about turning his own profit? You're not gonna see a dime from his 200-400% markup, but…I guess your boss will be pleased to have sold so many, so early in the day?

But Lego claims to hate the aftermarket. Why then do something which merely feeds that aftermarket?

Other companies seem to manage to produce SDCC exclusives which don't alienate the rest of their fans, either by offering limited numbers for sale outside the convention or by making the packaging exclusive but not the content. Lego has had some of its most loyal fans point this out to them each year when the exclusives have been announced but has chosen to repeatedly ignore those comments. For a brand which has prided itself on its links with its community that seems really shoddy to me.

The limited sales outside the con can be frustrating, since they often give no notice when the item will be up (MattyCollector's generally good about it, but screw them; their other business practices seem exceptionally shady), so you basically have to have the site open 24/7 after the convention and keep refreshing…even so, the items tend to sell out in well under half an hour.

The best exclusives, to my mind, are packaging. Or silly stuff that most folks won't really worry about, like Matty's translucent Orko from MOTUC several years ago. The only thing I kinda wanted from the SDCC version was the book with the logo; that was a nifty accessory. But I was otherwise perfectly happy buying the 'regular' version online after the show, since it wasn't translucent! If you're getting it because it's exclusive, odds are you're not gonna open it; if that's the case, then packaging should be more than enough to make it 'exclusive', allowing fans who couldn't make it out there for whatever reason to be able to get the item and free it from its non-exclusive plastic/cardboard prison.

Having the Collector be exclusive seems too (sadly) appropriate to be a coincidence… bet someone had a good laugh about it. Still, there's always hope for Decool & others.

Shhhhh you guys. Quiet down. Lego is listening don't give them anymore ideas for exclusives..... :cry_sad:

Edited by Kire

Holy mega blocks, these exclusives keep getting better and better, I just really hope that the Batmobile set doesn't include an 'exclusive' figure. :classic:

It's like they're making cookies for you and then making an 'exclusive' cookie once a year for less than 1% of the customers. Just forget about that cookie. Your collection can be complete with out this cookie. The 'exclusive' cookie is not necessary, the creators just want to get peoples attention. Guys...imagining they wouldn't do the exclusives. What would be different? You still wouldn't get that Collector or Spiderwomen or whatever. I know it's hard if there's a chance of getting something you really want ( I know that feeling I Would die for a collector minifigure) but you can't get it because you life too far away or so. But really....who says you need this mini figure (except your inner child)? I'm sad that I'm not getting the collector minifigure but when new pictures of a new wave of sets appears all this thought will be washed away. Sorry for being to emotionally!:)

I try to think that way too. My life is not incomplete without Bizarro, Green Arrow, and the Collector. But it's just too bad that the event demands exclusives. There would be no novelty in older minifigures, so previews are the best way to go, since they get a minifigure with nice packaging early, while fans will get the same one later. As long as it's not a Batman rogue like Mad Hatter, I'm fine (and I just jinxed myself, didn't I).

Edited by 8BrickMario

They know we're unhappy over these exclusives, but it's not stopping them from making more. :hmpf_bad:

Hey guys! How many exclusive *

super heroes* minifgs did they hand out in the last year?

Welcoem to Eurobricks. I am aware of only one LEGO Store / Shop@Home Marvel exclusive. It was a minifig sized Hulk.

It's like they're making cookies for you and then making an 'exclusive' cookie once a year for less than 1% of the customers. Just forget about that cookie. Your collection can be complete with out this cookie. The 'exclusive' cookie is not necessary, the creators just want to get peoples attention. Guys...imagining they wouldn't do the exclusives. What would be different? You still wouldn't get that Collector or Spiderwomen or whatever. I know it's hard if there's a chance of getting something you really want ( I know that feeling I Would die for a collector minifigure) but you can't get it because you life too far away or so. But really....who says you need this mini figure (except your inner child)? I'm sad that I'm not getting the collector minifigure but when new pictures of a new wave of sets appears all this thought will be washed away. Sorry for being to emotionally!:)

Yes, you're absolutely right. But when a significant number of AFOLs are interested in the collecting as well as the building element of Lego then what TLG is doing is self-destructive. Obviously they can choose to do what they want with their product, but as consumers we can choose what to do too - be it buy copy figures from alternative brands; start buying sets for resale to fund the purchase of SDCC exclusives or simply to stop collecting (as what's the point of a collection it's impossible to complete). I'm not sure these are the sorts of outcomes TLG really wants to achieve.

We have to realize that SDCC is at fault. If LEGO is to appear there (and since they have Marvel and DC licenses, they almost have to), they'll be under pressure to have exclusive giveaways, since other companies do it, too. The problem here is that the theme is fairly new for LEGO, so when they make an exclusive, we don't have it yet and say they shouldn't have made it for SDCC and given it to us in the main market. When it's as old as Star Wars, we'll probably be fat and happy from all of the excellent minifigures LEGO gave us, so we won't care as much about the exclusives.

I hope that Batman doesn't have a TLM-style face. And how does that expression-changing Unikitty work? And that Angry Kitty is hideous, one exclusive I don't mind missing.

Edited by 8BrickMario